Can we really expect our defense to improve

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Can we really expect our defense to improve

When Ariza, Nunn and LeBron come back, can we really expect a massive defensive turnaround or is that really just wishful thinking?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Yes we can, lebron will solve a lot of issues at the 4. What teams are doing now is basically high PNR to get AD switch to a guard and we have 4 guards after that. Lebron can help with that. See how Jones scored those basket in the 3rd. Vogel should make adjustments without lebron, more zones or don’t switch every time or play the big lineup. His options are limited. Bad roster
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we really expect our defense to improve

phantasyman wrote:
When Ariza, Nunn and LeBron come back, can we really expect a massive defensive turnaround or is that really just wishful thinking?

I think there will be a big improvement specially with Lebron/Ariza... Our wings looks small right now. Ariza should add some length. Lebron's also is versatile enough defensively that he can guard almost any position.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

I mean, I expect it. I don't know if it is really reasonable though.

I think part of the problem of our "defense" is that we often have bad offensive possessions which lead to easy offense.

I haven't seen Ariza play for any long stretch of time for a while, but I imagine he might be better than one of our guys defensively, maybe bazemore. Lebron and Nunn will definitely help the offense and make opposing teams have to work more for their shots.

We will see if it plays out that way. Also, don't forget Reaves is hurt and he is solid individually and team defensively.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Lebron will mask some deficiencies. Nunn is an average defending short guard among a sea of our short guards. Ariza is 36 whose best days are long behind him. And then you have to factor in chemistry with Nunn and Ariza. Its wishful thinking.

Russ, Melo, Monk, Rondo, Ellington will all still be getting meaningful minutes.

Our best supposed defenders Bradley and Bazemore have been getting absolutely cooked out there against the other teams best guards and wings.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we really expect our defense to improve

phantasyman wrote:

I don't know that I would expect a massive, immediate turnaround. Those guys are certainly among our better defenders, but it's not like Nunn and Ariza are close to making the all-defensive team.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject:

I know I keep saying this, but we really need a long, athletic forward who plays good D and has good energy. A player like that would help us improve noticeably on D.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I know I keep saying this, but we really need a long, athletic forward who plays good D and has good energy. A player like that would help us improve noticeably on D.

I agree. Hopefully we can sort out the best guards for this team and get a forward or two. Why do we have all these guards? I know LBJ and Ariza are out, but cmon.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject:

This garbage defense only lead to the lottery
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject:

I expect us to improve sure, but the true question should be if the improvement is enough for us to win a championship - which I have my doubts.

But hey, Lebron is still a miracle worker at this age, and Russ is known for being spectacular in the second half of the season.

We'll see
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
I expect us to improve sure, but the true question should be if the improvement is enough for us to win a championship - which I have my doubts.

But hey, Lebron is still a miracle worker at this age, and Russ is known for being spectacular in the second half of the season.

We'll see

Russ has been known for benig a train wreck come playoff time as well.

I dislike Russ as a player and i am confident in saying any team having Russ as their starting PG will not win a chip ever.
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:

We'll see

We definitely are not winning a championship. I doubt we make it out of the west
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
This garbage defense only lead to the lottery

chill, we don't got our pick next yr
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject:

It troubles me how so many are relying on Lebron to save the day.

Are we not understanding that Lebron is 37 years old and has missed significant numbers of games for the past three seasons due to injuries? Even when he heals from this latest one, there is reason to expect that he will get some other injury before the season is over.

Lebron James is old and physically fragile. He can boost our team in certain ways, but we should not and cannot rely on him to save the season. If the likes of Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, the up and coming THT, all the shooters and young players, and the seasoned vets on our team cannot figure this (bleep) out, then there's no reason to expect much more than a 1st round exit. Stop putting it all on Lebron.

Clippers and Denver don't have their best players, they certainly don't have all these future HOF'ers, and they are doing just fine. Lakers should be able to compensate for not having Lebron on the floor, and we can't. Period. We can't. Lakers just aren't that good, and the quicker fans can accept that, the less frustration there will be when we get eliminated 1st round.

#lebroncannotbeoursavioranymore
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject:

yea, this is our last hope, Bron-Ariza-Nunn to turn the defense around or we're in big doo doo
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

We'll see

We definitely are not winning a championship. I doubt we make it out of the west

The team isn't looking great right now, but I would never count out a team with Lebron and Davis until they're actually eliminated.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: