March 1st: Lakers crush Magic 102-87. Odom left off U.S.A. team.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: March 1st: Lakers crush Magic 102-87. Odom left off U.S.A. team.

Lakers crush Magic 102-87
By Sports Network
Last Updated 12:07 am PST Wednesday, March 1, 2006
Kobe Bryant scored half of his 28 points in the fourth quarter and dished out eight assists, as the Los Angeles Lakers beat the struggling Magic, 102-87, sending Orlando to its ninth straight road loss.

Smush Parker tallied 17 points and seven assists for the Lakers, who snapped a two-game skid and won at home against the Magic for a ninth consecutive time. Brian Cook and Chris Mihm each totaled 12 points, while Kwame Brown had 11 and Ronny Turiaf scored 10.

"I thought we played in spurts tonight," Lakers head coach Phil Jackson said. "We came out with a little more energy in the third quarter, compared to our last two games, which helped a lot."

Grant Hill had 23 points on 6-of-9 shooting from the floor and 11-of-13 at the foul line, but the Magic lost for the 14th time in their last 16 games. Dwight Howard added 15 points and nine rebounds in the loss.

The Magic had 13 turnovers in the first half and 18 for the game.

"We had way too many turnovers in the first half," Magic head coach Brian Hill said. "We gave them 17 points. Our offensive execution to start the third quarter was poor."

Last edited by Phil on Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject:

Odom left off U.S. team
By Ross Siler Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES - Lakers forward Lamar Odom, who started on the United States team that won the bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Olympics, learned this week that he was not invited to take part in USA Basketball's training camp this summer.

Odom met with USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo in Phoenix on Jan. 20. He said he learned the news through a letter sent to his agent, Jeff Schwartz. The 25 invited players are scheduled to be announced Sunday.

"It was their decision," Odom said. "Of course, I would like to (play). If not, more time with the kids."

Philadelphia guard Allen Iverson, another member of the 2004 team, also was not invited to the training camp. Kobe Bryant was the first player to commit to play for USA Basketball at this summer's world championships and the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Odom was praised for his play in Athens, in particular when he took the court for one game against Greece despite staying up all night with a stomach virus. He said there were "no hard feelings" with not being selected.

"For me, I'm always happy that my players don't have to go and play in it," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "First of all, I think it's a lot of work. It's extra basketball. I think it takes the life away from the franchise, for a player that you've invested a lot of money in. So I'm not disappointed from my own personal standpoint.

"From his standpoint, I think he liked playing in it. I think he was proud of being a member of that. I think it was something that helped him grow as a basketball player. So I'm disappointed he didn't get the opportunity."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

Notebook: GM eyes Penny, other guards

12:41 AM PST on Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Broderick Turner

LOS ANGELES - The Lakers still are searching for ways to improve, and they appear to need the most help in the backcourt.

On Tuesday, General Manager Mitch Kupchak said he spoke with Coach Phil Jackson about Penny Hardaway and Rick Brunson, veteran guards who were recently waived.

Asked if the Lakers had talked to or brought in guard Tony Delk on Monday to gauge the veteran guard's interest in joining the team, Kupchak responded with "no comment."

Kupchak said it was his understanding that Delk, who had cleared waivers after being waived by the Atlanta Hawks on Friday, was going to sign with the Detroit Pistons.

With Aaron McKie still out with a slight tear in his left quadriceps, the Lakers basically have a three-guard rotation.

"We'll continue to look at the waiver wire," Kupchak said.

Players waived by today still are eligible to be on another team's playoff roster.

Hardaway and Brunson have each played just four games this season, Delk one. Hardaway, 6-foot-7, is injury-prone at 34 but has career averages of 15.4 points and 5.1 assists. Delk and Brunson are career backups with more modest numbers.

Kupchak said the Lakers also will look at players in the developmental league.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

Third is the word
No 3rd-quarter woes
By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

Ronny Turiaf knocking down shots nobody knew he could? Smush Parker opting not to throw a behind-the-back pass on the fastbreak? Lamar Odom delivering a dunk that left his teammates staring at the scoreboard waiting for a replay?

All of the above came as surprises Tuesday night, but the Lakers' play in the third quarter of their 102-87 victory over the Orlando Magic might have been the biggest shocker of all at Staples Center.

The Lakers took care of the Magic 38-23 in the third - the most points they had scored in the quarter since the night Kobe Bryant went for 81 against Toronto - and turned a three-point game at halftime into a blowout.

"I think we came out with a little more energy in the third quarter just by reason of thinking about it," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "Really thinking about the fact that, 'Let's support each other, let's get going, let's get ourselves playing right.' "
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:

Bryant's 28 helps Lakers beat Magic
KEN PETERS
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Kobe Bryant seemed to pace himself until the Los Angeles Lakers needed him in their victory over the Orlando Magic.

Bryant took only six shots in the first half, but started putting the ball up late in the game when the Magic staged a mild threat, and he scored the Lakers' final 10 points in Tuesday night's 102-87 victory.

Bryant had 14 points in the fourth quarter and finished with 28 on 11-of-20 shooting. He also had eight assists and three steals.

"We did a good job at moving the basketball and executing on offense," he said. "A lot of guys got open looks, and that is what happens when we run our offense.

"People touch the ball and get shots."

Smush Parker added 17 points, seven assists and three steals for the Lakers, who took control of the game with a third-quarter scoring burst.

Lamar Odom had eight points, 12 rebounds and five assists as Los Angeles climbed back above the .500 mark at 29-28. Chris Mihm and Brian Cook had 12 points apiece in the Lakers' balanced attack, Kwame Brown had 11 and Ronny Turiaf 10.

Grant Hill, obviously getting over the sports hernia problem that's dogged him, led the Magic with 23 points on 6-of-9 shooting.

"I'm feeling pretty good," Hill said. "I'll just continue to work and get in better shape, continue to work with the new guys and just try to get better. It's tough out there. I'm sweating like crazy."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject:

Jackson Couldn't Agree More, and That's Too Bad
March 1, 2006

Before my Tuesday night Laker-Magic pregame chat with Phil Jackson, I sought advice from Jeanie Buss on what approach I should take with her boyfriend.

Jeanie and I get along really well, because as she has to admit, no one has worked harder in this town trying to get her a ring. In fact it almost goes without saying, once it finally happens, I'll probably be Phil's best man.

But in the meantime — like Jeanie and Phil — Phil and I are working on our relationship. At times I've felt the strain of our busy lives, not always feeling we talk like we should, but Jeanie disagreed, saying she thought Phil was doing just fine as my "bucket boy."

Now I have no idea what that means, but I know Dallas Maverick owner Mark Cuban called Jackson the same thing recently, and so maybe that's the nickname he goes by with his real close friends.

"Don't change a thing in dealing with Phil; he needs that," Jeanie told me, while referring to the yin and yang of things when it comes to her boyfriend, adding that she views me as "Phil's yang."

I think it's important in a relationship to be open, so I went to the Bucket Boy and told him, "Jeanie views me as your yang," and without giving it any thought whatsoever, he said, "I don't want to be your yang."

Last edited by Phil on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject:

Lakers Don't Cross Line
They get a big third quarter this time and remain above .500 with a 102-87 victory over the Magic. Six players score in double figures.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
March 1, 2006

The Lakers wouldn't let it happen again — they really couldn't at this point in the season — so they beat an overwhelmed Eastern Conference opponent, knocking back the Orlando Magic two days after failing to do the same to the Boston Celtics.

Not entirely comfortable with falling below .500 for the first time since Jan. 6, the Lakers decided to make the third quarter their own, for a change, and ran off with a 102-87 victory Tuesday night at Staples Center that moved them to 29-28.

ADVERTISEMENT
Had there been a loss, the sense that things were slipping away would have been understandable, with upcoming road games against Portland and Golden State, followed by home games against Detroit and San Antonio, followed by more road games in New Orleans and San Antonio.

So the Lakers took care of a few weaknesses, filling up their third quarter with 38 points, getting a little more out of Kwame Brown, and winning at home, where they had been 15-11, the worst of the top eight Western Conference teams.

In doing so, they remained No. 8 in the West, their most substantial achievement of the night.

"The team needed this one, more than anything," said Smush Parker, who had 17 points and seven assists, indicative of a night where everybody shared, the Lakers logging assists on 31 of their 41 field goals.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

Bryant and Lakers fight off magic

ssociated Press

3/1/2006 1:22:00 AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Kobe Bryant seemed to pace himself until the Los Angeles Lakers needed him in their victory over the Orlando Magic.

Bryant took only six shots in the first half, but started putting the ball up late in the game when the Magic staged a mild threat, and he scored the Lakers' final 10 points in Tuesday night's 102-87 victory.

Bryant had 14 points in the fourth quarter and finished with 28 on 11-of-20 shooting. He also had eight assists and three steals.

''We did a good job at moving the basketball and executing on offence,'' he said. ''A lot of guys got open looks, and that is what happens when we run our offence.

''People touch the ball and get shots.''
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject:

Lakers get right to it
Their third-quarter effort is part of an improved effort that sparks a blowout.

By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES – The season summation from Coach Phil Jackson before the Lakers played Tuesday night at Staples Center was this: "It takes really a concerted effort to find competency and self-confidence, and that's what we're trying to get across."

The effort - especially in that troublesome third quarter - was there. Next came the competency of a 102-87 rout of the Orlando Magic. And Jackson's hope is that it breeds self-confidence into the future.

The full-court pressure defense that Jackson has always believed would be key for these Lakers came into full bloom in the third quarter behind Smush Parker's three steals, four assists and 10 points. Parker finished with 17 points, seven assists and no turnovers.

"We came out with a little more energy in that third quarter just by reason of thinking about it, really thinking about supporting each other and getting going and playing right," Jackson said.

Parker, who had upset Jackson by missing a dunk and passing to Ronny Turiaf instead of trying to dunk in recent losses, got a lift early when Kobe Bryant passed up his fast-break opportunities to set up Parker for spectacular slams.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:

Lakers get right to it
Their third-quarter effort is part of an improved effort that sparks a blowout.

By KEVIN DING

LOS ANGELES – The season summation from Coach Phil Jackson before the Lakers played Tuesday night at Staples Center was this: "It takes really a concerted effort to find competency and self-confidence, and that's what we're trying to get across."

The effort - especially in that troublesome third quarter - was there. Next came the competency of a 102-87 rout of the Orlando Magic. And Jackson's hope is that it breeds self-confidence into the future.

The full-court pressure defense that Jackson has always believed would be key for these Lakers came into full bloom in the third quarter behind Smush Parker's three steals, four assists and 10 points. Parker finished with 17 points, seven assists and no turnovers.

"We came out with a little more energy in that third quarter just by reason of thinking about it, really thinking about supporting each other and getting going and playing right," Jackson said.

Parker, who had upset Jackson by missing a dunk and passing to Ronny Turiaf instead of trying to dunk in recent losses, got a lift early when Kobe Bryant passed up his fast-break opportunities to set up Parker for spectacular slams.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:

Lakers start to take advantage

Lakers 102, Magic 87: They beat lowly Orlando with points off turnovers and a big third quarter.

12:42 AM PST on Wednesday, March 1, 2006

By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

LOS ANGELES - The Lakers found a foe that was easy to deflate and unwilling to put up much of a fight until too late.

Of course, the Lakers have seen more than their share of lowly opponents and still found ways to lose.

But the Lakers used a third-quarter scoring outburst to run by the Orlando Magic, 102-87, Tuesday night before 18,997 at Staples Center.

The strong start to the second half was especially sweet after Sunday's meltdown against Boston, and after a season of poor play in the third quarter.

And the Lakers pushed the Magic aside without needing Kobe Bryant to score a ton of points; he had a game-high 28, with 14 coming in the fourth quarter, including a long three-pointer with 14.6 seconds left. He also had eight assists.

"We played a purposeful game," said Bryant, who made 11 of 20 shots. "We weren't out there just running around. We had some substance."

Six Lakers scored in double figures. Smush Parker finished with 17 points and Lamar Odom had eight points and 12 rebounds.

Even inconsistent Kwame Brown gave the Lakers good minutes, scoring 11 points. Rookie Ronny Turiaf followed his good game Sunday night with a career-high 10 points and four rebounds.

Every Laker played except for Luke Walton.

"It was fun tonight," Parker said. "The whole game we played the right way."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:

He drives teams to dream

By KEVIN DING

Kevin Garnett is stuck on a team that is on course to miss the playoffs again, giving rise to hopes around the league that he might be available in a trade.

KNIGHT RIDDER NEWS SERVICES

After getting a break from his exhausting Minnesota reality at the All-Star Game, Kevin Garnett's first game back saw the Timberwolves blow a 19-point lead and lose in Washington.

Garnett moved closer to missing the playoffs for the second consecutive season Friday with a devastating overtime home loss to Denver, dropping Minnesota to 23-31.

Garnett's season shifted from sad to embarrassing at another home game Sunday when he flipped a ball into the stands, hit a fan in the face and got ejected.

As far as countering the politically correct stuff that Garnett offered over the All-Star break about hanging in there with the Timberwolves, those first three games back were an ideal wakeup call for Garnett's ongoing Minnesota hibernation.

Speaking of hot and cold, it's worth noting that Garnett is not oblivious to U.S. weather patterns: He loves to run on the beach in Malibu, where he has a summer home and spends much of his offseason.

And before you can speak the words "Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown and a first-round pick to Minnesota this summer," let's delve into something Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Saturday.

Garnett's name was the first out of Jackson's mouth when he was discussing a superstar player who might be available in trade this summer for the New York Knicks. Obviously, 2003-04 NBA MVP Garnett, who is friendly with Kobe Bryant, also would be ideal for the Lakers to acquire - and become contenders again instantly.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:

Despite Benching, Jackson Has Confidence in Brown
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
March 1, 2006

There was rhyme and reason to the latest Kwame Brown riddle, Laker Coach Phil Jackson revealed Tuesday.

Brown was benched in the second half of Sunday's loss to Boston because he did not do a few things on Jackson's checklist, namely "going after the ball, being energetic, defensively being active, and running the court, and looking for offensive rebounds, and doing those things that make a difference in the energy level of the defense," Jackson said.

Jackson spoke with Brown on Monday, not so much to hammer home the above, but, in Jackson's words, "I just wanted to get back to him and tell him, 'I haven't lost confidence in you.' "

Just the same, Jackson paused six seconds after a reporter asked him before the game whether Brown understood the triangle offense.

"Yeah he does, but I think Kwame's clarity is really the key," Jackson said, eventually. "You've got to be able to be in your surroundings, your environment, and still be capable of reading and comprehending what else is going on around you. I think that's where Kwame's growth pattern is, dropping anxiety, or the energy about trying to do really well, and just kind of getting in the flow of what's going on."

Brown did not start Tuesday against Orlando, but he had 11 points and four rebounds in 20 minutes.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:

Quick shot

Snippet:

Free-agent guard Tony Delk cleared waivers at 6 p.m. Tuesday. The Pistons are in the running to sign Delk, but reportedly the Lakers, Heat, Suns and Nuggets are also in the mix. The deal could come as soon as this morning.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject:

PISTONS CORNER: Delk could be insurance at guard spots

March 1, 2006

DENVER -- Sometime today, the Pistons expectveteran point guard Tony Delk to sign as a free agent, filling the team's vacant roster spot and adding some backcourt insurance.

The Atlanta Hawks waived the 10-year veteran late last week, and Delk cleared waivers at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Denver, the Los Angeles Lakers, Utah and Miami also were rumored to be in the mix to sign Delk by today, when active players must be on a roster to be eligible for the playoffs. But a Pistons source said Delk would choose Detroit.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: