Kwame done already in LA?(my opinion, not trade rumor)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Kwame done already in LA?(my opinion, not trade rumor)

As everyone knows, it is mental with kwame. now ppl are saying how kwame is yelling at phil. and maybe kobe too? you know phil and kobe probably ride kwame in practice(as they should). and kwame has gotten worse as the year as gone by. maybe phil and kobe have broken kwame? hes so fragile. now the crowd is booing him too.

what do you guys think?
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

meow
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Kwame done already in LA?(my opinion, not trade rumor)

Purplereign34 wrote:
As everyone knows, it is mental with kwame. now ppl are saying how kwame is yelling at phil. and maybe kobe too? you know phil and kobe probably ride kwame in practice(as they should). and kwame has gotten worse as the year as gone by. maybe phil and kobe have broken kwame? hes so fragile. now the crowd is booing him too.

what do you guys think?

Nope...The Lakers knew they were taking on a project and are going to continue to be much more patient than fans. I don't think they'll even consider jumping ship on Kwame before next December. If Kwame doesn't show much more promise between now and then, well then he's probably trade bait. But I highly doubt the Laker organization will jump ship at this early stage. That's just never been their MO.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:

If Kwame's third year isn't guaranteed, it makes things a lot easier. He'd be an 8-million expiring contract
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
If Kwame's third year isn't guaranteed, it makes things a lot easier. He'd be an 8-million expiring contract

And in the fact that he was extended, I think you can start to see the organizations intentions in regards to Kwame. They are willing to be patient. They like what he brings defensively already and are willing to give him a full year plus to produce offensively. I think it's a good tact on their part. Nothing to lose but a whole lot to gain...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:

It boggles the mind. The kid has been given a 2nd chance (actually, a 3rd, 4th and 5th as well) and he's not getting it done. He could have been the starting 4 or 5 for the freaking Lakers and he's blowing it (or already blew it). He has one of the best bigs on the planet available to teach him and expand his game and he's not taking advantage of the opportunity.

The kid is on the verge of finishing up his tenure with the Lakers as a 2nd or 3rd string front court guy and he either doesn't realize it or he doesn't believe that it's possible. There doesn't seem to be any way to reach him. He has been coddled and he has been called out. He has been insulted and praised. Nothing has worked.

And now, he has been flat out outplayed by a rookie who has had almost no time with the team who had open heart surgery this summer.

Granted, his post man D is still very good, but that's about it.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:

We're stuck with his contract for 2 1/2 more seasons. He isn't going anywhere, unless another team is silly enough to take his bloated contract. The saddest part is Slava could easily put up the same numbers Kwame is putting up, if not better, while making less than half as much. Kwame's defense is solid when he brings the effort, but it's just not always there. For that kind of money, you have to be able to do at least 1 thing consistently.

Kwame is just a pawn in the 2008 plan. Is he done in L.A.? Yeah, but not until his contract runs out. He's just a 2 year lame duck.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Charles wrote:

And in the fact that he was extended, I think you can start to see the organizations intentions in regards to Kwame. They are willing to be patient. They like what he brings defensively already and are willing to give him a full year plus to produce offensively. I think it's a good tact on their part. Nothing to lose but a whole lot to gain...

I think it has very little to do with being patient and trusting him. They gave up on the 2007 plan and are now targetting 2008. It's easier to guarantee his 3rd year, then it would be to sign him to a 1 year deal after his first 2 years are up. It's just a strategical move to get under the cap in 2008. If he becomes a decent player by then, it would just be a bonus. Like I said, Kwame is just a pawn in the 2008 plan.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
It boggles the mind. The kid has been given a 2nd chance (actually, a 3rd, 4th and 5th as well) and he's not getting it done. He could have been the starting 4 or 5 for the freaking Lakers and he's blowing it (or already blew it). He has one of the best bigs on the planet available to teach him and expand his game and he's not taking advantage of the opportunity.

The kid is on the verge of finishing up his tenure with the Lakers as a 2nd or 3rd string front court guy and he either doesn't realize it or he doesn't believe that it's possible. There doesn't seem to be any way to reach him. He has been coddled and he has been called out. He has been insulted and praised. Nothing has worked.

And now, he has been flat out outplayed by a rookie who has had almost no time with the team who had open heart surgery this summer.

Casual fans have aready given up on him, but the people who actually get paid to produce a basketball product in the NBA have not given up on him and I think that speaks volumes. The organisation is being patient and is satisfied with half of Kwames game. They are willing to wait and render jugement until they give him a fair shot at producing the other half and that's just smart. Barkleying on Kwame is easy, but if he is able to bring the offensive half of the game before years end then it would have been a waste to give up on him. Simple patience is the intelligent pathe right now...
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Charles wrote:

I think it has very little to do with being patient and trusting him. They gave up on the 2007 plan and are now targetting 2008. It's easier to guarantee his 3rd year, then it would be to sign him to a 1 year deal after his first 2 years are up. It's just a strategical move to get under the cap in 2008. If he becomes a decent player by then, it would just be a bonus. Like I said, Kwame is just a pawn in the 2008 plan.

Agreed. But as I said, they have nothing to lose and potentially everything to gain, so they are being smart in keeping him around...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

The bright side is that the kid who is outplaying him is on the team and will get better. Hopefully, a Bynum-Turiaf-Kwame trio ( a good post defender, a potentially dominant shot-blocker, and a hustler who does some of both) will continue to develop, and more perimeter talent will be added.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kwame done already in LA?(my opinion, not trade rumor)

Purplereign34 wrote:

what do you guys think?

It's more than just mental -- Kwame simply has not learned how to play basketball -- he has no touch around the basket.

Kwame for Butler et.al. has to rate as MK's all time trade blunders.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

I was supportive of the Butler for Kwame deal when it happened i really thought Kwame would've change his ways in a Laker uniform heck he even stated that this is the Lakers but the guy is all about talk.

Look at his body this guy can become a Jermaine O,Neal type player if he ever had the heart & skill this guy has been a waste to the NBA talent what a bust
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject:

Kwame doesn't understand the game of basketball. That and the lack of passion he plays with undermine his great physical abilities.

He is guaranteed through next year and his trade value is nilch so I won't say he's done in LA. Also, people like Ronny, Kobe and Phil are infectious. There work ethics, thinking patterns and intensity rub off. That is why they are effective at whatever they do.

Let's hope Kwame catches a little of it.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Warm Fuzzies
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Kwame will train hard this offseason, because now he knows(and I use this term ver loosely) the offense and defense. He's in a new system and as far as Im concerned he's a rookie. I just wish he comes around, and I dont wanna give up on him yet, I say give him till the last year of his contract before we "ship him off" for nothing.
kobeodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject:

we might be better off waiving kwame and picking someone up for the minimum. that way, we'd be paying someone for the min + kwame's 8 mil, but we'd have someone who actually TRIES to play.

whos been waived that could be helpful to us for the min?
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject:

kobeodom wrote:
we might be better off waiving kwame and picking someone up for the minimum. that way, we'd be paying someone for the min + kwame's 8 mil, but we'd have someone who actually TRIES to play.

That's easier said than done. We're already paying Brian Grant a huge amount and mind you he's not even playing for us anymore. Let's face it. We're stuck with this stiff until his contract expires... unless we can find a way to dump him to another team... like the Knicks.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:

if he keeps up playing like a scrub then he was a misconception, yet again so was almost every Mitch signing.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject:

kobeodom wrote:

His contract is too valuable for that. He's going to be a big expiring contract last season, similar to Penny Hardaway this season. I believe it was Emplay who said that it was believed that his contract was similar to Van Exels where if we don't trade him mid-next season, we could trade him that summer and a team could immediatly waive him and give them instant salary cap relief. The contract is too valuable to let go.
WIZ/LAKE FAN
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Kwame done already in LA?(my opinion, not trade rumor)

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Purplereign34 wrote:

what do you guys think?

It's more than just mental -- Kwame simply has not learned how to play basketball -- he has no touch around the basket.

Please go to CBS sportsline.com and check out Kwame's 03-04 stats for the season. This was the only year the Wizards gave him the ball. And guess what, he produced. The Lakers will continue to get nothing from him if they don't give him touches. Iv'e seen every Wizards game Kwame played in, and even his biggest critics will admit he played better when he got touches. The Lakers should of known this when they traded for him. If you don't get him involved early, he loses focus. If you get him involved he is a different player.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kwame done already in LA?(my opinion, not trade rumor)

WIZ/LAKE FAN wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Purplereign34 wrote:

what do you guys think?

Please go to CBS sportsline.com and check out Kwame's 03-04 stats for the season. This was the only year the Wizards gave him the ball. And guess what, he produced. The Lakers will continue to get nothing from him if they don't give him touches. Iv'e seen every Wizards game Kwame played in, and even his biggest critics will admit he played better when he got touches. The Lakers should of known this when they traded for him. If you don't get him involved early, he loses focus. If you get him involved he is a different player.

I think you are spot on re: Kwame and touches. I feel pretty certain that Phil decided back in January to just let the remainder of this season be a defensive focus for Kwame. I think he correctly recognised that Kwame was at risk of getting down on himself and wanted to take a bit of pressure off. It's about the time Phil started emphasizing that he'd be satisfied with Kwame concentrating on being a strong low post defensive presense and in that regard Kwames found a fair bit of success. I'd bet that Phil won't run any plays through Kwame for the remainder of this season and doing so could have a good chance on helping Kwame next season. If you look at Kwames reactions when he screws up in the offense now, vs the beginning of the season you can see that he's not being as hard on himself and that likely comes from Phil having taken the pressure off of him on the offensive end. It primes Kwame to excel from a pshchological standpoint when he starts getting touches next season. He'll know where he's supposed to be on the court, will have a developed role as a defensive presense and will not be as likely to try to rush his shots whenn he gets opportunities on the offensive end. I think Phil will run two to four set plays through Kwame at the start of next season and gradually increase his role on the offnsive end as he experiences some success.

The Lakers knew they were taking on a project in Kwame and it looks as if they are willing to intelligently nurture that project. The promise is just too much to throw away and give up upon without a diligent effort to get Kwame to realise his potential. Fans give up on a player when they don't get to see him score a lot, but rebuilding organisations generally will have more patience and realistic expectations. Kwame won't have any real offensive expectations for the remainder of this year, but I think people will start to see you point of his need for touches next year as he starts producing more when those touches go up. It's pretty much the same story for most young bigs under the age of 26.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

My biggest problem with Kwame is that he is overpaid. I am an advocate for having Kwame on the team but not at that price. If he was making 3-4 million then I thought it would have been a good gamble but they really gambled a lot. Kwame better get off his @$$.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

They tried being all sensitive towards him, I think theyve probably tried everything with him. Phil has poked him in the media hoping it would get him mad similar to how Shaq was, but nothing has worked with this guy. HE CANT MAKE LAYUPS, so exactly how can we teach this guy to be a ball player. Kwame still shoots like an 8th grader who is nervous everytime he touches the ball. He rarely even comes close on a LAYUP, its almost unbelievable everytime I see it, but lucky for us it happnes almost every game. Shouldnt this guy be passed bricking OPEN LAYUPS and be moving on to other parts of his game. Most of us saw this when the deal was made, he was complete garbage in Washington now hes complete garbage here. Go check some Washington message boards from the Kwame years and they will look exactly the same as the ones we have today. Washington was fooled the first time but our dumb as5es got fooled the 2nd time.
mrdectown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

Touches? you guys cant be serious. Ok was he fumbling the ball like this last year?
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Casual fans have aready given up on him, but the people who actually get paid to produce a basketball product in the NBA have not given up on him and I think that speaks volumes. The organisation is being patient and is satisfied with half of Kwames game. They are willing to wait and render jugement until they give him a fair shot at producing the other half and that's just smart. Barkleying on Kwame is easy, but if he is able to bring the offensive half of the game before years end then it would have been a waste to give up on him. Simple patience is the intelligent pathe right now...

The people who pay him have no other choice but to keep helping him and hoping he comes along. What else can they do? Its of no benefit for them to give up, that wouldnt make any sense. I still think we need verification on that optional thrid year. Im not sure its been picked up, can we send an Email to Jon Black with this Question, it might be useful info.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: