KINGS -at- LAKERS - 11/26 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: KINGS -at- LAKERS - 11/26 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Triple Overtime... The whole is not greater than the sum of its parts for the Lakers. We knew it wouldn’t be for a while with all the injuries and turnover. But they had their trio of stars tonight against a floundering Kings team and lost in triple overtime.

The Lakers love to hold the ball for an iso into a three ball at the end of regulation. It’s not working, by the way. They did that off a sideline out of bounds sequence to end the game. They have set plays for those sequences, but still held the ball for the long chuck and miss in regulation.

So off to overtime they went once again.

In the first overtime we put the ball in LeBron’s hands in the post on the right side and ran offense through there. Every single play. It worked at first as the Lakers built up the lead, but the Kings reeled them in and tied it up.

We ran a two-man game to get AD a layup off a Russ drive with 9 seconds left. The Kings tied it up with a Hield jumper on the other end over LeBron.

On the inbounds, Bron missed another long three at the buzzer. Double overtime.

In the second overtime, we put the ball in Russ’s hands to run two-man action with AD. They’d work it for a few scores. But on defense the Lakers struggled on their defensive glass, giving up key second-chance buckets.

The Kings had a chance to win it but couldn’t get a shot off with a full 23 seconds remaining. On to triple overtime.

Some self-inflicted wounds in triple overtime. LeBron threw a soft inbounds bounce pass that was picked off for a layup the other way. Shortly later he settled for yet another long three to now go 2-13 from three and missed that. With a Kings scoring again, the Lakers went down by 5 with 2:25 left. Looking tired, they called a timeout. They’d miss another three. Monk would give up a layup the other way, and the Lakers were down 7 and in trouble.

An AD And-1 to cut it 4 off a lob from Russ. Then Russ jumped a passing lane to swipe an inbounds with 23 seconds left, he’d make one to cut it to 3. But the Lakers were in a foul situation and couldn’t reel the Kings in. Despite a Melo three to cut it to 2, the Kings were able to hold on for the 141-137 win.

LeBron -- -- He looked mentally tired to me all game. He settled for a lot of threes stalling the offense out. Defensively, he wasn’t moving around the floor from the start. The ball really died in his hands tonight quite a bit with no movement around him. Once the Kings stopped sending doubles in the post and let Bagley defend that, it slowed the Lakers down. I don’t know why we also didn’t run the inverse-screen plays with Monk as the shooter setting the screen or ghosting them to get open. The team really suffered from tunnel vision tonight. That’s on LeBron and that’s on Vogel. It didn’t feel like LeBron respected the opponent tonight. Huge minutes. This is the type of game you are supposed to deliver a beat down and rest your stars. The Stats: He scored 30 on 10-25 shooting (2-13 from three, 8-11 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 11 assists, 1 steal, 7 turnovers and 4 fouls in 50 minutes. He was a -7.

Davis -- -- He led the Lakers with 9 points on 10 attempts in the first half. He was 0-3 from three, hitting the front rim on all of his attempts in the first half. He’d go 0-5 from three. He and LeBron combined for 2-18 from three. We are doing opponents huge favors settling. AD was awful from the perimeter early on, even missing FTs. It got slightly better, but not an efficient game. Some nice two-man actions from him and Russ. Team-low -16 by AD. Just not dominant. A couple of nice And-1 finishes in overtime, but not scaring anyone in this game. The Stats: He scored 23 points on 9-22 shooting (0-5 from three, 5-8 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 4 assists, 3 steals, 4 blocks, 2 turnovers and 5 fouls in 49 minutes. He was a -16.

Westbrook -- -- He’s coming along lately. I hope that’s just getting more dialed in on his role. Really quiet first half. He sat back a lot and didn’t pressure the rim. He hit a pull-up jumper for his only make, but also airballed one. Just 5 points on 1-6 shooting in the first half. In the third quarter, he picked up the action once again, getting to the line on drives, hitting a couple of threes, and going into the post. The post is where I really would like to see him a little more. He’d get an And-1 around Hield. He’d then draw a double, Dwight would set a pin-in screen on the weakside and that freed up Monk for the wide open three from Russ. The Lakers do not do that enough. Appreciated Russ’s energy tonight when LeBron and AD were really lagging (some nice offensive boards trying to keep us in this late). A triple double with just 3 turnovers from Russ and we still don’t win this. If there’s a silver lining in this game, it’s the two-man action we started to see with AD that worked and again seeing Russ in the post to draw doubles. But again, we seemed to really get tunnel vision and just run one of those again and again at a time, not mixing things up. The Stats: He scored 29 points on 10-18 shooting (2-4 from three, 7-9 from the line) to go with 10 boards (4 offensive), 11 assists, 2 steals, 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in 51 minutes. He was a -4.

Bradley -- -- I’m not sure he should be the guy in when we go with our double-big lineup because of the offense, but he does navigate screens well defensively, which helps when we play DJ. We ran him just 5 minutes before sitting him for the first half as our offense struggled (Kings did, too). The offense dogged again to start the second half and we’d sit DJ early. Avery was able to attack from the corner and get middle for a layup. But his minutes were pretty much shut down to those two shifts. Vogel would bring him back for a defensive sub late in triple overtime (surprised he didn’t go with that earlier, but I don’t think he was thrilled with how were were playing when AB was on court. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 fromt hree) to go with 6 boards and 1 foul in 12 minutes. He was a -1.

Jordan -- -- He had a layup off an interior feed from Bron. He also had an easy dunk against a small in the paint when the bigman left to double AD. Our offense flatlined with him out there, so Vogel limited that tonight. The Stats: He had 4 points on 2-3 shooting to go with 1 board, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 11 minutes. He was a -6.

Anthony -- -- He’d sink a couple threes in the first half. We’d go to him early in the second half for DJ when the offense stagnated again. He’d hit another three off a great passing sequence that started inside-out into a swing-swing to Melo. Love seeing him run step-up screens for Russ. Hate never seeing him get a return pass. Out of a timeout we ran that and Russ just took it into the crowd while Melo was wide open on the pop at the top of the arc. Annoying to see as it limits the effectiveness on their two-man game, which really should be utilized more. Defensively, we kept Melo out there tonight for big minutes at PF. That can’t be our closing lineup defensively. I think we finally sat him when we were down big late in the third OT. Not blaming Melo, he’s done a good job, above what I’ve expected but we need guys who can come up with big defensive plays. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 6-13 shooting (4-9 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 steal and 4 fouls in 43 minutes. He was a +8.

Horton-Tucker -- -- Loved seeing some recognition offensively by THT at the end of the third quarter to reposition himself. He was outside with Russ iso’ing, he cut to the dunker spot and flushed Monk out of there. Russ then found Monk for the open wing three when THT’s man was late on the switch. We have to be very intentional with where we put guys that aren’t floor spacing threats. Overall, though, we need a better game from THT. He had a couple of rim attacks for scores and hit a three, but not a lot of spark out there for the team. We really need a wing stopper to play LeBron at PF. Reaves was available for this game, but appears to be out of the rotation as we try to get THT minutes. But if we are playing Melo that big a number, you really need to either go with THT more or Reaves probably. Maybe even Baze on an offense-defense sub. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-5 shooting (1-3 form three) to go with 5 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 24 minutes. He was a +0.

Howard -- -- Great pin-in screen to free up Monk for a corner three off a Russ post up. No points for Dwight, but the team played well with him out there. He missed a little floater off a two-man sequence. As a team, we didn’t impose our size on the Kings. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting to go with 5 boards, 1 steal and 1 foul in 16 minutes. He was a +8.

Monk -- -- Huge turnover in the final minute of triple overtime. He tried to thread a cross-court advance pass to LeBron and it was picked off. No offense-defense switches with him in this game. Some breakdowns, including a huge layup to Fox to go down 7. But reasonable defensively. Offensively, he was killing it for the team. Early on he set up AD for a couple of floaters, one on an ATO, the other on a SLOB. When they can organize on deadballs, they get into some advantageous two-man actions. He drained four threes tonight. We kind of iced him a bit in overtime. Our off-ball work was really stagnant. We need more purpose to give open looks to shooters when guys are drawing double teams. But I really would have liked to see some two-man action with LeBron and Monk to see if he can pop for a three just to keep him involved. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 8-11 shooting (4-7 from three) to go with 5 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 3 turnovers and 4 fouls in 44 minutes. He was a +2.

Ellington -- -- He swished a corner three on a kickout from LeBRon. He hit a three on the inverse-screen action with LeBron, ghosting it on the rescreen and finding himself open. Defensively, we saw him give up a drive to Hield to force a timeout with 7 minutes left and that probably made Vogel leery of giving him too much exposure. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-2 from three to go with 1 assist, 1 block, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a -4.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Lakers gave up a decent-sized lead in the fourth. They built up a good lead in the first OT and couldn’t sustain that, either. The possessions that really killed me were giving up second chances in that second overtime. Those hurt. So many moments in this one. The Kings just tossed their coach and are 8-12. The Lakers are 10-11, just a couple wins better than that. I like Vogel. He’s a good defensive coach. We need better offensive execution. Fizdale supposedly has that role, which … sigh … I never liked that idea. If they fired Vogel and put Fizdale in place, I’d throw my hands in the air. That would be extra stupid. We really had tunnel vision in this one offensively. Three quarters with 23 points and under. To the Kings.

Key Substitution: I’m not thrilled with having LeBron in the chaser role on Buddy Hield. Really could have gone smaller, move him to the back line in place of Melo and bring in some others defensively. So even though Melo spaces the floor really well, I’d much rather have had LeBron at PF than SF in this one.

Key Stats: First half: Just 21 points combined from our big trio in that half. The Kings shot 5-20 (25%) from three, the Lakers were 5-18 (27.8%). Lakers lost the offensive boards in the first half 8-2 (gave up another 8 in the next have and three OTs). The Lakers would go 10-26 after the half, much better. But 44 threes with LeBron and AD going 2-18 is not great offensive execution.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject:

Seems Lebron is still hampered by his abdomen injury. It's in the injury report and he was grimacing during the game
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject:

Appreciate your write-ups DB, as always. I'm trying to stay patient and positive about this team, and I still think it has a real high ceiling. But something seems off about them emotionally and mentally.

I don't know why they don't jump on teams and murder them when they start building a sizable lead, like championship teams are supposed to.

I hope LeBron is simply holding back and taking it easy because his ab isn't fully healed, and that his lack of attacking the basket has nothing to do with some kind of permanent decline.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject:

Disrespected the Kings

I > Team

Veterans acting like rookies that rely on ISOs

Big Game is suggesting that Vogel send in specific plays at the end of where all the players are moving
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Just another sequence of ho-hum basketball. Until something changes, they are basically an average NBA squad, playing average NBA basketball, leading to average NBA results.

10-11.

p.s. I cannot recall the last time I saw a team I followed be so poor in maintaining leads, especially versus "presumably" lesser opponents (a designation becoming harder to justify these days). On the broadcast I think Stu just threw it out there the Lakers likely have a reputation of shooting themselves in the foot, just hang around and you got a shot.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for another excellent write up.

As for the game - ugh.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject:

It is fascinating that LB and AD don’t trust the players they asked Rob to bring in - lol
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
It is fascinating that LB and AD don’t trust the players they asked Rob to bring in - lol
from my pov it seems like they are being selfish wanting to be the hero moreso than trust.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Wasn’t able to watch this one. Never thought I’d wake up to a loss.
This team is a disaster.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject:

So three healthy stars still not enough to beat a coachless lottery team at home? This team is basura
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject:

Wonder at what point they will scrap the 3 point love fest and pace/space offense and go with what worked for them 2 years ago?

Having an advantage over the league like Lebron/AD and you have them sit outside and shoot 2-18 from 3? You play at a high speed so that when AD/Bron get into the halcourt they can't use their elite post/mid-range games?

This is not how we won. We all know the defensive limitations.

Even then, there was a lead and the game should have been closed out. It was a lack of focus and urgency. This team is just a group of guys happy to be in LA, happy to be making money and being together. They're not focused to win a ring and getting that #1 seed, like we saw a few years ago.

It is what it is, the talent is there, and Bron will change his mentality in the playoffs (or play ins!) and AD will be more aggressive in the playoffs, but in the end Rob needs to make moves, and the coaches need to evaluate whether scoring a lot of points at a high pace but without effecient offense is really the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

I actually thought this was not the disaster everyone is making it into. Things came more into focus. Let’s not have any delusions of AD and LBJ being stretch threats. Westbrook is getting more comfortable at PG. Monk seems to be their best option at the 2. We have a better idea of the rotational players. The team now has to find a way to gel offensively and defensively. Don’t expect any acquisition to change the identity of this team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

Sacramento certainly loved Monk at the 2, in OT they targeted him often for some easy scores. The Kings aren’t a good team and made some bone headed plays but those were matched. Unfortunately home court hasn’t been much of an advantage.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
I actually thought this was not the disaster everyone is making it into. Things came more into focus. Let’s not have any delusions of AD and LBJ being stretch threats. Westbrook is getting more comfortable at PG. Monk seems to be their best option at the 2. We have a better idea of the rotational players. The team now has to find a way to gel offensively and defensively. Don’t expect any acquisition to change the identity of this team.
The question is the continuing missed assignments (tolerable) and the lack of leadership that set standards of accountability of energy, effort and focus

These Lakers are turning into the Clippers where all teams look forward to getting guaranteed wins, even from terrible teams missing key starters

Maybe we found a lineup where Melo can the most effective

Maybe having Reeves, Monk and THT on the floor at the same time will bring hunger, effort and drive to their playing
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Wonder at what point they will scrap the 3 point love fest and pace/space offense and go with what worked for them 2 years ago?

Having an advantage over the league like Lebron/AD and you have them sit outside and shoot 2-18 from 3? You play at a high speed so that when AD/Bron get into the halcourt they can't use their elite post/mid-range games?

Even then, there was a lead and the game should have been closed out. It was a lack of focus and urgency. This team is just a group of guys happy to be in LA, happy to be making money and being together. They're not focused to win a ring and getting that #1 seed, like we saw a few years ago.

It is what it is, the talent is there, and Bron will change his mentality in the playoffs (or play ins!) and AD will be more aggressive in the playoffs, but in the end Rob needs to make moves, and the coaches need to evaluate whether scoring a lot of points at a high pace but without effecient offense is really the way to go.

I don’t expect AD to return to shooting like the Bubble, but even his midrange this year is not elite. His jumper is awful.

The worries with LeBron are him not attacking offensively. Last night defensively I think he just looked tired from the start. But this is why you probably need Reaves on the floor … you’ve got to have that extra hustle around your stars. AC and KCP’s motors are missed. They gave you that sense of urgency.

If AD wants a 10-game win streak, we need him to find his jumper or reel in the attempts (1-12 or something like that on jumper last night). LeBron needs to find the rim more. The team needs to play with that sense of urgency we see only on occasion because of personnel. Russ seems to be cutting down the turnovers which were the other big problem.
michaelg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

It’s the team’s mentality that’s killing us. Whenever we put a solid stretch of ball together, we start taking plays off instead of crushing the other team. On offense we stop moving around and settle into iso ball and jacking up threes. On defense we stop moving our feet, start reaching for silly fouls and stop boxing out the rebounders on the other side. We make lazy and low IQ mistakes. It’s happened in most games this season whether we won or lost. You can see our talent on the floor, it’s obvious, but NBA teams are not going to just quit trying just because we’ve got four HOFers out there. If anything it motivates them more.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I don’t expect AD to return to shooting like the Bubble, but even his midrange this year is not elite. His jumper is awful.

The worries with LeBron are him not attacking offensively. Last night defensively I think he just looked tired from the start. But this is why you probably need Reaves on the floor … you’ve got to have that extra hustle around your stars. AC and KCP’s motors are missed. They gave you that sense of urgency.

If AD wants a 10-game win streak, we need him to find his jumper or reel in the attempts (1-12 or something like that on jumper last night). LeBron needs to find the rim more. The team needs to play with that sense of urgency we see only on occasion because of personnel. Russ seems to be cutting down the turnovers which were the other big problem.

expecting anything from bron defensively outside of the tiny stretch here and there is not going to happen.

He is who is is. old, powerful with decent range.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

There's nothing like staying up until 2 am on the east coast to watch them lose in triple-overtime.

Thanks for writing it up, DB. You're a better person than I am.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Seems Lebron is still hampered by his abdomen injury. It's in the injury report and he was grimacing during the game

Maybe he should throw that TONAL machine into the Pacific
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I hate that we're such a vulnerable team. Bad teams come to LA with a ton of confidence, knowing all they need are young legs and energy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

expecting anything from bron defensively outside of the tiny stretch here and there is not going to happen.

We saw some good defense from Lebron in the 4th/OT last night. I agree that those minutes will be sparse but it was good to see the effort in crunch time.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

We saw some good defense from Lebron in the 4th/OT last night. I agree that those minutes will be sparse but it was good to see the effort in crunch time.
Lebron seemed tired at the end of the 3OT. He stated that they were open shots. Given his age and the minutes he played in this game (plus his shooting percentage in this game), Kings can live with him taking that shot, especially since the Lakers were not able to get stops. Tired players rather take deep outside shots

The mentality, leadership and lack of accountability is of the greatest concern. Watching LBJ pound the bar with no weak side movement, this is Hero Ball. One of Caruso’s greatest strengths is that he is always moving - hence the need for players like Reeves

Big Game James stated that maybe Vogel should have a designated play be used for crunch time opportunities. Steven A is amazingly think that he will be on the Hot Seat. In the real world, how many HC will tell LBJ to stop Hero Ball (his choice) and run a designated play - lol!!!

Vogel seems to have found a foundation that would maximize Melo’s talent that includes having Monk and THT on the floor at the same time

Wondering when Vogel will use DJ like how Utah is using Gobert for the short stints that he is playing

Dwight is playing with good energy that is seemingly always needed with this team

If AD wants to be The Face of the Lakers, when will he have the Mamba Mentality?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: