Okay I admit, Rony Turiaf can play this game!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Okay I admit, Rony Turiaf can play this game!!

WOW!

I was thinking before, that maybe all of this energy he had was due to him coming in, at the middle of the season, and his legs were fresh, so he would have a few rebounds, and make a few points. But this kid has the athleticism, basketball IQ, and the energy to play this game even if he had played the whole season. He would still be out there giving 110%, and challenging every shot, and making scrapp points like Rodman did when he played for the Bulls.

Come on guys, we are blessed to have this guy on our team. Even if he is the 9 or 10th guy coming off the bench, he has already established himself as a game changer. He can come on the floor and spark the whole team to just play with some energy.

I think that while he had his surgery, they gave him a bionic heart.

I guess its time to look for a nickname for this guy....

What do ya think?

RONNIE CHEERIE OFF!!!

Last edited by melakerfan on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:

You were a doubter? Shame.

What surprised me was that DEEP jumper, I never thought he had much offense at all but he proved me wrong there. He brings a lot more than just energy and hustle.
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

This guy came from Gonzaga and players from that school have 2 things in my opinion and that is high basketball IQ and hustle.
melakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: PRETTY MUCH!

i will be honest, this guy was taken in the 2nd round, and he just had heart surgey, heck whaddya expect from him? But he is the real deal, and I am 100% behind him everytime he comes on the floor...but he still is gonna have is slumps every now and then. But he has the drive to play through the slumps.
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:

This is why I think he needs to come of the bench because it doesn't put any pressure on him to be this or do that. When he comes off the bench all he has to worry about is being energetic.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

I dont know why, but before I saw him play, just based off his interviews and the way he talked, I thought that he was dumb as a rock and had no IQ, just hustle...boy was i wrong
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I TOTALLY AGREE!

I'm really happy to see the guy on the court not only hustling, but actually producing. Hustle doesn't necessarily equate into effectiveness (see Madsen, who was fun to watch for hustle, but didn't always add much value).

Turiaf has shown that he even knows some of the spots in the triangle where he is supposed to be, and he's able to knock down the jumper.

I said in another post that if Turiaf has a pretty consistent midrange jumper, he'll be a great fit for the triangle. He reminds me of a Horace Grant/ AC Green type. Can box out, can get the boards, can get you a few midrange jumpers when called upon. Those players worked out well for the Lakers, and I'm sure so will Turiaf if he keeps that up. My biggest concern with him is if he has a way to tone down his energy to prevent picking up cheap fouls.
melakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: GOOD POINTER!

lakers2626 wrote:
This is why I think he needs to come of the bench because it doesn't put any pressure on him to be this or do that. When he comes off the bench all he has to worry about is being energetic.

Yea, I think right now Phil has let him know what his role is. But one thing is for sure, is he is causing Kwame to play better, and is putting a lil pressure on the young Bynum. So with his energy, he is affecting this team in multiple ways.

I am dissapointed in Kobe though...he is tired right now, playing too many minutes, and taking to many shots that he cant make at this point in the season...

Right now for me, Ronnie is our only bright spot.
JimmyPage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject:

With a little work, he can be Brian Grant 2.0 for us. That's simply awesome.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

The energy and hustle everyone knows about, but he seems to have a very nice stroke from mid-range. Playing along side Kobe, he'll have that shot available all night long, if he can knock that down consistantly, he'll have a very productive NBA career.
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
I TOTALLY AGREE!

I'm really happy to see the guy on the court not only hustling, but actually producing. Hustle doesn't necessarily equate into effectiveness (see Madsen, who was fun to watch for hustle, but didn't always add much value).

Turiaf has shown that he even knows some of the spots in the triangle where he is supposed to be, and he's able to knock down the jumper.

I said in another post that if Turiaf has a pretty consistent midrange jumper, he'll be a great fit for the triangle. He reminds me of a Horace Grant/ AC Green type. Can box out, can get the boards, can get you a few midrange jumpers when called upon. Those players worked out well for the Lakers, and I'm sure so will Turiaf if he keeps that up. My biggest concern with him is if he has a way to tone down his energy to prevent picking up cheap fouls.

I'm excited about Ronny as well! I think in one of his interviews, he said that while he recovers from surgery he would be studying the Triangle, so when he gets his chance he'll be ready. Something to that effect.
melakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

JimmyPage wrote:
With a little work, he can be Brian Grant 2.0 for us. That's simply awesome.

This kid will be better than Brian Grant...I am sure.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GOOD POINTER!

melakerfan wrote:
lakers2626 wrote:

I am dissapointed in Kobe though...he is tired right now, playing too many minutes, and taking to many shots that he cant make at this point in the season...

Not sure how you arrived to this from a Ronny Turiaf thread. And, today would definitely be the wrong day to suggest that Kobe's taking too many shots that he can't make.

Bryant went 11-20 from the field for 28 points and 8 assists today. Not quite sure how that's taking too many shots, nor am I sure those are shots he can't make.

In general, I do agree that Bryant's tiring out, but today would be the wrong day to make mention of that.
melakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GOOD POINTER!

lakez34 wrote:
melakerfan wrote:
lakers2626 wrote:

Not sure how you arrived to this from a Ronny Turiaf thread. And, today would definitely be the wrong day to suggest that Kobe's taking too many shots that he can't make.

Bryant went 11-20 from the field for 28 points and 8 assists today. Not quite sure how that's taking too many shots, nor am I sure those are shots he can't make.

In general, I do agree that Bryant's tiring out, but today would be the wrong day to make mention of that.

Yea today wasnt the day, but I have followed every game after the break, and his shot selection is lazy and bad. We have all watched kobe for sometime, and while he likes to shoot alot, he usually works a bit to create a good shot for himself...What I see now, is him taking a lazy first look, with no attempt to get closer to the basket. He is tired, and we need to win a few games by alot of points to let reduce his minutes. Remember he did play a lil ball during the break.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
I dont know why, but before I saw him play, just based off his interviews and the way he talked, I thought that he was dumb as a rock and had no IQ, just hustle...boy was i wrong

Turiaf is anything but dumb... the guy knows 5 freaking languages... he might sound dumb in an interview because frankly his primary language is French... and so it gives him a heavy accent.

Take it for what it's worth from a "yeah I know a friend of a friend on a message board", but Turiaf and Kobe are actually getting along quite well from what I hear. My former roommate is still at GU and he's a tutor for some basketball players on the team, and basically they say Turiaf can't say enough good things about Kobe (when they talk to him on the phone).

For the record though... you want Turiaf developing into a 6th man... He had two problems in college... One was playing with a little too much heart at times... He often times choked on the foul line and such and I don't want to say because he didn't believe in himself, but more so because he got too caught up in the moment. Secondly he tended to foul out all the time at GU, atleast for the big games... don't take my word for it though... go check some GU losses the last couple of years... Turiaf basically fouled out of them all or was one away from fouling out.

Those two college traits give me the opinion he can become a stellar 6th man, but probably a subpar starter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Turiaf sure doesn't fit the stereotype, a French speaking guy who's tough as nails and doesn't back down from adversity.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe is the Soul of this team..Ronny is the heart (no pun intended)...dude has a fire in him...did yall hear his quote? "He just wants to have fun..." he brings it...
Steady Mobbin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Its pathetic that a rookie coming back from heart surgery is giving us alot more than Kwame bum azz.

I'm glad for Ronny. hes definitly was a steal @ the 2nd rd.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't he the first or second all time scorer in Gonzaga history?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Thank god for this guy. He's like a rebate from the basketball gods for the Kwame swindle.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:

Turiaf is anything but dumb... the guy knows 5 freaking languages... he might sound dumb in an interview because frankly his primary language is French... and so it gives him a heavy accent.

Take it for what it's worth from a "yeah I know a friend of a friend on a message board", but Turiaf and Kobe are actually getting along quite well from what I hear. My former roommate is still at GU and he's a tutor for some basketball players on the team, and basically they say Turiaf can't say enough good things about Kobe (when they talk to him on the phone).

For the record though... you want Turiaf developing into a 6th man... He had two problems in college... One was playing with a little too much heart at times... He often times choked on the foul line and such and I don't want to say because he didn't believe in himself, but more so because he got too caught up in the moment. Secondly he tended to foul out all the time at GU, atleast for the big games... don't take my word for it though... go check some GU losses the last couple of years... Turiaf basically fouled out of them all or was one away from fouling out.

Those two college traits give me the opinion he can become a stellar 6th man, but probably a subpar starter.

i kind of like that quality about him. He uses his fouls because of defensive intensity and not because of clumsiness and lack of awareness (like Kwame)
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

yes turiaf can play! How dare u question this man. Its only as obvious as saying kwame brown cant catch
Yes i know ive bashed kwame ruthelessly today but for god sake, drako milicic blocking u 3 times, come on, u desrve to be trashed
topramen78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Mitch sucks!

Just want to make sure no one conveniently forgets that as we talk about Bynum and Turiaf.

Make sure you mention Mitch is an idiot for drafting Turiaf...
zagnut08
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

kobenbynum wrote:
Wasn't he the first or second all time scorer in Gonzaga history?

he was 4th untill morrison passed him last game. he finished with 1,723 points in his 4 year carreer

4th in rebounding with 859

6th in fg made : 538

2nd in blocks with 179

1st in ft made : 643
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject:

Heart.

It's what we lost with Rick Fox and Derek Fisher, and what Kobe has held
down since.

Clone a full roster of 13 Kwames and they won't combine for the heart
Turiaf has.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: