Former Laker Cedric Ceballos in ICU with Covid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD - my heart goes out to you and your family! 🙏
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Robz wrote:
Why do those who test positive and recover have to get vaccines?

A study out of Israel published at the end of August shows that uninfected, vaccinated people are six to 13 times more likely to get an infection in the future compared to people who are unvaccinated and previously contracted the virus. It also found that vaccinated individuals are seven to 27 times more likely to have a symptomatic future infection than those who recovered from the virus.

Perhaps you have heard about the COVID variants like Delta? Having COVID before and recovering does nothing to stop you from dying of you get the Delta variant. Vaccination is the only way to help prevent you from dying. Those unvaccinated are putting not only their own lives, but everyone else, at risk. I love all the mandates. Make those that refuse the vaccine to be in the minority. Morons.

Why not start mandating healthy diets for obese people? Why not illegalize cigarettes and marijuana? Why not mandate flu vaccines? See where this is going? 2 weeks to flatten the curve.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Robz wrote:

A study out of Israel published at the end of August shows that uninfected, vaccinated people are six to 13 times more likely to get an infection in the future compared to people who are unvaccinated and previously contracted the virus. It also found that vaccinated individuals are seven to 27 times more likely to have a symptomatic future infection than those who recovered from the virus.

Perhaps you have heard about the COVID variants like Delta? Having COVID before and recovering does nothing to stop you from dying of you get the Delta variant. Vaccination is the only way to help prevent you from dying. Those unvaccinated are putting not only their own lives, but everyone else, at risk. I love all the mandates. Make those that refuse the vaccine to be in the minority. Morons.

Why not start mandating healthy diets for obese people? Why not illegalize cigarettes and marijuana? Why not mandate flu vaccines? See where this is going? 2 weeks to flatten the curve.

Maybe because obese people don’t infect other people? Same goes for cigarettes and marijuana users. As far as flu vaccine, older people should take it every year, but flu literally does nothing to younger people, and before you say COVID is the same, IT IS NOT. It is much more severe, and I have never seen flu patients used all the hospital beds.
On the other hand, can your kids go to school without hepatitis shot? Chickenpox?
Why do we have to wear seatbelt? Why can’t we use cell phones while driving?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject:

I’m so sorry to hear Gamecock-MD, I have no more patient for anti-vaxxers, hope you take care of yourself
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Robz wrote:

Answer: Pandemic, pandemic, pandemic, pandemic.

Look, I wish we didn't have to have a mandate. I wish people cared enough for themselves AND OTHERS to take it upon themselves to do the right thing and vaccinated, BUT that's not what's happened. So, here we are. You don't like it...neither do I, but again, here we are. At this point, mandates are the ONLY way to go because too many people are being selfish.

Some of the top minds in science and medicine on the planet have developed something that significantly helps and people make up nonsense or watch some dude in white lab coat on YouTube tell them vaccines are dangerous. They're not!!! They work, as evidenced by the millions of people who taken them with very minimal side effects, especially as compared to the very real complications associated with covid. The data on the subject is enormous. It's just facts.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Robz wrote:

Because of the ignorant in society not taking the virus seriously, now children are in the hospital. Unfortunately, with stupid parents, it’s the children that are now affected because they don’t get a choice.

What President Biden did yesterday should be commended. For those that don’t agree, go ahead, get sick, get your family and friends sick too…then you will realize that the simple act of getting a shot in the arm could save hundreds, if not thousands, of lives.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject:

Gamecock-MD my deepest condolences, I have lived through the pain of losing my dad (pre-Covid) but at least in my case it was my dad's time. I can only imagine how much worse it must be for you to lose him this way.
May you and your family find peace through this difficult time.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
It is true, or at least true in some instances, that the antibodies from getting covid previously prevent a second infection better than the vaccine. However:

1. That first case comes with the risk of death. Remember, several hundred thousand people have died from covid, and the newer variants are killing younger and healthier people, so trying to get it to keep from getting it again is kind of foolish when you read further down the list here.

2. Getting covid the first time, even if you survive, subjects you to long covid risk, and those risks are not even fully known yet.

3. Vaccinated people are not dying or being hospitalized at very large rates even when they get covid, so the vaccine is a pretty near a sure
bet to keep you from dying while getting it unvaccinated is not.

4. Even if you did get covid before, getting vaccinated actually improves bith your defense against getting it over just having had it, and against hospitalization and death.

Bonus, no, ivermectin does not work. They tried it and many other things in India, and they only tried it in some areas, so the claim that it “killed covid in India” is laughable on the face, unless you think giving
some people ivermectin cures other people you didn’t give it to.

So why do they never mention that those who have had Covid dont need the vaccination? While those who had a vaccine that is meant to simulate having Covid are safe?

If ivermectin didn’t work, why does India have lower infection rates than the United States has?

Uh, hello. Please read. Getting the vaccination IMPROVES immunity in those who have had it. And while we are asking questions:

If India allowed the use of ivermectin to treat covid (and we ignore that the drop in cases happened simultaneously to that but before widespread use, and that use wasn’t near universal), how would ivermectin treatment of those already having covid affect the numbers of people contracting it? It’s like saying ventilators used in hospitals on people with covid prevent people outside of the hospital from getting it.

You’re regurgitating a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense that is not only not based on evidence, it is not even internally logically compatible with its own assertions.

Same playbook as always. Attack articles that report findings that don’t fit the playbook.

Claim they are conspiracy theories despite facts posted by experts. Show facts reported by other experts that fits their narrative as the only truth.

Did you even read the articles and Yes I have been to India multiple times.

No no no no. You’re not going to pull that and think it’s going to work here. Let’s try this again. If the doctor gives you a drug if you get sick with something, how does that stop other people from getting sick? See, India isn’t using ivermectin to prevent covid. They did allow it to be used to treat covid. Maybe you should try to get even the basic logic of your claim consistent before you bring it outside the bubble?

Omar has more patience than I do. We're leaving these exchanges up to help educate OTHER people who may wander into this thread.

But here's my warning to posters like Robz:

DON'T POST BULL-(bleep) ANTIVAX PROPAGANDA ON THIS SITE UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET TOSSED. THIS IS A PRIVATE WEBSITE AND WE ARE IN NO WAY OBLIGATED TO GIVE YOU A PLATFORM FOR SPREADING DANGEROUS NONSENSE THAT COULD GET PEOPLE KILLED.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Thank you to everyone who sent condolences.

My sister's husband calls me everyday saying "I can't believe he's really gone". I know he means well but it's annoying. They convinced my father HERBS would protect him and they sat by and watched as he got so sick, he couldn't sit up.

Now, he's searching for an explanation why his Anti-Vaxx message is still the right message. He is saying stuff like "he CHOSE not to get the vaccine".

I still haven't cried. I haven't grieved properly because I'm just so frustrated and angry. Honestly, I'm afraid of what it will look like when it finally hits me.

Thanks for all of the kind words here. They actually do help. I can't talk to my Mom about this because she just lost her husband, someone she's been with for close to 5 decades. My wife will hate my sister if I keep talking to her about it.

But the worst part about all of this?? My Pops DID have a choice. He could have listened to his son and Daughter-in-law, both of whom have medical training/degrees (MD and CRNA) over his home maker daughter and Painter Son-in-Law, neither of whom have ever set foot in a hospital except as patients nor in a medical school.

This didn't have to happen...and it doesn't have to happen to you or your loved ones.

Very sorry to hear.

I'm dealing with this exact same thing trying to get my mother vaccinated and it's beyond frustrating. My biggest fear is exactly what happened to you and how this will probably impact relationships with others after the fact.

My sympathies to you both for having to deal with a horrible situation that didn't have to be. ❤️
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
It is true, or at least true in some instances, that the antibodies from getting covid previously prevent a second infection better than the vaccine. However:

1. That first case comes with the risk of death. Remember, several hundred thousand people have died from covid, and the newer variants are killing younger and healthier people, so trying to get it to keep from getting it again is kind of foolish when you read further down the list here.

2. Getting covid the first time, even if you survive, subjects you to long covid risk, and those risks are not even fully known yet.

3. Vaccinated people are not dying or being hospitalized at very large rates even when they get covid, so the vaccine is a pretty near a sure

4. Even if you did get covid before, getting vaccinated actually improves bith your defense against getting it over just having had it, and against hospitalization and death.

Bonus, no, ivermectin does not work. They tried it and many other things in India, and they only tried it in some areas, so the claim that it “killed covid in India” is laughable on the face, unless you think giving

So why do they never mention that those who have had Covid dont need the vaccination? While those who had a vaccine that is meant to simulate having Covid are safe?

If ivermectin didn’t work, why does India have lower infection rates than the United States has?

Uh, hello. Please read. Getting the vaccination IMPROVES immunity in those who have had it. And while we are asking questions:

If India allowed the use of ivermectin to treat covid (and we ignore that the drop in cases happened simultaneously to that but before widespread use, and that use wasn’t near universal), how would ivermectin treatment of those already having covid affect the numbers of people contracting it? It’s like saying ventilators used in hospitals on people with covid prevent people outside of the hospital from getting it.

You’re regurgitating a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense that is not only not based on evidence, it is not even internally logically compatible with its own assertions.

Same playbook as always. Attack articles that report findings that don’t fit the playbook.

Claim they are conspiracy theories despite facts posted by experts. Show facts reported by other experts that fits their narrative as the only truth.

No no no no. You’re not going to pull that and think it’s going to work here. Let’s try this again. If the doctor gives you a drug if you get sick with something, how does that stop other people from getting sick? See, India isn’t using ivermectin to prevent covid. They did allow it to be used to treat covid. Maybe you should try to get even the basic logic of your claim consistent before you bring it outside the bubble?

Omar has more patience than I do. We're leaving these exchanges up to help educate OTHER people who may wander into this thread.

DON'T POST BULL-(bleep) ANTIVAX PROPAGANDA ON THIS SITE UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET TOSSED. THIS IS A PRIVATE WEBSITE AND WE ARE IN NO WAY OBLIGATED TO GIVE YOU A PLATFORM FOR SPREADING DANGEROUS NONSENSE THAT COULD GET PEOPLE KILLED.

Thank you, Chef Linda. Anti-Vax people are the dumbest of the dumb.
Robz
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Again, did you read any of the articles posted? One is from Bloomberg news and they saw fit to post it.

Did I ever say the at risk should not get vaccinated?

There are a lot of misleading things in news that lead people to question the logic. Why not come out and say a positive test is the same as getting the vaccine? But for some reason they refuse despite the science behind it.

There is a reason Lebron won’t say whether he has be vaccinated as well.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

Robz wrote:

Again, did you read any of the articles posted? One is from Bloomberg news and they saw fit to post it.

There are a lot of misleading things in news that lead people to question the logic. Why not come out and say a positive test is the same as getting the vaccine? But for some reason they refuse despite the science behind it.

The next thing I read from you should be, "Sorry, it won't happen again."
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

We have a long COVID thread in the Off-Topic Forum. We've had extended discussions about this. These efforts to blur the lines between facts and opinion is DANGEROUS. Stop it.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

I normally refrain from commenting on this issue, because these comments come from people posting who don't have a good understanding of this issue, primarily because they are not in a position to do so....not medical researcher in the COVID space, treating clinician, Epi etc.....but after seeing this back and forth a few things:

1) There are a number of israeli studies, many have influenced some of our own policy....but a few things to keep in mind on these studies...when picked up by media publications, they hadn't even gone through peer review process, they were pre-prints....there is also failure to mention that follow on studies on immune protection out of isreal showed that people who recived vaccination after having covid had 10 fold boost in immune response, significantly descreasing viral load (and therefore transmission) and associated health consequences(such as long term covid) vs those only with history of infection
2) The findings within isreal have been tested over here...we are finding some similar things, however acute responsee in vaccination first three to four months shows significantly higher antibodies than those post recovery in the fist few months.....after time we are also so seeing at around 7 to 8 months the "naturally immure" begins to over take the vaccinated, but it begins to taper off as well...which is why the vaccine is being reccommended for both populations as it's providing greater antibody response/protection over a longer period of time
3) There are certainly many more facets to this, but the bottom line whether you had covid or not, vaccines provide better individual and community protection than with out, and if we are ever to get this knocked down to a level of reseaonable contorl those who are able to get the vaccine (no contra-indications) should, otherwise we'll be dealing with the consequences for a longer period of time

Robz wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I normally refrain from commenting on this issue, because these comments come from people posting who don't have a good understanding of this issue, primarily because they are not in a position to do so....not medical researcher in the COVID space, treating clinician, Epi etc.....but after seeing this back and forth a few things:

1) There are a number of israeli studies, many have influenced some of our own policy....but a few things to keep in mind on these studies...when picked up by media publications, they hadn't even gone through peer review process, they were pre-prints....there is also failure to mention that follow on studies on immune protection out of isreal showed that people who recived vaccination after having covid had 10 fold boost in immune response, significantly descreasing viral load (and therefore transmission) and associated health consequences(such as long term covid) vs those only with history of infection
2) The findings within isreal have been tested over here...we are finding some similar things, however acute responsee in vaccination first three to four months shows significantly higher antibodies than those post recovery in the fist few months.....after time we are also so seeing at around 7 to 8 months the "naturally immure" begins to over take the vaccinated, but it begins to taper off as well...which is why the vaccine is being reccommended for both populations as it's providing greater antibody response/protection over a longer period of time
3) There are certainly many more facets to this, but the bottom line whether you had covid or not, vaccines provide better individual and community protection than with out, and if we are ever to get this knocked down to a level of reseaonable contorl those who are able to get the vaccine (no contra-indications) should, otherwise we'll be dealing with the consequences for a longer period of time

Robz wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Robz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I would not take my car to LeBron or a politician if I need it repaired; I would definitely try a mechanic. Same with medicine.

Mayo Clinic, for whatever it's worth;

Key takeaways

In the U.S., the delta (B.1.617.2) variant is now the most common COVID-19 variant. It is nearly twice as contagious as earlier variants and might cause more severe illness.

While research suggests that COVID-19 vaccines are slightly less effective against the variants, the vaccines still appear to provide protection against severe COVID-19. For example:

Early research from the U.K. suggests that, after full vaccination, the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is 88% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 virus caused by the delta variant. The vaccine is 96% effective at preventing severe disease with the COVID-19 virus caused by the delta variant. The research also showed that the vaccine is 93% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 virus caused by the alpha variant.
Early research from Canada suggests that, after one dose, the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine is 72% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 virus caused by the delta variant. One dose of the vaccine is also 96% effective at preventing severe disease with the COVID-19 virus caused by the delta variant.
The Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine is 85% effective at preventing severe disease with the COVID-19 virus caused by the delta variant, according to data released by Johnson & Johnson.

Link
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

So we're not allowed to talk about treatment in this thread, got it. Anyone have an update on Ced?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
So we're not allowed to talk about treatment in this thread, got it. Anyone have an update on Ced?

There is no both sides discussion of quack treatments that serves any purpose except blurring the factual lines and contributing to misinformation. These quack treatments have been brought up in the COVID thread in the OT forum and debunked there. Feel free to go read the thread.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

I hope Cedric is doing well.
Anti-Vaxxers and (some, not all) GOP anti-mask and anti-vaccine supporters, enough is enough.
Time to move on from these idiots and protect those that care.....
4evARaBruinLG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject:

@Gamecock

This is tough. I feel for you. Please take care of you and yours first.

As the pandemic continues, unfortunately many of us personally know people who have lost the battle.

Even more maddening are family and friends, including mine, who still refuse vaccination. All we have been able to do is share that we disagree with them, it is their choice, and that we miss them, and will continue to do so unless they decide to vaxx.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Robz wrote:

Maybe because obese people don’t infect other people? Same goes for cigarettes and marijuana users. As far as flu vaccine, older people should take it every year, but flu literally does nothing to younger people, and before you say COVID is the same, IT IS NOT. It is much more severe, and I have never seen flu patients used all the hospital beds.
On the other hand, can your kids go to school without hepatitis shot? Chickenpox?

2nd hand smoke kills. Obesity raises your healthcare costs. The unvaccinated infect the unvaccinated. If you're vaccinated then what are you worried about? Are you worried the vaccine isn't effective? If you believe it's not effective then why force people to take it? Most of the country is vaccinated already, and many have natural immunity. There's a big difference between being anti-vax and anti-mandate.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

The analogies and theories are just getting more outrageous. People are still talking about the flu and second-hand smoke. Last year my mom said that doctors are inflating the numbers. This year my cousin said that doctors are deliberately letting COVID patients die. Remember when people thought it was a hoax (and many still do frighteningly)? It's been said that the human potential is limitless. We're finding out that it applies to stupidity and ignorance as well.

The unvaccinated only infect the unvaccinated? If you haven't realized by now that there are vaccinated adults and unvaccinated children contributing to full ICUs in the summer then there is simply nothing that can be said to convince you otherwise that this statement is blatantly flawed on both a simple and more complex level. It's like that stubborn relative that you know you won't be able to sway...what's the point?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Robz wrote:

2nd hand smoke kills. Obesity raises your healthcare costs. The unvaccinated infect the unvaccinated. If you're vaccinated then what are you worried about? Are you worried the vaccine isn't effective? If you believe it's not effective then why force people to take it? Most of the country is vaccinated already, and many have natural immunity. There's a big difference between being anti-vax and anti-mandate.

2nd hand smoke and obesity are not pandemic, and unvaccinated being infected has a high chance of ending up with a severe case which takes up hospital capacity and people that needed to get treated for other diseases would be rationalized. i do agree what being anti vaxx and anti mandate are two different things with the former being the cancer of this society. there are other ways of doing this instead of mandates. for example, requiring negative tests every week but make the tester pay for the test. raising healthcare costs of unvaccinated. as far as the 12-16 goes, there were a ton of vaccine mandates in high school, like 8-12 of them. if you don't get it, you can't go to school, so i don't see adding covid vaccine is an issue.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Man, we never have a disease wiped out almost 3/4 millions American in a year and a half before because it’s so contagious and deadly, Jesus Christ, just stop, yes we should strive to live a better habits and promote it but this covid is not the same as flu/obesity/2nd hand smoke, not even close
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

What people also don't realize is that these numbers are despite lockdowns, restrictions, mask mandates, and social distancing measures in place. If anybody looked at the original case/mortality curves before and comprehended the concept of exponential increase they'd understand how much worse it could have been. And yet here we are still talking about the flu, secondhand smoke, and obesity...
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Flu deaths are fairly wide-ranging annually, 25k to 60k. COVID took out 500K in this country in less than a year - 9-10 months. Meanwhile in 2020 into 2021, flu deaths PLUMMETED. What does that tell us?? Well for one, clearly the flu isn't anywhere near as contagious or deadly as COVID. How do we know this? Because with masking and social distancing, flu infections and deaths fell through the floor. With masking and social distancing, we can only hope to SLOW DOWN COVID. That's why we need the vaccine. There was never going to be a way out of this pandemic without a vaccine.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: