9-8
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
Miami also had one of all-time great, clutch 3-point shooters on its roster.

certainly wasn't in 2011.

Ray Allen
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

This team is not that Heat team.

Will never understand the comparisons.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

As good as that Miami Big 3 was, they only lasted FOUR seasons before they were owned in the Finals by the Spurs and James left.

This is our year 4 with James; we got one title out of it so I think people should be satisfied and praise the man. I think people were expecting a three peat or something after the covid title, that's just too much to ask. Especially since our roster has changed so much each of the four seasons. The only constant has been a gimpy AD and a Vogel who may be enjoying his last days in LA.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't see a parallel between our start vs. that Heatles team. Like many others have stated, we don't have a prime LeBron which is a big deal.

I will say this though. I am glad that this team is struggling so bad this early as opposed to beating the bottom feeders. We'd be 7-3 if we just hung on to those leads against OKC and there would've been a different tune about this team, yet our problems would've remained.

This poor start on an easy schedule in conjunction with a home stand allows us to spot what isn't working and what changes we need to make to course correct.

Glaring issues are:
1) Zero effort on defense for most of the game (mainly Russ and DAJ)
2) Players don't know where to be on defensive switches (Vogel)
3) No player movement offensively (Vogel)
4) Russ isn't working so far
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Outside of the big 3 that roster was pretty crap...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2011.html
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

The fact that season was 11 years ago shows how unrealistic the expectations on LeBron are.

2013 Lakers is probably a much better comparison for a number of reasons.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 9-8

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
That was the Big 3 Miami Heat record, after 17 games. That team, went on a major run after that and started a run of 4 straight Finals appearances, and 2 championships.

I know things look bad but, we have to stay the course and not overreact too early. Navigate the stormy waters..... clearer skies are ahead.
The biggest difference is they had their Big 3 in their prime prime. Not the farewell tour.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 9-8

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
That was the Big 3 Miami Heat record, after 17 games. That team, went on a major run after that and started a run of 4 straight Finals appearances, and 2 championships.

I know things look bad but, we have to stay the course and not overreact too early. Navigate the stormy waters..... clearer skies are ahead.
The biggest difference is they had their Big 3 in their prime prime. Not the farewell tour.

The OP is just grasping at straws.

Lebron had an amazing turnaround with a group of teammates 11 years ago. That tell us absolutely nothing about what will happen today with his current group of teammates.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

LeBron and some of our other guys are old, but we have quite a few guys who are either young or definitely not old: Westbrook, Nunn, THT, Reaves, Monk, AD, Bradley and Bazemore.

Even Dwight, who is 35, isn't "old" yet in terms of production or availability.

The only thing that would really cost us a shot at the NBA championship is injuries. If we get and stay healthy we'll be in the running for the world title.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 9-8

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

I remember that season and that start well. During that 9-8 start u just had the feeling that they were underperforming their record and that things would right itself like for example the consecutive losses to the blazers and jazz because they were choking in the clutch. One of those records where a team's point differential is much better than their record and u could feel that they were going to turn it around. This Lakers iteration reminds me more of the 2013 Lakers where the names are bigger but I never got that same feel that it was a great team.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
Miami also had one of all-time great, clutch 3-point shooters on its roster.

certainly wasn't in 2011.

Ray Allen

That was 2012
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 9-8

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

3 star players in their prime. Miami also had that, this Laker team doesn’t.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
krisobe wrote:
So 9-8..... So is reaching the FNALS and NOT winning the Championship like the 1st year Heatles, a success season for Lakers?

Most Lakers fans would say no, but I would say yes.

Obviously, that's not your ultimate goal, but just getting to the finals is difficult. I can't have the hubris to say, "Getting to the finals and losing is exactly the same as not making the playoffs -- it's a binary of ring or no ring."

Agree, I always respected those Buffalo Bills who lost 4 SBs in a row. Getting there is an accomplishment.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Miami didn't win until they signed Shane Battier. Who on this Lakers team is our Shane Battier?

TedTalk https://www.ted.com/talks/worklife_with_adam_grant_the_problem_with_all_stars/transcript

Breakout year 3 THT.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject:

The central point seems missed by many people. It's not to compare the rosters but is pointing out that when you have big roster turnover from one season to the next it's not unheard of to get off to a slow start and to then go on to have success.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
krisobe wrote:
So 9-8..... So is reaching the FNALS and NOT winning the Championship like the 1st year Heatles, a success season for Lakers?

Most Lakers fans would say no, but I would say yes.

Obviously, that's not your ultimate goal, but just getting to the finals is difficult. I can't have the hubris to say, "Getting to the finals and losing is exactly the same as not making the playoffs -- it's a binary of ring or no ring."

Agree, I always respected those Buffalo Bills who lost 4 SBs in a row. Getting there is an accomplishment.

Lol
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject:

Yeah, ef that.. Whether they miss the Playoffs or get to the Finals and lose it's a massive disappointment of a season, period. I have no doubt all the vets on the team would say the exact same thing as well. This team is 100% in win now mode.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject:

I'm not a Buffalo Bills fan... but every time I'm reminded how close they were to winning it all, and not winning, four times, in a row... it hurts a little bit. Can't imagine how their fans felt. At least Atlanta got to win 1.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
The central point seems missed by many people. It's not to compare the rosters but is pointing out that when you have big roster turnover from one season to the next it's not unheard of to get off to a slow start and to then go on to have success.

Exactly this. The point isn’t their age it’s the fact that it takes time for three high usage players to adjust to each other in their roles with the rest of the team. It takes time and we are behind right now due to injuries.

A team that took even longer than the big 3 to gel were the 2015 Cavs which went 19-20 in their first 39. They made the finals even when one of their big 3 was injured in the first round. The other member besides Bron got hurt in game 1 of the finals.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: