Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...

is it fair to expect more scoring out of him?

I mean, wasn't the reason behind his lower scoring production was that he was "torn" between either dropping 20+ points or dishing out 10 assists?

He should now be free to dominate the likes of Darius Miles and Travis Outlaw in the low post, right?
Another_laker_fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...

And 1 wrote:

I mean, wasn't the reason behind his lower scoring production was that he was "torn" between either dropping 20+ points or dishing out 10 assists?

He should now be free to dominate the likes of Darius Miles and Travis Outlaw in the low post, right?

You know I know that these things take time and you have to patient, but he is just asleep half the time...and it kills me!
Its almost like hes not focused...
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...

And 1 wrote:

When did he get stripped of facilitator duties? I thought he's still taking that role.
Mostwanted
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

I think it's probably better to say that Kobe and LO have been splitting ALOT of time at the iniator in these last few weaks.
LAL25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

Uhhh...when did he get stripped of his facilitator duties? He still brings the ball upcourt unless it's for certain set plays and he still tries to get others involved.

And again, I brought this up last night, he has shown that he can be clutch at the end of games and get timely buckets if he goes to the basket.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...

lakez34 wrote:
And 1 wrote:

When did he get stripped of facilitator duties? I thought he's still taking that role.

Kobes asst. have gone up. LO barely brings the ball up anymore. Again PJ is learning what some/Tex have known. LO cant make decisions. His handles are good, but ONLY for a guy 6'10. They need more scoring out of him yet that only appears to net them an xtra bucket or 2. He is a one trick pony. He has become an afterthought oit there only coming up big when he wants. he blends in with the other scrubs.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

LAL25 wrote:
Uhhh...when did he get stripped of his facilitator duties? He still brings the ball upcourt unless it's for certain set plays and he still tries to get others involved.

And again, I brought this up last night, he has shown that he can be clutch at the end of games and get timely buckets if he goes to the basket.

I think that you are confusing "bringing the ball upcourt" to facilitating. Kobe facilitated the entire first half and most of the 3rd quarter.

As for being clutch and delivering timely baskets...

There should not have been a need for that against a team like the Blazers. Lamar should hae gone off for at least 25 points against the likes of Miles, Outlaw, and that Russian guy.

Do you disagree with that?
un1bomber
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

maybe what lamar needs to do is learn how to use his right hand
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

LO is overrated
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...

lakez34 wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Well, if he has been somebody needs to tell him to come off of that perimeter then...
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Someone tell Lamar to come out gunning early. The first three possessions of every game Lamar should drive to the basket.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
LAL25 wrote:

I think that you are confusing "bringing the ball upcourt" to facilitating. Kobe facilitated the entire first half and most of the 3rd quarter.

There should not have been a need for that against a team like the Blazers. Lamar should hae gone off for at least 25 points against the likes of Miles, Outlaw, and that Russian guy.

What your confusing with demotion is the "taking over mode" that Kobe goes into when he gets impatient with how things are going. I've noticed that a lot in the last month or so.

Phil should move to the "duel initiator" facet of this system as soon as possible anyway. The problem is the Lakers as a whole just aren't ready for that movement yet. Lo should really be orchestrating from the high post where he can be most effective...The league has about three small forwards that can deal with him in that zone. I wish I knew what Jacksons vision was...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...

THE_SHOES wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Well, if he has been somebody needs to tell him to come off of that perimeter then...

Think PJ is realizing he's playing LO at the wrong position, that he need to be in the post more?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
Someone tell Lamar to come out gunning early. The first three possessions of every game Lamar should drive to the basket.

Absolutely! Odom has been in this role so long a lot of people actually think he has no offensive game! Man I wish he could be unleashed. We see it but, the Lakers coaching staff doesn't? That can't be can it?
un1bomber
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

i still dont know how odom made it this far without knowing how to go right
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:

So what if he does?

On the first possession, LO will likely blow the lay-up.

He'd make the second attempt, only to follow that up with a charging foul (probably because he can't use his right hand).

After which, he'd disappear for the rest of the half and 3rd quarter.

The, with the team struggling to catch up to (or hold off) an opponent, Odom will score a bucket or two in the fourth quarter to allow his jockers to crow, Hey, Lamar scored a key bucket for us in crunch time.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject:

More excuses for LO. hes on the perimeter, b/c he cant think to go down low. He doesnt take over b/c hes not wired that way. Kobe does everyones job but play center and even then hes getting his hands on some of the bigs balls sorry
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
And 1 wrote:
LAL25 wrote:

What your confusing with demotion is the "taking over mode" that Kobe goes into when he gets impatient with how things are going. I've noticed that a lot in the last month or so.

Phil should move to the "duel initiator" facet of this system as soon as possible anyway. The problem is the Lakers as a whole just aren't ready for that movement yet. Lo should really be orchestrating from the high post where he can be most effective...The league has about three small forwards that can deal with him in that zone. I wish I knew what Jacksons vision was...

Wow.

Talk about spin.

At the beginning of the year, didn't you say that that Lamar would thrive as facilitator under Phil's tutelage?

Now that Phil has scrapped that plan, he doesn't know how to use Odom correctly?
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:

Absolutely! Odom has been in this role so long a lot of people actually think he has no offensive game! Man I wish he could be unleashed. We see it but, the Lakers coaching staff doesn't? That can't be can it?

Let me add this to LG's list of excuses for Lamar's underachievement:

1) Lamar is recovering from shoulder surgery;

2) He's still learning the triangle offense;

3) He's deferring to a "hot" Sasha;

4) He's worried about being traded for Artest;

5) Lamar has to play with Kobe;

6) He's worried about being traded for anybody;

7) Lamar just became a father again;

8) He's staying out of Kobe's way while Kobe scores 80 points;

9) Lamar has bruised rib cartilage;

10) Gary Payton said mean things to him;

11) That was a one-time screw-up. It'll never happen again;

and now, courtesy of The Shoes:

12) The coaching staff doesn't know how to utilize him properly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...

And 1 wrote:

Not just on Lamar, but the whole team. They were facing not only Miles and Outlaw, but also Skinner and Randolph patrolling the paint, and were still jacking up 3's. When the other team's interior defense is actually worse than yours, maybe pounding the ball in the middle would be better than jacking up 3's.
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:

Instead of Chris Mihm
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:

Let me add this to LG's list of excuses for Lamar's underachievement:

1) Lamar is recovering from shoulder surgery;

2) He's still learning the triangle offense;

3) He's deferring to a "hot" Sasha;

4) He's worried about being traded for Artest;

5) Lamar has to play with Kobe;

6) He's worried about being traded for anybody;

7) Lamar just became a father again;

8) He's staying out of Kobe's way while Kobe scores 80 points;

9) Lamar has bruised rib cartilage;

10) Gary Payton said mean things to him;

11) That was a one-time screw-up. It'll never happen again;

and now, courtesy of The Shoes:

12) The coaching staff doesn't know how to utilize him properly.

Hes used to being the man

Hes doing what staff asks

Out of position

sooooooo many more but you made the point
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Now That It Appears As Though Lamar Has Been Stripped Of His Facilitator Duties...

venturalakersfan wrote:
And 1 wrote:

Not just on Lamar, but the whole team. They were facing not only Miles and Outlaw, but also Skinner and Randolph patrolling the paint, and were still jacking up 3's. When the other team's interior defense is actually worse than yours, maybe pounding the ball in the middle would be better than jacking up 3's.

Yup, what that trend has progressively done is stunt the growth of this team and, Rudy T may as well still be running things because, cutting and, looking for the open man is gone from the whole concept. On occassion a pick and, roll. When the Lakers are in there best mode is when they actually utilize "a triple post" Unfortunately unless they can get either Mihm or Kwame going that ends that. Finally Kobe sees that and, that leads him to get tired of the whole process and, solo.

We may have seen the best running of the tri against a happless Magic squad. That was beautiful and, hopefully Jackson will run that footage on occassion to show this team how effective it can be if they would just run it...

The biggest problem is, don't ask the Lakers to play two games in a row....

Last edited by THE_SHOES on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

Cool, so LO is held to the same standards as
Smush
Green
Walton
Kwame
DG
Sasha.
It is a team game but more is expected of certain guys. I agree with you though. LO is the same guy as those others so they as a group need to have a closed door meeting and figure out a way to support Kobe in the tri.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

Do you guys really believe that the Lakers lost that game because of offensive production?

Outrunning teams to the 4th quarter buzzer will not work in the long run. The Lakers are going to have to commit themselves to defending a lot more than they have. LO can average 25pts a game but, if this defense continues to allow low scoring teams like the Blazers to overwhelm them it is over... We are the Mavericks of yesteryear...

The Spurs have a record that dwarfs the Lakers and there highest ppg man Tony Parker scores 19.3 a game followed by Tim Duncan at 19.1
Mano comes in at 15...

So, you can ask more of Odom since he is the man with the "hate light" shining on him everyday, but then ask yourself how tough this team would be scoring as many points as they do if they actually made it difficult for other teams to score. The Lakers whether Odom just says (bleep) it and, starts going for broke for the scoring or continues to look for his teammates is not going to matter either way if all the Lakers are doing is trying to beat other teams to the 4th quarter buzzer by trying to outlast them...

The Lakers could have won last night had they just muscled up and made maybe just 2 stops! They just couldn't do it. Just couldn't do it...
I see that as more of an issue than the tired crying of how many points Lamar Odom put up. You guys say that even when the Lakers put up a 100+ yet you just can't imagine how much easier it would be if they could just slow down another teams offense a little... We have cheese fellas! Swiss to be exact!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: