Smush: Losses due to bad team chemistry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

Smush has been a pleasant surprise.

Who do you want? Fisher? Are you going to pay him that contract.

The bottom line is that we are a bad team and will be one for the next few years.

Get used to it.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:
And 1 wrote:
JD wrote:
Smush's problem is that he's a role player that thinks he's a team leader.

IMO, Smush's problem is that he's a role player trying too hard to step into the leadership vacuum created by the player who announced that he wanted to be a leader but has assumed the position of a role-player.

I too agree. Smush wanting to be a leader isnt a bad thing. At least hes taking some of the onus. Imagine if others at least pretended they wanted to lead
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

Coca James wrote:
Cook and Kobe get along...and have tremendous confidence in their game

Lamar is too passive to hate kobe... plus he is constantly looking for that Waldo gig post bball

George is despondent as usual

Kwame has issues.... serious mental issues

Turiaf has an excellent attitude that inspires...no one obviously

Sasha gets too butt hurt all the time

McKie is committing robbery

Smush is the only guy that plays street ball that has average handles and thinks hes better than he is

Walton has been crap since Rudy T broke his confidence

Slava still sux azz livin off the few games Malone missed

Mihm thinks Vince Young is smart...

Bynum WANTS to play... but he cant cuz hes still learning

Wafer shoots 33%........... in the d league!

Devin Green needs BOTOX real bad... his forehead is all scrunched up!!

Kupchak couldnt make a deal on "Lets make a Deal"

Jim Buss is too busy doing interviews about the Bunny Ranch and how he pays for 5 women at a time

Jerry Buss has become frugal

Jeanie is just happy that phil is around again

and Phil is gettin laid everyday ... good organization right about now...

Post of the year nominee
Laker328
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:

As I said earlier this year Smush is this years Chucky
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:
And 1 wrote:
JD wrote:
Smush's problem is that he's a role player that thinks he's a team leader.

IMO, Smush's problem is that he's a role player trying too hard to step into the leadership vacuum created by the player who announced that he wanted to be a leader but has assumed the position of a role-player.

Though Smush deserves his fair amount of criticism, I can't help but think that there's more to the venom this kid is experiencing.

Displacement: Psychiatry. A psychological defense mechanism in which there is an unconscious shift of emotions, affect, or desires from the original object to a more acceptable or immediate substitute.

Forced to start despite being a street FA signed for the minimum, Smush is the "more acceptable or immediate substitute" for fans to vent their ire upon.

But I have to wonder if a lot of the criticism I see going towards Smush isn't more of a reflection of the frustration caused by another player who, despite being a veteran and making superstar money, is underachieving in a system he was supposed to flourish in.
Narziss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

Lamar Odom would like to extend his thanks to all of you for directing your attention towards someone else for a change. He will be buying dinner for Smush tonight.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Laker328 wrote:
As I said earlier this year Smush is this years Chucky

No he is like a better version of Tierre Brown.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

not every night, not even every other night do we ask LO to score more than 20. When his RBs are under 10 and his asst. are "whatever" can he at least step up and give us 22pts. We win last night if he scores that.

We all see Kobes ast. going up. Why? b/c PJ has decided LO is too much of an idiot to dribble the ball up court. So not only doesnt LO score. He no longer facilitates. He is a one trick effen pony. Even that he got us only 8 last night. he is the wrong player at the wrong time
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

Bad chemistry starts with the NY buddies (Lamar and Smush). Their lack of energy, casual demeanor and stupidity is pretty obvious. The Lakers f'ed up big time, by not trading for Artest.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

gdballa03 wrote:
Smush can't hit a freethrow, get the ball across half court in 8 seconds, and talk without seeming like he's reading what he's saying from a card...

Here's one way to change it, get rid of you! SMUSH SUCKS!

bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

Narziss wrote:
I think you guys are jumping to conclusions. You're taking a quote, probably out of context, and applying fears and paranoia to it. It's certainly not unlike an NBA player to use incorrect terms or bad grammar when answering questions. By team chemistry he could have easily meant "we haven't learned the system well enough to mesh perfectly yet." A message expressed by Kobe and Phil constantly. They just came off another frustrating loss in a bad stretch of the season. They're tired, frustrated and probably without the care or desire to measure every word they choose to speak.

maybe.. it certianly doesnt help when the 2 best players on the team DONT compliment each other.
This is a mismatched roster w/ holes @ both ends of the court. Hard to develop chemistry.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
Narziss wrote:
I think you guys are jumping to conclusions. You're taking a quote, probably out of context, and applying fears and paranoia to it. It's certainly not unlike an NBA player to use incorrect terms or bad grammar when answering questions. By team chemistry he could have easily meant "we haven't learned the system well enough to mesh perfectly yet." A message expressed by Kobe and Phil constantly. They just came off another frustrating loss in a bad stretch of the season. They're tired, frustrated and probably without the care or desire to measure every word they choose to speak.

maybe.. it certianly doesnt help when the 2 best players on the team DONT compliment each other.
This is a mismatched roster w/ holes @ both ends of the court. Hard to develop chemistry.

Yeah even Shaq called Kobe the greatest of all time. The reporter then asked "what about Michael Jordan?" Shaq responded, "What about him?"
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Did we ever try to trade Shaq for Marion and Amare?
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

This is one Laker fan who is not interested in trying to interpret what was going thru Smush's mind when he made the "team chemistry" remark.

The bottom line is the comment just looks bad, and Phil Jackson ought to punk slap him into next week. The Lakers have done a good job this season not having a bunch of dirty laundry thrown around the media. You can bet your bottom dollar that this knucklehead's comment, whatever he meant, will be bludgeoned to death by the media in due course.

Smush would be well advised to learn what to do with the ball late in close games, where his poor decision-making has cost his team dearly in its last two losses, rather than issuing post-game proclamations to the media following said debacles.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

Guys, we're totally over-analyzing Smush here.

Just listen to the guy.
He is NOT capable of making subtle jabs and drop ambiguously negative comments.

If he was unhappy with Kobe or something like that, we'd probably hear it in the form of:
"Smush unhappy with Kobe. He bad."
rather than:
"It was bad spacing by the team."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Lamar Odom even reasoned that Kobe Bryant should shoot the ball 40 or 50 times a game because nobody else is doing his job.

looks like its not an issues with kobe this time.

How could it be? Kobe has been bending over backwards to get these guys their touches and shots. He has been a perfect teammate.

As for Smush, there was a play last night where he and DG were on a break. DG pulled up inside the free throw line and drained the jumper. Smush was under the basket with this arms up waiting for the pass. The way he threw his arms down really caught my attention. I watched the play several more times, and I am sure Smush was disgusted with DG for taking the shot. In my opinion, DG was right in shooting the ball. Maybe there are players on the team who think they should be more involved in the offense. My advice to them, play some freakin defense first, then we can talk about offense.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

I think there's some truth to his statement - they are screaming at each other, shaking their heads, rolling their eyes, not hustling and slumping their shoulders after a turnover, etc. during the course of the game. Even during timeouts there is at least one starter staring into space . . .

They have serious issues.

I think the post-Washington loss meltdown was just a preview.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

Another thing that might interest Smush would be to improve his horrendous free throw shooting. He is tossing up bricks from the charity stripe at a .649 clip as we speak. That is absolutely PATHETIC. His masonry in the fourth period of the Boston game was particularly galling.

I won't attack his non-defense right now since the entire squad seems to specialize in sucking in that area of the game.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
guys....in 2 years smush isn't going to be on the lakers anymore. this is what we call "limbo".

having said that...the dude is right. there's no team defense and no triangle execution.

He's the main culprit on both parts. How often do you see Smush make an extra, decisive pass as if it's second-nature to him to thrown the extra swing pass? Never.

As Sky always said, "team D starts at the 1. Without a defender at 1, the D breaks down." Smush is JUST as bad on D as Chucky Atkins, except Smush will get a steal every now and then and go do his "cool AWESOME DUNKS!!!! YEAH!!! "
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Narziss wrote:
Lamar Odom would like to extend his thanks to all of you for directing your attention towards someone else for a change. He will be buying dinner for Smush tonight.

This thread isn't over yet and, those who love to do Lamar have actually got a dig in here, and there...
mike_kb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject:

The quote is taken out of context.

Quote:
"It's not coming together offensively or defensively - most importantly, defensively," Lakers guard Smush Parker said. "We're not playing as a team right now. I don't know how to change it."
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
da ocho wrote:
guys....in 2 years smush isn't going to be on the lakers anymore. this is what we call "limbo".

having said that...the dude is right. there's no team defense and no triangle execution.

He's the main culprit on both parts. How often do you see Smush make an extra, decisive pass as if it's second-nature to him to thrown the extra swing pass? Never.

Sorry, but we've already got too many players making "extra" passes. Someone, besides Kobe, has got to step up and take the open shot. I'm glad that Smush has responded in that aspect because, lord knows, Lamar can't get the ball out of his hands quick enough.

Quote:
As Sky always said, "team D starts at the 1. Without a defender at 1, the D breaks down." Smush is JUST as bad on D as Chucky Atkins, except Smush will get a steal every now and then and go do his "cool AWESOME DUNKS!!!! YEAH!!! "

You're right.
RedSnapper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Sorry

When I saw that "Team Chemistry ... I don't know how you change it." quote, the first thing I thought of was personnel decisions ala front office/GM/Ownership.

If I was going to try to pin that comment on anyone, I'd think this:

Kwame Brown = Elden Campbell
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

What a suprise?

And1 twisting a Smush thread into a Lamar hate thread.

Hmm ... Agenda anyone?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

It sucks that everyone's jumping on smush here for speaking his mind - what he said isn't detrimental to the team like a sarcastic chucky or a crazy artest. Since when is it healthy to shout down someone who is pointing out something that is clearly wrong. How can you argue that something is wrong when we're losing to the Blazers?

That said, instead of saying he didn't know how to fix things, I wish Smush would have said everyone needs to do a better job with defensive intensity and learning the triangle. It's clear people still don't know where they need to be on a consistent basis. Once they have that down, they'll be able to figure out how/when to get their shots and the "chemistry" issue will be solved. Once they start to bring it more on D, they'll stop losing to the likes of the Blazers. The whole team needs to quit playing the victim and step up and take some responsibility.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: