Smush is a horrible defender
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Smush is a horrible defender

He's giving up 18.4 opponent PER which is just about the worst defensive rating in the league at PG. (Save for Sucky Atkins). In comparison androgynous euro Sasha only gives up 13.6.

If I was the coach Smush would be glued to the pine until he learned to contest a shot.

http://www.82games.com/0506/0506LAL.HTM
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Smush is a horrible defender

uberzev wrote:
He's giving up 18.4 opponent PER which is just about the worst defensive rating in the league at PG. (Save for Sucky Atkins). In comparison androgynous euro Sasha only gives up 13.6.

If I was the coach Smush would be glued to the pine until he learned to contest a shot.

Between Fisher, Atkins and Smush, the Lakers have employed some of the worst defensive PG in the history of the modern NBA....and then we wonder about defense.
Endure 12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

Sasha annoys Pg's aswell, that has to be a plus!
showtimelakers04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Smush is a horrible defender

OdomX2 wrote:
uberzev wrote:

Between Fisher, Atkins and Smush, the Lakers have employed some of the worst defensive PG in the history of the modern NBA....and then we wonder about defense.

At least fish tries to play defense. Chucky and smush seem like they just dont give a damn.
Seriously, why have we gone this long without really addressing this problem?? This isnt something that just happened this year. Its been happening every year for at least the past 10 years. Its like the FO doesnt even notice
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

I know someone, somewhere up there in the Laker organization, looks at his steal stats, sits back, and proclaims:

"Man, we sure got lucky to find ourselves such a GREAT defender as a FA in the summer league!"
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

Endure 12 wrote:
Sasha annoys Pg's aswell, that has to be a plus!

does he "torment" them as well?

i think sasha and smush annoy ME more than they annoy their opponents.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

It's Smush's "casualness" that kinda bugs me.

When he gets beat, the look on his face is as if he really doesn't care - like he says, "oh well, there goes another one getting by me. He wasn't the first, he won't be the last." Of course, it doesn't help that he doesn't AUTOMATICALLY rotate over to help the helper. Once you get beat, "helping the helper" should be ingrained in his muscle memory.

But the most obvious example of his casual attitude is his inability to bring the ball up in under 8 seconds.

He's just so... casual.
Hov
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:

When he gets beat, the look on his face is as if he really doesn't care - like he says, "oh well, there goes another one getting by me. He wasn't the first, he won't be the last." Of course, it doesn't help that he doesn't AUTOMATICALLY rotate over to help the helper. Once you get beat, "helping the helper" should be ingrained in his muscle memory.

But the most obvious example of his casual attitude is his inability to bring the ball up in under 8 seconds.

He's just so... casual.

Yeah, it looks like he has Lamar syndrome.

I mean, I'm sure they do care, especially since Smush doesn't make as much money compared to regular NBA players, but the expressions they make make you wonder sometime if they're giving their all or not.
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

Hov wrote:
B_P wrote:

He's just so... casual.

Yeah, it looks like he has Lamar syndrome.

I mean, I'm sure they do care, especially since Smush doesn't make as much money compared to regular NBA players, but the expressions they make make you wonder sometime if they're giving their all or not.

You would think he would be a little hungrier after being bounced around the league a couple of times, and facing waivers.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

^^ wasn't this his problem in Cleveland??

IIRC, didn't his coach (I think it was Silas) say that he had this attitude that he was a star player? That he was the "ish?"

Anyone remember that?

It's funny, because I was reading his article in SLAM (Shaq/Wade cover) about how humble and thankful he is - how he's out to prove everyone wrong - that he DOES deserve to be in the L. How he won't be happy until he gets a multi-year deal - and until that day, he'll continue to work and try to prove he belongs.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:

From what I see the guy just gambles too much and doesn't know how to handle the pick&roll. Which is coincidently the biggest problem the Lakers are having.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

What is sad is that we know Smush can defend, he just chooses not to sometimes. Last night, the whole team would defend well for 18 seconds, then slack off and allow a good shot.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

Smush is incompetent on the defensive end. I am pleased with his offense, but his bonehead play last night really pissed me off. Then he blames team chemistry. Ha! Smush, with the game on the line you don't dribble into three defenders. You give the ball to Kobe, and then get open in case he sends it back. It is that simple.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:

He's just so... casual.

or like when he casually picked up his dribble just over the half court line with no one around him, and then casually walked forward 4 or 5 steps for the most obvious and by far the STUPIDEST TRAVEL I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. i have mellowed out a lot watching laker games over the years, but that play shot me straight back to high school and had me jumping and screaming cuss words at the TV.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Smush is a horrible defender

OdomX2 wrote:
uberzev wrote:

PLEASE do not put Fisher into that group. He had some defensive liabilities to be sure. Speedy point gaurds gave him all kinds of trouble. But then speedy point guards are very hard to defend. Fisher made up for his defensive liabilities by hustling, playing good team defense, and being one of the best guys ever at sacrificing his body to draw the charge. Fisher was not a great defender. But he was hardly a poor defender. Better than average, I'd say.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

Smush doesn't make open shots consistently and Smush doesn't play hard all of the time, he is not a professional. Phil must be hating this guy more then us.

I never trusted Smush as our starting PG. Sasha is not ready. Its not a BIG shock that we are 29-29 bc WE DONT HAVE A PG MITCH YOU IDIOT PIECE OF S...YOUR PATHETIC GET A CLUE....JUST DO US ALL A FAVOR A QUIT.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:
Smush doesn't make open shots consistently and Smush doesn't play hard all of the time, he is not a professional. Phil must be hating this guy more then us.

I never trusted Smush as our starting PG. Sasha is not ready. Its not a BIG shock that we are 29-29 bc WE DONT HAVE A PG MITCH YOU IDIOT PIECE OF S...YOUR PATHETIC GET A CLUE....JUST DO US ALL A FAVOR A QUIT.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ti-oc-tf-cr
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Where are the people wholike to tell everyone how important it is to have such a GREAT, WORLD-CLASS athlete at the PG position like Smush? I mean, have you seen Smush's DUNKS this season? They're soo cool.

Like I've said, starters are able to give you the same type of game 4 out of every 5 nights. Smush doesn't give us anything consistently 4 out of 5 nights, not even EFFORT. (Which coming from a guy who can't even get a job in the NBA for most of his career is APALLING)

We know Sasha will at least give his all. Smush will give it his ALL only when it makes him look better, such as with his "cool dunks!!! OOH!!! AW!!!! "
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Where are the people wholike to tell everyone how important it is to have such a GREAT, WORLD-CLASS athlete at the PG position like Smush? I mean, have you seen Smush's DUNKS this season? They're soo cool.

Like I've said, starters are able to give you the same type of game 4 out of every 5 nights. Smush doesn't give us anything consistently 4 out of 5 nights, not even EFFORT. (Which coming from a guy who can't even get a job in the NBA for most of his career is APALLING)

We know Sasha will at least give his all. Smush will give it his ALL only when it makes him look better, such as with his "cool dunks!!! OOH!!! AW!!!! "

your sign is hilarious
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

your sign is hilarious

Huh? My sign?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
androgynous euro

LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject:

i like smush...im a smush defender!!!! he is lax on defense sometimes...but who on the lakers isnt. FOr all his faults....name other lakers who dont have the same/worse faults. On offense smush is pretty consistant...when given opportunities he usually capitalizes unlike lamar, kwame, sasha. On defense he gambles...like kobe. What he needs is time. Honestly i think smush and kobe will make a great backcourt next year. When they both pick up their intensity....the wreak havoc on the other team. Phil messes that up by putting 40ft foul in..(sasha) who still doesnt want to shoot a layup...at 6 ft 7! how could u want to start a guard who is scared to death to finish shots??
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
I Agree! His lackadaisel approach from not even contesting every shot, lazy/flat passes that get intercepted, etc.

There are other Lakers who aren't lax on defense, such as DGeorge, Sasha, Tufiaff, etc. It appears that his gambling is his attempt to compensate for his lack of effort. In addition, Smush is not consistent on offense when he disappears for long periods of time. Sasha, for his present deficiences, gives 100% effort on offense AND defense. PJ giving DGreen PT is his attempt to find somebody else to give 100% effort on both sides of the court. Sasha and Smush are both young guards who are learning on the fly and under the scrutiny of the Laker fans.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:

we have too many guys who look like their on crack 24/7, odom,kwame,smush..
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:

smush always tries to get the steal.. he doesn't keep his hands up
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: