Can we still be laker fans, and support the clippers at the same time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Over the years, the NBA has had guys who for me turned into unwatchable personalities such as (why's everybody always pickin' on me) Rodman, and ("They disrespected me when they tried to trade me") Barkley. Guys who I used to respect or didn't mind watching included, Embiid, Jamaal Murray, Beverly, George, and Kawhi. Now, I hope they never win another game. I used to enjoy, and then later I didn't mind watching the Clippers, but now I root against them, although I remain interested in Zubac and enjoy seeing him do well.

I'm ok with the OP's viewpoints, but on the other hand, I believe I'm old enough and reserve the right to choose whether I will root for anyone, anywhere, at any time, without caring if some super fan believes I'm not doing it right and can't be considered a real fan.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Last time I rooted for the Clippers was during the Odom/Brand/Miles era.

I actually liked them then. Kaman and Maggette too. Sterling was the world's biggest jerk who always held them back.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
You pick one team, and you stick with them. You do not hop from team to team as each gets eliminated. Would be better to stop watching basketball entirely than to start rooting for the Clippers.

My friend recently moved from LA to NYC, goes to game 7, and proclaims that he might become a Nets fan (after Durant hit the shot to go to OT). My response (before OT started), "that's cool as long as you don't try to come back to the Lakers later!" After the Nets lost, he took some personal responsibility and proceeded to get lit

I disagree with this. Basketball is only entertainment. If someone gets the most enjoyment by changing the team they root for on a weekly basis, I don't see why that's anyone else's business. I've never like the attitude "the way I choose to be a fan is the only valid and correct way." That's like some movie buff saying, "Unless you have a deep appreciation for the cinematography, you aren't a true movie fan and you aren't watching movies in the correct way."

I know during the Olympics or sporting events I am not terribly attached to, I will change from rooting for one person to another as people get knocked out. I do this because it's more fun to have a rooting interest, and I'm not really emotionally invested in anyone.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
You pick one team, and you stick with them.:

It isn't marriage. Is the team going to divorce me if I notice someone else?
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Hollywood Harper, Manning, and Mark Jackson under the guidance of Larry Brown for those couple seasons was the last time I openly favored the Clippers, way before the era of egos, jealousy and trying to stomp out the Lakers success. Ironically that era was under the worst owner in Pro Sports history, the despicable and deplorable Donald Sterling.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Been ingrained into my brain after decades of disdain for the clips. Not going to change now.

Hell, Ive been a USC fan almost a long as a Laker fan and I’ll still occasionally root for UCLA in a bowl game before I’d support the clips! I live in Denver and an Avs fan, but still find a way to be rooting for the VGKs the past couple weeks.

Main point it is entertainment. We enjoy it as we wish. I will good naturedly mock a fan of another team or a bandwagon fan that always seems to be trending towards the contenders every couple years. It’s meant to be fun. So enjoy it. Just expect to be ridiculed a bit if you start openly supporting the clips on a Laker forum or town.

Playoffs have been pretty good as expected. Enjoy!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I pull for players when lakers are out. There isn’t anyone even remotely worth rooting for on the clippers.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

Ultimately, each person can pick whatever way they want to be a fan. However, i will definitely mock the bandwagon mentality of the fans that continually switch who they root for. If you want to be a bandwagon fan, that's cool, but the mockery comes with the territory in that scenario as a previous poster (FDB) mentioned.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

They have a very unlovable cast of characters.

I felt for the Brand/LO Clippers because they were playing on Sterling's plantation.

I really felt for the Ron Harper/Danny Manning/Charles Smith Clippers because that injury curse cost the team a shot at real contention.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

what the (bleep)? Leave.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SlickVic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Can't see myself rooting for them.

Perhaps it's just old seeded biases for me. Growing up, the Clippers were almost always a bad team (pre-CP3 trade), and I couldn't really fathom why someone would support them over a team that was perennially winning championships. It felt like a team for the contrarians, those who couldn't enjoy a team that was far more successful, and hated such a team as a result.

Things certainly changed a bit after the CP3 trade, and the Clippers at least had competitive teams after that point. However to me, I was never a big fan of the Doc/CP3/Blake core, and my memory of those Clippers was they always whined whenever a call didn't go their way, and so there was no love lost from me when they kept underachieving in the playoffs.

To be honest, the current Clippers roster doesn't bug me as much, with the exception of Pat Bev. It's funny to see them get rid of Doc and make it to the Conference Finals the very next season.

I suppose to me, the Clippers still annoy me a bit with how they're branded. The media wants to call it the 'Battle of LA', which is fine I guess, but I think such a moniker would mean more if there was a more even split of Clippers and Lakers fans in LA. That also leads to my annoyance with the Clippers 'Driven over Given' ad campaign taking shots at the Lakers last year. Like they were celebrating before winning anything. Fortunately I think they stopped those after they flamed out last year, or at least I haven't seen those ads recently.

I think it's hard to build a rivalry between a franchise that was 17 championships to one that has 0, but I also recognize sports fandom has a very pervasive attitude of 'what have you done for me lately'.
If the Clips do win a title this year (or soon) and if the Lakers come up short over the next few years, I certainly can see a lot more Clippers fans popping out from the woodwork.

I'm used to LA being a 'Lakers town', and that probably doesn't change anytime soon, but if the Clips can start winning championships, I guess it'll be weird for me to see that dynamic change a bit. We'll see what happens.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject:

clippers were more tolerable before Ballmer came onboard. i actually liked those early 90 Clipper teams with Ron Harper, Danny Manning, Ken Norton, Roy Vaught and Larry Brown coaching.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) the Clippers
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Real Lakers fans can't and won't root for Clippers

Under no circumstances

Key word here,real

Bandwagoners and so-called fans may act differently

Real Lakers fans root for Suns to kick Clips ass and send them home ASAP
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject:

To hell with the Clippers.....
HeatCandela
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject:

A big (bleep) you goes out to these Clippers
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I, who have pretty passionately disliked the Clippers for years, actually feel kinda bad for PG13. Man, way to lean into the choking reputation, painful to watch those free throws.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

poppies wrote:
I, who have pretty passionately disliked the Clippers for years, actually feel kinda bad for PG13. Man, way to lean into the choking reputation, painful to watch those free throws.

I like PG13... wanted him on the Lakers.

I just root against him because if he becomes strong it hurts the Lakers.

If he was in the east I might root for him.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject:

You know, it isnt a hate thing with the Clips, its a...just not interested thing.

We've all been there. You're totally into that person over there, she/he just has that look, energy, smile, etc that get your engine going. But their...sorta cute...friend is more interested. You're like no thanks. I still want the one that gets my engine going.

I'm passionate about the Lakers. Asking me to just "root" for another team is like asking me to just go out with...sorta cute...friend, just because. Nah, I'll pass. Beer nuts, chips, and tv are more preferable.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

No
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Even this question stinks
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Hell NO. bleep PG, Kawahi, Beverly and Ballmer and Zubac too.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
Hell NO. bleep PG, Kawahi, Beverly and Ballmer and Zubac too.

And Frank Lawrence, while we're at it.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject:

My two cents.

To answer the question - YES!

It's just a game — which means that as much as I love the Lakers (or any other team), there is no ethical "rule" that states one can only root for one team. I have been wanting to root for the Lakers and Clippers for a long time now — just as I root for my country in the Olympics, I can also root for my city.

And on the inverse of the "it's just a game" argument -- ethically, I find the level of vitriol directed at players/teams (Clippers, Celtics etc) very disheartening, and even repugnant. The feeling of near or real hatred — it may only be a game, but if we feel this way about this, well, this is why the world still has wars.

As a game goes, so goes life!
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject:

No way, no how.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: