DAMIAN JONES 2-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
It comes down to expectations. If he is able to earn getting signed the rest of season, I would not expect him to get many regular mpg. Especially when Davis is playing full time again.

I would expect Jones to have some DNPs and a couple close out mins for a lot of games. But depending on matchups, injuries or just needing some energy he adds a new skillset to the Lakers roster.

Not a game changer but a nice complimentary piece of the puzzle to use when needed, if needed.

Exactly, to me he provides peace of mind.

He's the version of Dwight and McGee that we didn't have this year....now if we need it, we have it....He brings a different defense and energy...who can argue with 8 points,3 boards and 2 blocks in 8 minutes. I wouldn't expect those points but if he gets 10-12 minutes I definitely would expect 4-5 boards and about 2 blocks per game.

He’s a nice insurance to have isn’t he. Young enough too, off season with Bron/AD/Gasol/Vogel and we can expect more
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
King Randle wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
It comes down to expectations. If he is able to earn getting signed the rest of season, I would not expect him to get many regular mpg. Especially when Davis is playing full time again.

I would expect Jones to have some DNPs and a couple close out mins for a lot of games. But depending on matchups, injuries or just needing some energy he adds a new skillset to the Lakers roster.

Not a game changer but a nice complimentary piece of the puzzle to use when needed, if needed.

Exactly, to me he provides peace of mind.

He's the version of Dwight and McGee that we didn't have this year....now if we need it, we have it....He brings a different defense and energy...who can argue with 8 points,3 boards and 2 blocks in 8 minutes. I wouldn't expect those points but if he gets 10-12 minutes I definitely would expect 4-5 boards and about 2 blocks per game.

He’s a nice insurance to have isn’t he. Young enough too, off season with Bron/AD/Gasol/Vogel and we can expect more

Echo your thoughts completely.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject:

Damian Jones is a true 'Big' shot-altering center and takes up a ton of space in the paint and vertically as well.
He had a great showing up until he was pushed in the back going up for a layup, that foul should have been called. Hopefully it's not that bad, but could lead to less PT for him prior to his 10-Day ending.

I think the Lakers should consider keeping him if we don't get anyone else (highly-likely) and also consider him as a future role player. You can tell he seems to be somewhat of a late bloomer at the Pro Level, that seems to get disconnected at times. That could be a character trait as he doesn't seem to have the tenaciousness to dominate games, but has all the physical tools.

Maybe he's a potential project as it seems his frame can add more upper/lower muscle and not get pushed around so easily. His athleticism is off the chart. Hoping for the best for this young player (25), he'd be a nice addition!

Overall he had a great showing up until the injury, great size and athleticism, definitely what our team lacks!
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Goes to show the forward thinking this FO does. Analyze what they need, scouted the possible targets, waited for the time when they can make a move (10 day contract - started on feb 23 - no impact on salary cap if did not work). So many chicken little fan today, panic too early cause of a loss or they way the team are playing = no championship. I like Jones, still young and learning fill the need of vertical defense. My hope is he sticks and if we need more than 2 roster spot later can take kostas 2way contract.

its just called being a fan. people who think they can out coach a coach and out GM a gm .

I guess you are right, just frustrating to read when overall we are not bad just a tweak or 2 away. Jones played well yesterday, showed he can be very good vertical defender and threat offensively. Kostas needs to go, he just didnt develop and time for some new blood for the 2way. This can leave us with 2 more roster space. BTW Cacok, just looks like a player that can develop to a Caruso type role with the team, dont see Kostas anywhere close.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

He is surprisingly mobile for his size. He has potential to be switchable on some perimeter players. Looking forward to seeing more of this guy. Hope he does well and we sign him.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
He is surprisingly mobile for his size. He has potential to be switchable on some perimeter players. Looking forward to seeing more of this guy. Hope he does well and we sign him.

Agree with the mobility remark. Was impressed with his ability to stay in front of Pashall on a couple of iso plays. Ended up both times taking bad shots because he had nowhere to go.

A little thing but positive IMO.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

Love the hustle but a Dwight he certainly aint, a stick figure will get bullied by Jokic/Emid etc so more of a poor-man's McGee. But for a minimum 10 day deal no risk or assets to get Damian. Since Drummond is pipe and Dedmond is AWOL, plan C it was for Rob.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Love the hustle but a Dwight he certainly aint, a stick figure will get bullied by Jokic/Emid etc so more of a poor-man's McGee. But for a minimum 10 day deal no risk or assets to get Damian. Since Drummond is pipe and Dedmond is AWOL, plan C it was for Rob.

When you're digging at the bottom of the barrel, be happy when you find a functional DvD!
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

We are not going to be playing those two sinners most nights
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

Gasol is going to mix it up with Jokic and Emiid, those are extraordinary
players that are paid as such. Jones can't be at that same level, but, most
nights Jones can contribute nicely.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DrDent wrote:
So folks in the in-game thread are comparing him to McGee (minus the "Shaqtin a fool" plays). Active, can run the floor, take the lob, set screens, not an overly aggressive rebounder, can be a block threat in the interior (make guys entering the paint be wary), but can be physically pushed around vs strong (or stronger) players.

That's from this past game. In other words, IF that is what he is, he is the big many wanted (not perfect, but good enough), and he and Gasol give what we need there.

Personally, I think he’s just a “break in case of emergency” placeholder who will get us to the trade deadline with two 10-day contracts, but I don’t expect him to stick around or be a significant contributor.

I see a player that fits a specific need on this team that doesn’t require trade assets to get onto the team because he is now already here oh by the way he can also shoot free throws

I think people are going a little wild because he played really well in his little stint in the blowout. As a result, I saw one person protecting that he would average 6 blocks a game if he played 30-36 minutes, which is of course ridiculous.

For his career, he's a 67.1% free thrower. Which isn't terrible for a center, but it's not a great.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DrDent wrote:
So folks in the in-game thread are comparing him to McGee (minus the "Shaqtin a fool" plays). Active, can run the floor, take the lob, set screens, not an overly aggressive rebounder, can be a block threat in the interior (make guys entering the paint be wary), but can be physically pushed around vs strong (or stronger) players.

That's from this past game. In other words, IF that is what he is, he is the big many wanted (not perfect, but good enough), and he and Gasol give what we need there.

Personally, I think he’s just a “break in case of emergency” placeholder who will get us to the trade deadline with two 10-day contracts, but I don’t expect him to stick around or be a significant contributor.

I see a player that fits a specific need on this team that doesn’t require trade assets to get onto the team because he is now already here oh by the way he can also shoot free throws

I think people are going a little wild because he played really well in his little stint in the blowout. As a result, I saw one person protecting that he would average 6 blocks a game if he played 30-36 minutes, which is of course ridiculous.

For his career, he's a 67.1% free thrower. Which isn't terrible for a center, but it's not a great.

I advocated this Move and not going wild. Anyone can see we lacked a defensive center that could move his feet, block shots and catch lobs. That’s it. And this guy can provide that easily because of his size and athleticism. If he gets 10-12 minutes a night in the regular season he can easily average 4 ppg, 4 rpg 1-2 blocks. That’s more than enough. Obviously he’s not as good as Dwight but he’s right there with McGee, younger, faster and motivated. Brilliant move by Pelinka....and no one better to coach him than Vogel. I just hope he’s not too injured cuz that could hurt him.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

He is a great pickup for Pelinka, as a coach you want as many tools in you disposal. Gasol is very good position defender, but those times when he struggles and need a long vertical defender to stop those penetration a bit we can use Jones. I see jones as just another tool in the coaches toolbox.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DrDent wrote:

I advocated this Move and not going wild. Anyone can see we lacked a defensive center that could move his feet, block shots and catch lobs. That’s it. And this guy can provide that easily because of his size and athleticism. If he gets 10-12 minutes a night in the regular season he can easily average 4 ppg, 4 rpg 1-2 blocks. That’s more than enough. Obviously he’s not as good as Dwight but he’s right there with McGee, younger, faster and motivated. Brilliant move by Pelinka....and no one better to coach him than Vogel. I just hope he’s not too injured cuz that could hurt him.

Your rebounding and block shot projections are significantly higher than his career averages, so I'm not expecting that much production from him.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

The 10 day clock is ticking; He looked good in his Laker debut but getting injured didn't help his cause.
I hope he will be ready vs PHX. Good luck to the kid.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Your rebounding and block shot projections are significantly higher than his career averages, so I'm not expecting that much production from him.

idk.. this roster and coaching staff is much different then what he played with in GS. I agree we shouldn't just pencil him to those expected stats but I could def. see the potential. I'd say closer to 1 block though but the good thing is he could play free and not worry about fouls most nights. What Vogel has done with countless bigs now in his system it's not an impossible feat for Jones since he clearly fills a void for this team. We need to see more minutes then just a few rusty ones in garbage time though of course.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Players get better and they also find teams or teams find them that value their strengths .....in this case defense, block shots especially. So u project only what a player has been able to do the first 4 years or so? That’s pretty shallow thinking...Julius Randle wouldn’t be where he is or Brandon Ingram if u just went by their first few years. A lot of players find their niche after 4-5 years.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Players get better and they also find teams or teams find them that value their strengths .....in this case defense, block shots especially. So u project only what a player has been able to do the first 4 years or so? That’s pretty shallow thinking...Julius Randle wouldn’t be where he is or Brandon Ingram if u just went by their first few years. A lot of players find their niche after 4-5 years.

Players can certainly improve. But I don't expect a player to suddenly have a enormous leap in production just because the Lakers acquire him. If it happens, great. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Personally, I'm not expecting Jones to be around after his second 10-day contract. But maybe he'll surprise me
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Players can certainly improve. But I don't expect a player to suddenly have a enormous leap in production just because the Lakers acquire him. If it happens, great. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Personally, I'm not expecting Jones to be around after his second 10-day contract. But maybe he'll surprise me

Fair enough...I don’t think 4 and 4 is an enormous leap but I get you. I really think he brings exactly what Vogel needs at times. Sure he’s a little light 245 lbs....so can’t hold position like Dwight...but I think he brings everything else and I really hopes he sticks for the year and gets a summer league invite next year.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Good pick up for the regular season but AD is our center come playoff time unless we’re playing against jokic. Probably why the lakers aren’t in a hurry to grab a bigger name player who will come in with expectations of a role and playing time.

We’re at our best with AD at center and we don’t need to be at our best until the playoffs. It’s all good

Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Went back and looked... 3 years in GS behind several centers on a team that was backcourt oriented. 55 games in ATL behind Dedmon and Len on a team that had plenty of other young guys to develop, then 14 games behind Ayton in PHX. So, really small windows of opportunity to strengthen weaknesses like getting pushed around by Eric Pascal.

On the plus side, he's still only 25, super athletic (if not hurt) and won't need to play in playoffs at all.

Definitely worth a shot in RS - especially on this team with players like LBJ and AD to help teach/support him and the glaring need to provide the JaVale/Dwight role rather than the extreme of Gasol (big and slow) and Harrell (little and chaotic).

Seems like a perfect fit.....hope he sticks...
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject:

Watched his old scouting reports, his shot mechanics looked decent. I wonder why it never developed in the nba level. Hope he gets signed, he looks like he can be both a short term stop gap for our bigman needs (rimprotection and lob threat) and can also be a longterm project as a possible switchable stretch big.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

So the question is, after one game lol, has he looked good enough to supplant McKinney/Dudley if we need to make a room? or can we sign him to 2-way (can play how many reg season games?) and drop Kostas?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So the question is, after one game lol, has he looked good enough to supplant McKinney/Dudley if we need to make a room? or can we sign him to 2-way (can play how many reg season games?) and drop Kostas?

Absolutely......he's a need we've been looking for and the guys you mentioned obviously can't fill that role. Vogel said as much. Defense, rim protection, and catching lobs....he did all of that in his debut....If given say 10-12 minutes...I see him, providing energy...4 ppg, 4 rpg and 1-2 blocks...something we've lacked all year.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

Going to be interesting to see if he can carve a niche for himself on this roster.

His skillset and age is what I have been hoping they would add to the roster. Can he take some mpg from the combination of Gasol, Morris and Harrell? Not expecting big mins but some matchups I could see him in the lineup.

Actually would interested to see him playing “with” Davis at times.

As for whose roster spot he would take, wouldn’t it be Cooks?

Dudley is going no where unless he becomes a coach. They seem to like him as a glue guy for morale. McKinnie is intriguing to me as that additional wing player. Tough for him to find mins at SG/SF but a solid and inexpensive option for the end of the bench until a buyout or waived option clearly makes sense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16
Jump to: