How do you deal with this team's awfulness?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:

take a deep breath and think 'this won't last forever, someday they will be better' then I remind myself that there are worse things in the world , then I try to find some positives to take out of it, and then I go on with my day, although in a decidedly more melancholy mood...
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:

I've grown to like American Idol and Dancing With The Stars. Damn you, Mitch!!
KobeLakers4life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with this team's awfulness?

uberzev wrote:
I don't usually drink but I'm pretty hammered right now. Damn you Mitch.

That's simple just don't buy Laker tickets. If LA fans stopped buying season tickets and regular tickets I promise you there will be immediate changes.
Laker fans (not homers) have to demand a better product, and if we are content with what we've got then this is what you will get.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Same way I dealt with it in the 90's.

Lowered expectations for the present and hope for the future.

That's exactly how I deal with it. That being said, I still get frustrated when I see us lose to sub .500 teams like the Celtics and Hawks at HOME.
I also think about my two young boys and realize that there are many more important things in life. I want us to win every game, of course, but that helps me keep things in perspective.

Last edited by BigE32 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Public beheadings of the slackers would, I think, be extremely effective.

SGH

"beheadings"?, "flesh-eating bacteria"?

You're really developing a dark side SGH

The best way to deal with the Lakers struggles, unfortunately, is a way I haven't been able to do and that's stay off of these message boards.

It's tough watching games knowing that as soon as any other Laker except Kobe makes a mistake, people are going to be screaming he sucks.

I can't help it though. I love talking Laker basketball, even if it is to a bunch of fatalistic doomsayers.

It's the few knowledgeable fans who don't come apart after every loss or even every missed shot that keep me hanging on.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
I talk to my best friend, who's a Golden State Warriors fan. They have "the best back court in the league", remember? This was supposed to be a year when they finally made the playoffs. At least the Lakers still have a chance of making the playoffs. The Warriors, at this point, have none. And then I think about all the championships the Lakers have won, and all the finals appearances they've made, and realize there are teams out there that have yet to even make the playoffs, and I feel pretty lucky to be a Lakers fan.

Some folks just don't get it...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:

Be thankful management hasn't unveiled a cheery mascot, to take the sting out of losing.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:

honestly i used to get so pissed off..

but now, i honestly don't even care. that's what mitch's "excellence" has done to me. i just laugh and shake my head now.. even when the 90's lakeshow lost games it bothered me bigtime, and those teams had way less talent than even kobe alone.. but at least i felt like they played hard everytime out there.

i don't get that feeling with this team, because this team just doesn't have that loveable quality about them that past laker teams had.

at least logo put together teams that would compete .. this team just blows games when they're close, and the only reason they're close is because of kobe, usually.

before, laker games would be a huge event that i would anticipate the entire day leading up to it.. my whole attitude and mood contingent upon a lakers win or loss.

now, it's just like some tv show that i remember at the last second.. "oh yeah, there's a game on."

i just don't care like i used to and that's kinda sad.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

Conveniently, I barely have time in my life to watch the games this year. The few games I caught included Kobe's 62 and the last half of the 81 point game, so as long as I avoid the standings I can delude myself into believing it's not as bad as it really is.
froesel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

When the Lakers have a season like this years, I reflect on the great moments of the season. Kobe's 81, 62 and just watch Kobe play. Watching Ronnie and Andrew play and think they are the future of the Laker's rebuilding.

Being a Laker fan is not about winning or losing. Having been a Laker fan since they were in MN, I have seen the good and the best. That is why I love the Lakers.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

I think back to the championship years, and I try to realize that these are the tough years we have to go through. So far we have a Great coach and one Great player. I doesnt seem like a problem that cant be fixed but with Mitch at the helm Im a little worried.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

CheetahMan wrote:
Avoid this forum.

Nah man...This forum is excellent therapy. After a loss I get to come here and see all the haters and I'm instantly reminded of how good life really is. Just imagine if everyday you woke up waiting for the next bad thing to happen so you could celebrate how much it sucks and then the only joy in your life is mocking the misery of others. Could you imagine such a pathetic existence. Just being reminded that my life isn't like that always perks me up after a loss.

Also, the following little concoction helps to sooth the pain while I patiently await the Lakers eventual return to dominance:

1 part Dark Rum
1 part Light Rum
2 parts Chambord
A splash of Sambuca
Shaken, not stirred

1 Jenna Jameson DVD
2 pats of Baby Lotion
Quick call to order from "Geisha's to go" massage parlor
Background music of "Chick Hearns Greatest hits"
Followup call to "Geisha's to go" to see what's taking so long
Chat with the neighbor I've been trying to root for the past two years
Nice "Massage"
Fade off into a deep slumber....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

Just last night, I went to my TiVo archives and watched Kobe's 81 point game against the Raptors.

Last season sucked. I let the losing get to me. It got so bad, I wouldn't even set my TiVo to record the games because I knew I'd be pissed off at the results. This season, I'm not gonna let these morons make me regret paying $170 for League Pass, just so I can watch Laker games here in AZ. I'm gonna try to squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of what has become a depressing season so far.

I know there are people out there who say that individual accomplishments and solo performances don't matter unless the team is winning, but I say they're wrong. Watching Kobe's play this season has been like taking Vicodin after a surgery. It doesn't help the wounds heal, and it doesn't speed up the recovery. It sure as hell helps take your mind off the pain, though, even if it's only temporary.

I am hereby announcing that henceforth, I shall refer to Kobe as "Vicodin." (OK, maybe not, but do you feel me on the analogy?)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

I am secure in the fact that even though the Lakers are rebuilding, they are still better than a lot of other teams. And they will get better, while other teams won't.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:
honestly i used to get so pissed off..

but now, i honestly don't even care. that's what mitch's "excellence" has done to me. i just laugh and shake my head now.. even when the 90's lakeshow lost games it bothered me bigtime, and those teams had way less talent than even kobe alone.. but at least i felt like they played hard everytime out there.

i don't get that feeling with this team, because this team just doesn't have that loveable quality about them that past laker teams had.

at least logo put together teams that would compete .. this team just blows games when they're close, and the only reason they're close is because of kobe, usually.

before, laker games would be a huge event that i would anticipate the entire day leading up to it.. my whole attitude and mood contingent upon a lakers win or loss.

now, it's just like some tv show that i remember at the last second.. "oh yeah, there's a game on."

i just don't care like i used to and that's kinda sad.

Agreed - apathy is setting in. Even going to the games has become boring - I'd rather just work late.

This league doesn't reward stupidity, no matter how great of a history you have. Accordingly, the FO is getting what it deserves.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

This team isn't awful.
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Hard to take...

May I remind everyone that the Lakers have in the past have even worse teams...and with a little patience they have rebuilt a great team. Just be patient. I don't think Dr. Buss will stand for a loser for very long.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:

No, its NOT the losing that bothers me ... its:

- the missed opportunities in drafts, MLE's, signings
- the lack of progress in some players
- the poor decision making by even some vets on this team
- the apparent lack of a cohesive plan to become better

Everyone loses one time or another. Its how you deal with it that matters.

-ThePageDude
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

Well, I play NBA 2k6 on my Xbox 360 and I am 17-9 right now. That makes me feel better
RedSnapper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Well...

I had a rare opportunity to watch a Laker game (instead of just listen to it) this past Sunday, and found it so completely awful that I changed the station half way through the first quarter.

If this team is not whipped into shape pretty soon, they are going to start loosing those high-priced clients. (Maybe then I could afford a ticket for a seat that is actually better than TV once in a while.) Right now, this team's product is unwatchable far too often.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:

Ko8e8ryant wrote:
This team isn't awful.

That's relative.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Philostrator wrote:
Watch the Clippers

tried that - they are unwatchable.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with this team's awfulness?

uberzev wrote:
I don't usually drink but I'm pretty hammered right now. Damn you Mitch.

breathe and re-play the game on NBA Live on ROOKIE mode. Then I get a glimpse of what this team was expected to look like!...LOL...And even better, I get to play GM also!

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

shane wrote:
sex.

funny - that's what I do when they win too!
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
shane wrote:
sex.

funny - that's what I do when they win too!

Yeah - my wife won't have sex with me after a loss. She says I'm too rough. It creeps her out when I yell at her to play some damn defense, and stop standing around watching Kobe. I don't know what her problem is.

(Just in case anybody needs clarification, the above story is fictitious.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: