Time to tighten the rotation

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sedale Thief
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Time to tighten the rotation

Phil has had a history of playing unusual lineups during the regular season, mostly to build player confidence and to save his critical players for the playoffs. The problem this year is the lack of bench depth, particularly since the loss of Laron Profit, and the threat of not making th playoffs.

We'll see how critical the coaching staff believes tomorrow's game versus the Warriors to be by how many players get off the bench. In must win games, Phil tends to reign in the leash to a solid 8 players. What's disturbing has been his ungoing experimentation despite the increasing desperation to make the playoffs.

Sasha Vujacic is mentally fragile right now, and as a result, he's a Laker momentum killer. Body language on the floor is not good for the team's morale, and he gets worse with each turnover and missed shot. Phil is trying to stop the bleeding by continuing to insert him, despite dwindling production. We've seen how Luke Walton responded to his DNP. Either Sasha needs to respond strongly, or else his minutes will be disappearing fast.

Also, something is bothering Smush Parker. I was at the Clipper/Laker game, and during a couple of timeouts, Smush was outside of the huddle huffing, staring at the Clipper girls, etc. Not good. This has been developing for awhile now and nobody has checked it. If you are at the game, follow him on the floor with binoculars and you'll see eye rolling, dejected arm swings, walking deliberately slow back to the bench in protest of being taken out, and in general pouting. They need to get to the bottom of this fast.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to tighten the rotation

Sedale Thief wrote:

Also, something is bothering Smush Parker. I was at the Clipper/Laker game, and during a couple of timeouts, Smush was outside of the huddle huffing, staring at the Clipper girls, etc. Not good. This has been developing for awhile now and nobody has checked it. If you are at the game, follow him on the floor with binoculars and you'll see eye rolling, dejected arm swings, walking deliberately slow back to the bench in protest of being taken out, and in general pouting. They need to get to the bottom of this fast.

The thing with Smush is that he's known to have some attitude that comes with his game. Also, even at the beginning of the season, when things were going well for both him and the team, it never appeared as if he was overjoyed with being on the floor or even on the team. I think some of that body language may have to do with him being upset about the way the Lakers are playing, and some of it may simply be a personality thing. He doesn't get overly excited when we win, and when we're losing, he's upset, but doesn't have a real way of showing it than simply acting a little dejected.

He doesn't seem to have those problems on days when he's having good games, so maybe it's simply a direct correlation to how he's playing.
mike_kb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I was at the Clipper/Laker game, and during a couple of timeouts, Smush was outside of the huddle huffing, staring at the Clipper girls, etc. Not good.

That had me rolling on the floor.

Smush has basically hit the wall. This season essentially being his rookie year, starting every game, seems to have drained him physically and mentally. I've been harsh on him at times but he's honestly earned every penny of his check.

With Mckie's return looking gloomy, responsibility now falls on management to acquire a veteran backcourt player to replenish our depleted guard rotation.
RedSnapper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Decent point, but...

... I'm getting the distinct impression that Phil is completely mystified by his roster, and is unable to figure out who will deliver what when. It is hard to do when the team plays together about as often as I buy winning Lotto tickets.

You can tighten the rotation, but if he was going to tighten it enough to eliminate the undependable and unworthy, he'd be starting the game with 3 guys on the court.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

lets tighten it...

Kobe Odom Cook. The others can watch, cause thats what they do best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent point, but...

RedSnapper wrote:
... I'm getting the distinct impression that Phil is completely mystified by his roster, and is unable to figure out who will deliver what when. It is hard to do when the team plays together about as often as I buy winning Lotto tickets.
PJ might be utilizing a rotation will be consisted of having the players play at between 15 to 20 minutes since they haven't shown the ability to play more than 20 minutes efficiency - as noted by Smush lackluster effort on defense as if he is coasting
lakerfanNC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject:

Management shold have seen this coming. They knew they were weak in the back court. and never addressed it. Phil has been saying we need a veteran. But they have done nothing.They could have gone after Flip. But they do nothing. Never proactive just reactive. It just looks like they are going to let it play out.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Time to tighten the rotation

Sedale Thief wrote:
Time to tighten the rotation

Ok. Let's start by waiving Puke Alton -- he is a waste of roster space.
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

you can't tighten the rotation when you don't know what most of your players are gonna give you on any given night.
cook43
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
lets tighten it...

Kobe Odom Cook. The others can watch, cause thats what they do best.

Word.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

I see no reason why the Lakers should not experiment. They need to sort through the players and make decisions about who will be in the team next season. They may even give minutes to players of interest for trades in the Summer.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
I see no reason why the Lakers should not experiment. They need to sort through the players and make decisions about who will be in the team next season. They may even give minutes to players of interest for trades in the Summer.

I'm with Angel. I know we're trying to make the playoffs, but we all know even if we do, we're not going far. Let's keep pushing the kids and see what they show so we can make some moves in the summer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: