Ownership is core of the problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Ownership is core of the problem

you can p/m on LeBron, AD, Russ, Pelinka and Vogel all you want, but the core issue here is the Buss family ownership. They're not among the richest owners and that's well documented, and yet, they want to relive the past Laker glory, a complete rebuild is out of question for this ownership. therefore, they want big names, so they settles for aging stars with big names. Jeanie Buss and her brass has no business running a team in the modern NBA, they're still living in the Fabulous Forum days:

big men are Laker tradition

no need for three point shooting when we have stud pg and big man running the break

why spend top $$$ on head coaches and training staff when we can save those $$$ for big name players.

They have lost touch with the modern game, that's the core problem here. and they're too cheap and/or stubborn to adapt.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

While I think Laker ownership (the Buss family in particular) plays a factor in our roster construction (see having to let Caruso go because we didn't want to pay more money in lux tax as a recent example), they are well aware winning championships is what fans want, and what raises the value of their team/company and ultimately their own net worth. I definitely don't think they are the core of the problem. Core of the problem (imo) is everybody's want to "win now" especially now that Lebron is here, and I think it's hard to say the want of "win now" is a problem at all because ultimately that is truly what we all want. That's how older teams, and those around stars, get constructed, plain and simple. We're just in the tail end of a star team, and while we have Lebron here, we're going to contniue to want to "win now" and maximize our opportunity of using him to our advantage.

I don't see that as a problem. I see the problem as we've done a poor job of pushing back on him/his agent's wishes to roster construct, because Pelinka isn't Riley and can't just say F off, we're doing it our way. So we're stuck with a player/GM in Lebron/Klutch and Pelinka having to get their greenlight for moves. But, that's also brought us a championship, a star in AD, and the possibility for a deep run this year if we can actually get the roster healthy and connected again.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

1. I wish Dr. Buss had sold the team instead of leaving it to his mediocre kids, but that's water under the bridge.

2. I have a hard time with calling the Buss family cheap for not wanting to spend additional tens of millions in luxury tax. The Lakers are a high revenue team, but the Buss family isn't obligated to spend it all on luxury tax. I will cut them slack on that one.

3. The real problem is the mediocre kids. Unlike Dr. Buss, they are dependent on the advice of other people who are more qualified or at least more willing to make decisions. This leads us to the Rambii. To Magic. To Pelinka. To Lebron. To Rich Paul. If Dr. Buss was still alive and running the show, who knows what he would have done? But we can be sure of one thing: He would be the decisionmaker and would not have other people doing the thinking for him.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

Can't disagree with the points here....
As much as I love Dr. Buss, his kids are all pretty lame....Jeanie included.

I am thinking now that the Pelinka/Rambis/Buss dynamic and decision making team is totally flawed....

They listen to Lebron/AD too much - Case in point, bringing in a $44 million dollar Westbrook.

I don't think any Laker fan was excited for Westbrook. His fan base here is small, very small....

Last night, I saw a crappy team again. We have banked on Lebron/Davis/Westbrook to bring another title to LA, when, if you take all that salary, you could have gotten younger solid role players instead of a bunch of one year and done guys.

I am frustrated because this is not what I was hoping for.....

And, Lebron is not going to save the day.....
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Can't disagree with the points here....
As much as I love Dr. Buss, his kids are all pretty lame....Jeanie included.

I am thinking now that the Pelinka/Rambis/Buss dynamic and decision making team is totally flawed....

They listen to Lebron/AD too much - Case in point, bringing in a $44 million dollar Westbrook.

I don't think any Laker fan was excited for Westbrook. His fan base here is small, very small....

Last night, I saw a crappy team again. We have banked on Lebron/Davis/Westbrook to bring another title to LA, when, if you take all that salary, you could have gotten younger solid role players instead of a bunch of one year and done guys.

I am frustrated because this is not what I was hoping for.....

And, Lebron is not going to save the day.....

On the bolded:

1. Unfortunately, it is what it is. If you don’t listen to them, AD leaves and you get another LeBron/Dan Gilbert fiasco.

2. 100% agree. Lebron isn’t fixing this team’s issues. (bleep), they struggle with tanking/lottery/bad teams even when he plays.

The only thing that would save this team is the young guys take a huge leap and politics don’t interfere. For example, THT (who is most likely because Klutch) takes on most of ball handling duties and Nunn/Monk take that next leap. Day to Davis and Grandpa LeBron aren’t winning (bleep) if they have to rely on Russ, Melo, Bazemore and the rest of the veterans. They probably even need Reaves to replicate the Caruso role.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ownership is core of the problem

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
you can p/m on LeBron, AD, Russ, Pelinka and Vogel all you want, but the core issue here is the Buss family ownership. They're not among the richest owners and that's well documented, and yet, they want to relive the past Laker glory, a complete rebuild is out of question for this ownership. therefore, they want big names, so they settles for aging stars with big names. Jeanie Buss and her brass has no business running a team in the modern NBA, they're still living in the Fabulous Forum days:

no need for three point shooting when we have stud pg and big man running the break

why spend top $$$ on head coaches and training staff when we can save those $$$ for big name players.

They have lost touch with the modern game, that's the core problem here. and they're too cheap and/or stubborn to adapt.

I'm not a fan of Jeanie and the Busses. If they sold the team, we wouldn't miss them.

That said, I don't think the Lebron-AD route was wrong, or that "a complete rebuild" (by which, I guess, you mean keeping all the kids) would have necessarily led to better results.

I think the criticisms of spending on salaries is unfounded. The Lakers have the fourth highest team salary. Sure, they drew lines on luxury taxes, but you're kidding yourself if you think other owners, no matter how rich, don't do that as well.

I think the Busses do suffer from "brand name" syndrome. They prefer stars. They put the decision making in the hands of Magic and Kobe's agent, because of their links to Magic and Kobe as players.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Kent Bazemore is the problem
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

I'll always root for Jeannie. I don't like rich kids who inherit the farm BUT, Jeannie is a woman surrounded by old elitist, douchy men who are mostly mediocre themselves wanting to see her fail. Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Lakers get another championship in the next few years just to see her dance in their salty tears.

What can I say... I love an underdog.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ownership is core of the problem

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

i agree that the Buss kids are very bad at the business side (Jeanie included), but 3 point shooting IS the modern day NBA. i think the Lakers can afford any coach they want because they don't count toward the cap and lakers will have to pay their share to the league regardless since they are profitable.( revenue sharing).
where they are shortsighted is the fact they didn't choose to build a new arena. that is probably the dumbest thing Jeanie did. the Lakers brand alone will generate a ton of value and you get to keep all the profits. the Dubs did it, and Ballmer is doing it.
GS is on hook for 160mil in Luxury taxes this season, and i think they will more than likely pay it unless they want to trade Wiggins. the thing is that they can afford it due to the revenue generated by their new arena.
i like Jeanie, but i seriously hope she sells the team soon or the Clippers will take over LA.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Kent Bazemore is the problem

you are becoming one of the most unintentionally entertaining posters and i'm here for it
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Agree. It's been a slow death. I did enjoy the brief lottery period when we were stacking up real nice young assets. It's a real shame.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:

It's not a organization problem. I honestly think it's a Klutch and LeBron problem. Look at Miami and Cleveland. They've sucked for years when LeBron left. Now they're actually somewhat legit teams by building through the draft. I also think the only reason we got AD is because of Klutch and LeBron. So it's a double edge sword when working with that group of people. Rob knows it, Jeanie knows it, the Rambi knows it, and whoever else up top knows it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject:

ownership is excellent.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
It's not a organization problem. I honestly think it's a Klutch and LeBron problem. Look at Miami and Cleveland. They've sucked for years when LeBron left. Now they're actually somewhat legit teams by building through the draft. I also think the only reason we got AD is because of Klutch and LeBron. So it's a double edge sword when working with that group of people. Rob knows it, Jeanie knows it, the Rambi knows it, and whoever else up top knows it.

i have no problem getting LeBron and let his people do the recruiting. problem is Lakers got on the LeBron train way too late. a prime LeBron would've attract a lot more free agents.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:

i have no problem getting LeBron and let his people do the recruiting. problem is Lakers got on the LeBron train way too late. a prime LeBron would've attract a lot more free agents.

I agree.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:

I agree.

The problem is that three guys are taking up nearly all our cap space. We're left with nothing but vet minimum guys, etc. Prime Lebron isn't attracting any different caliber of player with that kind of money. It's going to be old ass ring chasers and young unproven guys looking to make their mark. The pickings from either two categories are slim at best. The players that are going to join will be really damn old or if they're young, have glaring holes in their game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:

I agree.

The problem is that three guys are taking up nearly all our cap space. We're left with nothing but vet minimum guys, etc. Prime Lebron isn't attracting any different caliber of player with that kind of money. It's going to be old ass ring chasers and young unproven guys looking to make their mark. The pickings from either two categories are slim at best. The players that are going to join will be really damn old or if they're young, have glaring holes in their game.

Lebron has been most effective in coaxing stars to play with him (Wade and Bosh, and AD).

But supporting players aren't going to sacrifice huge amounts of money to chase rings.

All you can expect from Lebron is to get vet-minimum ring chases like Carmelo to take our offer over the same offer from a contending team. He's not going to get a DeRozan to take the minimum from us as opposed to $26 million from the Bulls.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
It's not a organization problem. I honestly think it's a Klutch and LeBron problem. Look at Miami and Cleveland. They've sucked for years when LeBron left.

This generally happens when a team is built around a perennial MVP candidate who then leaves. How many teams have lost a player of Lebron's caliber and keep on winning championships?

Let us just look at our own Lakers, shall we?

Lost Magic, mediocrity for a decade.
Lost Shaq, mediocrity even with Kobe for a few years until Pau.
Lost Kobe, one of the worst teams in the league for several years.

So this isn't a Lebron issue, is it?

If the Bucks lost Giannis, they would suck. If the Nets lost Durant, they would suck. If the Warriors lost Steph, they would suck. And those teams would all likely suck until they replaced the lost player with a player of the same caliber.

It is exceedingly rare that you have a Kobe-Shaq type duo, lose one, and replace one a few years later with a all-star while having one of your original duo still in his prime. We can go through NBA history if you like: Bulls haven't sniffed the Finals since Jordan; Celtics had an epic drought after Bird of like two decades?; Pistons had over a decade between Thomas and beating us in 04; Rockets had a drought since Hakeem. Shall I continue some more?

This phenomena has exactly zero to do with Lebron. Even a team that manages to find and develop talent like the Spurs has promptly fallen off the cliff without Kawhi. Most teams with superstars tend to mortgage their futures to win now and there is simply zero examples of any team that has maintained competitive dominance over decades without going through a drought and sucking for a long while. So the Lakers aren't any different than any other team in this regard. We can argue about wasted assets, players they could have kept, etc. but it is doubtful the outcome would be any different.

Even if you wanted to go with the argument about the Lakers keeping all the young core together and never going after Lebron and AD, fine. Some sort of Randle/BI/Zo/Zu/Caruso/DLO/Nance/Clarkson/TBryant/Bonga team would not have won 2 or 3 championships (nor even 1 necessarily), and eventually the team would have been forced to move guys just because of contracts adding up, or guys would move on for their own reasons, and eventually you'd be back to square one again. The only exception to this is if you do the one year tank and luck into a generational talent while retaining most of the original roster. And then you'd still run into salary cap issues. The CBA doesn't allow you to maintain all of your talent together over the span of their entire careers.

But back to your original thesis: note that the Heat returned to the Finals in 6 years with a complete rebuild. Note that in those years between, only 3 teams managed to make it to the NBA Finals. So excluding those teams, you have 26 other teams that did not lose Lebron that managed to not make it to the Finals. This should be sufficient evidence that Lebron being on your team and leaving is not what dooms teams to mediocrity. On that note, it might also be worth noting that the Cavs, four years removed from Lebron, have a better record than the Lakers and look to be on an upward trajectory.

Finally: given that both Miami and Cleveland have championships that they otherwise would not have had without Lebron, you can be fairly certain that those organizations are happy to have had Lebron for the time they did--he left them off better than they were before (if we use championships as the measure of success).

In conclusion, I find your thesis to flawed.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Its rare that children from wealthy families surpass their parents achievements.

If I hear that radio promo , "mission 18" one more time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
It's not a organization problem. I honestly think it's a Klutch and LeBron problem. Look at Miami and Cleveland. They've sucked for years when LeBron left.

This generally happens when a team is built around a perennial MVP candidate who then leaves. How many teams have lost a player of Lebron's caliber and keep on winning championships?

Let us just look at our own Lakers, shall we?

Lost Magic, mediocrity for a decade.
Lost Shaq, mediocrity even with Kobe for a few years until Pau.
Lost Kobe, one of the worst teams in the league for several years.

So this isn't a Lebron issue, is it?

A lot of this is Laker exceptionalism.

We have a history of GOAT level player joining this team and being here 8 to 20 years.

We lost Shaq and won a ring 5 years later, and people were catatonic about the horrible down period because we missed the playoffs one year.

Kobe went down with his injury and it took a whole 7 years for Lebron to come and win a ring. Two years after that people are whining how unfair the world is because they don't see us winning another one immediately.

A lot of Lakers fans just have an expectation that we will win 3 rings a decade, and always be in contention.

So the hiccups that everyone else suffers confuse and exasperate them.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

As I've said all through summer 2019(before they won a title) they are not this savvy amazing group you can be amazed by. But neither was Dr. Buss. He had great vision for business, but he made a ton of roster moves on his watch that led to the same resentment from fans. The Buss' family doesn't have a lot of outside income, and the Lakers are managed like a business as well.

Dr Buss also, let a lot of talent go that was not a superstar. People forget the Eddie Jones move was in large part to avoid giving him that massive contract at the time Eddie was going to get, so they got a shorter contract in Rice. Then when Rice's contract came up, he was sent away for another 1 year contract in Ho Grant. So Rice wasn't kept either. Phil Jackson even asked where's Eddie, alluding to his desire for that wing defender and solid 2-way guy who would have fit in the Triangle. Then there was not picking up Horry's option in 2003 after signing Malone. A huge move at the time as Malone end up getting hurt in 2004 playoffs and we had no backup, Slava Medvedenko logged important minutes in the NBA Finals (and had no business doing so) and Horry was a core player in the 3 peat. A paltry 1 year 5M for Horry was passed on without an appropriate replacement. Countless others I recall over the years. Not giving Shaq an extension? Some say that's about Kobe, but Shaq said he also knew that he wouldn't get the extension he actually wanted money wise. If we go back to 2004-2005, what it was like here (I was here on the board). The amount of hate towards Dr Buss for trading Shaq. Crazy. He's cheap, he's lousy. Sell the team. Etc.

I mean we just live in a different time right now, where every move is under the microscope and social media allows it to be exaggerated. This is not the best FO in the league, but you don't luck into Lebron James and Anthony Davis. This requires actual FO work. The work was done, and it led them to where there are. 13 months ago a healthy AD and Bron won a title. Since then we have not had significant time (8 weeks) where AD and Bron are both healthy at the same time. This is the real problem, IMO, not the role players.

They are good and bad in all partnerships and making one with Klutch has it's cons too. No arguments. When you get in bed with Klutch and LBJ, it is what it is. That said, we got a ring. In 3 years. In a time where Bron has clearly physically broken down to where he is not an iron man anymore. Not even close. CLE/Miami got the full ironman Lebron. We have not.

Most relevant. Letting guys like Caruso walk, was similar to me to the moves Dr Buss made. He waived Shaw once to save money. He let Fisher walk in 2004 to Golden State only for us to get lucky he was able to get a buy out and come back in 2007. Caruso helped with one title. Fish helped get us 3 at the time he was first shown the door. How much FO planning was there in that Fisher move? And lets not pretend the Fisher partnership with Kobe was not important. Phil picked Fisher as a starter on his all time Phil Jackson coached teams, because of his leadership and floor general skills. We signed Smush Parker for Kobe in his athletic prime to replace Fisher/Payton. Can you imagine if that happens now on Jeanie's watch in this era? Kwame for Caron, an all-star Caron. Caron goes to Washington, ends up an all-star. Until Kwame is eventually in a package turned into Pau Gasol, can you imagine what it would be like in this era a move like that? How fortune were we that Fisher had the issue he did and got bought out, and comes back to LA in 2007-08?

I understand a lot of frustration with this year's team. It's been tough to watch for all of us, myself included. But in the end, it's not like this franchise is heading into disaster. We don't have WB for 5 years. He has a player opt out, and he also is a FA at latest in 2023. Same as Bron. The Lebron dominated Klutch era likely ends in 2023. Moving forward we have AD, and THT. I doubt the team keeps Westbrook unless he is able to prove himself in the playoffs. Even then, it will depend on the contract value. Rondo had an amazing playoffs and still was allowed to walk. Some may not like the cap plan, and cap flex, but it is the way the Lakers are proceeding. 2023 onward it's AD, THT and a ton of cap. Lets see what happens. I also don't believe anyone can beat a healthy AD/Bron in a 7 game series, especially now that we have weapons like THT, Westbrook, Melo etc. But this is the main issue, we don't know if we will ever get a healthy Bron/AD (together) ever again. That may have been the "outlier".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

we have an owner of a $5B franchise posing nude with 2 basketballs covering her chest. if that's not enough for people to realize how dysfunctional and unprofessional this organization is .... well .... I don't know what to say.

https://twitter.com/JeanieBuss?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

disagree.

ownership has shown they are willing to do what it takes to win. brought stars players, built the facilities, has treated employees extremely well, been outstanding citizens, has not been a distraction, etc. The Buss family, are still, the best owners in sports.

biggest issue thus far this season is lackluster play... now, season is still very very young, we'll see if they can turn it around.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
disagree.

ownership has shown they are willing to do what it takes to win. brought stars players, built the facilities, has treated employees extremely well, been outstanding citizens, has not been a distraction, etc. The Buss family, are still, the best owners in sports.

biggest issue thus far this season is lackluster play... now, season is still very very young, we'll see if they can turn it around.

So why would they not sign Caruso using bird rights and then use the mMLE to add a bigger wing player which is still a major hole?

Why would they not offer Dennis a 1 year $10M offer to stay and hopefully have a 6th man or if not a great expiring trade chip that when combined with THT could net something of value?

They're willing to spend within reason which I can't totally fault them for but it's still been detrimental to the team and chanches of another ring.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
disagree.

So why would they not sign Caruso using bird rights and then use the mMLE to add a bigger wing player which is still a major hole?

Why would they not offer Dennis a 1 year $10M offer to stay and hopefully have a 6th man or if not a great expiring trade chip that when combined with THT could net something of value?

They're willing to spend within reason which I can't totally fault them for but it's still been detrimental to the team and chanches of another ring.

Agreed with your point not necessarily the players. This ownership will pay the stars, no questions there, but as for the everything else they are penny pinching, it’s so damn obvious, I’m surprised some fans don’t see it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: