DWIGHT HOWARD Officially Back Part III Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
textbook wrote:
It's very simple. Put Dwight in the Mcgee role. Mcgee only played like 15 min a game for us. First 5-6 minutes of the quarter. Leave Davis at center for the rest of the quarter. Let Lebron play Center first 4-5 min of second quarter. Then ride out AD or bring dwight back for the final minutes of half.

Works for me....DJ is not needed...I would then bring back Dwight with 5-6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter...otherwise you have fragile AD playing about 40 minutes a game.

Exactly. I would play it by ear and see how we are doing. If AD is on his third or fourth game ending injury but he's ok after, then put Dwight back in.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

“It’s not always gonna be DJ, sometimes it will be Dwight,” Vogel said. “You could see Dwight in the starting lineup with DJ being the third center or whatnot. We’ll continue to evaluate that going forward.”

Vogel quote. Hoping for Dwight to start more games moving forward
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Cutting DAJ and replacing him with even a barely NBA caliber 5 would improve this team more than any of the (realistic) trade ideas i've seen.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

“It’s not always gonna be DJ, sometimes it will be Dwight,” Vogel said. “You could see Dwight in the starting lineup with DJ being the third center or whatnot. We’ll continue to evaluate that going forward.”

Vogel quote. Hoping for Dwight to start more games moving forward

I don't think playing DJ is actually the root of the problems with the loosing but happy to have Dwight on the team and thankful he finally looked like Dwight Howard again at least for one game. I think the bigger thing is that hopefully Vogel realizes that the team needs a productive C playing significant minutes as opposed to rolling with only AD (and LBJ at C?) as the lone big on the floor.

Having height/power is an advantage the Lakers still have and should use - Fast break/small ball/3 pointers are nice to be able to do but they will never do that as well as GSW. For the most part, championships have come down to getting to the rim, limiting/getting second chances on misses and then defending the rim - all typically require bigs who play BIG in these areas - the more on the floor the better, IMO.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
DJ does two things better than Dwight from what I've seen (but this is just the eye test here). When you see him roll he can get higher lobs than Dwight. Dwight has not been as good this year on those lobs. I am not sure what the current verticals of both guys are, but I think DAJ is a longer vertical threat on those lob plays.

Second and it's the same thing. On the 50-50 rebounds, DAJ tends to get higher and the rebound vs Dwight.

Literally everything else Dwight does better, but Dwight has not been the same player as 2 years ago. He's a little less effective at finishing around the rim. He's also less intimidating with his above the rim plays. I would play Dwight more than DAJ, but I think DAJ does bring some added length and vertical spacing than Dwight. Dwight is 6'10 with a 7'5 wingspan. But he's not getting off the ground the same way as 2 years ago (and nowhere near his prime). DAJ is 6'11 with a 7'6 wingspan. I know it doesn't seem much of a difference, but when I see the vertical spacing, and vertical challenging around the rim, I think DAJ is a little better than Dwight at this.

Literally everything else Dwight beats him by miles. Rotations. Physicality. Post presence, post base. Man D. Team D. etc. He's just a better player, always has been. But at this stage in his careeer (and age) I think Dwight struggles with some of the vertical spacing opportunities we want to implement.

Good obs Wolf...you're right Dwight is not jumping as high as he did 2 years ago...but it's still high enough to block shots and intimidate...the catching lobs thing that you talked about...the reason is IMO Dwight really works on setting high picks and therefore is not as close to the rim as DJ...DJ is always looking for lobs and does an average job at best at setting the high picks to free up the dribbler or shooter coming off the pick

It looks like Dwight buffed up a bit and is still figuring how or if to cut down.. lol I was just searching for his weight over the past couple years and found these...

Dwight Howard’s ‘bizarre’ body transformation October 29, 2019
An unstoppable force once known as Superman has undergone a “never seen before” body transformation that might save his career.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nba/dwight-howards-bizarre-body-transformation/news-story/36d33cf3f4a7220c1c2dd19c1046c2da

Quote:
The new-look Dwight Howard could be the NBA’s most confusing player.

The 33-year-old eight-time All Star has fans, and commentators scratching their heads after a dramatic weight loss heading into his final roll of the dice with the Los Angeles Lakers this season.

The former superstar once known as “Superman” during his dominant seasons with Orlando found himself in the NBA’s version of the last-chance saloon this off-season after being traded away by Washington last season where he played just eight games and struggled to recover from back surgery.

NBA: This 1 Diet Technique Helped Dwight Howard Lose 40 Pounds
by Dave Consolazio on November 19, 2019
https://www.sportscasting.com/nba-this-1-diet-technique-helped-dwight-howard-lose-40-pounds/
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Dwight maintains his physical conditioning like very few other big men. DAJ was never in great shape and right now is in the worst shape of his career.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

DAJ isn't in horrible shape. Just old.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Frank Vogel says he intends to start Dwight Howard tomorrow night.

Very much over due. Anxious to see how he and the team does. The only guy that really just cares about defense...maybe Avery too.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Dwight knows the defensive coverages and what Vogel likes. He has chemistry with AD defensively.

DAJ is still learning them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Amazing that Dwight went from potentially not playing against the Kings to helping us win against the Kings to potentially earning a stating spot for the rest of the season... that’s just awesome on so many levels.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Finally. Now to just replace DAJ with a younger body.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Whoa, did not notice the bolded!

Quote:
@hmfaigen
Frank Vogel says Dwight Howard will start tomorrow against the Clippers. The team will only use one center moving forward.

THANK YOU!!!

Now do this with Avery Bradley.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Quote:
@hmfaigen
Frank Vogel says Dwight Howard will start tomorrow against the Clippers. The team will only use one center moving forward.

THANK YOU!!!

When Vogel needed full court man-defense he had no one to call upon but Bradley (no AC, no KCP). Now that Reeves is back he has one more option. Let's see.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Quote:
@hmfaigen

THANK YOU!!!

You want Avery Bradley playing center?

pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

As has been pointed out on Twitter, the timing of this announcement is curious. Vogel doesn't have to announce starters until tomorrow. Basically telling DAJ *and* the FO "i'm not playing this dude anymore." You haven't done a ton right Vogel, but this
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
As has been pointed out on Twitter, the timing of this announcement is curious. Vogel doesn't have to announce starters until tomorrow. Basically telling DAJ *and* the FO "i'm not playing this dude anymore." You haven't done a ton right Vogel, but this

Couldn't agree more. I think he feels the pressure being on the hot seat and on the verge of being the scapegoat, so I hope he's flipping the bird on politics. Notice he gave himself a pat on the back after the Kings game.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Dwight Howard is one of the few Lakers who plays with energy and passion. So does Malik Monk. Rajon Rondo plays with pride and commitment to win. The rest of them are sleep walking.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Quote:
@hmfaigen

THANK YOU!!!

You want Avery Bradley playing center?

textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME. DAJ just doesn't bring the intensity and seems to have developed Kwame hands. I would seriously consider cutting him for a bigger wing defensive player.

New Starters:

Dwight
AD
Lebron
Bradley
WB

Second Unit:

Lebron
Melo
THT
Ellington
Monk

Sprinkle in Reaves here and there.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME. DAJ just doesn't bring the intensity and seems to have developed Kwame hands. I would seriously consider cutting him for a bigger wing defensive player.

New Starters:

Dwight
AD
Lebron
Bradley
WB

Second Unit:

Lebron
Melo
THT
Ellington
Monk

Reaves should be starting, or even Monk. Bradley should be the one being "sprinkled in" or not at all. He's another non-shooter whose "activity" on the ball belies some overall poor defense. This franchise really needs to start paying attention to why good teams let seemingly good players go (like Nets with DAJ and Miami with Bradley). It's one thing when it's a veteran player buried on a young roster/tanking team. But a playoff team with no use for them? Probably because they're providing more harm than good!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Really excited about what Dwight brings tonight...if he play to his capabilities there's no way he should lose his spot to DJ...In fact, if Vogel is serious about playing one center...DJ should be resorted to the bench from now on unless Dwight needs time management.
Robz
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Dwight first 6 minutes of every quarter.

AD plays all of 1st and 3rd, rest first 6 or so or 2nd and 4th.

Will always have a defensive shotblocker on court and Dwight can beat up bigger centers to start both halfs
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I don’t know why the corpse of DJ was signed in first place
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
I don’t know why the corpse of DJ was signed in first place

Because they thought they were getting a Javele, Dwight tandem again, but it didn't happen that way, exactly, due to DAJ being nothing like Javele.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
textbook wrote:

New Starters:

Dwight
AD
Lebron
Bradley
WB

Second Unit:

Lebron
Melo
THT
Ellington
Monk

Reaves should be starting, or even Monk. Bradley should be the one being "sprinkled in" or not at all. He's another non-shooter whose "activity" on the ball belies some overall poor defense. This franchise really needs to start paying attention to why good teams let seemingly good players go (like Nets with DAJ and Miami with Bradley). It's one thing when it's a veteran player buried on a young roster/tanking team. But a playoff team with no use for them? Probably because they're providing more harm than good!

If only we had kept Caruso as the starting 2 guard.... But I do like the idea of Reaves starting in place of Avery and then using Monk off the bench as a 6th man scorer. Between he and Melo coming off the bench, scoring shouldn't be a problem for the 2nd unit unless both are cold. Nunn will be a HUGE addition when he comes back too.

But to your point of Avery and DJ.. agreed also. Avery at least can defend still and it wouldn't be nice to have him somewhere at the end of the bench in case we need to sic a defensive player on a hot guard. DJ, he can go. Hate to say because he's a likable guy and in his prime was really good but he's clearly not worth mins right now. I'd say to cut him in favor of a wing who can defend a bit (Justin Anderson, Stanley Johnson, James Ennis) but then we're left with little to no size if either AD and/or Dwight go down or are in foul trouble.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 12 of 17
Jump to: