Went to Lakers/Nets & Lakers/Knicks Thoughts

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Went to Lakers/Nets & Lakers/Knicks Thoughts

I'm currently working in New York and I was able to attend both the Lakers/Nets & Lakers/Knicks game. Below are some of my thoughts about the team & the experience of attending a Lakers game during COVID-19.

Attending the Game

You are required to show a negative covid test within 72 hours of gametime in order to attend or show that you have been fully vaccinated + 14 days time past in order to attend.

The Nets provide rapid covid testing on the spot for no cost. The Knicks are cheapskates and charge you $30 for a rapid covid test. After taking the test - you're required to wait 15 minutes for the results to arrive before you're granted access into the arena to present your tickets.

Thankfully, I was tested at Brooklyn for no cost and that test was able to be parlayed to the Knicks game. However - it is quite clear that the Nets have their sh*t together where the Knicks were far more disorganized. When I attended the Nets game - there was no wait for a COVID-19 test. On top of that - it was a shorter wait time to get your results & the results are both texted and emailed to you.

HOWEVER - it puts you in a perilous spot if you do get a positive test. In essence - you could go to a Knicks game - pay $30 for a test - get a positive test - and forfeiture your tickets. There are no refunds for positive covid tests.

As a result - lots of fans are going to the games - getting tested - then purchasing tickets. The Knicks were very disorganized as not only did I have to tell the security that their protocol supports me providing my test from the Brooklyn game and their team realizing I'm right. They also told me I could not purchase tickets at the box office - which was categorically untrue. I bought my tickets at the stadium. (There are no Ticketmaster service fees if you buy in the arena)

There are no single tickets available and you have to sit in pods. Brooklyn did not allow me to eat in my seat. The Knicks did allow me to eat in my seat. The Nets are very strict about wearing a mask. For the Knicks - you are able to lower your mask while eating in your seat and so obviously fans are eating & drinking slower so that they can prolong not wearing your mask.

Team thoughts

Lebron - I did not realize how close Lebron & AD are. Lebron does not communicate very much with his teammates during the games. AD spends more time talking to the players who are playing than Lebron. Lebron spent a lot of his time talking to AD, Kuzma, the coaching staff or the refs. I'm not suggesting Lebron is not engaged - he clearly is. He's just not vocal to his teammates or participating in the huddles during the game.

I thought he would talk more to Drummond especially given his stature. AD was much more vocal with Drummond about his positioning or where should he be than Lebron was.

Schroeder is so vocal during the huddles - we do a disservice of mentioning this. He's by far the most vocal person in the huddle whether he's on or off the court. You don't see that in TV timeouts.

Drummond is so physically imposing. I don't care what the analysts say - he will eat the Nets alive unless they play DJ throughout. He played so well against the Nets & was demanding for the ball and then taking it to them. With NY - he seemed like he couldn't get his face game going and he basically refused to score when he got the ball against the Knicks. He also look much more winded this game.

KCP - This guy is a pro. I'm honestly going to lay off him after seeing him in person. He's not a leader but he definitely doesn't shy away from criticism or providing feedback to his teammates.

THT - When he plays well - he feels like such a wildcard. He makes team's scramble. When he's playing poorly - like against the Knicks - he looks like he has no clue where he's going with the basketball. Like he has no plan - he's just driving and hoping something happens. He made some really boneheaded plays.

Kuzma - Kuzma shied away from rebounding this game and he just didn't look right. His rhythm was off & he just seemed like he wasn't ready to play.

AD - Oh my god does he look good in warmups. I think he missed one shot. He could play today from what I saw. I get it's warmups and everyone looks good but he's gearing up. He's sweating out there like he's playing in a game.

Gasol - Super underrated player. He's not the same defensive player but he was a big part of spearheading the slight comeback we had in the fourth.

Harrell - monster against the Nets - horrible against the Knicks. They should have got him the ball much more frequently against the Nets. He cannot play against Randle - that's a terrible matchup for him. He seemed tentative to score on him. Vogel has to be smarter about how he plays Harrell.

Mclemore - his shot is great. The challenge for him is going to be the 2nd unit because he's not going to get easy shots without Lebron unless they're moving the ball well. He just joined and it seemed like they basically asked him to jack up 3's when we're down 10-12.

AC - He's just not a 7-10mil player. He's just not. He plays hard - he plays hard D but he cannot direct the offense at all. Teams are not afraid of him to drive & not afraid of his shooting. I know he looks much better with AD + Lebron but to me he's overrated on this board. He looks great because he plays with them but he cannot set up an offense in a PnR the way DS can.

Lakers vs. Nets Team energy - You could tell the Lakers came ready to play in Brooklyn. They clearly took offense to the suggestion that they would lay over as those guys were so animated even when the game was out of reach. I mean we're talking every play the bench would get up and stand.

Lakers vs. Knicks Team energy - I'll be frank it was a cold, gloomy rainy weekend and it was pouring leading up to that game. The team looked night and day different. They were much more reserved - much less talkative. I don't want to say they were going through the motions but they were played totally different in the first two halves. In the first half - they were moving the basketball around. In the second half - they looked so tentative. The blocked shots led to them slower back the court & they just seemed like they did not want to match the Knicks physicality. Once they were seeing shots blocked in the paint - it was almost like they resigned themselves to shooting 3's rather than finding the best shot. It was such a weird game.

There were a ton of Lakers fans at Laker/Nets. It was pindrop quiet in the game. I was sitting in the 200 section and I could hear the ball dribble against the wood & hear players.

At the Knicks game - there was a lot of Knicks Fans. Probably a 65-35 split of Lakers Knicks fans. It's so weird to hear Julius Randle MVP chants.

Final Thoughts

Try buying tickets in the beginning of the first - people offload tickets for a much cheaper price. DO NOT buy tickets from scalpers and be prepared to show your vaccination or a rapid antigen covid test results. It's a weird experience because there are no cheerleaders - there is no halftime show - there is no fan engagement. You are literally there to watch the game & watch other fans dance during halftime.

Do not and I mean do not try to move seats outside of your section. I watched multiple groups of fans get kicked in both arenas for trying this. The people stationed do not move. Overall - I'm super happy I went. Knicks tickets are surprisingly way more expensive than the Nets.

Cut the players some slack on this across all aisles not just the Lakers - it's not a normal NBA experience. They've covered all their bases from a health standpoint and it's super quick to get food. But the team really does need & feed off fan energy and I think it's still a worthwhile experience but more for basketball purists rather than people who are missing the live event experience. I'm really happy I went but it's different and COVID-19 is omnipresent in each game.

Just some thoughts.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Thanks! I always love reading about these kind of insights. Whenever I go to a game I always watch the bench and how they interact during time outs.

I remember going to Kobe's final game in Philly, and watching during timeouts, no one listened to Byron Scott. And he always sat far away from the team and didn't interact. Telling.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Lakers/Nets & Lakers/Knicks Thoughts

ahaider wrote:
I'm currently working in New York and I was able to attend both the Lakers/Nets & Lakers/Knicks game. Below are some of my thoughts about the team & the experience of attending a Lakers game during COVID-19.

Attending the Game

You are required to show a negative covid test within 72 hours of gametime in order to attend or show that you have been fully vaccinated + 14 days time past in order to attend.

The Nets provide rapid covid testing on the spot for no cost. The Knicks are cheapskates and charge you $30 for a rapid covid test. After taking the test - you're required to wait 15 minutes for the results to arrive before you're granted access into the arena to present your tickets.

Thankfully, I was tested at Brooklyn for no cost and that test was able to be parlayed to the Knicks game. However - it is quite clear that the Nets have their sh*t together where the Knicks were far more disorganized. When I attended the Nets game - there was no wait for a COVID-19 test. On top of that - it was a shorter wait time to get your results & the results are both texted and emailed to you.

HOWEVER - it puts you in a perilous spot if you do get a positive test. In essence - you could go to a Knicks game - pay $30 for a test - get a positive test - and forfeiture your tickets. There are no refunds for positive covid tests.

As a result - lots of fans are going to the games - getting tested - then purchasing tickets. The Knicks were very disorganized as not only did I have to tell the security that their protocol supports me providing my test from the Brooklyn game and their team realizing I'm right. They also told me I could not purchase tickets at the box office - which was categorically untrue. I bought my tickets at the stadium. (There are no Ticketmaster service fees if you buy in the arena)

There are no single tickets available and you have to sit in pods. Brooklyn did not allow me to eat in my seat. The Knicks did allow me to eat in my seat. The Nets are very strict about wearing a mask. For the Knicks - you are able to lower your mask while eating in your seat and so obviously fans are eating & drinking slower so that they can prolong not wearing your mask.

Team thoughts

Lebron - I did not realize how close Lebron & AD are. Lebron does not communicate very much with his teammates during the games. AD spends more time talking to the players who are playing than Lebron. Lebron spent a lot of his time talking to AD, Kuzma, the coaching staff or the refs. I'm not suggesting Lebron is not engaged - he clearly is. He's just not vocal to his teammates or participating in the huddles during the game.

I thought he would talk more to Drummond especially given his stature. AD was much more vocal with Drummond about his positioning or where should he be than Lebron was.

Schroeder is so vocal during the huddles - we do a disservice of mentioning this. He's by far the most vocal person in the huddle whether he's on or off the court. You don't see that in TV timeouts.

Drummond is so physically imposing. I don't care what the analysts say - he will eat the Nets alive unless they play DJ throughout. He played so well against the Nets & was demanding for the ball and then taking it to them. With NY - he seemed like he couldn't get his face game going and he basically refused to score when he got the ball against the Knicks. He also look much more winded this game.

KCP - This guy is a pro. I'm honestly going to lay off him after seeing him in person. He's not a leader but he definitely doesn't shy away from criticism or providing feedback to his teammates.

THT - When he plays well - he feels like such a wildcard. He makes team's scramble. When he's playing poorly - like against the Knicks - he looks like he has no clue where he's going with the basketball. Like he has no plan - he's just driving and hoping something happens. He made some really boneheaded plays.

Kuzma - Kuzma shied away from rebounding this game and he just didn't look right. His rhythm was off & he just seemed like he wasn't ready to play.

AD - Oh my god does he look good in warmups. I think he missed one shot. He could play today from what I saw. I get it's warmups and everyone looks good but he's gearing up. He's sweating out there like he's playing in a game.

Gasol - Super underrated player. He's not the same defensive player but he was a big part of spearheading the slight comeback we had in the fourth.

Harrell - monster against the Nets - horrible against the Knicks. They should have got him the ball much more frequently against the Nets. He cannot play against Randle - that's a terrible matchup for him. He seemed tentative to score on him. Vogel has to be smarter about how he plays Harrell.

Mclemore - his shot is great. The challenge for him is going to be the 2nd unit because he's not going to get easy shots without Lebron unless they're moving the ball well. He just joined and it seemed like they basically asked him to jack up 3's when we're down 10-12.

AC - He's just not a 7-10mil player. He's just not. He plays hard - he plays hard D but he cannot direct the offense at all. Teams are not afraid of him to drive & not afraid of his shooting. I know he looks much better with AD + Lebron but to me he's overrated on this board. He looks great because he plays with them but he cannot set up an offense in a PnR the way DS can.

Lakers vs. Nets Team energy - You could tell the Lakers came ready to play in Brooklyn. They clearly took offense to the suggestion that they would lay over as those guys were so animated even when the game was out of reach. I mean we're talking every play the bench would get up and stand.

Lakers vs. Knicks Team energy - I'll be frank it was a cold, gloomy rainy weekend and it was pouring leading up to that game. The team looked night and day different. They were much more reserved - much less talkative. I don't want to say they were going through the motions but they were played totally different in the first two halves. In the first half - they were moving the basketball around. In the second half - they looked so tentative. The blocked shots led to them slower back the court & they just seemed like they did not want to match the Knicks physicality. Once they were seeing shots blocked in the paint - it was almost like they resigned themselves to shooting 3's rather than finding the best shot. It was such a weird game.

There were a ton of Lakers fans at Laker/Nets. It was pindrop quiet in the game. I was sitting in the 200 section and I could hear the ball dribble against the wood & hear players.

At the Knicks game - there was a lot of Knicks Fans. Probably a 65-35 split of Lakers Knicks fans. It's so weird to hear Julius Randle MVP chants.

Final Thoughts

Try buying tickets in the beginning of the first - people offload tickets for a much cheaper price. DO NOT buy tickets from scalpers and be prepared to show your vaccination or a rapid antigen covid test results. It's a weird experience because there are no cheerleaders - there is no halftime show - there is no fan engagement. You are literally there to watch the game & watch other fans dance during halftime.

Do not and I mean do not try to move seats outside of your section. I watched multiple groups of fans get kicked in both arenas for trying this. The people stationed do not move. Overall - I'm super happy I went. Knicks tickets are surprisingly way more expensive than the Nets.

Cut the players some slack on this across all aisles not just the Lakers - it's not a normal NBA experience. They've covered all their bases from a health standpoint and it's super quick to get food. But the team really does need & feed off fan energy and I think it's still a worthwhile experience but more for basketball purists rather than people who are missing the live event experience. I'm really happy I went but it's different and COVID-19 is omnipresent in each game.

Just some thoughts.

Great write up. I usually attend the game in NY but, i have only had my first Covid shot ( I am scheduled for shot 2 on Apr 24), I just was not totally comfortable being in that environment, without being fully vaccinated.

I am glad that you had a good time and thanks for brining us all into what it was like, attending a game during Covid.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

This is a great look into the team. Thanks for posting!

Any thoughts on team chemistry based on what you observed? Last year's team seemed really tight, but hard to tell this year since everyone sits apart.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for posting, good read...
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

So good. Thank you!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Great insight! Thanks
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks!

My guess is it’s Lebron transitioning vocal role to AD. His team, although behind the scenes is probably where LBJ still is involved...LeGM, LePractice...just my vibe on it.

As for difference, seems like it was a combo of things:

1. Lakers came ready to play against the Nets
2. Nets don’t play defense which allowed the Lakers to play with confidence
3. Knicks game plan was to ride the Lakers all game long and the Lakers collapsed. I’m sure that’s how other teams feel when the Lakers bring their defensive A game.

Credit to the Knicks. They made it so that the Lakers would have to grind out a win and the Lakers didn’t seem to have it tbh.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for it!
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

Attending the Game

Team thoughts

Final Thoughts

Just some thoughts.

"AC - He's just not a 7-10mil player. He's just not. He plays hard - he plays hard D but he cannot direct the offense at all. Teams are not afraid of him to drive & not afraid of his shooting. I know he looks much better with AD + Lebron but to me he's overrated on this board. He looks great because he plays with them but he cannot set up an offense in a PnR the way DS can."

LOL what did you say about AC again?
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Attending the Game

Team thoughts

Final Thoughts

Just some thoughts.

"AC - He's just not a 7-10mil player. He's just not. He plays hard - he plays hard D but he cannot direct the offense at all. Teams are not afraid of him to drive & not afraid of his shooting. I know he looks much better with AD + Lebron but to me he's overrated on this board. He looks great because he plays with them but he cannot set up an offense in a PnR the way DS can."

LOL what did you say about AC again?

Haha I think AC read that
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for posting this. Glad to see people getting back to ball games.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject:

Great insightful post. Thanks!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: