Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Russ seemed to get up higher than he had all year up to that point for that dunk. He was doing rim grazers up to that one.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Damn probably one of the quietest night on this thread after a game...

Dunk of the year!!!

The problem is that next game he is liable to have 8 turnovers and 5 missed layups. I can celebrate RW all day as long as he doesn't do the stupid things. I've said from the beginning that when he plays under control, he's effective.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I love how people still dont get why bron wanted russ.

Go look at
KD, Harden, beal, PG stats playing next to him.

now add that AD and Russ are really tight.

I don't care why Lebron wanted him, I care why Pelinka/Rambis agreed. Rambis has extensive experience working with Phil and knowing how ball dominant PGs who don't shoot, usually fail. From all accounts, Rambis has a lot of say in what's going on (Kurt here). The Lakers did everything according to plan. They moved Kuz/Trez for Hield, which was exactly what the team needed in terms of floor balance on offense. They could have kept Caruso and THT as unlike WB there's no added salary. Then, they suddenly jump for WB. Something changed their mind, and I'd love to know what the justification was.

I can't see Rambis do this, it's no really the way he's seen championship teams win. It still falls on Pelinka/Rambis/FO, but I would guess there was some sort of pressure on them to make this move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I love how people still dont get why bron wanted russ.

Go look at
KD, Harden, beal, PG stats playing next to him.

now add that AD and Russ are really tight.

I don't care why Lebron wanted him, I care why Pelinka/Rambis agreed. Rambis has extensive experience working with Phil and knowing how ball dominant PGs who don't shoot, usually fail. From all accounts, Rambis has a lot of say in what's going on (Kurt here). The Lakers did everything according to plan. They moved Kuz/Trez for Hield, which was exactly what the team needed in terms of floor balance on offense. They could have kept Caruso and THT as unlike WB there's no added salary. Then, they suddenly jump for WB. Something changed their mind, and I'd love to know what the justification was.

I can't see Rambis do this, it's no really the way he's seen championship teams win. It still falls on Pelinka/Rambis/FO, but I would guess there was some sort of pressure on them to make this move.

Lets not just say "I don't care what lebron wants". its "I don't care what lebron and the guy we have hitched our future to wants".
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Lebron wanted Lue, yet he wasn't signed. When it makes sense for the FO, they do not listen to him. Something about the WB move made sense to them. I wonder what it was. Because it's not that I think Hield > WB. I don't think Hield is much of a player at 20M+. I just think if you were gonna move KCP and Caruso, you better have a hell of a good reason to do it. I feel they may have thought WB was still a star. I certainly tried to talk myself into believing that WB is still the WB of 2017.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lebron wanted Lue, yet he wasn't signed. When it makes sense for the FO, they do not listen to him. Something about the WB move made sense to them. I wonder what it was. Because it's not that I think Hield > WB. I don't think Hield is much of a player at 20M+. I just think if you were gonna move KCP and Caruso, you better have a hell of a good reason to do it. I feel they may have thought WB was still a star. I certainly tried to talk myself into believing that WB is still the WB of 2017.

how do we know he wanted lue? We heard that bron and AD met with russ.

Facts are bron and AD carry weight with the franchise as do most superstar players, in this case its two.

beal IIRC had his best year next to Russ or close to.
PG was an MVP candidate next to him
KD won scoring titles next to him
Harden was elite next to him, he's not that dominant away from him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

If LeBron wanted Luke gone and Lue hired. Luke would be gone and Lue would have been hired.

That's what Magic wanted too.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:

Dunk of the year!!!

I loved the WB usage last night--28 minutes, mostly on the bench during the 4th. I loved that dunk! But, let's be honest, WB did not have a great game: 5-15 shooting (1-4 from 3); 3 assists to 2 turnovers; 15, 8 and 3; -11 for the game.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I did the same as you since I wasn't a fan of Russ coming but tried to remain optimistic and look at the possible benefits of it.. I personally think the biggest reason was that both of our Superstars have had plenty of run ins with injuries in recent years and with an upcoming full 82 game season after just seeing everyone beyond Bron and AD mostly play like crap tbh when they were out and continuing into the Playoffs they decided to make a move that could be a homerun or a complete strikeout. Sadly, it has been an absolute strikeout thus far and Russ has hardly even allowed Bron to get any extra rest or anything but I could see that angle early on.

You see how well other superstars had played with Russ over the years and then add the fact that he'd have the lowest responsibility since his early Thunder days on top of the fact he seemed like someone you could rest Bron randomly for games and Russ could still give the team a solid chance at winning with his one man show like he has in the past (speaking purely for the regular season). None of that has really panned out at all and Russ has mostly been an absolute horror show outside of a few games/moments.

I think we're pretty much in the same position if we stayed pat or do the Hield trade and fans instead would be talking about how incompetent Rob is for expecting the failed supporting cast to make us a Contender this season. Our previous role players were barely enough when both Bron and AD played like top 3-5 players on both ends in the entire league. Bron is still there offensively but defensively he has to pick his moments more then ever and AD has def. not been top 5 on either end anytime this season. I'm hoping that changes at some point later this year but it's not anything I expect to happen anymore like I once did.

At this point i'm not a fan of the Russ trade at all like most but looking at other scenarios i'm not sure I see us being legitimate Contenders anyways unless AD comes back as a dominant 2 way force again and Bron can continue his great play. No matter what it always comes down to those 2 guys but with Bron at 37 now we can't afford to have AD regress into just a very solid star player and expect to make real noise.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Dunk of the year!!!

I loved the WB usage last night--28 minutes, mostly on the bench during the 4th. I loved that dunk! But, let's be honest, WB did not have a great game: 5-15 shooting (1-4 from 3); 3 assists to 2 turnovers; 15, 8 and 3; -11 for the game.

Good sign that he can play poorly and they can still beat a top team.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Facts are bron and AD carry weight with the franchise as do most superstar players, in this case its two.

Harden had his best year with CP3. Not Westbrook. And he was more than able to carry the rockets without either of those 2. Beal increased his PPG by 0.8 playing with Russ. Whoopty doo.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Harden had his best year with CP3. Not Westbrook. And he was more than able to carry the rockets without either of those 2. Beal increased his PPG by 0.8 playing with Russ. Whoopty doo.

Beal also shot 48.5% from the FG (career best) 3% better than his previous year.
It is not a coincidence that super stars play well around Westbrook, for all his weakness, he is not a selfish player. Based on the reactions from lebron, i don’t get any sense he hates Westbrook, he was celebrating hard with him. I just the big 3 can play together more for us to make a judgement.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Harden was elite every season in Houston, even his first one with no training camp next to Jeremy Lin. Well, his last season where he was trying to get traded he obviously wasn’t elite. The Rockets likely woulda had the sand finish that season without Westbrook. He missed most of their 1st round series anyway.

OKC improved after Westbrook left. Houston got worse when he got there. Washington improved after he left (so far). Etc
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Harden was elite every season in Houston, even his first one with no training camp next to Jeremy Lin. Well, his last season where he was trying to get traded he obviously wasn’t elite. The Rockets likely woulda had the sand finish that season without Westbrook. He missed most of their 1st round series anyway.

OKC improved after Westbrook left. Houston got worse when he got there. Washington improved after he left (so far). Etc

the point is guys play well next to him. facts show that. So when people want to question why he was brought in now they know. Especially with bron chasing scoring title. As proven Russ is perfect in helping bron focus solely on chasing KAJ.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Oh that big swelling head of his after that dunk will cause him to go into chucker mode with 9 TOs.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Oh that big swelling head of his after that dunk will cause him to go into chucker mode with 9 TOs.

In fairness to Westbrook he's had a mere 6 turnovers in the past 6 games with a stellar 5.5 assist to turnover ratio.

If you are going to criticize him for things, you should at least give him some props when he improves that aspect of his game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:

In fairness to Westbrook he's had a mere 6 turnovers in the past 6 games with a stellar 5.5 assist to turnover ratio.

If you are going to criticize him for things, you should at least give him some props when he improves that aspect of his game.

He was starting to come around playing with AD when Lebron was out. Now it seems he is learning to play with Lebron. The shooting percentages don’t bother me, I wasn’t expecting better percentages.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:

He has low turnovers because he doesn't play make anymore. He barely has the ball in his hands. His low turnovers isn't by improvement, it's by design. Therefore props is not warranted.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
the point is guys play well next to him. facts show that.

Facts show those guys play well next to pretty much anybody....
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
He has low turnovers because he doesn't play make anymore. He barely has the ball in his hands. His low turnovers isn't by improvement, it's by design. Therefore props is not warranted.

As I said he has a 5.5 assist to turnover ratio ratio in those games. He did lead the team in assists in 2 of those 6 games, and was second in assists in two others. So it isn't that he isn't handling the ball.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Harden is also a choker, and everyone without a houston glasses will see that.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Russ seemed to get up higher than he had all year up to that point for that dunk. He was doing rim grazers up to that one.

Likely him using his left arm as leverage on Goberts shoulder helped him get higher then usual. No whistle so no foul, but it helped.

Spectacular dunk though.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject:

5-17 shooting

43M a year

Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
5-17 shooting

43M a year

It gets better next year- 47m po 😂
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Frank Vogel on his decision to sub out Russell Westbrook for the final four minutes of the game: “Playing the guys that I thought were going to win the game”

That’s the highest paid player in the league this season and next he’s talking about, and a guy that cost you Caruso, Pope, Kuzma, Trez and a 1st to acquire. I hate to say it, and Bron deserves a lot of blame for the move too, but the Westbrook acquisition is looking like a full MozDeng fireable offense for Pelinka.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 186 of 426
Jump to: