Did Kobe keep Odom off?(by Michael Deuser)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Did Kobe keep Odom off?(by Michael Deuser)

Quote:
Leaving Iverson off the national team was wise
March 1, 2006
by Michael Deuser

The U.S. National Basketball team will be announced officially on Sunday, but by now you've probably heard: Allen Iverson and Lamar Odom didn't make the squad.

Although AI's supporters will jump to his defense vigorously, it was a good move by Jerry Colangelo to leave him off the team. There's only one thing worse than a 6-foot "point guard" who dominates the ball, shoots around 40 percent and takes 30 percent of his team's shots, and it's a 33-year-old who does all of these things. That's how old Iverson will be by the time the summer of 2008 rolls around.

It's the decision to leave Odom off of the team that confuses me. Not so much because I think Odom is a must-have in international competition, but because of some of the guys reportedly selected in front of him. Bruce Bowen? Shane Battier? Antawn Jamison? I know that numbers don't tell the whole story, and Bowen and Battier are great defenders and great "team guys," but Odom has gotten consistently high marks for his attitude and basketball IQ. His game is more complete than Jamison's. Plus, he would be a great frontcourt passer, and good frontcourt passing is at a premium in international play. Kind of makes you wonder: Did Kobe ask Colangelo to leave Odom off the team, knowing that their partnership on the Lakers hasn't worked out?
Another thing that jumps out while looking at this prospective roster is the lack of a dominant center. Shaq, who will be 36 in 2008 and could weigh in at nearly 400 near-middle-age pounds by then, has said he does not want to play. Ditto Tim Duncan and Ben Wallace. Marcus Camby wasn't invited, and would probably develop a career-threatening hangnail between now and then even if he had been. And Zydrunas Ilgauskas is, well, Lithuanian.

Which leaves Brad Miller manning the pivot. I am huge fan of the barb-wire-tattooed big man from Fort Wayne, Indiana, and his smooth passing game belies his meat-and-potatoes look. But unlike the Diesel, he's not the kind of guy who strikes fear in the hearts of opposing teams, and his career year, in which he scored 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds per game, doesn't exactly scream "superstar". The national squad will be jam-packed with talented fours -- among those reportedly on the 25-man roster are Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Elton Brand and Amare Stoudemire -- but it would be a shame to see all of them go to waste without a true five. Let's hope that one of these guys steps up and develops Shaq-esque low-post skills while playing out of position.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=67439
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

Deuser is a Deuchbag
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

Michael Doucher is a freaking (bleep)

Odom and consistent in the same sentence .... worse than oxymoron

This guy only wanted controversy so people would read his POS article

If you do click the link.. let it only be to write a letter to the editor and tell him how tired you are of worthless reporters using Kobe to get clicks on their crappy articles.
Endure 12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Does he realise how stupid that sounds?
pokoy

What a @#$%&% @#&%$% #$*#$ piece of @#&% writer!!!!!

This is how rumors get started. This guy was just wondering that because he's a #$^@#ing hater. Idiot!!

What's this moron's e-mail address?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

high basketball iq? that's almost worse than him assuming that kobe told colangelo to leave odom off the team.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Did Kobe keep Odom off?(by Michael Deuser)

nesli wrote:
Quote:
Leaving Iverson off the national team was wise
March 1, 2006
by Michael Deuser

The U.S. National Basketball team will be announced officially on Sunday, but by now you've probably heard: Allen Iverson and Lamar Odom didn't make the squad.

Although AI's supporters will jump to his defense vigorously, it was a good move by Jerry Colangelo to leave him off the team. There's only one thing worse than a 6-foot "point guard" who dominates the ball, shoots around 40 percent and takes 30 percent of his team's shots, and it's a 33-year-old who does all of these things. That's how old Iverson will be by the time the summer of 2008 rolls around.

It's the decision to leave Odom off of the team that confuses me. Not so much because I think Odom is a must-have in international competition, but because of some of the guys reportedly selected in front of him. Bruce Bowen? Shane Battier? Antawn Jamison? I know that numbers don't tell the whole story, and Bowen and Battier are great defenders and great "team guys," but Odom has gotten consistently high marks for his attitude and basketball IQ. His game is more complete than Jamison's. Plus, he would be a great frontcourt passer, and good frontcourt passing is at a premium in international play. Kind of makes you wonder: Did Kobe ask Colangelo to leave Odom off the team, knowing that their partnership on the Lakers hasn't worked out?
Another thing that jumps out while looking at this prospective roster is the lack of a dominant center. Shaq, who will be 36 in 2008 and could weigh in at nearly 400 near-middle-age pounds by then, has said he does not want to play. Ditto Tim Duncan and Ben Wallace. Marcus Camby wasn't invited, and would probably develop a career-threatening hangnail between now and then even if he had been. And Zydrunas Ilgauskas is, well, Lithuanian.

Which leaves Brad Miller manning the pivot. I am huge fan of the barb-wire-tattooed big man from Fort Wayne, Indiana, and his smooth passing game belies his meat-and-potatoes look. But unlike the Diesel, he's not the kind of guy who strikes fear in the hearts of opposing teams, and his career year, in which he scored 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds per game, doesn't exactly scream "superstar". The national squad will be jam-packed with talented fours -- among those reportedly on the 25-man roster are Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Elton Brand and Amare Stoudemire -- but it would be a shame to see all of them go to waste without a true five. Let's hope that one of these guys steps up and develops Shaq-esque low-post skills while playing out of position.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=67439

Actually, it doesn't make me wonder... it never crossed my mind.

Just another guy trying to throw KB8 under the bus...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

I'm sure Kobe probably asked Colangelo to keep AI off the team also. Cuz we all know a guy with Colangelo's rep follows Kobe's orders. This dude is just moronic.

Go through his archives on Sportingnews.com, this guy rarely writes anything worth reading. Better yet, go to this article and add your comments to it ripping him.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

High basketball iq?????????????????? Are you freaking kidding me?
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

you know, because, Kobe is the GM of USA Basketball.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
What a @#$%&% @#&%$% #$*#$ piece of @#&% writer!!!!!

This is how rumors get started. This guy was just wondering that because he's a #$^@#ing hater. Idiot!!

What's this moron's e-mail address?

mailto:mkdwrites@gmail.com

http://www.blogger.com/profile/4850059
http://dropthedime.blogspot.com/
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

THAT'S COMPLETE CRAP. I'M SO SICK OF THESE HACKS THROWING CRAP AGINST THE WALL TO SEE WHAT STICKS.
The season isn't even over and he's saying it "hasn't worked out." What if the Lakers make the playoffs with an 8th seed? Does that still mean it didn't work out.

Complete crap.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
High basketball iq?????????????????? Are you freaking kidding me?

High IQ is a term that a lot of casual basketball fans confuse for a player who prefers to pass first. This man does not watch the games. Another writer, another hater.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

Dang!!! Kobe is a PIMP!!! Kobe is Bishop Don 'Magic' Juan. He used to just run the Lakers, telling Doc what to do. He's now graduated to the big time.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Kobe is now the H-N-I-C of USA Basketball.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject:

Lets look at history:
Lo on last Olympic team supposedly had a stellar campaign- No Gold
LO on Clips supposedly an all-star=Garbage campaign
LO on heat supposedly main cog( we all know you became what during that run) team barely 500.
LO came to the lakers as a NEEDED helping hand. A guy who HAS TO PLAY well in order for us to do anything. He has become the worst exchange of talent in NBA history. 1 year below 500, current year 500

Who the hell wants that Karma, track record, overatedness on their team.
Jamison is far superior player. better in the post, better defender, better O, can pass better out of the post and a good rebounder
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

I really wish Kobe would go on the offensive against just one of these hacks. Fortson went after Colangelo for calling him "a thug". I think he managed to shut him the F off with a lawsuit.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems there are grounds for slander here. He basically said that one employee (Kobe) went to management (US Basketball) and tried to convinced them to keep another employee (Odom) from making more money (any endorsements, etc. associated to being an Olympian).
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

Didn't you know? Kobe gets to pick who is on the Olympic team. He also chose the skaters for women's figure skating in Torino. He was the one who selected Sam Alito for the Supreme Court (Eff you, Kobe!). He also recommended the new bishop of Boston.

He has all this power, yet he still has a .500 team in LA.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

I think Kobe owns Diebold and decided he wanted george bush to be president
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

Oh, and what bullcrap is this to say about Kobe when Kobe comes out in all the newspapers and attributes his success directly to Odom, thanking him for what he does on the court to make Kobe's job that much easier.

Yet here he goes with wholly unsubstantiated bullcrap like this just because he is a hack, no-talent writer. Yes, the easiest answer is always the one you make up in your head without doing any sort of fact-checking whatsoever. I really need to do more writing myself if it is this easy.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

You know, it isn't necessary to bash Odom for being complimented. Some of you seriously need to grow up, because that's just as stupid as that idiot writer blaming Kobe for Colango NOT choosing Odom.

Odom should absolutely have been invited. He was the best and most consistent player on team USA, who maintained the best attitude, literally played all 5 positions with competence, and was one of the lone bright spots on that team. While that wasn't good enough to win gold (Odom should never be the BEST player on the team U.S.A.), it was deserving of an invite. Lamar Odom honored the U.S. with his play and behavior.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

:roll:
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

I don't think Kobe would do such a thing but it's funny how Kobe only fans feel they need to bash Odom to get their point across.

After the way LO played in the last Olympics it is a shame that they didn't invite him.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

Great, some idiot writer makes up something, than some idiot reporter asks Odom at an interview after a good game and his fragile sense of self-worth falls apart, wonderful...

He did play well for the Olympic team. That was just before he joined the Lakers and made me excited to have him, he was well used and effective in the post for what little of those games I did see.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

I don't mean to laugh, but the love affair some have with Lamar Odom is downright baffling.

Clearly, being there last time isn't a criteria for who gets to go this time. Hell, they turned away Allen Iverson.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I don't think Kobe would do such a thing but it's funny how Kobe only fans feel they need to bash Odom to get their point across.

After the way LO played in the last Olympics it is a shame that they didn't invite him.

if LO had a good enough shot he would have been invited. since the last olympics, players like wade have actually improved their mid-range game, if odom would have, he would be on this team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: