WTF - Smush! Or am I overreacting?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: WTF - Smush! Or am I overreacting?

Smush was quoted in the la times:
Quote:
"Everybody touched the ball, everybody got their shots, everybody was happy," Parker said. "It was fun tonight. I actually smiled while I was playing."

Link: http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers1mar01,1,4110718.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

I'm not one that normally rants...but....Is it me, or is every word out of Smush's mouth some kind of knock against this team? I've read other quotes from Smush before, and it always seems like he wants more touches and more shots and more responsibility. I'm not a Kobe jocker, but he seems to genuinely not like playing with KB8.

He needs to understand that he's a backup talent being asked to be a starter. It's a priviledge and a responsibility and it's not something he deserves.

More importantly he needs to PLAY HARD every single game. Even if he's not touching the ball or making his shots. You'd think that every single Laker would adopt Kobe's work ethic and his "kill'em all" personality. Instead, they're all weak-minded, just like Lamar.

WTF?

That said, I'm glad we won last night and played a team game. I hope this builds more confidence in our young players. We need some semblance of consistency.
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

smush needs to remember his roots..... the d league.
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Smush was smiling because he went a whole game without failing to get the ball over the mid-court line in less than 8 seconds. Way to go Smush!
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I saw smush smiled after he airballed his free throw
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Seems to be a trend with a lot of the players on the roster. If they aren't getting their shots, or their shots aren't dropping they don't play any defense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Shapecity wrote:
Seems to be a trend with a lot of the players on the roster. If they aren't getting their shots, or their shots aren't dropping they don't play any defense.

Smush still didn't play D. Arroyo was pick'n and pop'n Smushes head off.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't think your overreacting. This isn't the first time Smush has had made off-handed criticisms about what he feels is a lack of team play.

Just a few days ago I was listening to him being interviewd on FSW before the game and he made comments about how the previous losses were due to players not playing within the offense.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

John Barry>Smush Parker
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

[quote="jmac78"]Smush was quoted in the la times:
Quote:
"Everybody touched the ball, everybody got their shots, everybody was happy," Parker said. "It was fun tonight. I actually smiled while I was playing."

You are more than overreacting. You are actually reading something into it that is not even there.

He says everyone was happy. How is that not positive?

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SirRunnethOfSoCal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Is Smush Parker a Chucky Atkins impersonator?
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

[quote="PopcornMachine"]
jmac78 wrote:
Quote:

You are more than overreacting. You are actually reading something into it that is not even there.

Ditto.

Completely overreacting.
El Ocho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Smush was smiling because he went a whole game without failing to get the ball over the mid-court line in less than 8 seconds. Way to go Smush!

you have no idea how much this gets me. 8 SECONDS MAN! thats it. if you forget to count to 8 or how much time you have look at Kobe #8. how difficult is this. little 2 year old kids know how to count to 100!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it probably is a thinly veiled jab at how the Lakers don't play as a team at times. Thing is, he's not entirely wrong. You have to admit, the Lakers don't distrubute the ball well much of the time to get everyone involved. We all know Kobe takes the majority of the shots and that can annoy teammates.

That said, I'm not blaming Kobe at all here. Smush needs to recognize the fact that he and the other role players need to get better within the triangle so that they are in a position to get their shots. If they are in the right positions, do the right things, and give it 100% all the time, they will get their looks.

Smush is more playing the victim here. Instead, I'd like to see himhopefully recognize what he did right to get his shots last night and look to repeat that success.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:

El Ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

you have no idea how much this gets me. 8 SECONDS MAN! thats it. if you forget to count to 8 or how much time you have look at Kobe #8. how difficult is this. little 2 year old kids know how to count to 100!

It gets to me so much that I am screaming for Phil to sit the player on the bench for the rest of the game, no matter the situation or player.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Nah, you're not overreacting. Smush is a damn fool. Kobe's message is clear. If you run, hit your shots, and hustle - he'll reward you by setting you up more often. If you play like an idiot on defense, turn the ball over consistently, and don't hit your shots - Kobe's gonna avoid you like the plague. It'll be fun every night if you do what is expected and required to win games.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Yeah, it probably is a thinly veiled jab at how the Lakers don't play as a team at times. .

What?

It's not thinly veiled at all.

Read the statement at face value.

That's all it means.

I'm with COCO!
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Whatever :roll:
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Smush is tremendous. Best Lakers PG since Van Exel, best Lakers PG finisher.........ever.

Get off Smush already. The guy has been a huge surprise and a very big asset to this year's team.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

i think it was a jab.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

sasha > smush
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Smush is the kind of guy that really wants to be a star,he has this hunger to be a stud......I can see him play well enough with Kobe.......You can see him allow Kobe to be Kobe.......He knows just how great Kobe is.....He knows better than to step on the superstars toes......But........

I think there is a certain amount of "envy" to put it mildly.......You can hear it from him for example after the 81 Kobe put up........Smush talked about team "D".....

When Kobe plays more passive like last night,Smush seems more happy,you can see and hear this......It's probably natural,he believes in himself,and with Kobe being less aggressive,it means more shots for guys like him.......

But all in all,he respects Kobe and plays the best he can while fitting into Kobes World.....
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

[quote="PopcornMachine"]
jmac78 wrote:
Quote:

yeah, i think his point is that you can smile when you're winning, whereas the lakers had been losing recently.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Tarzan008 wrote:
Smush is the kind of guy that really wants to be a star,he has this hunger to be a stud......I can see him play well enough with Kobe.......You can see him allow Kobe to be Kobe.......He knows just how great Kobe is.....He knows better than to step on the superstars toes......But........

I think there is a certain amount of "envy" to put it mildly.......You can hear it from him for example after the 81 Kobe put up........Smush talked about team "D".....

When Kobe plays more passive like last night,Smush seems more happy,you can see and hear this......It's probably natural,he believes in himself,and with Kobe being less aggressive,it means more shots for guys like him.......

But all in all,he respects Kobe and plays the best he can while fitting into Kobes World.....

Well he needs to tread lightly lest we ship him off in the summer ala chucky.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I give up.

I'm with COCO!
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Tarzan008 wrote:

i agree with this. and it's not a bad thing that he wants greatness
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: