Smush is a horrible defender
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
B_P wrote:
It's Smush's "casualness" that kinda bugs me.
When he gets beat, the look on his face is as if he really doesn't care - like he says, "oh well, there goes another one getting by me. He wasn't the first, he won't be the last." Of course, it doesn't help that he doesn't AUTOMATICALLY rotate over to help the helper. Once you get beat, "helping the helper" should be ingrained in his muscle memory.
But the most obvious example of his casual attitude is his inability to bring the ball up in under 8 seconds.
I Agree! His lackadaisel approach from not even contesting every shot, lazy/flat passes that get intercepted, etc.

There are other Lakers who aren't lax on defense, such as DGeorge, Sasha, Tufiaff, etc. It appears that his gambling is his attempt to compensate for his lack of effort. In addition, Smush is not consistent on offense when he disappears for long periods of time. Sasha, for his present deficiences, gives 100% effort on offense AND defense. PJ giving DGreen PT is his attempt to find somebody else to give 100% effort on both sides of the court. Sasha and Smush are both young guards who are learning on the fly and under the scrutiny of the Laker fans.

YES! I forgot about his flat passing angles and his inability (or reluctance) to get his hands up and contest jumpers - especially when closing out.

Man, those flat passes kill me. To me, in basketball (and in every you do), rule #1 is READ THE D. Just be aware of what's going on around you and make smart decisions accordingly. Don't have your mind made up as to what you're gonna do, and then do it, regardless of weather or not it's still a good idea. I see this all the time when I'm out driving around. People do not "read the D" - read the traffic.

Same with Smush. He doesn't read the D! Smush clearly just isn't thinking out there sometimes. He's CASUAL.

Wake up, focus on what you're doing, read the D and GET YOUR HANDS UP AND CONTEST THOSE JUMPERS!!!
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Smush is a solid back up player. Sasha won't be ready anytime soon. It's too bad Laron Profit got injured. I would have liked to see him start with Kobe. Right now we're pretty much screwed. If Penny still has legs, I'd say we sign him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: