Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

This has the potential to be really entertaining, either for us or everyone else. I'll holster my hot takes until the rest of the trade hashes out. Definitely a little nervous
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
The worst part about this is that clueless fans will now call this a super team because they think that the statpadder is actually good.

Actually the worst part of this is that you don’t know what you’re talking about

Westbrook can play team defense taught by a team defensive coach what the problem was with us last year is we went through horrible dry spells of scoring and then there was the additional problem of two of the top five NBA players getting hurt on our team Westbrook adds scoring period

And yes he is a star in the league

Bingo

Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread as the Lakers number 1 priority is keeping healthy not a 3 pt shooter. RW will help offload the scoring from AD/Lebron ….. love this trade and no doubt a 3pt shooter(s) will be coming
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
The worst part about this is that clueless fans will now call this a super team because they think that the statpadder is actually good.

A couple of takeaways:

RW has an infinite motor
RW is a dog (in a good sense) of a player

Definite upgrade over weak arse DS etc

Anyone who has seen him play for an extended period of time knows that the whole “he’s got an infinite motor” narrative is (bleep). He’s a complete zero on defense who gambles for steals and camps the lane for rebounds, thus loosing his man over and over again.

Harrel had an infinite motor too remember? Look at how that turned out.

This is what happens when you hand the franchise over to your superstars and let them make the decisions.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

Mark10 45 wrote:
if this was 2 years ago I'd be okay with it. just not excited about a declining Russ. there was a meme last year about how many dunks he clanked... year older. eh.

You're not getting 2-year removed MVP Russ for some spare parts and a first round pick
#18 next...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
RashardA wrote:
This is wild.

Ive been a Lakers fan my entire life & will be till im dead and gone.

That being the case, I support anyone wearing the purple and gold.

I'll be hopeful that Bron, AD and Russ will make this work because on paper its a horrible fit.

Hopefully Russ making dumb decisions will not be an issue with the Lakers.

Lakers now need to bring back Dwight & JaVale and fill the rest of the roster with nothing but 3 & D guys.

If Rob brings back both Dwight and Javele, that would be dope, but I wonder if he is thinking about re-signing Drummond some way?

Please no Drummond.

Imagine the lob threats from Russ and Bron to AD, Dwight and JaVale.

Bring back our championship winning big man duo...PLEASE!!!

AD and LeBron being healthy won us a Championship. Not McGee and Dwight.

Drummond with the current roster (westbrook, Lebron and AD) would win us a Championship too if they remain healthy.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers just got the best floor raiser in ALL of basketball. Healthy Westbrook is a walking playoff birth and is an elite playmaker, the best PG the Lakers have had since Magic easily. Broadie is going to be extra hungry and motivated to win his first ring and you never will have to worry about Westbrook's intensity and motor, has that Mamba mentality. Bron doesn't have to be the lead ball handler anymore. For all of Westbrook's fault, he was 3rd-team All-NBA a year ago with the Rockets and carried the Wizards to the playoffs after the All-Star break with an MVP type of turnaround he had in the 2nd half of the season. The fit is not the best, but this is the most talented team Westbrook will have played with imo, and that's including playing with KD & Harden since Bron & AD are more versatile basketball players on both ends of the floor.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook was incredible post AS break last year, so there's that. The start of the season is something I won't revisit
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Russ has some stuff he's still really good at some stuff where he's one of the worst in the league.

Cranjis had some of this in a thread a while back. I'll try to summarize it all. His talent grades: 2nd in playmaking, 7th in finishing, 196th in perimeter shooting.

The good side: His playmaking and finishing -- only player matching his talent grades there was LeBron. You are not getting that from any of the parts we sent out. (Keep in mind, he had the ball in his had 46% of the time, 5th in the league.)

The debatable side: He led NBA guards in offensive boards per game and outperformed win rate. On defensive boards, he was second in the NBA. That's crazy, but you do have to question at what cost? His contested rebound percentage was on par with a lot of other players, so I generally think a great rebounding guard helps everything.

Again, if anyone is familiar with Cranjis's LEBRON metric, Russ was 10th in overall impact (10th on D, 21st on O).

On the bad side, if you want him as your pick and roll playmaker, in the playoffs he's been in the bottom 20%. So the AD/WB combo while LeBron sits? Might not be a great duo. Russ's shooting issues cause you so much problems. Teams will just go under and dare WB to shoot and wipe out a lot of standard actions. So you want him on-ball because he can't space the floor, but even then you've got some problems to deal with. (For the stat geeks: Defenses went under ball screens 60% higher on him than they did Caruso. Lowest pick and roll ball handler efficiency among 79 guards/wings this past year...AC was 2nd worst, Westbrook 4th worst. WB's PPP was 0.71 and AC's was 0.66.)

The really bad: He isolated the second most of any guard and had horrible efficiency. Among guards, it was the worst in the league. The three shooting: he took easier threes than 91% of the NBA and underperformed on them worse than 99% of the players.

WB has incredibly bad habits. His habits are why hes not won anything in his career. He isn't going to change in his 14th season and he hasnt been a good fit with any other ball dominant star. He is now third fiddle and is going to try to play like hes the #1 option.

Sigh we used all our assets worth anything for this trade too.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:

Actually the worst part of this is that you don’t know what you’re talking about

Westbrook can play team defense taught by a team defensive coach what the problem was with us last year is we went through horrible dry spells of scoring and then there was the additional problem of two of the top five NBA players getting hurt on our team Westbrook adds scoring period

You’re exactly the type of fan I’m referring to, let me guess, you probably thought Drummond was gonna be great too didn’t you?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
if this was 2 years ago I'd be okay with it. just not excited about a declining Russ. there was a meme last year about how many dunks he clanked... year older. eh.

WB is my least liked player in the league. Having to
stomach his arrogant jazz will be painful. For a guy that
has always lost in the NBA he sure as hell showboats way
too much.

Someone once said, but Kobe was arrogant; yeah but
he grew up being a winner and Laker, he was my kid from
when he was a teen until when he passed. No way to
compare those two.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
RashardA wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
RashardA wrote:
This is wild.

Ive been a Lakers fan my entire life & will be till im dead and gone.

That being the case, I support anyone wearing the purple and gold.

I'll be hopeful that Bron, AD and Russ will make this work because on paper its a horrible fit.

Hopefully Russ making dumb decisions will not be an issue with the Lakers.

Lakers now need to bring back Dwight & JaVale and fill the rest of the roster with nothing but 3 & D guys.

If Rob brings back both Dwight and Javele, that would be dope, but I wonder if he is thinking about re-signing Drummond some way?

Please no Drummond.

Imagine the lob threats from Russ and Bron to AD, Dwight and JaVale.

Bring back our championship winning big man duo...PLEASE!!!

AD and LeBron being healthy won us a Championship. Not McGee and Dwight.

Drummond with the current roster (westbrook, Lebron and AD) would win us a Championship too if they remain healthy.

Outside of rebounding, Drummond is horrible.

I'll never understand why fans go out of their way to belittle the efforts of role players who contributed to that championship.

Having both of those guys kept AD fresh over the course of the regular season and the Lakers dont get past the Nuggets without Dwight.

Both of those guys are champions and Drummond is a clown who cant defend for (bleep).

Give me Dwight and JaVale all day over him.

Last edited by RashardA on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Intlakeshow wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:

You’re exactly the type of fan I’m referring to, let me guess, you probably thought Drummond was gonna be great too didn’t you?

The only thing worse than your basketball takes is your intuition about other posters I never wanted Drummond I wanted Damien Jones to stay

Last edited by Polarbear on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Arguably the best front court fastbreak
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Trading away Harrell and Kuzma is addition by subtraction. So really we’re just trading away KCP and a first rounder.

This !!!
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:

The only thing worse than your basketball takes is your intuition about other posters I never wanted Drummond I wanted Damien Jones to stay

I’m not gonna go through your posting history to verify the above because your Westbrook take is plenty bad enough.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Feeling ambivalent on this one.

Definitely see chemistry and style issues. Definitely see some talent and “star” potential that can be a difference maker next season.

Still need to see how the rest of the roster fills out. Can Pelinka address the 3pt shooting, defense and depth issues? Hopefully the rumored “vets will be lining up” narrative is true and adds some talented players. We shall see.

Hoping they can be as serious contenders on the court as they seem to be on paper. I have been a long time fan and will always support the name on the jersey, but it is getting tougher to root for some of the players they keep putting in that jersey.

Russell f’n Westbrook…. seriously?
misterchipmunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I love Westbrook. I hope he can be his MVP self with us. We need his playmaking and rebounds.

I'm a little iffy on the fit with Lebron and AD but if we surround ourselves with shooters, we would be unstoppable.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

alleyoop wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

You're not getting 2-year removed MVP Russ for some spare parts and a first round pick

Just because they are spare parts and a low pick doesn’t mean this is a good trade. You can leverage return further than this.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Mark10 45 wrote:

I agree....22, 12 and 12 is the kind of declining numbers I don't want on this team.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Alright let's be frank.

Westbrook and Schroeder's fits are similar. Remember Schroeder's shot wasn't consistent from the perimeter this season, so a lot of his offense came from attacking the basket, and he was able to score effectively whilst doing so.

Russell Westbrook is that exact same playstyle but turned up to 400 + rebounding.

So Westbrook in terms of his fit compared to playstyle.. we saw a point guard get his offense mostly from attacking the basket last season. That was what Schroeder had to do, and it didn't screw up our spacing.

Why? Because we were pretty much counting on KCP to make people pay from the perimeter and occasionally Schroeder from a spot up situation when LeBron fed him.

So after watching Schroeder last season, yes Westbrook can fit with this team. What the team needs though is a reliable three point shooter at the 2 now.

Unless they get Derozan then it's just overkill in terms of individual scoring possible but NO and I repeat NO three point shooting.

Unless Derozan says "I'll come for the MLE" then you need to go for it.

Fair point. If we get Hield, who has gravity that KCP didn't possess, it can work.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

As exciting as this is, we need good/great 3-point shooting STAT. Ideally we would sign-and-trade Schroder for Buddy Hield.

What gives me hope that this would work well is the fact that Giannis, who is equally a bad shooter, made it work this year.

If I'm coach Vogel I'm telling LeBron and AD right now to really work on their 3-point shooting. Both should aim to shoot 40% from downtown next season, even if they fall a little short of that.

On the bright side, as long as we have those shooters and one more finisher at the rim, our fast break is going to be lit! It was already arguably the best in the league. Now it will improve to a whole new level.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

I agree....22, 12 and 12 is the kind of declining numbers I don't want on this team.

Big deal, Russ has done it 4x so it's not that hard.

I mean look at all the other NBA guys that have done it. See what I am saying!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

Stats are meaningless in this case. It is about fit and chemistry. This is an odd fit.

Both Westbrook’s and James’ stats will decline. Who adjusts better to not having the ball in his hands? Who can be a better off ball contributor? Are we really diminishing James as a ball handler and decision maker, his greatest skill? James to the post? Corner 3s?

On defense, Lakers have to “hide “ two players now. Going to be interesting to see who the defenders ( other then Davis, when healthy) who work their butts off chasing opposing scorers? Through screens, close outs?
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Love the trade specially who we giving up...

They can bring guys like McDermott, Batum, Jeff Green, and Reddick... Even bring back guys like Danny Green, Bullock, Matthews, and McClemore.

By trading TRezz do have the Fullmle again?
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Intlakeshow wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:

I’m not gonna go through your posting history to verify the above because your Westbrook take is plenty bad enough.

You must be a rocket scientist you need not look any further than the main page where I am practically begging to bring Damien Jones back
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 5 of 426
Jump to: