Last year vs This year’s team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:
I think its pretty simple. There’s no chemistry on this years team. And as the losses mount up its clear these guys are not working as a team.

Maybe it changes, but it’s a team sports issue. Some teams just don’t gel - regardless of how good on paper they are.

except when we were healthy and grinding teams down in the 4th and everyone getting along etc.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
I think its pretty simple. There’s no chemistry on this years team. And as the losses mount up its clear these guys are not working as a team.

Maybe it changes, but it’s a team sports issue. Some teams just don’t gel - regardless of how good on paper they are.

except when we were healthy and grinding teams down in the 4th and everyone getting along etc.

Sure, there have been some stretches where it was all good. Outside of the second half of the Nuggets victory, this team has not lived up to expectations.

In fact, over the last month you could make the case we are one of the worst teams in the league.

Either they work this out or it was a ‘good on paper’ team.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:

Sure, there have been some stretches where it was all good. Outside of the second half of the Nuggets victory, this team has not lived up to expectations.

In fact, over the last month you could make the case we are one of the worst teams in the league.

we were #1 in standings. With excellent data. Thats with being a new team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

When we were healthy we smacked down teams like the Nuggets and Bucks. AD's injury has really put this team in a tough place, and then compounded with Dennis's absence.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:

We also had one of the easiest, if not the easiest schedule, in the nba. We were barely surviving in overtimes at full strength to some of the worst teams in the nba. Even without the recent injury-riddled games we had a losing record to .500 teams. We've only had like 9 or 10 practices so it could just take more time, but I thought we'd look better as a team.

Last edited by Ksig on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:

We also had one of the easiest, if not the easiest schedule, in the nba. We were barely surviving in overtimes at full strength to some of the worst teams in the nba. Even without the recent injury-riddled games we had a losing record to .500 teams.

Come on. nets lost to cavs, clipps lost to sac . we turned it on when needed. facts are we were #1. now with injuries to 2 of our 3 best players we arent. Take any teams 2nd and 3rd best players and i have to believe they struggle. It could be argued that davis is our most important. not a long argument but one nonetheless.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Come on. nets lost to cavs, clipps lost to sac . we turned it on when needed. facts are we were #1. now with injuries to 2 of our 3 best players we arent. Take any teams 2nd and 3rd best players and i have to believe they struggle. It could be argued that davis is our most important. not a long argument but one nonetheless.

The nets are often without one if not two of their stars and are playing well against top teams. We're getting waxed without AD. And the fact that DS is our 3rd best player playing the way he has this season is just so depressing.

I'm not surprised we're losing without AD, I was just saying our best record early in the season was also due to us having the easiest schedule in the nba.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Halflife wrote:

The nets are often without one if not two of their stars and are playing well against top teams. We're getting waxed without AD. And the fact that DS is our 3rd best player playing the way he has this season is just so depressing.

I'm not surprised we're losing without AD, I was just saying our best record early in the season was also due to us having the easiest schedule in the nba.

ds is an excellent 3rd option. we were 5-1 without AD. without both worse.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:

Amazing what short memories people have.

As bad as this last week has been we are still sitting with the 3rd best record in the entire league and a game behind #2. And I think we can all agree that had we been healthy the last week wouldn’t have gone as bad as it has.

As far as comparing last years team to this years, you can’t begin to engage in such an exercise until you recognize the insanity that is this current season. Players had very little time to rest and recharge before this season started. Teams are barely practicing. They’re losing players left and right to Covid protocols. No fans. Injuries. Last years team had great luck with health. This year we’ve lost our 2nd best guy for over a month and our 3rd best guy for a key stretch because of contact tracing and we aren’t even at the All Star Break yet. Just listen to the players. They’ll tell you they’re exhausted.

If you think this bad stretch would have been fixed if (bleep) Javale McGee were playing you’re seriously out of touch with what’s happening right now. Pretty much every team is lethargic and underperforming except Utah and we’ll see just how well this shooting holds up over the rest of the season and playoffs.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Ksig wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Hes shooting 44%/31% and makes the dumbest turnovers on our team imo. His defense is better than advertised but excellent is where you lost me.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:

Amazing what short memories people have.

As bad as this last week has been we are still sitting with the 3rd best record in the entire league and a game behind #2. And I think we can all agree that had we been healthy the last week wouldn’t have gone as bad as it has.

As far as comparing last years team to this years, you can’t begin to engage in such an exercise until you recognize the insanity that is this current season. Players had very little time to rest and recharge before this season started. Teams are barely practicing. They’re losing players left and right to Covid protocols. No fans. Injuries. Last years team had great luck with health. This year we’ve lost our 2nd best guy for over a month and our 3rd best guy for a key stretch because of contact tracing and we aren’t even at the All Star Break yet. Just listen to the players. They’ll tell you they’re exhausted.

If you think this bad stretch would have been fixed if (bleep) Javale McGee were playing you’re seriously out of touch with what’s happening right now. Pretty much every team is lethargic and underperforming except Utah and we’ll see just how well this shooting holds up over the rest of the season and playoffs.

People just forget how much the team gel last year. Starting from China, all the team bonding, all the goofing and playing around, actual practice and teaching time and actual fan interaction for a good 4-5 months before the Covid protocol hit. That makes a huge difference, plus California Covid protocol is one of the strictest in the country. Hard to replicate the same success, but I do feel this team will find the groove with a little tweaking and be ready when the playoff comes around.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

It seems to me this team is so much better offensively (outside of the crap shooting the past 15 games). The main difference I see is teams are not afraid to attack the Lakers in the paint and actually converting easy baskets.

The consequence is the Lakers are unable to separate. It feels like teams are hitting roughly the same 3s against the Lakers as last season. Maybe this team is slightly better at the perimeter defending with Schroder but man the paint points are allowing the opposition to stay in games. If we had a rim protector, we wouldn’t be losing 15 point leads tbh.

Some of it is fatigue, but this team can’t stop anyone at the rim and that’s the main issue imo...easy baskets to negate everything LBJ run offense builds...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ksig wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Hes shooting 44%/31% and makes the dumbest turnovers on our team imo. His defense is better than advertised but excellent is where you lost me.

I just by results of team and player role. Regardless of his data, we won with him as our "2nd" guy. As our 3rd guy we were elite.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I just by results of team and player role. Regardless of his data, we won with him as our "2nd" guy. As our 3rd guy we were elite.

Fair, I hope he starts playing better. In theory he should fit on our team but he's been so passive playing next to Bron.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Last year’s team had an identity, we were BIG.

Even when we couldn’t make shots, we got by with our defensive length.

This year, what’s our identity?

Yes exactly. BIG is what's missing.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Ksig wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:

We also had one of the easiest, if not the easiest schedule, in the nba. We were barely surviving in overtimes at full strength to some of the worst teams in the nba. Even without the recent injury-riddled games we had a losing record to .500 teams.

have you seen our schedule?
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

dont get fooled by our no 3 standing. we played one of the easiest schedule and our 2nd half schedule is brutal.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ksig wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
Halflife wrote:
windycitycane wrote:

have you seen our schedule?

pre or post? Yes. early on we were undefeated on road because our D was stout. 2nd half yes. we play other NBA teams.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

This team is names on a paper that look good but don't seem to mesh on the court. Last years team they had great chemistry and bunch of cast offs that wanted to make their year on the Lakers be memorable.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
This team is names on a paper that look good but don't seem to mesh on the court. Last years team they had great chemistry and bunch of cast offs that wanted to make their year on the Lakers be memorable.

except when we were elite on both sides of the ball, 1st in west and dominating on the road.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

except when we were elite on both sides of the ball, 1st in west and dominating on the road.

They were playing a cupcake schedule and teams got better like the Nets and Jazz.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

We were a lob machine with Howard and Rondo. Now we're just another team. Anything we can do they can do better.

Last year, what's so special about the Lakers? Lebron and the twin towers of AD and Howard.

This year, what's so special about the Lakers? Lebron.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Last years team was way better IMO, not even close. The best addition to this years team has been TREZ, hands down. But if you consider all we lost:
Bradley + Rondo + JaVale + Howard
Those guys were key contributors and played at a high-level. We didn't get adequate value in return with Trez as the exception and Schroder running a close second.

With AD and Schroder out it's easy to see the type of team we are and ARE NOT! It's difficult for us to compete.

Hopefully we make some adequate changes soon, before we run LBJ into the ground... He may not be tired, but you can get tired losing real quick!
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They were playing a cupcake schedule and teams got better like the Nets and Jazz.

I spoke about this in the other thread asking which team was better. They played Houston 3 times while Harden shot bad and played no D. They beat Memphis multiple times, beat the Spurs without LA and afterward were 1-1 against them. It’s 100% true that most early wins were against cupcakes. That’s who all the early season blowouts were against. Against the other teams they were around .500 (1 above or below, going by memory).

I’m worn out by people who quickly forgot aspects of last year’s team:
They had a bulldog at pg who consistently made midrange shots.
What was left of LBJ’s 1st step, was still on life support (this year it’s basically dead).

There was a true pg in the rotation who could involve everyone, shot well from 3, and beat his man for layups regularly, not just in the playoffs.

The size of the defense allowed them to switch against guards and fwds without being outsized.

The bigs chased down and rejected and discouraged guards who thought they had easy layups all year long (Murray, Westbrook, Lillard, and more). Nobody’s afraid to drive now.

LG has selective memory about the centers last year, but I haven’t seen any 20 block games this year.

Lebron’s effectiveness is diminished without the ability to beat guys off the dribble. He’s not the same player as last year, so he regularly settles bad, contested, and distant shots. He’s not playing elite offense lately and defense is worse.

How many dunks has your starting center had this year? I haven’t seen 1. How about close range easy buckets when nobody else can make one? Offensive put backs?

Gobert getting endless lob dunks wasn’t happening last year because that pass was always contested.

This year, there’s no true pg. Lebron can’t beat anyone to the basket without 15 seconds of dribbling, so he’s not compromising defenses the way a quick pg can and does.

THT is proving that you need more than good dribbling to be a good pg.
DS is only looking to shoot when he drives.
AC isn’t a quality pg.

Those are just some of many points. With few exceptions, when they needed a big lineup, they were as good as anyone and made others pay. When they needed a smaller, more mobile lineup, they matched up well. There weren’t many mismatches.

Lastly, friendly chemistry didn’t win for them last year. Dudley was a great part of that, but he doesn’t belong in a non blowout. They still had to make shots and defend. Effort, skill, and ability won for them last year.

Last edited by lakersboy on Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yes. Blowouts were against scrub teams, including teams missing key pieces (Aldridge, McCollum). None were against a quality opponent.

The Lakers slide was apparent when they played 3 straight ot games against teams that had no business being in the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: