Computer maintenance
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Computer maintenance

What are some maintenance tools do you use. I do these things.

1) Clear my browsing history daily.
2) Disc clean up once a week
3) Clean system and junk files once a week
3) Use Avast Cleanup Premium it optimizes, frees space, fixes problems. I run it twice a week.
4) Run CCleaner once a week, the free version.

I have an old refurbished HP, it's about 6 years old. It changes screens in a blink. I think it's because of maintenance. I'd appreciate any ideas that will keep me from having to buy a new machine.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

I use CCleaner and Panda Dome (as my anti-virus).

Any file I download - - movie, music, program, torrent, etc. - - I scan, no matter what.

My hard drive is SSD, so I don't need to defragment it.

Also, invest in a good VPN. I'm partial to Windscribe, as it's free (up to 10 GB per month).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the defrag memory jog. I haven't done it for a while. I'll do it today. 👍🏾

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

Switch to SSD if you can, and you will notice a considerable speed boost in your older PC. Ensure you are still receiving Windows (or whatever OS you have) updates, especially security patches. If you are not, I would recommend at least upgrading your OS. I use Avast and CCleaner periodically.

What issues are you seeing with your current PC (what do you mean by changes screens in a blink)?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Switch to SSD if you can, and you will notice a considerable speed boost in your older PC. Ensure you are still receiving Windows (or whatever OS you have) updates, especially security patches. If you are not, I would recommend at least upgrading your OS. I use Avast and CCleaner periodically.

What issues are you seeing with your current PC (what do you mean by changes screens in a blink)?

I think that’s old guy speak for it refreshes quickly when he’s navigating the internet.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

I'm not having any issues. I'm wondering how many are performing necessary maintenance and what methods they're using to perform maintenance. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 OC. I mean it changes with a click, no hesitation.

I go with thinking a computer has to go through history to get to where you want it to go. If history is crowded it takes more time to get there. So I try to keep the plate as clean as possible. I liken it to washing your hands.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I'm not having any issues. I'm wondering how many are performing necessary maintenance and what methods they're using to perform maintenance. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 OC. I mean it changes with a click, no hesitation.

I go with thinking a computer has to go through history to get to where you want it to go. If history is crowded it takes more time to get there. So I try to keep the plate as clean as possible. I liken it to washing your hands.

lmao

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Easy to see why you might believe in ufo’s
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Easy to see why you might believe in ufo’s

Computers and UFO I don't have any idea of what's true or not just go with unverified thinking. I keep my cache clean. When my computer slows down I reset it. If I want to know the real on computers I'll research it. I really don't GAD as long as mine runs smooth and quick. ON UFOs. It's the unknown.

I know very little about computers or UFOs and I'm not earnestly trying to find out about either. So There

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 20, 2021 1:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

AV software and things like ccleaner are largely unnecessary these days and a drag a lot a lot of computers. Microsoft's built in solutions are perfectly fine. This is what I tell everyone whose computer's I've fixed. Don't be stupid ie stop clicking on emails promising you 25k a month working from home.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
AV software and things like ccleaner are largely unnecessary these days and a drag a lot a lot of computers. Microsoft's built in solutions are perfectly fine. This is what I tell everyone whose computer's I've fixed. Don't be stupid ie stop clicking on emails promising you 25k a month working from home.

My spam folder is full. I deleted it about a day or so ago and there're around 200 emails in it now. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

When I run Avast Priemum Cleaner my computer speeds up. I like it. I think CCleaner is superfluous. Would you suggest I uninstall CCleaner?

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 20, 2021 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I know very little about computers or UFOs and I'm not earnestly trying to find out about either. So There

What antimicrobial are you using to wipe your discs? Bugs can both corrupt and eat data. That's why it's important to wipe your discs at least once a year. The 2 most effective products on the market are; Bug-B-Gone 2.0 & Data-No-More (Original version). Both can usually be found on the shelf at Best Buy right next to the Blinker Fluid.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:

When I run Avast Priemum Cleaner my computer speeds up. I like it. I think CCleaner is superfluous. Would you suggest I uninstall CCleaner?

Seems like most are out on CCleaner lately. I have came across several articles in recent months that appear to suggest users no longer use it. I can't give you the reason because I never dug into why because I was not reading the articles in search of info about CCleaner. I personally still use it.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Funniest thing i've heard in a while. Microsoft software is trash in general. Relying on Microsoft's built in solutions to protect/maintain one's computer is laughable considering they have not even figured out how to do updates without requiring reboots yet. AV is necessary (especially if you are using Windows). CCleaner is a great program and completely unrelated to the pop-up software and emailed/phishing programs you see.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Clearing your browser history and cache frequently will slow down performance, not speed it up, since your browser will be required to fetch/load the entire website every time you browse after clearing your cache. You may not notice if your internet connection is extremely fast.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Relying on Microsoft's built in solutions to protect/maintain one's computer is laughable considering they have not even figured out how to do updates without requiring reboots yet. AV is necessary (especially if you are using Windows). CCleaner is a great program . . .

BadGuy wrote:
Clearing your browser history and cache frequently will slow down performance, not speed it up, since your browser will be required to fetch/load the entire website every time you browse after clearing your cache. You may not notice if your internet connection is extremely fast.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

My Internet speed

Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second
Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 37 ms
Server: Los Angeles
Your Internet connection is very fast.

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing, and gaming at the same time.

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Funniest thing i've heard in a while. Microsoft software is trash in general. Relying on Microsoft's built in solutions to protect/maintain one's computer is laughable considering they have not even figured out how to do updates without requiring reboots yet. AV is necessary (especially if you are using Windows). CCleaner is a great program and completely unrelated to the pop-up software and emailed/phishing programs you see.

You are thinking of the previous iterations of windows built in solutions. It has improved tremendously to the point of matching industry standards without the bloat. Ccleaner doesnt do anything that windows already doesnt.

This sounds reminiscent of people bashing windows vista when they were trying to use it on their 400 dollar e-machines computers.

Last edited by nickuku on Fri May 21, 2021 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
My Internet speed

Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second
Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing, and gaming at the same time.

Your latency is pretty high considering you're running a test on an LA server(I assume you're in socal)? On wifi it should be around 10-20ms and it should be 1ms on lan.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
My Internet speed

Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second
Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Your latency is pretty high considering you're running a test on an LA server(I assume you're in socal)? On wifi it should be around 10-20ms and it should be 1ms on lan.

My ISP is Spectrum, they use cable. I think my buffering and freezing problems stem from cable. It's my understanding fiber-optics is faster with less freezing and buffering. ATT is installing cable in my area. When it's available I'll switch.

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
My Internet speed

Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second
Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

My ISP is Spectrum, they use cable. I think my buffering and freezing problems stem from cable. It's my understanding fiber-optics is faster with less freezing and buffering. ATT is installing cable in my area. When it's available I'll switch.

Yes its cable but are you connected wirelessly to your internet or wired? 37 MS is pretty high but I guess for general browsing you won't notice it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
My Internet speed

Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second
Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Yes its cable but are you connected wirelessly to your internet or wired? 37 MS is pretty high but I guess for general browsing you won't notice it.

I'm connected with a modem. I know very little about Internet connections and their workings.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
nickuku wrote:

You are thinking of the previous iterations of windows built in solutions. It has improved tremendously to the point of matching industry standards without the bloat. Ccleaner doesnt do anything that windows already doesnt.

This sounds reminiscent of people bashing windows vista when they were trying to use it on their 400 dollar e-machines computers.

Nah, i'm not thinking of previous iterations of Windows since i have to use the latest versions for my work. Improving from absolute garbage is not really notable or worthy of great praise. Would be curious to know what "industry standards" Windows is now up to par with considering Microsoft has consistently tried to deviate from industry standards throughout its history. Security has largely been an afterthought for Microsoft, so forgoing a third-party AV is an unnecessary risk. Same for ad-blockers. Obviously, you do not want to run multiple AVs simultaneously since that would be overkill and cause problems, but there is a reasonable use case for a third-party AV on Windows.

Also, since you implied hardware might be the problem, i am running dual SSDs (one nvme m.2 and one 2.5" - 1.5TB total with ~50% utilization) with 48GB of DDR4 RAM (utilization varies depending on how many VMs i run) and an i7-7700k quad core running at 4.2GHz that is liquid cooled.

CCleaner may not do anything that Windows 10 cannot do. That is not the point. The point is that CCleaner aggregates several cleanup activities that non-technical people could not be bothered (or would just confuse themselves or cause more damage) trying to find/use.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
nickuku wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Nah, i'm not thinking of previous iterations of Windows since i have to use the latest versions for my work. Improving from absolute garbage is not really notable or worthy of great praise. Would be curious to know what "industry standards" Windows is now up to par with considering Microsoft has consistently tried to deviate from industry standards throughout its history. Security has largely been an afterthought for Microsoft, so forgoing a third-party AV is an unnecessary risk. Same for ad-blockers. Obviously, you do not want to run multiple AVs simultaneously since that would be overkill and cause problems, but there is a reasonable use case for a third-party AV on Windows.

Also, since you implied hardware might be the problem, i am running dual SSDs (one nvme m.2 and one 2.5" - 1.5TB total with ~50% utilization) with 48GB of DDR4 RAM (utilization varies depending on how many VMs i run) and an i7-7700k quad core running at 4.2GHz that is liquid cooled.

CCleaner may not do anything that Windows 10 cannot do. That is not the point. The point is that CCleaner aggregates several cleanup activities that non-technical people could not be bothered (or would just confuse themselves or cause more damage) trying to find/use.

Might want to read up on articles about windows AV the past few years. It might not be perfect but it ranks at the top. Its also free and doesn't come with bloatware.

I'm not blaming your hardware at all. Just pointing out that the criticism of Microsoft's internal AV package is similar to that of Vista criticism. Misunderstood and unwarranted.

For software that is supposed make it easier for people to do things it sure it does a lot of underhanded things as well like as well like track user data, trying to sneak extra bloatware in. Did you know hackers hid malware in ccleaner a few years ago and it was unknowingly distributed? Running diskcleanup/clearing cookies takes literally 10 seconds to do and its highly advisable not to delete/change registry files if you don't know what you're doing even if ccleaner is doing it for you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: