Real Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Real Lakers

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

He said, I love my lakers but nobody on this team I see as real lakers… then proceeded with examples such as Kobe, magic, Shaq, Horry, Fisher…

That's an interesting perception.

Shaq took a team to the finals before he became a Laker, and he won a ring after he left the Lakers.

Horry won rings with teams before and after he was a Laker too.

Both of them were as much mercenary as anyone on the current squad. Both left here under angry circumstances.

Yet they are "real Lakers."

Yes, because we built a personal and emotional connection with them.

Fair enough. When fans on the Internet start talking about "real" anything, it's best to stay clear. Tends to become emotional, eye of the beholder stuff.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Real Lakers

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

He said, I love my lakers but nobody on this team I see as real lakers… then proceeded with examples such as Kobe, magic, Shaq, Horry, Fisher…

Shaq took a team to the finals before he became a Laker, and he won a ring after he left the Lakers.

Both of them were as much mercenary as anyone on the current squad. Both left here under angry circumstances.

Fair enough. When fans on the Internet start talking about "real" anything, it's best to stay clear. Tends to become emotional, eye of the beholder stuff.

That's true. I wouldn't frame it as "real Lakers," but I see his point in the description. To be honest, this team is starting to rub me the right way. They seem to be figuring it out. Granted, they haven't played a top team, still have lapses defensively, and still have injuries. If they win a championship this year, we are looking at these players differently and even Rob. Can't criticize a person that have won 2 championships as a gm, in the last 3 years of acquiring AD. Hopefully if so, Rob doesn't turn a bulk of the team around.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Real Lakers

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

"Real" is too subjective to mean anything to me.
The term I like is "Laker for life", and by that definition, only Magic and Kobe qualify.
Both were drafted by the Lakers and developed on the team, and neither left or got traded.
I think players who get traded from the team by the front office would be the only players I might also consider, and for that reason, I blame the front office more than the players themselves for the fact that we now have a team of players who aren't "real" to most fans.
I still regret that 2 players who really enjoyed being here (Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol) were shipped off in a failed attempt to get Chris Paul.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

Meh.

"Real Lakers" are anyone who puts the jersey on and plays their butts off for the team. And that absolutely includes LeBron and AD since they won a frigging title for the franchise in the same year that Kobe tragically passed.

I feel like the common denominator in threads like this and the other "What if we kept our young core...?" is general dislike for LeBron.

What did LeBron ever do to you guys to make you hate him so much?

Be one of the top 5 players of all-time and agree to come play for us when we were real crappy with no other established star and a bunch of young guys who never accomplished anything?

Some of y'all don't appreciate how good we have it.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
Meh.

"Real Lakers" are anyone who puts the jersey on and plays their butts off for the team. And that absolutely includes LeBron and AD since they won a frigging title for the franchise in the same year that Kobe tragically passed.

I feel like the common denominator in threads like this and the other "What if we kept our young core...?" is general dislike for LeBron.

What did LeBron ever do to you guys to make you hate him so much?

Be one of the top 5 players of all-time and agree to come play for us when we were real crappy with no other established star and a bunch of young guys who never accomplished anything?

Some of y'all don't appreciate how good we have it.

This is why most fan bases absolutely despise Laker fans .. I'd be pretty disgusted as a fan of just about any other team when seeing something like this too if i'm being honest. I get the concept of what's being said but this is the Lakers, they will happily move anyone and everyone to get the actual top players in Purple & Gold. There's also a very likely chance AD will end up playing 7-10+ years here and Bron could end up not being far behind that either depending how the next 2 seasons unravel. If they get 1-2 more Championships they'll be right up there with Laker royalty imo.

Like you said though, the Bubble year made AD and Bron Lakers for life in my eyes officially. Seeing Bron man up and lead this team after Kobe passing away was monumental to me. Then the little things like AD screaming Kobe when he hit the game winner, that's an all time memory for me that is now next to many others before it and hopefully to come.

We've been TOP Contenders 3 years in a row now and look to be at worst for next season as well. The 80's and even 90's teams of holding onto entire great rosters for expended periods of time is just nearly impossible without paying absolute insane amounts of tax money which even the richest of owners want no part of plus players have drastically more control over there situations then ever before. It's a new time, you can readjust and enjoy it or reminisce about the "good ol' days" and complain how much better your memories of the past are.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Lakers

JIFISH wrote:

The term I like is "Laker for life", and by that definition, only Magic and Kobe qualify.
Both were drafted by the Lakers and developed on the team, and neither left or got traded.

There have been other guys who played their entire career here -- Michael Cooper, James Worthy, Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, and of course guys going back to Minneapolis days like Vern Mikkelsen.

I don't consider the "Laker for life" thing significant myself. A lot of it has to do with chance, and alignment of the player's self-interest and the team's self-interest. And the reality is it's highly unlikely that a player's and team's self-interests will remain aligned for the player's entire career.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
I get the concept of what's being said but this is the Lakers, they will happily move anyone and everyone to get the actual top players in Purple & Gold.

And, like every team, the Lakers will trade players (even superstars) or let them go if that benefits the team, no matter what contribution they have made to the franchise.

Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, Norm Nixon, Jamaal Wilkes, Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, AC Green, Derek Fisher, Gail Goodrich, Robert Horry are among the line list of guys we traded or let go.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:

"Real Lakers" are anyone who puts the jersey on and plays their butts off for the team.

This is exactly how I see it.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject:

As a Laker fan that goes back to when they moved to Los Angeles and remembers West as a rookie and a die-hard fan who has lived through such super-star players as Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Magic, Shaq, Kareem, Kobe -- not to mention other "real" Lakers stars in their own right like Happy Hairston, Rudy LaRusso, James Worthy, Gail Goodrich, Michael Cooper, Jamal Wilkes, Norm Nixon and so many many others....

... probably some on this board aren't even that familiar with players like Hairston, LaRusso perhaps - but if you look them up you'll find that they were really great prime-time contributors to the Lakers teams through the years.

It's never been the same since Kobe in my view... I loved all these players and there were so many others I can think of that I also felt were "loyal" and "upstanding" Laker team players like for example Gasol, Fisher, AC Green, Rambis, Divac, Horry, Fox, Van Excel, Ceballos, Jim McMillian....

... and then going back further to those early West, Baylor years there were also great players like Frank Selvy. Hot Rod Hundley, Jim Krebs and more that most of you folks would probably have to look up (like perhaps a few others mentioned previously) as well that were big time contributors to the early Lakers years in Los Angeles....

... Yep, sadly I personally feel like it has just not the same and has not be for some time now.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Players like West, Baylor, Magic, Kobe, Coooop, Worthy, Jim Krebs (who died from a falling tree accident at 29 that shortened his career), Hot Rod Hundley as well as pre-Los Angeles players like Mikkelsen were all players that remained Lakers for their entire careers as I recall - I have to say, it was disappointing how Rudy LaRusso ended up getting treated by the Lakers at the end of his career (who would have been a Laker for life if not traded) - he deserved better.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

We won all of our titles with at least one major homegrown talent until last year.

The five Minneapolis titles were due to Mikan. The 72 title was because of West, and Goodrich and Erickson were part of the legendary Bruins teams.

Showtime's five titles had Magic, Worthy, and Kareem came from UCLA also. A bunch of supporting players were mostly homegrown.
Byron was from SoCal and played most of his career here... Wilkes was UCLA and Lakers... Rambis started here... AC did

Kobe won five titles and Shaq was with us for a long time.

LBJ's frankenteam was the only one that didn't have a major homegrown star.

So those of us who have watched the Lakers for fifty plus years have always had at least one homegrown star to root for.

I don't get why people act like this is normal for Lakers fans... it isn't.

I'm still rooting for this team but it doesn't feel the same as when we grew our own talent.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject:

I am more attached to the team then individual players. Never just rooted for a player just because he was homegrown. Appreciated every player as long as they showed loyalty to the Lakers during their tenure here. Talent level does not matter or the length of their tenure.

for me it is easier to say who isn't a Real Laker and this basically comes down to those who are more into themselves and their individual accomplishments and money. There have only been a few such as last years PG.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Triumph wrote:

"Real Lakers" are anyone who puts the jersey on and plays their butts off for the team.

This is exactly how I see it.

The Celtics, Spurs, pretty much successful team has this definition, but what sets the lakers apart is the showtime glam of LA - Magic and co epitomized this better than anyone.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I see it the exact opposite actually. You draft a player, he has no choice but to play for your team. Who knows whether he really wants to be there. But these guys all chose to come to the Lakers. They wanted to be here, wanted to play for this team. I appreciate that greatly.

This. To me this makes it OK. Of course, it would be better to have homegrown stars, because we see them grow on and off the court and we can identify with them and even see some qualities of ourselves (good and bad) in them. Having homegrown talent is more like a movie in which you identify with and relate to the protagonist.

But for me it's all about world championships, and besides, LeBron, AD and Russ wanted to be here. The free agents we signed wanted to be here. Look at what Austin Reaves did to manipulate his way to the Lakers.

That, along with the sacrifices they're willing to make that others mentioned in this thread, makes them enough of "real Lakers" to me.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject:

For a lot, it seems to be missing a different era of NBA, which is fine.

I think what needs to be considered, is the changing Landscape of the NBA. Their is a significant amount of player movement via trades, free agency, throwing around 2nds as nothing more than trade fodder.

It's not just a Lakers issue, it's league-wide. Their is not the same loyalty between the team itself and the players, It becomes exceedingly difficult to root for players on a team. The days of being a 1 team player decreases by the year.

Just a different take on it.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Real Lakers

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
My dad brought this up to me tonight and i resonated with it and was wondering if you guys feel the same.

I do think our current team can win the title but I still don’t get the same feel with any of these players that they are actual lakers.

Is this a product of todays game or more so something else?

On the current roster, there maybe is only 2 players that give me that laker feel… melo and Dwight.

With the revolving door of new players coming and leaving all the time, it does feels like "rent a ring" or cheering for a uniform. It's hard to connect with players who were on opposing teams last season and may be on opposing teams next season.

I think when you trade fan favorites like Caruso and hire relatively unknown guys like Nunn, the fanbase feels increasingly disconnected. It's like if your favorite TV show suddenly swapped the cast.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

Boldarblood wrote:
It's not just a Lakers issue, it's league-wide. Their is not the same loyalty between the team itself and the players, It becomes exceedingly difficult to root for players on a team .

I don't think players and teams are any less "loyal" to each other today. The relationship has always been based on mutual self-interest.

As Laker fans, we tend to think of "loyalty" as Kobe and Magic staying here their entire careers. But that's been the exception even for us. Lots of players who won rings with us moved on for better circumstances, or were traded or let go by us -- Wilt, Jamaal Wilkes, Norm Nixon, Robert Horry, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Derek Fisher, just to name a few.

The difference today is that players have more mobility. Players circumvent GMS and decide to play together. Players don't feel the need to pretend that they care what jersey they are wearing.

"Loyalty," in the way fans talk about it, has never existed in the NBA. It's a business relationship.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

I don't know if it's Lakers specific though. It's a different league these days. Shorter contracts. Owners willing to buy players out. The teams which are lucky enough to have superstars often are paying most of their money to them and then filling out the roster with a lot of minimum salaries. And when going back to the older teams it could never be the same due to salary caps, luxury tax, and free agency.

If you look at most of the contenders they are largely comprised of minimum salaries and guys on rookie contracts.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
We won all of our titles with at least one major homegrown talent until last year.

The five Minneapolis titles were due to Mikan. The 72 title was because of West, and Goodrich and Erickson were part of the legendary Bruins teams.

Showtime's five titles had Magic, Worthy, and Kareem came from UCLA also. A bunch of supporting players were mostly homegrown.
Byron was from SoCal and played most of his career here... Wilkes was UCLA and Lakers... Rambis started here... AC did

So those of us who have watched the Lakers for fifty plus years have always had at least one homegrown star to root for.

I'm still rooting for this team but it doesn't feel the same as when we grew our own talent.

Since the Showtime era, we had two GOAT-level players who joined the team as rookies, Magic and Kobe, and stayed here a combined 33 years. Those two guys participated in 11 rings.

And when people talk about winning with "homegrown talent," it's primarily Magic and Kobe they're talking about.

The threepeat and two-ring teams didn't really had a lot of significant "homegrown talent" outside of Kobe. No one is pining about Luke Walton and Devean George.

So, yeah we're spoiled. However, if you consider the "normal" situation to be drafting a GOAT-level player like Magic or Kobe who sticks around for 13-plus years, you're likely to disappointed.

It happened for us twice, and it may never happen again. So I just accept that the "normal" you're talking about hasn't existed for almost a decade.

Granted, we're in an extreme situation now, because Lebron is the ultimate NBA mercenary. The team he's playing on is close to irrelevant. But that's the modern NBA. Superstars win with one team and then move on to another.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Since the Showtime era, we had two GOAT-level players who joined the team as rookies, Magic and Kobe, and stayed here a combined 33 years. Those two guys participated in 11 rings.

And when people talk about winning with "homegrown talent," it's primarily Magic and Kobe they're talking about.

The threepeat and two-ring teams didn't really had a lot of significant "homegrown talent" outside of Kobe. No one is pining about Luke Walton and Devean George.

So, yeah we're spoiled. However, if you consider the "normal" situation to be drafting a GOAT-level player like Magic or Kobe who sticks around for 13-plus years, you're likely to disappointed.

It happened for us twice, and it may never happen again. So I just accept that the "normal" you're talking about hasn't existed for almost a decade.

They were still GOAT level players surrounded by great talent.

We had LBJ an open spot and a roster full of young assets and picks.

Instead of using that spot and young assets to our maximum advantage, we traded most of them for AD and cap space we didn't use for Kawhi and now have used it on Westbrook.

All I said is that I prefer the homegrown approach and some of you act like this philosophy won't work when Giannis and Khris just won a title...Toronto won with Siakam and Van Vleet...Golden State won with homegrown talent... Spurs won with homegrown talent

I've never said the kids could win by themselves... I said they could win with LBJ and an open max spot.

Just like Siakam and FVV could win when they added Kawhi...

But sure... keep pressing the false narrative that we couldn't have won when we were positioned just fine before LBJ had other ideas.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

This topic is borderline pretentious. Lebron and Davis won titles as Lakers and will both have their jerseys in the rafters after they retire. Whether or not “kobe_is_better_than_lechoke420” considers them “real Lakers” seems borderline laughable to me.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Instead of using that spot and young assets to our maximum advantage, we traded most of them for AD and cap space we didn't use for Kawhi and now have used it on Westbrook.

All I said is that I prefer the homegrown approach and some of you act like this philosophy won't work when Giannis and Khris just won a title...Toronto won with Siakam and Van Vleet...Golden State won with homegrown talent... Spurs won with homegrown talent

I've never said the kids could win by themselves... I said they could win with LBJ and an open max spot.

But sure... keep pressing the false narrative that we couldn't have won when we were positioned just fine before LBJ had other ideas.

So I guess all you're really saying is you wish we hadn't traded Ingram, Ball, and Hart for AD?

You'd prefer to give back the ring and take a flyer with Lebron, the young players we traded, and whatever free agent we could have landed?

That's cool. I suspect there were fans who bemoaned all the young assets we gave up to acquire Kareem and Shaq as well.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject:

I’d like to where all these GOAT level players are amongst the YUTES. None are even close and doubt they reach that rarified point.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

So I guess all you're really saying is you wish we hadn't traded Ingram, Ball, and Hart for AD?

You'd prefer to give back the ring and take a flyer with Lebron, the young players we traded, and whatever free agent we could have landed?

That's cool. I suspect there were fans who bemoaned all the young assets we gave up to acquire Kareem and Shaq as well.

We signed Shaq as a free agent. Both Shaq and Kareem are way better than AD in terms of impact on a team. When they joined Orlando and Milwaukee, the teams instantly became winners. When AD joined New Orleans... the record stayed the same.

I'm pretty sure BI, Lonzo, Josh Hart, De'Andre Hunter or Garland, plus three first round picks are going to be a higher price than Dave Meyers, Junior Bridgeman, Elmore Smith and Brian Winters.

If think paying a similar price for Kareem as AD is a good investment... that is your right. Personally, I think we paid too much and that's before even mentioning all the other small pieces we let go along the way for capspace.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

\

They also added Gasol, Green, and Ibaka, on top of also having a four-time all-star in Kyle Lowry already in place.

Toronto was really a one-and-done mercenary team that cleared out all the mercenaries within two years of winning a ring and became a 27-45 team.

Now, of course, you hear nothing but trade rumors about how they are trying to ship out that Siakam and FVV.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: