Is Anthony Davis A Foundational Star?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Is Anthony Davis A Foundational Star?

It's strange how he is considered a generational talent, a star, but gets pushed around by little players. He has not consistently shown that he can carry a team. He has more length combined with size and quickness than everyone on the court, but he plays soft and doesn't play inside. He floats around the perimeter, shooting mid range and 3's, rather than taking it in and dominating. I rarely see him playing aggressive or taking over a game. I can only imagine if a 6'6 or 6'8 player, with less size was trying to contain Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, KG, Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, those small players would not fair well. More like farewell, good night.. they would dominate those little guys.

He has games like the spurs game where I'm like "we gave up our assets for that " in a good way. Then other games like the Bulls where I'm like "we gave away assets for that?" In a bad way. It's so frustrating watching him play at times.

I feel it would greatly benefit him to train with KG.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Anthony Davis A Star or Just a Solid Player To a Star?

Of course he's a star. He's not just a solid player. What you mean is whether he is a foundational superstar. I'm not sure that he is, for the reasons you give. In addition, I think he's a generational talent who was born in the wrong generation. He wants to float out and play on the perimeter, because that's where the game is played today.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Anthony Davis A Star or Just a Solid Player To a Star?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Of course he's a star. He's not just a solid player. What you mean is whether he is a foundational superstar. I'm not sure that he is, for the reasons you give. In addition, I think he's a generational talent who was born in the wrong generation. He wants to float out and play on the perimeter, because that's where the game is played today.

Yes, I mean foundational superstar. That's a good term. I'm a change my title to it.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Anthony Davis A Star or Just a Solid Player To a Star?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

With understanding the modern NBA - If he had great success inside, the game before, against the spurs, and it benefitted the Laker, why do you feel he ventures away from that?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

AD needs to pick a direction and stick with it, either be a full time center that dominates inside with occasional three point shots like jokic and embiid or reborn as an athletic 7 footer like KG and KD who dominates on the mid post and perimeter. we all know the 2nd option is out of question.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

AD will be 29 by the time playoff rolls around. Here's a simple answer to your question. At 29 years old, did we ever have questions about players such as... Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, Ewing, Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, David Robinson, etc.?

Not in terms of game or style, but in terms of overall winning effect on a franchise, AD is in this "effect" tier... Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Kemp, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Chris Weber, etc.

In Laker world, we have high expectations because we got so many players that would challenge for a spot on the all time first or 2nd squad. AD is a nice player like the guys I just mentioned. A very nice player, that's all. We go as far as Lebron goes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I need AD to come out like he did against San Antonio every night taking it to the basket and pressuring the D. Not one that does it one game and then the next game takes 2 Field Goals in the first 2 quarters and fading away with the 6'6 Zach Lavine defending him. What's the point of all those bigger muscles if you aren't going to use them.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I need AD to come out like he did against San Antonio every night taking it to the basket and pressuring the D. Not one that does it one game and then the next game takes 2 Field Goals in the first 2 quarters and fading away with the 6'6 Zach Lavine defending him. What's the point of all those bigger muscles if you aren't going to use them.

if you have to hope AD doing that once every few games, then we have a problem. AD just does not have IT.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Anthony Davis A Star or Just a Solid Player To a Star?

Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

With understanding the modern NBA - If he had great success inside, the game before, against the spurs, and it benefitted the Laker, why do you feel he ventures away from that?

It's a long-term trend. Talented big men don't want to play in the paint. Let's go back almost 40 years to Ralph Sampson. The coaches and fans wanted him to be the next great center, like Wilt, Russell, Walton, and Kareem. He didn't want to do that. It frustrated everyone when he was at Virginia, and it frustrated folks in the NBA. Luckily for him, the Rockets drafted Hakeem, which led to the so-called Twin Towers. But what that really meant was that Hakeem was the center in the paint while Sampson roamed. Of course, injuries cut his career short, but he was a star until then.

You can draw a straight line from Sampson to Davis. There are a lot of other names on that line, including Duncan, Garnett, Durant, and Giannis. In the 1970s, all of them would have been told to bulk up and play center. Davis has a bigger frame than some of those guys, but it's the same thing. We still get some stars who are traditional low post centers -- Embiid, maybe Jokic, Howard in his prime. But in a lot of ways, Shaq was the last of his kind.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

he is Lamar Odom with prime KG Skill and ben simmons heart

a no heart 2a or 2b honestly.

no balls whatsoever
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
he is Lamar Odom with prime KG Skill and ben simmons heart

a no heart 2a or 2b honestly.

no balls whatsoever

pretty much what he said
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Davis just doesn't have the physical motor to do what he did to the Spurs every 45 hours. That's a massive amount of human to move around as quickly as he does and it seems his recovery time is too long to go 100% every game.

He's not taller or stronger than most C's, so he ends up trying to out skill them on the perimeter if he is in one of those 1/2 speed recovery games.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

At best he is the Scottie Pippen of any team. He needs another star better than him to compete, give effort, make an impact, play defense & motivate him!!!

He doesn’t belong at 3 pt line & stop thinking he’s a guard, but he really needs a better IQ on offensive end where he should be & most of all get rid of the ball on double teams & stop forcing himself into basically triple team or zone schemes when teams know he’s the guy without LBJ or next future star!

Lakers have to have good shooters such as Hopefully Nunn, Monk, LBJ, on the guard to free him up & STOP PACKING THE PAINT AGAINST HIM!!!
HC: Riley
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

If AD was not injury prone, he'd be top 5 in the league. Giannis and AD would have some incredible battles if only AD had the durability like Giannis does. This is essentially why AD opted in to sign 5 years instead of 4. He knew that his injury history is something to take into consideration so he took that guaranteed money. Never know when this guy might go down and stay down.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Genuine question, who here would build a team around AD as the best player?

Next question, who here would build a team with Ja Morant as the best player?

Follow up question, for those who said no to AD but yes to Ja, then is Ja the better player than AD?

I too think AD is one of the most confusing star players out there, his skillset and defense yells generational talent, but I just can't genuinely say he's on the same tier as Lebron, Curry, KD, Giannis, Jokic, even Embiid...
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject:

AD deserves more respect here. Bigs need perimeter help. Why Shaq never won without Kobe or Wade. LBJ is toward the end here and yet they did win one already. In NO he never had a true second superstar and yet he still drug that team into the playoffs. The Bulls essentially doubled him from the get go and no one else helped. That and the team literally had two forwards on the roster last night and if AD is playing center one. WTF built this roster it is two OLD centers, AD, two forwards in LBJ & Melo (also both old) and I guess Ariza. Then he signed AB, Rondo off the scrap heap. Need another forward that is 6'8" - 6'10"
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Answer is simple.NO
He cannot take the team to playoffs alone and its a fact.
He is great behind superstar like Bron, Durant or some other.
But to do it as number one and alpha no way.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

easy to build around but his lack of willingness to be dominant isn't ideal for 1a.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

If only we had Buddy Hield to build around as our foundational star. Missed opportunity .
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
AD deserves more respect here. Bigs need perimeter help. Why Shaq never won without Kobe or Wade. LBJ is toward the end here and yet they did win one already. In NO he never had a true second superstar and yet he still drug that team into the playoffs. The Bulls essentially doubled him from the get go and no one else helped. That and the team literally had two forwards on the roster last night and if AD is playing center one. WTF built this roster it is two OLD centers, AD, two forwards in LBJ & Melo (also both old) and I guess Ariza. Then he signed AB, Rondo off the scrap heap. Need another forward that is 6'8" - 6'10"

problem is, AD never admit he's a big, from his refusal to play center to his playing style (settling for outside jumper over shorter defender).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
AD will be 29 by the time playoff rolls around. Here's a simple answer to your question. At 29 years old, did we ever have questions about players such as... Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, Ewing, Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, David Robinson, etc.?

I'd take Ewing off that list. When he was 29, most of his Knicks teams were sub .500 and had never made it past the second round. His record to that point wasn't much better than AD at age 29 (though AD started his career years earlier.)

The rest of the guys you name are on the GOAT short list, or just outside it. If that's your standard, pretty much everyone is going to fail it.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

AD is sooooo OVER-RATED.

People were saying he is a top 5 player - LOL.

He's a top 5 center, at best.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

It's not complicated.

AD is better than the average NBA player. He fits into the category of being a good NBA player. That said, he's not what you'd consider a great NBA player.

Good NBA players will have solid games every now and then, but they don't have consistently good games. They will help you win Rings, but they can't carry a team by themselves. Good NBA players need great players to win rings.

I put AD in the same category as Khris Middleton. Middleton was influential, and quite necessary, for the Bucks winning of the Championship. However, they didn't win it all because of Middleton. They won it all because of the Greek Freak.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject:

He’s not a 1.

He has 1 talent, but the mental side and consistency just isn’t there.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Oh, stop it. Lakers are going for a 3-peat if he doesn't get hurt last season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: