John Black: "The third year is not guaranteed"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

Nice! Thanks, sean.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

thanks for sharing that. given what we have aready heard, i am still skeptical..
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:

eniq 0x00 wrote:
This is old (bleep) news. It was stated from the get-go that the third year was a team option.

Then you heard it wrong from the get-go, because it isn't a team option. Kwame has a three year contract, with the first two being guaranteed.
un1bomber
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

next year is a contract year for kwame then..... maybe he gets his sh!t together for at least 1 year... cuz he really doesnt wanna lose 8 mil.. or that nice expensive house he bought when he first got down here
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

He's only a "clown" at 8 mil per season. His man-up defense in the post is beyond necessary for this team. How do you propose we deal with the Duncan's, Shaq's and Yaos of this league sans Kwame Brown? Chris Mihm? Brian Cook? Can they man up those guys? No, they can't.

How about we show a little respect for the defensive end of the court, seeing as that's what has cost us so many games? If we could re-sign Kwame for less, that would make him a great long term addition for this team. He's only "bad" because he cost too much.

I agree with you.

If we can't trade his expiring contract next summer in a great deal, the best way could be to try to convince him ( and his agent ) to accept less money to be a role player off the bench when we have to face Yao, Snaq, Duncan..., expecially when finally we are a contender.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

<snip>
How about we show a little respect for the defensive end of the court, seeing as that's what has cost us so many games? <snip>

Jam,
I tend to agree with nearly everything you post, but this is the 1% where I'm not in agreement.
Kwame's defense is strictly 1-dimensional - deny post position, hold ground, use his length to prevent an iso'd opponent shooting over him, period.
He will do best against centers who use their size and strength to get close to the basket - Shaq, Yao. He will bother players who have limited mobility, either due to injury, or due to lack of athleticism - Duncan.
But put him up against any one of the following, and Kwame stinks on defense:
- quicker PFs/centers who use their mobility (e.g. Brand)
- centers/PFs who have range and can simply shoot over Kwame (Miller, Brand, Nowitzki)
- centers/PFs who rely on movement/motion/passing for their offense, rather than iso's

Kwame is a *very* poor help defender, rotates extremely poorly, does not react at all well or anticipate, does not block shots. Watch his game against the Celtics, they were shredding the Laker defense with him and Cook on the floor, it was pathetic. He was always late, out of position to deny penetration, and out of position for the rebound. And this was not an anomaly, watch the Clippers game ... same thing ... any time the opponent fits the profile I describe above, it spells trouble for him.

His current defensive skill set is very specific, and limited. Yes, he does superbly against good teams with high profile centers, but 80% of the NBA teams rely on undersized PFs/centers, and Kwame is mediocre-to-horrid against them.

-ThePageDude
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

I suppose the next questions are "How much can we trust in a PR guy's word?" and "How much do the Lakers want to release to the public about this situation?" John Black is, afterall, a PR guy and his job is partly crowd control when there is mayhem in Laker nation.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
You know you are a die hard Laker fan when a title like "The third year is not guaranteed" makes perfect sense to you.

DB, I was thinking the same thing!...LOL

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
dgrynch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

I guess the old saying is true that less is more!
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
I suppose the next questions are "How much can we trust in a PR guy's word?" and "How much do the Lakers want to release to the public about this situation?" John Black is, afterall, a PR guy and his job is partly crowd control when there is mayhem in Laker nation.

Actually I was listening to Matt Money Smith on AM570 post game show a couple of weeks ago and he said the same thing regarding the 3rd year option.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

Actually I was listening to Matt Money Smith on AM570 post game show a couple of weeks ago and he said the same thing regarding the 3rd year option.

My tendency is to believe the original reports that he third year is guaranteed. You make an excellent point re: the job of a PR guy and it's obvious that Kwame isn't popular with a lot of the fan base. If you heard the dodge of the question by Rambis and Jeanie in their interview last week (That they had no clue if the third year was guaranteed or not and would have to check back at the office) then it certainly lends more credence to the original rumors that his third year had indeed become guaranteed. No need to dodge such a quaetion otherwise.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

JACK Black: "I draw my inspiriation from deep within the mind of the superfreak."
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

Someone should write Mr. Black back. He should know that with the way they've been playing recently this was much needed. Maybe it will inspire the rest of the team to play better.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:

Exactly what I was about to say, but your way sounds better.

I just feel that Lakers management is trying to buy as much time from the fans as they can, prolonging the thought that Kwame only has 1 year left. I believe they are hoping he has a big year next season, then they can come out and justify guaranteeing his 3rd year. They're just waiting for the right time to do it. Obviously this would be the worst time to announce it to the fans, considering how horribly he has been playing.

The fans want to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Coming out now and confessing to the public that they guaranteed Kwame's 3rd year would just leave the fans in the dark again. I think Zhengi said it best, this is just "crowd control".
MrWhite77
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

I agree with LakerJam. Kwame's post defense is top notch and if we can re-sign him for a lower amount then we should absolutely do so. I know Shaq, Duncan and Garnett wouldn't be looking forward to posting up against him. If the guy works on his help defense and improves we could have a top league defender on our team.

Plus I want Bynum to continue to sharpen his post skills against Kwame in practice. Kwame knows how to deny post position and can push even Shaq out of there. Being able to post up against Kwame in practice is probably making Bynum a lot stronger.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:

MrWhite77 wrote:
I agree with LakerJam. Kwame's post defense is top notch and if we can re-sign him for a lower amount then we should absolutely do so. I know Shaq, Duncan and Garnett wouldn't be looking forward to posting up against him. If the guy works on his help defense and improves we could have a top league defender on our team.

Plus I want Bynum to continue to sharpen his post skills against Kwame in practice. Kwame knows how to deny post position and can push even Shaq out of there. Being able to post up against Kwame in practice is probably making Bynum a lot stronger.

That's true, but I have to wonder about Kwame's intensity in practice. If he were truely dedicated to becoming better, he'd be taking advantage of Kareem's tutorship. But anyway, if Kwame's biggest contribution to this team is helping Bynum develop, then they could have gone the Pat Riley rout and hired sumo wrestlers instead. At least the salary cap wouldn't take such a hit.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

Interesting.

Larry Coon has very good information on this sort of thing. I would find it very interesting if the Lakers are purposely ignoring this issue or lieing about it so that team's don't worry about the 2007 plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MrWhite77
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
MrWhite77 wrote:

That's true, but I have to wonder about Kwame's intensity in practice. If he were truely dedicated to becoming better, he'd be taking advantage of Kareem's tutorship. But anyway, if Kwame's biggest contribution to this team is helping Bynum develop, then they could have gone the Pat Riley rout and hired sumo wrestlers instead. At least the salary cap wouldn't take such a hit.

I heard that he was one of those guys that was always good in practice but not in the game.

I wish he did take advantage of having the greatest scorer of all time at practice. . I'm willing to give Kwame this whole year. I'm happy with his post defense this year, but can't beleive how bad he is on offense. Next year i expect some offense out of him though.

You guys think seeing Turiafs intensity will wake this guys butt up? I'm pretty sure this isn't the last time we'll see Turiaf taking major minutes away from him. PLEASE KWAME WAKE UP!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

MrWhite77 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
MrWhite77 wrote:

I heard that he was one of those guys that was always good in practice but not in the game.

I wish he did take advantage of having the greatest scorer of all time at practice. . I'm willing to give Kwame this whole year. I'm happy with his post defense this year, but can't beleive how bad he is on offense. Next year i expect some offense out of him though.

I agree. I'm shocked everytime Kwame's shot falls. He shoots it at such a flat angle and it seems like he just jumps up without even looking at where the basket is.

His defense is solid against the immobile bigs like Yao, Shaq, Duncan. But as others have said, he has trouble against the mobile bigs like Brand, Gasol and Nowitzki. I guess Phil will just continue to use him only against certain matchups.

Quote:
You guys think seeing Turiafs intensity will wake this guys butt up? I'm pretty sure this isn't the last time we'll see Turiaf taking major minutes away from him. PLEASE KWAME WAKE UP!

To be honest with you, I don't think anything will wake Kwame up. They had these same exact discussions about him in Washington. We all laugh when we hear Miami fans whining about Shaq's laziness and being out of shape, but Washington fans are doing the same with us and Kwame.

All the issues he's having now, he had in Washington as well. Turiaf won't effect Kwame at all, other than allowing Kwame to watch the game from the bench more often.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

So who would you guys go for in 2007?

Nowitzki?
Bosh?
James?

Dream is is back on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
You know you are a die hard Laker fan when a title like "The third year is not guaranteed" makes perfect sense to you.

you know you're a laker fan when you're emailing John Black..
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Wolf . . . i want something simple

Maybe the Lakers should decide to go for Role-players instead of a player like Bosh.

This team lacks depth if they can fill that hole i think we will be okay.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Bosh, Nowtizki and Lebron will all be available in 2008, not 2007. Bosh and 'Bron will be restricted FAs unless they take the QO. Dirk has a player option, but I doubt he'll opt out of a guaranteed $16.3 million.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Bosh, Nowtizki and Lebron will all be available in 2008, not 2007. Bosh and 'Bron will be restricted FAs unless they take the QO. Dirk has a player option, but I doubt he'll opt out of a guaranteed $16.3 million.

They always opt out when they know they will get the MAX, Ziggy. Each additional season you play you are taking a risk of an injury killing your market value.

Nowitzki will either sign an extension with Dallas or opt out and sign the max with either Dallas or another team.

James and Bosh are RFA's in 2007, but they can threaten to take QO's that will send a clear signal to their teams that they are going to lose them for nothing in 2008. Then the Lakers can offer deals through sign and trades.
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

oh happy days....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: