What Is Austin Reaves Ceiling?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Rookie is playing 20+ MPG on a team with championship aspirations. It says it all.

FIXED: Rookie is playing 20+ MPG on a team with PLAYOFF aspirations. It says it all.

And it gets even better for Austin, he was ranked the 10th best Rookie in the NBA (see link), not bad for a guy who essentially had 62 people picked BEFORE him....!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-rankings-evan-mobley-seizes-no-1-spot-cade-cunningham-showing-poise-despite-shooting-struggles/
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
And so it begins...

And so what begins?

The legend of Austin Reeves...
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If he can become like Luke Walton was, for an undrafted player, that's great.

But I'm hoping he can be more than that. A top 8 rotation level player would be awesome. I'd expect his body to be more filled out through the year and next, and he'll be more confident. He just plays smartly and doesn't make too many stupid mistakes.

Yes, Luke Walton was the first comp that came to mind. Also Josh Hart, Rick Fox. As others have said, a fringe starter, solid bench player.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Rookie is playing 20+ MPG on a team with championship aspirations. It says it all.

It certainly says something about our roster. According to the injury thread, we may have only eight players active tonight. Reaves would be the ninth if he can play.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject:

role player... probably a 8-12th man on a really good team...

other than that, I just hope he can be like, at his best, be someone who can do what Grayson Allen is doing with the Bucks.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
And so it begins...

And so what begins?

The legend of Austin Reeves...

As I said elsewhere, I cannot recall another case of a player going from not-rated-at-all to overrated as quickly as Austin Reaves. He's an okay player, but sheesh.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject:

I will say I like his triple threat mode of attack. It's really a lost art right now. Everyone immediately is just a double threat attack these days. Catch and shoot, or catch and drive. This guy is so good at making the D guess what he's going to do. Be it shoot, drive or even make a very good high IQ pass.

His effort is 10/10.

Overall, I don't think anyone should expect a star or more than a rotation guy. But for sure when I see him play, I miss Caruso a little less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

Caruso is probably one of, if not the best role player in the league.

Reaves to me, though, looks better than Caruso was in his first year. Whether that’s because of opportunity, I’m not sure. Caruso is probably more athletic, but Reaves is a better shot maker and shooter.

I really like this player.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

My gut response was Steve Blake. Not sure that holds up - bigger, less pg skills. Andre Iggy?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject:

eventually there will be another Larry bird. Why not him?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

LOL.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
My gut response was Steve Blake. Not sure that holds up - bigger, less pg skills. Andre Iggy?

Iggy was a lottery pick/All Star/2X All D/Finals MVP.

I think Reaves can be an NBA starter if he hits shots.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

comparing Reeves and THT, i think Reeves brings more to the table. all THT does is penetrating to the hoop, clogging up the paint even more. Reeves can play as a spot up shooter, penetrate drive and kick or finish at the rim. on the defensive end THT has the longer arms for deflections and steels, but Reeves plays better positioning defense.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
comparing Reeves and THT, i think Reeves brings more to the table. all THT does is penetrating to the hoop, clogging up the paint even more. Reeves can play as a spot up shooter, penetrate drive and kick or finish at the rim. on the defensive end THT has the longer arms for deflections and steels, but Reeves plays better positioning defense.

THT is significantly better putting consistent pressure at the rim and scoring the basket when he gets there. This is an invaluable commodity to have post Lebron and RW or as needed in the event of injuries as has become common with Lebron.

Should also consider THT is 3.5 years younger than Reaves and should improve in the areas you spoke on.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

He already came and gone, even played for the Lakers. Adam Morrison.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Austin Reaves, the white Larry Bird!!!
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

I don't see why Reaves could not develop into a solid starter. If KCP is a starter with his modest contributions why not Reaves? +/- for each when you compare them.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

tht has much higher upside due to his ability to penetrate
if either his defense improves or his 3p% goes up, then would be a good starter
if both, then a real star

reaves has higher downside at this time
if his 3p% goes up, then he becomes a good starter
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

i really hope Reaves plays today especially if Rondo is out, we'd get a good look at him running the show. however, hamstring issues are nothing to be joking about.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Reaves has a better shooting stroke than THT now, and he probably has a better vision as a playmaker. THT is solely attacking the rim at this point as nobody respects his jumper, you certainly can't do that with Reaves. THT has a far more NBA level body and maybe a higher ceiling, but Reaves has a high floor due to his understanding of the game. he plays excellent defense already as an undrafted rookie, and that doesn't go away.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Reaves has a better shooting stroke than THT now, and he probably has a better vision as a playmaker. THT is solely attacking the rim at this point as nobody respects his jumper, you certainly can't do that with Reaves. THT has a far more NBA level body and maybe a higher ceiling, but Reaves has a high floor due to his understanding of the game. he plays excellent defense already as an undrafted rookie, and that doesn't go away.

Reaves is currently shooting 32% from 3 and in his last 2 college years 26 and 31%. Still needs to show consistency and improvement in this area before stating he has the better shooting stroke.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Can Austin Reaves Become a Superstar?

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
This thread reminds me of the LG poster who wanted to "groom" AD and Malik Monk into the next Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray.

No, because I'm not comparing to any player or hoping he becomes a player. I asked can he become a superstar or what is his ceiling.

So you think asking if Malik Monk can become the next Jamal Murray is significantly different than asking if Austin Reaves can become the next NBA superstar?

You didn't read. Here you go - "With working on his game, lifting weights to get stronger. Reps/Experience, what do you think is his ceiling?"

Dude, you are a piece of work. Your original post asked if he could become a superstar. You changed the headline and edited your post twice to mute tone that down.

I don't have any problems with the edited post. The original version was ridiculous.

That was just the title. I said "can Austin Reaves be a superstar?" A question about how one see's how far he can go if he works. At the very end of my post, I literally wrote "With working on his game, lifting weights to get stronger. Reps/Experience, what do you think is his ceiling?" hence me responding to you and saying

Quote:
I'm not comparing him to any player or hoping he becomes a player. I asked can he become a superstar or what is his ceiling.

I edited it once because his last name was wrong. I edited it another time to change the title.

Every thing written is the same. You just read the title and not the post, as I seen with another. I seen where it was going because some of y'all get lazy and don't wanna read beyond the title. So, I changed it, that way, people don't get fixated on that, think it is some thing it is not, change the direction of the thread, when the premise is about his ceiling.

Last edited by Outspoken on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:20 pm; edited 6 times in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Halflife wrote:

/thread
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Halflife wrote:

This is hilarious.

Last edited by Outspoken on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Reaves is currently shooting 32% from 3 and in his last 2 college years 26 and 31%. Still needs to show consistency and improvement in this area before stating he has the better shooting stroke.

he shot 42 and 50% from the 3 in his first 2 years in college, and career 85% free throw shooter. THT is sub 30%, so saying he has a better stroke than THT at this moment is not an overstatement. i didn't say he was on Tyler Herro or Duncan robinson level.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: