Okay I admit, Rony Turiaf can play this game!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
Turiaf sure doesn't fit the stereotype, a French speaking guy who's tough as nails and doesn't back down from adversity.

WTF??? Have you ever ventured out into the world? That is EXACTLY the stereotype of a Frenchman. Anyone who has participated in a war with the French have ALWAYS lauded the fact that they were as tough as nails and don't back down. Spending half of my childhood in English speaking Canada, I've a healthy disdain for a good many parts of French culture, but I'd never show so much hate as to just create a stereotype that is that inaccurate. I remember some of those Bush wannabe posers offering up some of ths type of garbage when the French were smart enough not to get mired in that quagmire of Iraq and just laughed. I'm not a fan of the French, but they are far from looked upon as weenies in this world...

They are absolutely looked upon as weenies in this world. Where have you been? Everyone and their mother cracks constant jokes specifically about the French yellow spine. Cowards IS their stereotype - that and rudeness against Americans. Those 2 things have been loooong running French stereotypes.

True or not is besides the point. That IS how people view them. Spineless rude weenies.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Turiaf> everyone not named Kobe
akula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
Turiaf sure doesn't fit the stereotype, a French speaking guy who's tough as nails and doesn't back down from adversity.

WTF??? Have you ever ventured out into the world? That is EXACTLY the stereotype of a Frenchman. Anyone who has participated in a war with the French have ALWAYS lauded the fact that they were as tough as nails and don't back down. Spending half of my childhood in English speaking Canada, I've a healthy disdain for a good many parts of French culture, but I'd never show so much hate as to just create a stereotype that is that inaccurate. I remember some of those Bush wannabe posers offering up some of ths type of garbage when the French were smart enough not to get mired in that quagmire of Iraq and just laughed. I'm not a fan of the French, but they are far from looked upon as weenies in this world...

Have you seriously never heard this stereotype before? I don't know about other areas of the world, but in the U.S. the French are largely thought of as a pack of surrender-monkies (or at least incredibly poor fighters). Of course this is mostly said in jest. Mostly.

For reasoning, follow this link.

Oh, I've definitely heard the stereotype before, but only in America. But your average American thinks the worlds toughest neighborhoods are the likes of East Philly, Detroit, and Washington DC. I'm not going to hijack this thread and start in on the geopolitical inaccuracies of common American misconceptions of the outside world, but it's safe to say that much of those conceptions are just that - inaccurate....

go to google
type in "french military victories" and click on I'm feeling lucky..

nice suprise waiting for you
PutTheBabyToBed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
That IS how people view them. Spineless rude weenies.

that is only how people in the US view them, and US does not equal world by any stretch of the imagination.

the most popular stereotype of the french worldwide is that they are snobby or arrogant.

americans think the french are spineless, but that is because they have tended to not agree with american foreign policy in recent history. generally, the french tend to lean toward caution and diplomacy, rather than quickly opting for violent or bullying tactics.

even in the UK, there is no stereotype of the french as spineless. Arrogant, dirty, smelly, snail-eating, yes. but spineless, no.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
You were a doubter? Shame.

What surprised me was that DEEP jumper, I never thought he had much offense at all but he proved me wrong there. He brings a lot more than just energy and hustle.

All that time not being able to play Ronny probably worked on his shot a lot.
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

Oh, I've definitely heard the stereotype before, but only in America. But your average American thinks the worlds toughest neighborhoods are the likes of East Philly, Detroit, and Washington DC. I'm not going to hijack this thread and start in on the geopolitical inaccuracies of common American misconceptions of the outside world, but it's safe to say that much of those conceptions are just that - inaccurate....

Thank you, my world-weary Australian friend, for shining your flashlight of knowledge into the dark abyss of ignorance that is the US of A. I feel like I know more about tough cities and French accents already.

Please feel free to awe us with tales of this "outside world" you speak of any time.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

PutTheBabyToBed wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

that is only how people in the US view them, and US does not equal world by any stretch of the imagination.

the most popular stereotype of the french worldwide is that they are snobby or arrogant.

americans think the french are spineless, but that is because they have tended to not agree with american foreign policy in recent history. generally, the french tend to lean toward caution and diplomacy, rather than quickly opting for violent or bullying tactics.

even in the UK, there is no stereotype of the french as spineless. Arrogant, dirty, smelly, snail-eating, yes. but spineless, no.

Snobby, arrogant, dirty, smelly, spineless cowards, yes these are French stereotypes. Hey, look, I watch a lot of british television, as well, and I hear a lot of French wussie jokes all the time. It's not just "Americans" that think that way. That sounds like something the French would tell you, but that doesn't make it true.

Again, these are stereo-types and we're not talking about the validity if their wanting to "negotiate with caution and diplomacy" here. We're talking straight stereo-types, not necessarily actual truths. Perhaps the French aren't wussies, but to argue that they're somehow widely regarded as brave fighters ala Ronny Turiaf (which is what Aussie was trying to convey), is a big joke.

Honestly, what have the French EVER done to make the world outside of the U.S. view them as brave and courageous? Nothing.
expertla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
PutTheBabyToBed wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

Snobby, arrogant, dirty, smelly, spineless cowards, yes these are French stereotypes. Hey, look, I watch a lot of british television, as well, and I hear a lot of French wussie jokes all the time. It's not just "Americans" that think that way. That sounds like something the French would tell you, but that doesn't make it true.

Again, these are stereo-types and we're not talking about the validity if their wanting to "negotiate with caution and diplomacy" here. We're talking straight stereo-types, not necessarily actual truths. Perhaps the French aren't wussies, but to argue that they're somehow widely regarded as brave fighters ala Ronny Turiaf (which is what Aussie was trying to convey), is a big joke.

Honestly, what have the French EVER done to make the world outside of the U.S. view them as brave and courageous? Nothing.

How about receiving kick-backs in the Oil For Food Scandal? Well on second thought, that probably doesn't count.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I don't know, being less religiously tolerant than Communist countries takes big cajones.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Ozendorph wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Thank you, my world-weary Australian friend, for shining your flashlight of knowledge into the dark abyss of ignorance that is the US of A. I feel like I know more about tough cities and French accents already.

Please feel free to awe us with tales of this "outside world" you speak of any time.

Hey,

I was born in Chicago to an American father and a Canadian mother and lived there to the ripe old age of 3 weeks. I lived the first half of my life in Australia and moved to Canada when I was 8. I returned to the US for high school & college. So you can take your pick on what you want to characterize me as: American, Canadian, or Australian since I'm a holder of a passport in each & have spent about equal time in each .

So I'm not some anti American sympathizer who just bashes Americans. I'm far from a basher of any type. Much in the same way I'm always defending the fact that Americans AREN'T war-mongering greedy isolationists with nary a care about the outside world to far too many of my friends in various parts of th world (btw the most common view); I was simply trying to do the same with pointing out that this particular American stereotype of the French is NOT one which is widely held in this world outside of American borders. As you travel around the world you'll seldom run into anyone who shares the view that the French are weenies. As "PutTheBabyToBed" so correctly pointed out: Smelly and arrogant are very commonly held stereotypes about the French, but weenies isn't a commonly held stereotype, nor in my experience is it an accurate one.

Much in the same way that warmongerer's isn't an accurate stereotype of Americans and I'm always defending that fact when in discussions with various friends. Most of those who hold that belief are people who have never even been to America, nor met many Americans so it's just utter ignorance, just as it is when an American who has never experienced French culture spouts off with stereotypes of which he knows little.

So let's be clear, I don't think Americans are ignorant, as that would be calling myself ignorant as well. You're somewhat defensive take on my comentary, well let's say that's a fairly accurate display of another commonly held stereotype.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Uggggh. What happened to this thread?

Poor Ronny's prop thread -- hijacked.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: