Kobe in the Olympics scares me.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Kobe in the Olympics scares me.

The guy already has ten seasons on his treads (plus a season and a half of playoff games). Look what's happening with KG, a guy whom the singular burden of carrying a franchise has clearly worn him down. Add the three year commitment to the Olympics and I'm starting to worry about Kobe's legs a few years from now, when Bynum is supposedly gonna rescue the franchise. I don't think it's gonna be soon enough. I know Kobe has the drive, and instinct, and insane physical prep, blah blah blah but so did Jordan. But MJ didn't come straight out of college, had Pip (a guy talented enough to lead a team to 50+ win season by himself) to ease the burden, took a long break at 30, and didn't have to make a serious long-term commitment when he did the olympics. I really hope the Lakers make a move soon because it's unrealistic to expect Kobe to maintain this kind of dominance for more very long.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Agree. While I want the US to win, I would prefer they do so without Kobe.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

And how this has not occured to Mitch (Mr. We Like Our Team) is dumbfounding. I can believe this idiot is running the Lakers.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

dude hes got to win a gold for his legacy, im supporting kobe here...

phil really should reduce his minutes for the rest of this season and next
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:

I don't give a rat's ass about his legacy. If playing in the Olympics means that Phil should shorten his minutes the rest of this season and next, then it is obviously a bad idea.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

pjiddy wrote:
And how this has not occured to Mitch (Mr. We Like Our Team) is dumbfounding. I can believe this idiot is running the Lakers.

LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

I agree with all above posts. I'm hoping Kobe slacks off during the Olympic practices as well as during the games and the rest of the team is motivated to win the gold. Maybe he can ride someone else's coattails for a change.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

I'm on your side that I'd rather Kobe not play in the olympics so he's in shape for the Lakers season, but c'mon, you can't put this one on Mitch. No GM out there can legally prevent one of his players from playing on the olympic team. And if Mitch brought this up publicly, half the people in this forum would be bashing him for being unpatriotic.

That said, while I'd rather Kobe be resting, it'd be pretty exciting to see him dunking on somebody's head for a gold medal.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

this has nothing to do with Mitch. Hilarious

Life is short, he can do what he wants.
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Do you guys think he just slums around during the offseason? He probably puts more mileage on his wheels dring the offseason than during the season...this may actually be good for him...
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Sorry, I must have missed where Colangelo was meeting with GM's to determine who to invite to join Team USA.

I heard that Kobe ordered fries instead of a salad as a side order for lunch yesterday too. Damn, Mitch is such an idiot for allowing him to do that.

Kobe also got an HD receiver for the TV in his gym, even though the TV isn't HD compatible. Mitch, you idiot!
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:

I don't give a rat's ass about his legacy. If playing in the Olympics means that Phil should shorten his minutes the rest of this season and next, then it is obviously a bad idea.

Kobe should have reduced minutes in the olympics and for the lakers....kobe needs more rest to have a long career...and i supported magic in 92 so i'll support kobe now...i'm a kobe supporter and a laker supporter but the olympics is important last i heard...
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:
I agree with all above posts. I'm hoping Kobe slacks off during the Olympic practices as well as during the games and the rest of the team is motivated to win the gold. Maybe he can ride someone else's coattails for a change.

Yeah, cuz that sounds like Kobe :roll:

I don't think he's going to slack off in anything he does.

I wish he would have been on the last Olympic team with Tim Duncan. I think we would have won gold with Kobe, AI, and TD.
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Go for it Kobe!
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ppineda wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:

Yeah, cuz that sounds like Kobe :roll:

I don't think he's going to slack off in anything he does.

I wish he would have been on the last Olympic team with Tim Duncan. I think we would have won gold with Kobe, AI, and TD.

Actually, he supposedly trains at 5am everyday...
So it might pace him too... (Travel etc...)
He is a competitor...
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I don't like this either. I mean it would be a hell of a team with Kobe on it. But, it is something that is worrisome to think about. He played a lot of minutes last night and he came up a little gimpy. So, I don't know if playing in the olympics is a good idea. It's probably to help his image. I know it's a dream to win in the olympics but from all the things he's gone through it could very well show the world that he is not selfish when he has great teammates to pass too. Although, I expect him to dominate and get a lot of assists.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

You guys worry too much.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

If Mike Kryszekwefwefswekjski has to play Kobe more than 25 minutes a night to win games on a team that features LeBron, Wade, etc., then he must not be that great a coach.

Of course injuries are always a concern, but Kobe could get hurt playing pickup against Von Wafer over the summer just as easily as he could at the Olympics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Replican49
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I'm on your side that I'd rather Kobe not play in the olympics so he's in shape for the Lakers season, but c'mon, you can't put this one on Mitch. No GM out there can legally prevent one of his players from playing on the olympic team. And if Mitch brought this up publicly, half the people in this forum would be bashing him for being unpatriotic.

That said, while I'd rather Kobe be resting, it'd be pretty exciting to see him dunking on somebody's head for a gold medal.

That's not the point I was making. I mean Mitch is an idiot for not giving Kobe some firepower NOW before his capabilities start to diminish.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Sorry, I must have missed where Colangelo was meeting with GM's to determine who to invite to join Team USA.

I heard that Kobe ordered fries instead of a salad as a side order for lunch yesterday too. Damn, Mitch is such an idiot for allowing him to do that.

Kobe also got an HD receiver for the TV in his gym, even though the TV isn't HD compatible. Mitch, you idiot!

The "Mr. We Like Our Team" should've clued you in. I was talking about his inability to make the Lakers competitive now. Mitch seems to be building a team for 3 years down the road, in which time Kobe will have played 400+ basketball games
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:

NMLaker wrote:
Do you guys think he just slums around during the offseason? He probably puts more mileage on his wheels dring the offseason than during the season...this may actually be good for him...

This is what I was about to say.
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe chose to be on the USA Team is a smart move, because he know if he win the gold medal back to US, he would become the US hero!!
And I think it would really effect kobe's career that much, even if kobe don't go the Olympics, he would still be training hard in the summer. So it bascily it's the same thing, the Olympic just like another training for Kobe!!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

You still need to rest in the offseason. Anyone who argues that the off-season is more grueling than the actual season needs to pull their head out of their a**.
Dakota
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Imagine the recruiting opportunities Kobe will have at practice everyday....

"Yeah Bron, I'm sure Clevland is nice and all but look at these rings..."

"Hey Chris, what's the weather like in Toronto in January? "

"D, you and Shaq work out together in the offseason. Oh wait, nevermind..."

"It's Chris right? Man, I hardly know your name with the lack of attention you guys get in New Orleans, err I mean OKC, err I mean...."

"So Rashard, about your impending FA.....every dream of being Pippen when you were a kid?"

Think positive people, think positive!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: