Will Mitch ever make a blockbuster move?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Will Mitch ever make a blockbuster move?

Currently, we have no peices to make that happen unless of course Lakers decide to part with Bynum which is unlikely unless something huge comes in there way.

now my question is can/will Mitch ever pull a Blockbuster move? his best move was trading Payton and Fox for Mihm Chucky and JJ but it had no sort of impact during our 2 years since we still stink.

does Kup have the smarts to make a major move? or is he to much of a turd?
LakerFan4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

He already did.. it got us Odom..
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan4L wrote:

Whoop-Dee-Doo! :roll:
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan4L wrote:

Let me get this stright the Lakers of all people decided to trade the most dominate ever for Lamar Odom and a 1st round pick? someone kill me right NOW!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:

We're going to lose some trade assets since we didn't move our expiring contracts this season. Our only other real assets are Odom and Bynum. If we do a deal, it'll probably be a major one involving at least Odom if not both of them. Otherwise, I doubt we'll make any moves since we don't have anything to trade. In other words - a big deal, or no deal at all and your team today is close to what we roll with next year.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

I bet he has a Blockbuster membership card.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Come on! Mitch already did it. He got as that "impact" big everybody was waiting for. Someone that would "balance out" the lineup. Someone that was gonna blow up as a Laker! Someone that was WELL worth giving up Caron Butler. Someone

Oh, wait a second, wasn't it just Kwame Brown? :roll:

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

It's going to be real difficult because, like you said, we don't have the pieces to go after anyone of any prominence.

Folks would like to think that Lamar could fetch us an All Star, but I suspect that his trade value is that of another role player.

Put it to you this way...

If you were Seattle, would you trade Rashard Lewis for Odom, straight up?

Or how about Joe Johnson in Atlanta?

Paul Pierce?

I'm betting that these organizations would say thanks, but no thanks.

Last season, the Kings offered up Peja for Odom. If they were serious, it shows you what they think LO's value is.

Perhaps if a disgruntled All Star made enough noise, to the point that the team feels the need to rid themselves of him (e.g. Artest/Francis), then maybe LO might get a sniff.

Adding Bynum into the mix doesn't figure to help out that much because he's unproven. No one is able to point to him (as opposed to Greg Oden) and say, In two years, he'll make me forget the All Star I traded him for.

Last edited by And 1 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy
Star Player
Star Player

I still do not understand all the hate ... Mitch is basically carrying out Dr. Buss' instructions. If he has anything original, he has to get it approved by Dr. Buss. Don't you think Jerry West left for a reason? If so, then that reason should have A LOT to do with the interuptions from the owner.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
We're going to lose some trade assets since we didn't move our expiring contracts this season. Our only other real assets are Odom and Bynum. If we do a deal, it'll probably be a major one involving at least Odom if not both of them. Otherwise, I doubt we'll make any moves since we don't have anything to trade. In other words - a big deal, or no deal at all and your team today is close to what we roll with next year.

i thats the part that pisses me off most. expiring Contracts are a hot commidity in the nba and were gonna let ours walk out the door
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I bet he doesn't. Mitch is more a "Price Busters Video" keychain card sort of guy.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:
Socks wrote:

i thats the part that pisses me off most. expiring Contracts are a hot commidity in the nba and were gonna let ours walk out the door

It's not necessarily a given that our expiring K's will "walk out the door." We could always attempt to do a S&T with...say, George, to another team.

But this is a longshot because: A) George might not want to go the place where we'd like to trade him to; and, B) as an UFA, he might attract a better offer than the team looking to acquire him would be willing to pay.
Billy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

To expect expiring contract for a KG is pure dream. When evaluating any trades, the Lakers are often better off keeping the expiring contracts for the same reasons many other teams want to acquire them. Think about it ... sending expiring contract for a Marbury, the team would be burdened for years ...

If managing the Lakers was as easy as eating a piece of chocolate, would not you all be GMs somewhere?
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

He already did . . . for Miami.

Made over $100 million for that franchise, while subtracting $25 million from the Lakers.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject:

the only thing blockbuster that mitch will ever make is the deuce he will drop in his toilet.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Billy wrote:
I still do not understand all the hate ... Mitch is basically carrying out Dr. Buss' instructions. If he has anything original, he has to get it approved by Dr. Buss. Don't you think Jerry West left for a reason? If so, then that reason should have A LOT to do with the interuptions from the owner.

That's cool. You have every right to remain a Mitch "supporter", while the team and the best franchise in any sport continues to decline. There were many before you that have finally seen the light, but it's definitley your perogative to continue supporting him.

If this was the case of why Jerry West left, then it's obvious that he had the balls to man up and fight for the moves he made because the end results were winning teams and eventually championships. Jerry West has proven that he could turn a losing franchise into a winner (ala Memphis). So yeah, it does make sense, but give me a GM that'll fight for moves to be made that'll be worthwhile in the long run. If Mitch is gonna continue to just "go along with the program", then I don't expect anything to happen because he sure as hell won't be fighting for anything that'll make the franchise improve.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject:

hey.. if mitch was really trying to make a bunch of deals and it was buss who was nixing all of them, and mitch proceeded to take all the blame.. why doesn't he resign? i would, if that were the situation.

people try to make excuses for everything.. damn.

the blame has to go somewhere, and it's going to mitch. why wasn't buss so restrictive when jerry west was around? he convinced him to trade away vlade, a hometown favorite, for a high school GUARD.. and then spend big bucks to bring in shaq... then they traded eddie jones, ANOTHER hometown favorite for glen rice..

so buss is restrictive only to mitch? yeah right..

truth is, mitch sucks.. the only thing restrictive is his sphincter.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:
hey.. if mitch was really trying to make a bunch of deals and it was buss who was nixing all of them, and mitch proceeded to take all the blame.. why doesn't he resign? i would, if that were the situation.

people try to make excuses for everything.. damn.

the blame has to go somewhere, and it's going to mitch. why wasn't buss so restrictive when jerry west was around? he convinced him to trade away vlade, a hometown favorite, for a high school GUARD.. and then spend big bucks to bring in shaq... then they traded eddie jones, ANOTHER hometown favorite for glen rice..

so buss is restrictive only to mitch? yeah right..

truth is, mitch sucks.. the only thing restrictive is his sphincter.

I can tell that you are a little pissed off.

Mitch has made "blockbuster" trade. Unfortunately, they have not worked. In fact, by just concentrating on "blockbuster trade", you failed to realize how bad he has been.

Remember his draft choices and signings have also not been "blockbuster".
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Billy wrote:
...the Lakers are often better off keeping the expiring contracts for the same reasons many other teams want to acquire them...

Yeah, but keeping the expiring contracts this year won't do any good for our salary cap this summer. We're still going to be over with Brian Grant's contract (the only reason they used the "one time" release was so that it wouldn't count against the luxury tax).

So going into the summer, we're most likely going to lose Devean George (he'll take more money elsewhere because another team will be dumb enough to give him a long term big $$$ contract); Slava's contract will just slide off the books and there'll be absolutely nothing in return. Kupchak will go plowing through the scraps of NBDL/CBA/EURPEAN non-draftees and come up with another Mike Penberthy or Devean Green or whoever that will just be there to fill a void until we have "cap space" in 2007.

Then what? What if all the "markee" free agents get extensions on their contracts. Then what? Now, all the expiring contracts we had and all the players that had value don't have any value anymore and we're stuck picking from Lamar Odom types who have potential to be all-stars, but never seem to get over that hump.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:
...truth is, mitch sucks.. the only thing restrictive is his sphincter...

That about sums up my thoughts also.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

:roll: :roll: :roll:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Why the eye roll? because truth hurts and Mitch stinks as a GM?
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
jLuVTHaLaKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:

hopefully he makes a move that takes him out of tha orgaization.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: