I'm sick and tired of ex-Laker in our front office
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: I'm sick and tired of ex-Laker in our front office

other than kissing up to Jeannie Buss and generate drama, what accomplishment have they brought? Why can't a world class team like the freaking Lakers hire a qualified outsider to run the team for a change. I guess the Buss family only knows to hire from within, time to sell the team.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject:

Referrals always trump outside hires in any corporation.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

Nostalgia. Jeanie misses the golden days of yesteryear, when Doc Buss was doing the heavy work, with his bevy of young harlots surrounding him, and the Lakers were winning easily every season, and she was fluffing about winking at Phil Jackson and spending daddy's money. Having ex Lakers from that era keeps the connection alive.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

Having ex-Lakers making decisions has produced multiple championships, including Jerry West as a GM, Mitch Kupchek as Asst. GM, and Pat Riley as head coach. Does Kurt Rambis get any credit for the 2020 chip?

It's not all or nothing... Magic, B. Scott, and Luke Walton flamed out in their roles. Each is to be judged as individuals.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject:

Technically, Pelinka isn't a former Laker. He was an agent for a former Laker. Nepotism can be good if your friends and relatives are smart. Obviously, thats not the case with the Lakers. Jeanie is probably going thru her friend's list to see who she could replace Pelinka with.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Technically, Pelinka isn't a former Laker. He was an agent for a former Laker. Nepotism can be good if your friends and relatives are smart. Obviously, thats not the case with the Lakers. Jeanie is probably going thru her friend's list to see who she could replace Pelinka with.

i believe the Pelinka hire had strong Kobe influence, so i'd group him with the ex-Lakers as well.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

Rambis sucks. He needs to go before Vogel.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

then who's going to remind Jeannie Buss she's the greatest owner ever lived?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

The Rambis are pratically part owners so it's safe to say that as long as Jeanie is in charge, they'll be around. Jeanie is valuing loyalty way too much. It's like she has trust issues.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

It's the Lakers way. Bill Sherman was an ex Laker, Jerry West was an ex Laker, Mitch was an ex Laker.

The difference with them and now is Bill Sherman mentored Jerry West, Jerry West mentored Mitch. Nobody mentored Rob. Jeanie is just hiring people she trust, not necessarily people that would do a good job. Treating the Lakers like a mom and pop shop. You have to have a good eye for talent that could run front office. Understand their character, drive, what they can accomplish. Jerry Buss had those instincts, Jeanie Buss doesn't. Jeanie also doesn't oversee everything; like Jerry Buss did. Jeanie came out and said she has no idea about the basketball side of things. She just trust Rob and possibly Klutch to do a good job. She just signs off on it, without challenging it; like Jerry West had to do with Jerry Buss. West had to convince Buss it was a good idea.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

then who's going to remind Jeannie Buss she's the greatest owner ever lived?

Linda Rambis.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

i am sick of the Buss family in general.
i hope there won't be a day when Lakers players are getting booed at the Rams or dodgers games instead of the clippers, but the clippers has a deep pocket owner with vision and is committed to winning at all cost. when their Intuit dome goes into working, the Lakers better look out.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
It's the Lakers way. Bill Sherman was an ex Laker, Jerry West was an ex Laker, Mitch was an ex Laker.

The difference with them and now is Bill Sherman mentored Jerry West, Jerry West mentored Mitch. Nobody mentored Rob. Jeanie is just hiring people she trust, not necessarily people that would do a good job. Treating the Lakers like a mom and pop shop. You have to have a good eye for talent that could run front office. Understand their character, drive, what they can accomplish. Jerry Buss had those instincts, Jeanie Buss doesn't. Jeanie also doesn't oversee everything; like Jerry Buss did. Jeanie came out and said she has no idea about the basketball side of things. She just trust Rob and possibly Klutch to do a good job. She just signs off on it, without challenging it; like Jerry West had to do with Jerry Buss. West had to convince Buss it was a good idea.

I would also add, I actually don't mind Kurt Rambis in the front office. It's Jeanie, Rob, Phil, and Linda Rambis that concerns me. Rob, I think would actually excel if he had a good mentor.

Last edited by Outspoken on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
i hope there won't be a day when Lakers players are getting booed at the Rams or dodgers games instead of the clippers, but the clippers has a deep pocket owner with vision and is committed to winning at all cost. when their Intuit dome goes into working, the Lakers better look out.

they invested their money in a guy who has degenerative leg issues. They signed him knowing he's out for the year. they paid another star who literally has a nickname called pandemic P. just last playoffs he choked the biggest FT of his career. they traded a ton of assets.

money isn't the only thing. they have to hope KL comes back healthy and hope the issues he's had for the last 4 or so years magically disappear. Because if not they are more screwed than us in regards to trades.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

i totally agree with you, but unfortunately you and I will get burn here for saying this. good front office never reminiscing the old past, no matter how glorify that was. to be honest, outside of the bubble title (which lacks legitimacy) this team has been crap since the Kobe Gasol days. i am too wish we can have an owner who has deep pocket, willing to pay top $$$ for everything from front office, to head coach to medical and training staff down to the janitors.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

i totally agree with you, but unfortunately you and I will get burn here for saying this. good front office never reminiscing the old past, no matter how glorify that was. to be honest, outside of the bubble title (which lacks legitimacy) this team has been crap since the Kobe Gasol days. i am too wish we can have an owner who has deep pocket, willing to pay top $$$ for everything from front office, to head coach to medical and training staff down to the janitors.

You just need Jeanie to conform to the ways of spending. Understand it takes money, to make money. I don't think Jeanie would conform to those ways, same as having Linda and Phil around. These individuals, I feel are more of a detriment than people that add to the front office. I mean Jeanie wouldn't even hire Jerry West, an ex successful Laker to mentor Rob because she is (allegedly) holding a grudge against him. So maybe a change in ownership is essential or someone that know what they are doing from the Buss family grab reigns.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

they invested their money in a guy who has degenerative leg issues. They signed him knowing he's out for the year. they paid another star who literally has a nickname called pandemic P. just last playoffs he choked the biggest FT of his career. they traded a ton of assets.

money isn't the only thing. they have to hope KL comes back healthy and hope the issues he's had for the last 4 or so years magically disappear. Because if not they are more screwed than us in regards to trades.

not saying they are going to do it soon, but 20 years down the road or something like that, it takes a long time to build a tradition. KL and PG are not going to do it.
let me ask you this, would Jeanie sign a guy who has degenerative leg issues? would Ballmer sign AC given the same situation? would Jeanie pay 174 mil tax in order to keep Wiggins(as an example)? you know the answer to all these.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I remember seeing an interview with Jeannie... it's not about yesteryear nostalgia so much as it is about trust. Linda Rambis is one of her closest friends and she trusts the Rambis' to have her back completely. That probably goes a long way considering she couldn't even trust her own brother.

I'm not saying this is good or bad or that it's working. I'm just saying it's understandable to me.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I remember seeing an interview with Jeannie... it's not about yesteryear nostalgia so much as it is about trust. Linda Rambis is one of her closest friends and she trusts the Rambis' to have her back completely. That probably goes a long way considering she couldn't even trust her own brother.

I'm not saying this is good or bad or that it's working. I'm just saying it's understandable to me.

this is the problem. she has trust issue. i don't understand if why she would have to worry about trust when hire someone else outside of organization. is that person going to pull the rug under her and commit a coup to steal her ownership? it sounds ridiculous right.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

Trust is based on familiarity. We forget that Dr. Buss ran this franchise, successfully, for several years. I'm sure she reflects on those years as being highly successful. As such, she draws the connection to that and to what is present day, perhaps feeling that if she hold on to the icons of the successful years, then she will be safe. She tapped into Magic as icon of the successful 80's. She tapped into Pelinka, via Kobe and his success in the past. That's why I meant by her being nostalgic.

That said, if she has issues with trust, then she may be too emotionally fragile to run a multimillion dollar franchise.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:

this is the problem. she has trust issue. i don't understand if why she would have to worry about trust when hire someone else outside of organization. is that person going to pull the rug under her and commit a coup to steal her ownership? it sounds ridiculous right.

No it doesn't entirely make sense to me either. I mean I guess Pelinka is technically an outside hire (??? sort of). But yeah, it would seem like someone just hired to do a job would be less likely to try to stunt. But she likes to roll with her homies, apparently... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:

As a business owner myself, I don't know how TF one can operate a business with trust issues. It's mind-boggling.

Team is a complete (bleep) show and she's avoided the backlash far too long. No more interviews that start with "Well my Dad used to..." Seriously.you're 60. 60!!!!! Move t F on.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:

As a business owner myself, I don't know how TF one can operate a business with trust issues. It's mind-boggling.

Team is a complete (bleep) show and she's avoided the backlash far too long. No more interviews that start with "Well my Dad used to..." Seriously.you're 60. 60!!!!! Move t F on.

scary thing is more older she gets more senile she's gonna be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

The Rambis are pratically part owners so it's safe to say that as long as Jeanie is in charge, they'll be around. Jeanie is valuing loyalty way too much. It's like she has trust issues.

Jeanie has NBA knowledge issues. All she has is her small circle of friends and wouldn’t know how to go about hiring someone from outside to run the team. I would actually trust Kurt doing that more than her.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

Jeanie has NBA knowledge issues. All she has is her small circle of friends and wouldn’t know how to go about hiring someone from outside to run the team. I would actually trust Kurt doing that more than her.

don't kid yourself (that's if you're an actual Laker fan and is sincerely care about this topic), Kurt got his gig via his wife Linda who is Jeannie's BFF. so i would not hold much hope on Kurt Rambis. he came off as an arse kisser to me as well, going back to the phil jackson days
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: