Lakers looking to get help. Penny, Delk, and Brunson are possibilities.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Green looks like he might make a good triangle guard. I would love to see Phil give him more minutes.

When looking for vet leadership, it is better to look at vets who have been through the playoff wars. When I think of those types of players, Penny, Brunson, and Delk don't come to mind. It is all about the future, play Green now.

I concur ventura, he can be a good backup guard that we can rely on. We need players to cutting to the hole, play defense, rebound, gritty.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone catch Stu saying that the coaching staff was really high on Devin Green?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Point a Minute
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Look...the bottom line is, we can dump two players who give us nothing and pick up two that can(Brunson/JJ). 29-28.... I think we've seen what Smush, Sasha, Green, Walton, & BROWN can do.... These two would let us see less of two or more of the previous....

DO IT MITCH!!!!!!!!
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Did anyone catch Stu saying that the coaching staff was really high on Devin Green?

LOL, what are they suppose to say man? we're not high on Devin he sucks??? you have to be positive no matter who you have even if you have Frankie muniz on your team.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

LOL, what are they suppose to say man? we're not high on Devin he sucks??? you have to be positive no matter who you have even if you have Frankie muniz on your team.

No, but they didn't have to gurantee him you know?

I think they actually like Green. Considering they sent Wafer down to the D league and kept him instead on the Active roster - I think that shows they have interest.

Sure, he's a scrub but so was Smush Parker before the Lakers scouted him and picked him up for the SPL team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

No, but they didn't have to gurantee him you know?

I think they actually like Green. Considering they sent Wafer down to the D league and kept him instead on the Active roster - I think that shows they have interest.

Sure, he's a scrub but so was Smush Parker before the Lakers scouted him and picked him up for the SPL team.

like it or not, in the last two games, phil has been experimenting with green as an intiator--that says something. he's not great, he'll never be a superstar, but part of building a team is developing young players. green has solid fundementals--beyond his godawful jumper--calling him a scrub turd is a little strong.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

man i am pissed we were so close to Delk but missed out

having said that, it is pleasing that the Lakers were indeed going after Delk and were that close - he would have been a really really good pick up IMHO

but what can you do when all you firmly have to offer is decent back up minutes on a .500 team when the Pistons come knocking - at this stage of his career he is looking to ride the coat tails of a good team to get a ring and you can't really blame him for that

anyway, as for the others:

Tim Thomas - likely going to Suns to replace injured Kurt Thomas

Penny H - well i just think he is done or that others might get him in the same sort of scenario as Tony Delk (chase a ring)

Bryon Russell - been there doen that and i think he is done

Spree - no more to be said

Rick Brunson - he is a cagey veteran, with experience and is basically just a solid, reliable PG, who palys ok D and will just do what is asked and should be very cheap

i actually think he is exactly what we need, so hope we can pick him up
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
man i am pissed we were so close to Delk but missed out

having said that, it is pleasing that the Lakers were indeed going after Delk and were that close - he would have been a really really good pick up IMHO

but what can you do when all you firmly have to offer is decent back up minutes on a .500 team when the Pistons come knocking - at this stage of his career he is looking to ride the coat tails of a good team to get a ring and you can't really blame him for that

anyway, as for the others:

Tim Thomas - likely going to Suns to replace injured Kurt Thomas

Penny H - well i just think he is done or that others might get him in the same sort of scenario as Tony Delk (chase a ring)

Bryon Russell - been there doen that and i think he is done

Spree - no more to be said

Rick Brunson - he is a cagey veteran, with experience and is basically just a solid, reliable PG, who palys ok D and will just do what is asked and should be very cheap

i actually think he is exactly what we need, so hope we can pick him up

jon barry is a way better fit
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Pick up JJ, and wait for McKie to get healthy(hopefully). I still think McKie is an upgrade over the guards we have out there now. Neither Smush or Sasha has been consistant with their scoring, so we wont be losing anything in that department. On the other hand, the little bit that I did see of McKie I was impressed with him sliding his feet and staying in front of his man(something none of our other guards seem to know how to do).

I also like the physicality of McKie's defense, he doesn't play this soft rookie defense our guards play now. He is a veteran so that helps him with the refs as well, maybe he wont be called for touch fouls late in the game. He would really help us with a playoff push.

Doesn't mean anything if he can't stay healthy though.
magicmanrobb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:

I think adding Jim Jackson to this team will help out the team a bit in terms of veteran play. Not sure if it will result in more wins for the team, but having him on the roster and waiving one of the other "expendables" is better than doing nothing at all. Too bad Detroit got their hands on Delk first.

Speaking of "expendables", that may mean anywhere from 1 to 8 guys on this lineup!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject:

Press Enterprise:

Quote:
Search for Guard Continues

Short-handed in the backcourt, the Lakers had wanted to sign veteran Tony Delk, who was recently waived by the Hawks. But Delk signed with the Pistons on Wednesday.

And because veteran Aaron McKie's rehab of a tear in his left quadriceps continues to drag on, the Lakers continue to look at the wavier wire.

"If we knew Aaron could come back and we could count on him to come back, we wouldn't be as concerned as we are, looking at having to go through the rest of the season and the playoffs with this really young guard group," Jackson said.

The Lakers expected McKie to be their third guard off the bench and provide leadership. But McKie has missed the past 44 games.

Another veteran became available when the Suns waived Jim Jackson on Wednesday. The Lakers also have expressed interest in Penny Hardaway and Rick Brunson, both of whom were recently waived.

"We know that there are players out there that can help us," Jackson said, "and if we have that opportunity, we have to help ourselves."

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: