Is Anthony Davis A Foundational Star?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Players have shown they can impact a team to win and carry their team to the playoffs. AD has not consistently shown he can. He hasn't even consistently shown he could win games without Lebron on the Lakers. AD as a #1 on a team, are lottery teams, when he is the main guy. Can't say the same for Curry, Durant, Harden, Lillard, Embiid, Jokic, Lebron, CP3, Giannis.... Even Westbrook has carried a not so talented team to the playoffs. Those are foundational stars.. AD doesn't appear to make that list.

The problem with this argument is that you attribute the team's success entirely to the #1 guy -- so having Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green as teammates is exactly the same as having Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, and Greivis Vásquez as teammates.

I mean are guys like Embiid and Lillard really more "foundational players" than AD. I'm not sure you can make a strong case for that without defining "foundational player" in such a way that they automatically win.

Beyond that, when people talk about "foundational players" they aren't asking if a player is capable of leading a team that goes 0-4 in the first round of the playoffs.

They are asking if you can reasonable assemble a team around that player that has a chance of being a genuine contender.

I'm talking about a star impacting a team enough to make it to the playoffs, as the #1 option. Steph doesn't have Klay or Durant and the team is being successful with Steph as the #1 option. Embiid was 8-2 as #1 option this season, without Ben Simmons and sixers are on a 5 game losing streak with him being out. A foundational player can get a team to the playoffs as the #1 option.

I don't think that's a meaningful, interesting or useful way of looking at "foundational players" myself, but to each their own.

I don't think a "foundational star" is consistently leading teams to the lottery, but you're right, to each's own.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Players have shown they can impact a team to win and carry their team to the playoffs. AD has not consistently shown he can. He hasn't even consistently shown he could win games without Lebron on the Lakers. AD as a #1 on a team, are lottery teams, when he is the main guy. Can't say the same for Curry, Durant, Harden, Lillard, Embiid, Jokic, Lebron, CP3, Giannis.... Even Westbrook has carried a not so talented team to the playoffs. Those are foundational stars.. AD doesn't appear to make that list.

The problem with this argument is that you attribute the team's success entirely to the #1 guy -- so having Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green as teammates is exactly the same as having Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, and Greivis Vásquez as teammates.

I mean are guys like Embiid and Lillard really more "foundational players" than AD. I'm not sure you can make a strong case for that without defining "foundational player" in such a way that they automatically win.

Beyond that, when people talk about "foundational players" they aren't asking if a player is capable of leading a team that goes 0-4 in the first round of the playoffs.

They are asking if you can reasonable assemble a team around that player that has a chance of being a genuine contender.

I'm talking about a star impacting a team enough to make it to the playoffs, as the #1 option. Steph doesn't have Klay or Durant and the team is being successful with Steph as the #1 option. Embiid was 8-2 as #1 option this season, without Ben Simmons and sixers are on a 5 game losing streak with him being out. A foundational player can get a team to the playoffs as the #1 option.

I don't think that's a meaningful, interesting or useful way of looking at "foundational players" myself, but to each their own.

I don't think a "foundational star" is consistently leading teams to the lottery, but you're right, to each's own.

No offense, but to me you are just trying to take the conversation to really uninteresting places, so I will bid you adieu.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
He's a Robin with Batman's talent

That's a good way of putting it. If he played like he did vs the Spurs, consistently, he would be a Batman, no doubt.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

I think AD is a great player but has the killer instinct of a Robin.

In a way AD reminds me a lot of Pau.

The Lakers need to find an Alpha cut in the mold of a Kobe, LBJ type.

Maybe Giannis is angling his way to LA

But Tatum, Beal, or Dame would be the type of player I want playing next to AD since they will take charge when it matters most.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Giannis read this thread
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject:

This game answers this question.

Watching him side by side with Giannis, it's clear what a foundational star is, and it's not AD.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Giannis read this thread

Giannis showed the difference between a foundational star and just a star. Giannis completely demolished AD in the 1st half. Made AD look like a solid role player. Giannis continued to beast the Lakers, throughout the game.

Last edited by Outspoken on Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:
This game answers this question.

Watching him side by side with Giannis, it's clear what a foundational star is, and it's not AD.

SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

AD lol, I don’t think the guy enjoys playing basketball.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject:

It’s so weird to me that Anthony Davis was once considered superior to Giannis. Not even remotely comparable impact wise

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject:

AD is T-Mac

Giannis is Kobe

There's a reason Giannis has more nba awards despite the 2 being comparable in talent.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
It’s so weird to me that Anthony Davis was once considered superior to Giannis. Not even remotely comparable impact wise

I honestly can't remember, was this during Giannis' rookie season?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

As recently as the bubble season, people here we’re putting AD ABOVE Giannis. Maybe this board is just biased.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

As recently as the bubble season, people here we’re putting AD ABOVE Giannis. Maybe this board is just biased.

Two seasons ago AD was better than Giannis. Giannis just came off 2 consecutive disappointing playoff performances while his inability to shoot got exposed big time during playoffs. AD was leading us to the bubble title.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject:

AD is playing way way below his potential... it's very disappointing.

He's playing like he's got no drive, unmotivated, even at times, he looks lazy ... reminds me of Odom to some degree.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

No.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
AD is T-Mac

Giannis is Kobe

There's a reason Giannis has more nba awards despite the 2 being comparable in talent.

AD is way way way more talented than Giannis.

Giannis just worked his ass off, and surpassed AD by miles.

Imagine if AD had Giannis' work ethic and drive, he'd be the best in the NBA today, bar none, just like many pundits have expected him to become.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
AD is T-Mac

Giannis is Kobe

Imagine if AD had Giannis' work ethic and drive, he'd be the best in the NBA today, bar none, just like many pundits have expected him to become.

I’d take someone with slight lesser talent but willing to putting works over a more talented guy who never improved his game, just relying on the same talent got him to the league. Has AD added anything to his game since he came to nba? I can’t think of one.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
AD is T-Mac

Giannis is Kobe

AD is Lamar Odom but getting paid max.

Last year and this year I thought he would go for MVP but looks like he doesn't care anymore

Give me giannis all day over this punk
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
AD is T-Mac

Giannis is Kobe

Exactly like T-Mac, even down to the injury concerns.

Kobe said T-Mac was more talented than himself. However, T-Mac lacked Kobe's drive and we all know how that played out.

AD (T-Mac) and Giannis (Kobe) look to be mirroring them at this point in their careers. Just be glad AD realized he needed a "batman" enough to where the lakers were able to win the bubble chip.

For all of AD's talent, I'm surprised he still hasn't won the DPOY award. Even Dwight being immature in Orlando was able to accomplish such a feat.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject:

It’s a perimeter stars’ league, in order to be a dominant big man in todays nba, skillset aside you have to play with an attitude. Jokic and Embiid do exactly that, those two are mean mofos not easy to push around. AD’s weak base and physique can be linked to his laziness in off seasons. Seems like the guy is very content of being what he is right now, and that’s bad news for Laker fans.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
AD is T-Mac

Giannis is Kobe

Kobe said T-Mac was more talented than himself. However, T-Mac lacked Kobe's drive and we all know how that played out.

AD (T-Mac) and Giannis (Kobe) look to be mirroring them at this point in their careers. Just be glad AD realized he needed a "batman" enough to where the lakers were able to win the bubble chip.

For all of AD's talent, I'm surprised he still hasn't won the DPOY award. Even Dwight being immature in Orlando was able to accomplish such a feat.

T-Mac led the league in scoring two consecutive seasons. Show some respect.

AD is Boris Diaw.

dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
AD is T-Mac

Giannis is Kobe

T-Mac led the league in scoring two consecutive seasons. Show some respect.

AD is Boris Diaw.

Lol Post-championship AD hasn't been as advertised but he's not at those levels just yet.

Let him become fat first before we mention AD in the same breath as Boris Diaw.
BotPoster24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

AD is versatile offensively but I can't say he is "foundational star" level in any of the areas he's talented in. He isn't a ball dominate guy you put at the top of the key and tell him to go get it more times than not during a game. He isn't the strongest guy to have him in the post and backing down defenders on a nightly basis. What he seems to like to do most is be in a triple threat position at mid-range area and shoot. In that area he isn't a good enough jump shooter to have those possessions mean as much as they should.

He's a very smooth and skilled player who will get his in a variety of ways but it's more often than not, very quiet. Then you look at the boxscore and see he has 20 and 10.

Bubble AD is likely to never happen again. His shooting splits were phenomenal and that AD was foundational star. What I do like is his numbers beyond last years playoffs, always seemed to improve come playoff time. I know the sample size isn't that big outside of the Lakers but playing well during the playoffs more times than not is good.

I've always looked at him more as an amazing second option whose defense makes him that much more meaningful to a team. He isn't a floor raiser but everything he has raises the ceiling if combined with a legit superstar.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Can we say AD is a rich man's Porzingis?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: