Why dont people want J.Buss as GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
he just a daddy's boy who would be nothing if he wasnt born into money, give the job to the person most qualified

Do I sense a little jealousy here?- as in the other posts dissing Jim Buss with no reason other than he bets on horses. No, I am not Jim Buss.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

yes im dying in envy :roll:
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
bounty wrote:
orwell wrote:
Jim Buss as GM? No comment.

Why? because peter Vescey says no

No, I do not give a flying [BLEEP] what Peter Vescey thinks! I just don't want the Los Angeles Lakers to turn in to another Dallas Mavericks. The Lakers organization does not need a Mark Cuban type of character for GM.

Thanks for stopping by, Jimmy!

Yes we do. You dont think Cubes would have put players next to KOBE? Thats exactly what we need. Right now we have a GM who over thinks the process. Its all about get Kobe and PJ talent we win. Dallas could very easily win a ring this year.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
Yes we do. You dont think Cubes would have put players next to KOBE? Thats exactly what we need. Right now we have a GM who over thinks the process. Its all about get Kobe and PJ talent we win. Dallas could very easily win a ring this year.

They think they will win, but they manage to choke every single year. I will reserve my judgement about Dallas for now until the season is over. We will see... :roll:
hawshark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Why dont people want J.Buss as GM

bounty wrote:
He won 2 titles in the wnba, hey its something.
He is a star F****R, which is good for the team. "Stars" usually mean talent. We need talent. He at least on the surface likes the GLORY of being a "Player" in the world of NBA owners and that usually means a guy who wants to surround the team with hype and media attention. People seem to cast there judgement on him based off Vescys article over the summer, but living in LA Jim is known as a pretty chill dude.

I am down with having a guy who loves stars making deals. He is in thick with hollywood folk and he HAS TO KNOW what people are saying. IMO Kup is getting in his way.
Please if you are going to crack on him come up with a better reason than he raised horses

Are You Friggin' Kidding Me????????????
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

We don't need a GM who is a basketball genius any more than my company needs a CEO who is a software engineering genius. We need someone who can recognize whose opinions to trust, who can attract and hire the best specialized support group, and who can negotiate and close deals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I want Kiki as our GM.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

ShadyG wrote:
We don't need a GM who is a basketball genius any more than my company needs a CEO who is a software engineering genius. We need someone who can recognize whose opinions to trust, who can attract and hire the best specialized support group, and who can negotiate and close deals.

i dont even think anyone said we need a basketball expert for a coach

im pretty sure we all know that being a GM takes both knowledge of whats needed to create a good team on court and of the offcourt NBA business in dealing to get those players

but i think ill go out on a limb and say J Buss is not the most qualified for this
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
LoL bashing him because he raised horses is as futile as praising him for fornicating with celebrities.

Neither has anything to do with basketball.

I think that is why people don't want him though. He hasn't proven to us he knows enough about basketball. People (myself included) feel safer that has grown up/played/coached basketball. Sure his father is the owner of the Lakers, but he has no past connections the game itself, only on how to own a sports franchise. While he may be qualified, I feel he would be more of a risk than say, Magic or someone else that has been connected to the game for a while.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

B_Rabbit1212 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
LoL bashing him because he raised horses is as futile as praising him for fornicating with celebrities.

I think that is why people don't want him though. He hasn't proven to us he knows enough about basketball. People (myself included) feel safer that has grown up/played/coached basketball. Sure his father is the owner of the Lakers, but he has no past connections the game itself, only on how to own a sports franchise. While he may be qualified, I feel he would be more of a risk than say, Magic or someone else that has been connected to the game for a while.

I take it that Kupchak who is supposedly qualified isn't singlehandedly wrecking the lakers if he hasn't already wrecked them

or,

maybe you prefer Magic Johnson who thinks and has publicly stated tha "Lamar Odom has the best basketball mind on the team".
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
B_Rabbit1212 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

I take it that Kupchak who is supposedly qualified isn't singlehandedly wrecking the lakers if he hasn't already wrecked them

or,

maybe you prefer Magic Johnson who thinks and has publicly stated tha "Lamar Odom has the best basketball mind on the team".

Hey I am no Kuppy-jocker and while not necessarily on the forums, I have certaintly been critical about Kupchak to anyone that will listen to me.

As for Magic, it was a name brought up earlier, I was mearly using it as an example.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
How come Jeannie doesn't get first dibs at this? She's not a screw up.

There are two sides in this and basketball fans keep getting things mixed up. Jeanie Buss IS in charge of the Lakers, from a BUSINESS aspect. When it comes to business, everyone reports to her. Jim Buss, will be in charge of the Lakers from a BASKETBALL aspect.

So Jeanie would be in charge of revenue/expenses of the Lakers, whether the Lakers move from L.A., change the Lakers name, logo, colors, etc...

Jim Buss would be the one responsible for trading player A for player B

So say Jim makes a stupid trade or three and the season tickets go down, then Jeanie can put pressure on Jim to get help and put together a winning team to increase ticket sales.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully its not another classic case of the first generation starting the business and the next generation blowing it away.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone else other then me watch the "Behind the Glory" episode of the Buss family??

To me, it seems that Jeanie is a flat out winner, who at a very young and pretty age was able to be very succesful in promoting tennis at the forum in the 80s.

Jim Buss, you guys know the one your bashing for NO APPARENT REASON, has had a very hard life for someone born into a billionare family...

Jim Buss lost his best friend when they were with Jeanie motorbiking in Hawaii in the 80s. As Jim went around a corner of a mountain he realized that his friend had been hit and killed instantly by a semi.

Then, he fell into depression but found love with a pretty model who got killed when she stepped out of a helicopter and the blades nearly took her head off, in front of him

Then he adopted a son with his new wife and in weeks she wanted to get rid of the baby, so you know what Jim did? He got rid of her and kept and raised the boy to this day.

Jim like has father Dr. Buss is a very sensitive compasionate and intelligent man. No one knew that Rudy T was sick. You can't blame Jim for that. I think Jimmy Buss would be a fine GM, in regards to compassion and intelligence.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: