So why did we have to blow up the 2019/2020 team?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: So why did we have to blow up the 2019/2020 team?

Like this year, 11 new players..
Why?
Too much turnover the last two seasons

Poor ownership and management
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

anth...I can't give a why, but iirc:

Lakers went into that offseason needing another ball handler to cover LBJ minutes. During the championship run the non LBJ minutes got rough at times. Rondo fixed that during the playoffs, but the FO was not counting on that.

Enter DS. That cost something...cya later DG.

Then a bit of a surprise "get" popped on the radar - Trez. They pivoted.

As they did that, Dwight said cya later. So now we wanted a more reliable big...out went Javale, in came M Gasol.

Rondo? He got his ring, wanted that last big pay day. Cya.

AB? That was just a wierd situation, team and him parted ways after he did not go into the bubble.

That's off top of my head.

Those were the primary big losses.

Last year's team had talent and got off to a good start; a healthy team may have made a deep run.

The bigger losses were frankly this offseason. Gone: DS, Gasol, Trez, AC, KCP, Kuz, Kieff. That's basically (over) half the rotation.

Last edited by DrDent on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I guess because Lebron wanted it that way. But everyone is afraid to criticize him. I also think Rob gets off and just signing players. To him, the challenge is in just signing players, not adhering to any sort of vision for the team.

I don't trust Lebron or Rob. Both are in this for themselves.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject:

No wings, to many guards, and no offensive system. If your going guard heavy, you have to have ball movement and players that will make opposing teams pay.

This team is in no mans land.

Last edited by Lakerz113 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject:

42 years as a Lakers fan and I don’t like this lack of team here…
Feels faux
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject:

because Pelinka'd
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I don't doubt that both LeBron and Rob both want to win. Their interests are mostly aligned with us fans because they don't want what they're experiencing right now.

IMO I think either LeBron or Rob or both felt like they were smarter than all the critics and thought that this would work. There's a fine line between confidence and hubris. They still have time to figure out, but early results are not promising.

On a side note, I saw that the Wizards just signed their GM to a multi-year extension. How happy was that guy when Rob called? In some ways, Rob is in the same situation as Jim and Mitch: win now at almost any cost. When other GMs know that, probably takes away some leverage.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Stop overrated the 2020 title team. It was a bubble title, and they didn’t exactly face a power house in the finals either. The entire league was still in flux after the long lay-off and then the bubble experience. Take off the Laker homer glasses, if there was ever an asterisk title, that was it. That team was not a juggernaut like everyone think, they were also patchwork roster that happened to get hot toward the end.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Rob Pelinka.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject:

13 months. From Championship to lottery team. Embarrassing.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject:

If we are all in agreement that Pelinka is the problem, now the million dollar question is "what does Jeanie think of Rob?" How long will she retain Rob? She stuck with Jimbo for quite some time and the Lakers never really progressed during his tenure. This current Laker team is regressing and fast.

This is why bad franchises remain bad because of bad ownership. When owners make dumb decisions, the teams suck and the fans get to endure a bad product.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
If we are all in agreement that Pelinka is the problem, now the million dollar question is "what does Jeanie think of Rob?" How long will she retain Rob? She stuck with Jimbo for quite some time and the Lakers never really progressed during his tenure. This current Laker team is regressing and fast.

This is why bad franchises remain bad because of bad ownership. When owners make dumb decisions, the teams suck and the fans get to enjoy a bad product.

They can both kick rocks. We need a new owner and new GM
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

This is why bad franchises remain bad because of bad ownership. When owners make dumb decisions, the teams suck and the fans get to endure a bad product.

My guess is that she's tighter with Rob than she was with Jim.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

We had a recent thread on poor ownership, and while I agree the Buss kids aren't the best in the business, I worry that if it gets sold off to a corporate entity, it may get worse. We need a high roller billionaire type to come in and use the team as a personal toy/shiny object for it to be worthwhile, and not some entity that runs it as a pure black/white business to show on its corporate filings.

Re Pelinka, there's a thread on him already, but I think he's stuck between a rock and a hard place, and there's no point pinning the blame on him. He has a LBJ/Klutch team that is going to essentially dictate what they want or need in order to remain happy, and then he has an ownership group that is trying to save pennies wherever it can. He's also limited in his options in that many teams don't want to do anything to help LA just because of our reputation.

I do think our teams have been poorly constructed the past few years, but who do you blame for that, Pelinka or LBJ/Klutch?
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

The mistake was Russ. Pelinka takes the buddy hield deal and adjusts around the edges on the margin and we are ready for another run.

I think both he and Lebron also take for granted team chemistry. That title team wasn’t just hot in the bubble, they were great all season from day one and prior to the shutdown had taken out both Milwaukee and the Clips.

Was never a need to completely discard the core of that team.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Stop overrated the 2020 title team. It was a bubble title, and they didn’t exactly face a power house in the finals either. The entire league was still in flux after the long lay-off and then the bubble experience. Take off the Laker homer glasses, if there was ever an asterisk title, that was it. That team was not a juggernaut like everyone think, they were also patchwork roster that happened to get hot toward the end.

I don’t think you can say that. Just look at this past year, who did MIL beat? Hobbled Nets team, overrated PHX team that wouldn’t have beat us healthy, and a scrub Miami team?

We were rolling that season, the pieces fit much better with multiple 3 and D wings that can shoot and young players like Caruso on the rise. We have none of that right now.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject:

I hate the narrative that they "blew up" a championship team.

Rondo got a $15m deal when they were willing to give him what he's making currently, the league minimum.

Avery Bradley opted out, and signed for the same money elsewhere. KCP got an extension and would probably be taking AB's starting job after the strong bubble.

Danny Green was getting death threats. Lakers fans had turned against him. He had to be moved and they got Schroder out of that deal.

Dwight Howard took slightly less money to play with the Sixers after they signed Trez. They were not anticipating that.

They did trade Javele and acquired Gasol but Javele had barely played in the playoffs. They expected they would have Dwight.

The only two decisions that they willingly made there were swapping Javele for Gasol essentially and Green for Schroder. Signing Trez and acquiring Gasol apparently scared Dwight into signing with the Sixers unexpectedly. That was not their decision. Rondo leaving was also not their decision unless you wanted to pay him $7.5m per season? And his departure is what made signing another ball handler essential.

"Keeping the team together" would have involved paying Rondo $7.5m per year, keeping Danny Green who would be a free agent the next year and who Lakers fans had turned against, somehow convincing Bradley to come back when his starting role had been taken, passing up on the chance to sign Trez for the MLE, and then whispering sweet nothings into Dwight's ear to convince him to stay. And then assuming that each of those guys was willing to do that.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
42 years as a Lakers fan and I don’t like this lack of team here…
Feels faux
Longer for me, and for the first time, I don’t care when they lose. I have virtually no favorite players on the team and now I just don’t care.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
The mistake was Russ. Pelinka takes the buddy hield deal and adjusts around the edges on the margin and we are ready for another run.

I think both he and Lebron also take for granted team chemistry. That title team wasn’t just hot in the bubble, they were great all season from day one and prior to the shutdown had taken out both Milwaukee and the Clips.

So Hield and Carusso were going to lead us to a winning record while LeBron missed 8 games?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

BS on that. That was as legit a title as any, and it wasn't a matter of 'getting hot' at the end by any stretch of the imagination. Some people recognize solid defense played right, others see a game of horse with both teams missing I guess.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

So Hield and Carusso were going to lead us to a winning record while LeBron missed 8 games?

If we're evaluating Westbrook based on how this team fares with LeBron sitting, I'd say so far he's a miserable failure costing us $45 million with zero flexibility to fix it. Caruso isn't the only solid defender this team jettisoned either on the way to paying for WB.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Batguano wrote:

If we're evaluating Westbrook based on how this team fares with LeBron sitting, I'd say so far he's a miserable failure costing us $45 million with zero flexibility to fix it. Caruso isn't the only solid defender this team jettisoned either on the way to paying for WB.

You didn't answer my question, though... WITHOUT LeBron for 8 games, would we have a better record with Hield + the players we gave up for Westbrook?
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nice strawman… no one said it was a juggernaut. But it was a contending roster. Started the season 24-3 and were favored to win it all just as the season got suspended. Only team in NBA history not to relinquish a lead going into the 4th quarter. 57-0. We had an identity

This current team hasn’t looked like a contender for a single game.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

My guess is that she's tighter with Rob than she was with Jim.

Jeanie chose Rob over her friend and so-called "brother", Magic Johnson. Sure, people trashed Magic, but he was the only one in the franchise that could check Rob's decision making. Now that Jeanie chose Rob over Magic, Rob is running crazy out there, shooting from the hip, making all sorts of bizarre personnel changes.

Magic served a valuable role; to keep Rob contained and controlled. Jeanie handed the throne to Rob "Littlefinger" Pelinka, and now we are suffering for it.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

You have KCP and a 1st rounder too to make any trades. They will definitely better than the garbage we have right now. You can't do any worse than throwing entire roster in the trash to add WestBrick. Forget about the record, have you seen the teams we lost to?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: