Kwame Brown's best hope
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Kwame Brown's best hope

Ronny Turiaf.

Mike Bresnahan wrote:

...And Turiaf said to expect more out of Brown.

"I am trying to push him during practice and before the games," the rookie said. "We have our whole new routine going now. Kwame has a little confidence coming back up, so I think it is going to be scary to guard him because when he has confidence, he is pretty unstoppable."

Not only will Turiaf eat Kwame's minutes away if he continues to suck, but he will also push him positively. Granted, they were only the Orlando Magic, but at least Kwame didn't pull a disappearing act after getting ripped by Darko of all people early in the game...

Getting Turiaf back may have been our best move all season. Question is, is it too late...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kwame Brown's best hope

pokoy wrote:
Ronny Turiaf.

Mike Bresnahan wrote:

...And Turiaf said to expect more out of Brown.

"I am trying to push him during practice and before the games," the rookie said. "We have our whole new routine going now. Kwame has a little confidence coming back up, so I think it is going to be scary to guard him because when he has confidence, he is pretty unstoppable."

Not only will Turiaf eat Kwame's minutes away if he continues to suck, but he will also push him positively. Granted, they were only the Orlando Magic, but at least Kwame didn't pull a disappearing act after getting ripped by Darko of all people early in the game...

Getting Turiaf back may have been our best move all season. Question is, is it too late...?

Every team NEEDS one or tw Turiaf type "positive heart" players. This is why I've always been so high on Will Conroy. A guy like Kobe wants to win at all costs, but those personality types seldom are infectious. Guys like Turiaf and Conroy are infectious because they aren't just satisfied with their own success, but in order for them to be truly happy they need those around them to be happy as well. I can guarantee you that Ronnie wants to win games, but if you were to ask him which of the two was ost important to him: winning a game or his teammate being in a good space; I guarantee he'd choose the latter. Good news is, the latter produces more wins over the long haul and that's the real value of having these type of players on your team. You can't teach that type of genuiness and it's precisely what humans respond to. Most people will go much farther out of their way to both impress and listen to someone they feel genuinely cares about their happiness and success. Ronnie is a rare young cat that actually get's this. I think he's right. Kwame will respond to him because he actually cares about more than just a W.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:

Etan Thomas was a good friend of Kwame's in Washington. Same type of player as Ronny although maybe not as enthusiastic. He also ended up taking Kwame's minutes.

Whatever Mr. Brown is lacking in the head or in the heart, he's going to have to find it within himself.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Etan Thomas was a good friend of Kwame's in Washington. Same type of player as Ronny although maybe not as enthusiastic. He also ended up taking Kwame's minutes.

Whatever Mr. Brown is lacking in the head or in the heart, he's going to have to find it within himself.

You are right, though. Etan Thomas was not as enthusiastic.

There is something to be said about overly-enthusiastic teammates that can pump you up when times are at their lowest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

I've been hoping, beyond hope, that Ronny's enthusiasm would rub off on Kwame.

Last night I saw them supporting each other, on and off the court.

And now that quote from Ronny is music to my ears!

To hear that the rookie is actually trying to motivate Kwame, understands that someone needs to do it, is beyond wonderful.

Whether or not he is successful, of course, is still really up to Kwame.

I have no doubt Ronny will be successful on his own, and have a long career as a Laker.

I'm with COCO!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

Turiaf+Kwame+Cook at PF is looking better than I ever could have imagined.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
I have no doubt Ronny will be successful on his own, and have a long career as a Laker.

I hope so.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

Kwame should just forget about skill and do his stuff outta hustle and power.
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

Maybe he's not a post player people want him to be. Maybe he's a Horace Grant a elbow shooter. I think if he can develope that he would be okay. Rebounding, since he doesnt have any instints getting the ball he should consentrate on boxing out. I rather have Mihm on the low post anyways just because his moves are better, just need to finsih them.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Kwame should just forget about skill and do his stuff outta hustle and power.

Yeah, but I think that Kwame has less hustle in him than skill - which is already minimal.

Was that Darko swatting him a couple of times in the post?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Anyone in the league at 5 or 4 can swat Kwame in the post.

Instead of keeping the ball high, he bends his knees real low, tries to bump the defender and then bring the ball up.

While he's bring the ball up he shows all of it to his defender who then just has fun swatting the ball.

I have seen him do that almost every game and almost every game he is rejected for doing so.

I re,member Chris doing a lot of that last season. He should be doing what Mihm has now learnt. Keep the ball high and do not show it to your man. It's a very basic bigman thing that Kwame has not learnt.

He really could use the training from KAJ.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject:

Is he not being trained by KAJ or something?
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:

Diffrent type of post player, KAJ is a finesse post player, Kwame is not built for finesse but rather power.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Anyone in the league at 5 or 4 can swat Kwame in the post.

Instead of keeping the ball high, he bends his knees real low, tries to bump the defender and then bring the ball up.

While he's bring the ball up he shows all of it to his defender who then just has fun swatting the ball.

I have seen him do that almost every game and almost every game he is rejected for doing so.

I re,member Chris doing a lot of that last season. He should be doing what Mihm has now learnt. Keep the ball high and do not show it to your man. It's a very basic bigman thing that Kwame has not learnt.

He really could use the training from KAJ.

I sincerely doubt that this is an issue that Kareem can address.

I say that because I believe that Kwame's problem is one of effort. He simply doesn't want to jump. How many times have you seen him play pretty good post defense only to allow the offensive player to jump over him and score while he's cemented to the ground?

I doubt that "foul avoidance" is the issue because Kwame plays physical up to that point without the whistle blowing. He just doesn't want to take that last step of jumping. You can see the same scenario play out on offense when he works just hard enough to get good position near the basket only to try to lay the ball up instead of going up strong.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

True, who would have guessed at the beginning of the season.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Diffrent type of post player, KAJ is a finesse post player, Kwame is not built for finesse but rather power.

Problem is that I don't think Kwame is comfortable in his own body. He has not really learned what it can do, what he can do with it, and how to control it. This level of insecurity shows up in his game, which is evident.

Then he goes and does that monster alley-oop a couple games back and refutes my comment.

Maybe he just thinks too much when he has the basketball, or maybe not enough. Seriously, I am at a loss right now. But I am still willing to be patient with Kwame and see what he can do if and when he gets it all together.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Snaq could help him
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

And those three after another Big man camp for Cook & Bynum, and a first big man camp for Turiaf & Kwame should net a pretty special young frontline. It's great to see Turiaf take Kwame under his wing. I think it's just what the doctor ordered... Two guys the same age and the same size = promising future together
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that this is an issue that Kareem can address.

I say that because I believe that Kwame's problem is one of effort. He simply doesn't want to jump. How many times have you seen him play pretty good post defense only to allow the offensive player to jump over him and score while he's cemented to the ground?

I doubt that "foul avoidance" is the issue because Kwame plays physical up to that point without the whistle blowing. He just doesn't want to take that last step of jumping. You can see the same scenario play out on offense when he works just hard enough to get good position near the basket only to try to lay the ball up instead of going up strong

Well there's no rule that says you can't have finesse and power. I mean it's easier to play with a power game if you actually have it, but it seems that Kwame doesn't have that mentality.

However the move I'm talking about is the same one that he has been rejected on all season. He gets down real low (That's the first mistake right there, you should be keeping the ball up high in the post) then bumps his man (Ussually one bump won't send the guy crashing back anyway) and follows that up with an attempt. While he's bringing the ball back up, he shows it completely and that often leads to rejections.

Remove that move and you will see Kwame's FG% rise. Getting rejected also will hurt his confidence. So IMO he should just shelve the moves that are leading him to getting swatted. He is just soooo raw it's not even funny. I actually feel bad for him at times, and I would like the Lakers to not put him in that sort of situation and make him more of an off the ball scorer (Pick and Rolls, Alleys, Offensive rebounding and putbacks etc)

If I'm Phil, I tell Kwame to start focusing on crashing the offensive glass and try to take part in more of the two man games with Lamar or Kobe. No more post ups or iso's for Kwame .....

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

kwame.. he cant be helped. Turiaf Should take his minutes.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

turbulent wrote:
kwame.. he cant be helped. Turiaf Should take his minutes.

Well it's good to see that both Turiaf and the coaching staff do believe that Kwame can be helped and don't subscribe to your misguided notion. The dumbest thing they could do is give up on Kwame. Turiaf befriending Kwame and pushing Kwame to succeed with him is definitely a better strategy than "Kwame sucks sit him on the bench". If we listen to many on here, Kwame, Lamar, Smush, Luke,Cook, Mihm, & Sasha should never see court time. That would leave a powerful lineup of Kobe and Ronnie to play 2 on five. What a bunch of wiving Glorias we have on here...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The dumbest thing they could do is give up on Kwame

Especially considering they traded a good NBA player for him and they are paying him the third highest on the team.

He is a 2 year project. Can't give up on him completely until deadline next season.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

Turiaf is a miracle

Just what he has come back from is amazing, now to jump in mid-season and actually contribute?

Unbelievable. Props to him.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

Kwame and Ronny play well together

Mihm and Cook play even better together....

The Laker's are look like a team now
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

Has Kwame ever attened Pete Newell's Big Man Camp? Can he be sent there to learn some basics and fundamentals? Does Phil Jackson and his staff have what it takes to teach fundamentals, or are they best suited for advanced players, veterans who have been at this for a while?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: