Chicago Tribune; 10 Possible KG Trade Scenarios

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Chicago Tribune; 10 Possible KG Trade Scenarios

Sam Smith wrote:
This off-season's grand prize: Garnett
But Bulls not likely to land disgruntled Timberwolves star

Paul Pierce would help and so would Ray Allen. It would be nice to have Al Harrington or Peja Stojakovic. One can dream about Chris Bosh or LeBron James, but they're probably not going anywhere.

The guy everyone wants is Kevin Garnett, who was fined $5,000 Monday for throwing a basketball into the stands Sunday and is at the United Center with the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday night to play the Bulls. The question is where he will be next season.

The Timberwolves and Garnett mostly ignore the incessant prattling about Garnett leaving the long misguided, underachieving franchise, though there continue to be rumors and reports--TNT added another last week--that the Timberwolves wouldn't stand in Garnett's way if he wanted to be traded.

"Sounds to me like they wouldn't mind moving him but don't want the blame," offered one team executive who would like to be in on what could be the best personnel sweepstakes since Shaquille O'Neal went to Miami.

So what makes sense? Here's a look at the 10 most likely deals for Garnett this summer:

1. Los Angeles Clippers: Sorry, Bulls fans. Garnett lives in Malibu and the Clippers could put together a much better package than the Lakers. It would help them retain Sam Cassell, whom Garnett worked well with in Minnesota and can take that last shot. Watching Garnett being triple-teamed now is sad. Plus, the Clippers have what Garnett and Cassell didn't have, a center in Chris Kaman. How about Elton Brand, Corey Maggette as he returns from surgery and Shaun Livingston for perhaps Garnett and Mark Madsen, the latter to dance at the Clippers' championship rally.

2. Golden State Warriors: Figure this will be the summer they try to make the big splash, and they have the assets. They could put together something appealing with their No. 1 pick, Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy and perhaps throw in one of their European kids, like Andris Biedrins or Zarko Cabarkapa.

3. Indiana Pacers: They've got a big piece in Jermaine O'Neal, whom they probably would deal for someone like Garnett. Perhaps with one of their guards, like Jamaal Tinsley, Anthony Johnson or Sarunas Jasikevicius and a No. 1 pick, it would be enough for the Timberwolves to come away looking whole and with some assets.

4. New York Knicks: Well, they do have a lot of players. And they have two No. 1 draft picks this season, though in the bottom half, probably from Denver and San Antonio. Maybe the two No. 1s, Channing Frye, Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford and David Lee. Minnesota would have to think about it for Garnett and an extra like Madsen, and if they have bad contracts the Knicks surely would take them.

5. Los Angeles Lakers: Garnett is their rebuilding plan with Amare Stoudemire and Yao Ming having re-signed. Garnett and Kobe Bryant would be enough to be back in serious contention. Perhaps Lamar Odom, promising kid center Andrew Bynum, whomever else they may want and a No. 1 draft pick? It's not like the Lakers got that much for O'Neal. If Garnett chooses a place to go and is insistent, the Timberwolves have to get the best they can to avoid a scene. And Garnett, who some label a high-level Don Knotts-type since he is best as a supporting man in the end, badly needs a finisher to play with to have the kind of ultimate success he seeks.

6. Chicago Bulls: The Timberwolves need to build and the Bulls have pieces. The risk with Garnett is he has played more than 30,000 minutes and never is hurt. How long can he keep that up? But in the East, he could make a big difference. Perhaps the Knicks' No. 1 pick, which the Bulls own and seems certain to be in the top 5 if not No. 1, Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon and Andres Nocioni? Maybe even throw in the Bulls' other No. 1, which should be toward the middle of the first round.

The Bulls can absorb Garnett's salary with their salary-cap space. The assumption is the Timberwolves, like the Lakers did with O'Neal, would give Garnett veto over certain deals. So the question is whether the Bulls would have enough left to be a high-level competitor and be attractive to Garnett.

7. Dallas Mavericks: I've long thought this one fit. And if the Mavericks are an early playoff victim, it might make sense with their new defensive direction to offer Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry in a sign-and-trade.

8. New Jersey Nets: Wouldn't they love to continue to stick it to the Knicks? And they have some big pieces they can give up, like Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson. Remember, Garnett isn't going just anywhere. Figure it should be a major market or somewhere he can win. Maybe Carter, Nenad Krstic and their two No. 1s, their own and the Clippers'.

9. Philadelphia 76ers: Hard to see the Timberwolves taking on Allen Iverson, but you can assume the 76ers will make a run with him. Something like Iverson, their No. 1 pick and a piece like Andre Iguodala or Kyle Korver. Hey, people seem to go to games everywhere but Philadelphia to see Iverson.

10. Boston Celtics: This is the big strike Minnesota supposedly has been holding back for. So make it Pierce, Al Jefferson and the No. 1 pick, which would give the Timberwolves plenty to build with, though it might look a little too much like Celtics Midwest after the Ricky Pierce deal. Wally Szczerbiak and Garnett back together again?
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Garnett is a 20-10 guy, Brand is a 20-10 guy and 3 years younger and cheaper.

Why would the clips do that and throw in Maggette?
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

They fail to mention that the best scenario of those for Garnett is the
Lakers. The coach, the franchise, and (as they did mention) the fit of KG
being our 1st-option rebound, but 2nd-option scorer, combined with his
home in Malibu - makes the Lakers awfully attractive if KG has any say.

And realistically don't we all know, as classy as KG is, that he'll still exert
some control over where he ends up?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

and their point guard of the future
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Defense. Assists. Marketability (Sterling sure won't mind selling out all season).
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

I somewhat agree, but it's more than just about the numbers here. Garnett would be a much bigger draw at the ticket window and you know sterling is all about the $$$.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Lakers.
The coach, the franchise, and (as they did mention) the fit of KG

Don't really agree with you on this. KG is going to be all about winning a championship and even though KG+Kobe = Very Dangerous, there are still some additional pieces that are necessary to bring them into contention. Lakers have a lot of pluses for sure (LA, tradition, etc.), but the Clippers have the draw of Cassell, a very good center to help KG, much more all around talent.

I think the Wolves are going to have to really take KG's wishes into account or face a public relations nightmare. Then again, they are going to have to get some good returns for him or face a public relations nightmare as well. It's going to be very hard for any team out there to land him - Lakers have big time competition.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have everything they need except the pieces to get Garnett.

If he'd demand a trade to the Lakers, that would work.

And I'd take him over Elton Brand 8 days a week. Although give Elton credit for transforming the Clippers into the most elite team in the league, and the one with the greatest winning tradition.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Lakers. The coach, the franchise, and (as they did mention) the fit of KG

Well, realistically-speaking, though KG may want to come to the Lakers, it would be foolish to think that Lurch will make the same mistake that Kupchak did by trading away a future HOF'er without getting at least one All Star in return.

Think about it. Giving up KG for an underachieving non-All Star and a project center? And pairing him up with Kobe? Don't think so.

I'm betting that Mitch won't even get the courtesy of a return call.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:
The Lakers have everything they need except the pieces to get Garnett.

If he'd demand a trade to the Lakers, that would work.

And I'd take him over Elton Brand 8 days a week. Although give Elton credit for transforming the Clippers into the most elite team in the league, and the one with the greatest winning tradition.

Agree about preferring KG over Brand.

However, I don't think that Lurch is that weak-kneed to cave in to any demand to be traded to the Lakers. I think league GM's have learned their lesson from Mitch's handling of Shaq.

If KG has a home in Malibu and he likes being in LA, then I'd ship him to the Clips for a package that included Brand and Livingston.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Yeah why would the Clippers do that trade? First off ok maybe KG is better then Brand right now 3 years older. Brand is just getting to his prime while KG has been in the NBA for a alot longer time and has seen his prime and it was great. Theres no way to justify throwing in Maggette and LIvingston. Not only do you not trade both the only guy the clippers should give up is Brand if they would do the trade which I stil wouldnt.
Crazy LA Fan14
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I would NOT do that deal under any circumstances. I would keep Brand by himself, no way in hell the Clips are trading him, Maggette and a future all star (all of which are younger than kg) for one player.

Lakers, he's all yours
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

and their point guard of the future

Thx, I missed Livingston in the deal.
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Crazy LA Fan14 wrote:
I would NOT do that deal under any circumstances. I would keep Brand by himself, no way in hell the Clips are trading him, Maggette and a future all star (all of which are younger than kg) for one player.

Lakers, he's all yours

Yipeeee, thx
abomb
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Boy, that article is rotten. Um, if Minny is thinking of trading a disgruntled KG, they will be entering a buyers' market. Maggette, Brand, Livingston and change? Please.

A-Bomb
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

And why the funk are Lakers' fans so "bent up" on K.G.? Yeah he brings us back to the promise land but for how long?

I tend to agree. We need to go younger if we are going to "give away" guys like LO and Bynum.

I love K.G. but c'mon. This guy was the bomb back in the day but does nothing for us over time. He is an immediate solution but not what Kobe needs at the beginning of his prime and on into his later years.

Thanks but no thanks. I truly cannot wait until K.G. either recommits to Minny or goes elsewhere (implication being not here to L.A.).

We have exactly what Kobe needs for this leg of his career...his name is Andrew!!!!! Give it time.

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

You should be able to get sooo much more for KG...but then look what happened to (bleep) Cupcake when he traded Shaq for 3 NBDL players.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:

the Clippers deal is way off...as are most others mentioned....even the odom and bynum package to me is off.....at this stage of KG's career.....

Now odom and kwame with a pick....OK....

But in the end he can only become a laker if he "DEMANDS" a trade to the lakers......
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Elton Brand and Maggette for KG? Would they be that desperate to land KG? I'd rather keep both Brand and Maggette at this point.

Chicago wise, I don't see them breaking up the "baby-bulls". Scott Skiles surely won't approve of it after what they have accomplished so far growing up together. The only threat I really see is the Knicks with their young studs and a trade bait in either Francis and/or Marbury... plus the fact that money is not an issue with them.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Defense. Assists. Marketability (Sterling sure won't mind selling out all season).

That was clearly the dumbest proposal of them all, and u shouldnt have too question y i said that, its obvious.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:

bump
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: