Phil Jackson: "They stink."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
TG711 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Lakers have what it takes to make the playoffs.

They are young and don't really play with consistent intensity. Especially on defense.

I would be suprised if they didn't get on a win streak before the end of the season.

You would think that with guys like Kwame an Smush, they would be out to prove something and that one thing that WOULD be there would be consistent intensity.

Kwame trying to prove he isn't a bust, and Smush trying to prove that he deserves to stick on an NBA roster after a few years of being bounced around.

Kwame has millions. He is set for life. I'm sure he wants to play but proving himself as a basketball player isn't a huge thing to him it seems.

Parker is starting. I mean what else could he have asked for? Smush has overachieved and given us a starting job we didn't anticipate from him. I can't be mad at Smush. He is a steal for us.

Ahhh, the classic cases of being given too much too soon. Give Smush only one year and make him come off the bench? Maybe his effort would be higher, trying to start and ensure a future spot (is he even guaranteed for next year though)?

This is all TRULY a joke if Kwame's third year has been picked up already. Poor output, poor effort, overpaid. And just a few months into the experiment? Guarantee the third year. People keep just handing things to him!
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:

Phil Jackson stinks too. I mean he should have sent Chris Mihm or Kwame Brown on the floor in the late 4th quarter where the Lakers have struggled to do some rebounds. Instead he put a small line-up, so the result was second chance points of Portland and a loss.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
TG711 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

They are young and don't really play with consistent intensity. Especially on defense.

I would be suprised if they didn't get on a win streak before the end of the season.

You would think that with guys like Kwame an Smush, they would be out to prove something and that one thing that WOULD be there would be consistent intensity.

Kwame trying to prove he isn't a bust, and Smush trying to prove that he deserves to stick on an NBA roster after a few years of being bounced around.

Kwame has millions. He is set for life. I'm sure he wants to play but proving himself as a basketball player isn't a huge thing to him it seems.

Parker is starting. I mean what else could he have asked for? Smush has overachieved and given us a starting job we didn't anticipate from him. I can't be mad at Smush. He is a steal for us.

Smush Parker gives up more points than any PG in the NBA. Exactly how has he been a "steal" for us?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Smush Parker gives up more points than any PG in the NBA. Exactly how has he been a "steal" for us?

It's always easy to pick on the PG for all the defenses problems.

But the fact is, this team knows how to play defense. But they choose to only do it when their offense is going well.

What hurts Smush is that he has no real anchor inside. I don't think Tony Parker is a good defender. He is an average defender at best. But Parker has guys like Duncan and Mohammed to anchor the paint for him. That allows penetration from the point spot to expose you way less. The best example I can give you is the Spurs series in 2004. Parker was abusing us left right and center up until we started to trap him and funnel him into Shaq. We were so aggressive with Parker, that we solely focused on him not getting his type of penetration. That is what team defense and having an anchor inside can do.

And Smush isn't the only one that allows penetration on off nights. Kobe is very guilty of poor guard defense at times as is Vujacic and Walton/George when they play the 2.

You just can't stop really explosive PG's by one on one D IMO. The best way to stop them is trap them or have anchors inside that can initimidate them from attacking the paint and using team defense to close the driving lanes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerfin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
TG711 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Actually he is a steal, financially, he just shouldn't be our starting PG.
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

But the fact is, this team knows how to play defense. But they choose to only do it when their offense is going well.

Not entirely true. They played great defense when kobe took over most of the offensive load (see 62pts game & the second half of 81pts game). It's more like they lose their focus on the defensive end when they are asked to step up and help kobe on the offensive end.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject:

Smush is the starting PG by default.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
Way to pass the buck Phil!

Maybe if you coach better, they won't stink as much.

Of course many who actually know about such things, including several competing GMs, think Phil is doing a great job. Gee, who to believe?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:

He's cheap? He actually played some defense early in the season, too bad he is above that now.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakerfans wrote:
He's cheap? He actually played some defense early in the season, too bad he is above that now.

You're logic sometimes amazes me, so because he's Cheap he can stink it up because he's not eatting any money from us if thats the case let's sign all the damn NBDL players i'm sure there cheap and helpful geezus :roll:
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

Smush is really blowing his shot..........
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
venturalakerfans wrote:

You're logic sometimes amazes me, so because he's Cheap he can stink it up because he's not eatting any money from us if thats the case let's sign all the damn NBDL players i'm sure there cheap and helpful geezus :roll:

Damn, we need a sarcasm emoticon. I guess it isn't easy to recognize.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kenkoy wrote:

Of course many who actually know about such things, including several competing GMs, think Phil is doing a great job. Gee, who to believe?

0.500 record at $ 10 million/year is doing a great job? Who are these competing GM's (Isiah, Babcock?). Phil may know more about basketball than
I'll ever dream to know, but doing a great job? Please...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

So what coach would have this team competing for a top playoff spot?
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Why don't you ask those in the know, and those competing GM's?

By the way, I never said this team is great by any means, and should be competing for a top playoff spot. All I'm saying is that, Phil should take some responsibility for his team's performance, and that he's not doing a great job, based on his team's record.
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

It's always easy to pick on the PG for all the defenses problems.

What hurts Smush is that he has no real anchor inside. I don't think Tony Parker is a good defender. He is an average defender at best. But Parker has guys like Duncan and Mohammed to anchor the paint for him. That allows penetration from the point spot to expose you way less. The best example I can give you is the Spurs series in 2004. Parker was abusing us left right and center up until we started to trap him and funnel him into Shaq. We were so aggressive with Parker, that we solely focused on him not getting his type of penetration. That is what team defense and having an anchor inside can do.

And Smush isn't the only one that allows penetration on off nights. Kobe is very guilty of poor guard defense at times as is Vujacic and Walton/George when they play the 2.

You just can't stop really explosive PG's by one on one D IMO. The best way to stop them is trap them or have anchors inside that can initimidate them from attacking the paint and using team defense to close the driving lanes.

Everyone's D looks a lot better on the best defensive team. That's for sure. But the thing is, the stats shows Smush Parker ranks near the top of the list on opponent points allowed per game. There are many teams that play worse team D and have weaker front court than us. Apparently they defend the PG position better.
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kenkoy wrote:

0.500 record at $ 10 million/year is doing a great job? Who are these competing GM's (Isiah, Babcock?). Phil may know more about basketball than
I'll ever dream to know, but doing a great job? Please...

In all honesty, we have less talent on this team than the Knicks by far, and they suck donkey chubs!! And hey their coach is being payed 10 mil a year too!! .500 doesn't sound too bad now does it??
Well if you're a laker fan it does..............
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Someone should also make the comment that the coaching stinks. Phil is unable to adjust to the fact that these Lakers are not the championship bulls. Smush is not Ron Harper. Odom is not Pippen. Kwame is not Rodman, or Oakley, or a young Horace Grant. Chris Mihm is not Cartwright or even Longly. These guys could figure things out. Our bunch are raw material and Phil sitting on the bench unable to change his tactics to fit game situations and give any game direction by letting the players "figure things out" results in this team stinking it up.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

kobester wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Not entirely true. They played great defense when kobe took over most of the offensive load (see 62pts game & the second half of 81pts game). It's more like they lose their focus on the defensive end when they are asked to step up and help kobe on the offensive end.

Well I think that's only 1 or 2 times. Most NBA players - especially young players want to score too.

The old belief - get your bigs involved first so that they can defend the interior better.

It's a very stupid mentality, but it's present on all young teams IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ttango
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Avery Johnson, I think would do a good job, that is, if the players will respect him.

Kobe has said that he respects Gregg Popovich.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=27829

Here is a section from that article:
Quote:
Perhaps the most baffling question about Jackson, then, is not why he would want to come back to coach Bryant and the Lakers but why he would want to come back to coach in the NBA at all. A telling passage from Jackson's book reads, "Despite their tremendous talent, (NBA players) are still, by and large, young adults, seeking validation from an authority figure, and there is no greater authority figure on a team than the coach. Needless to say, in today's warped, self-indulgent climate, too many players couldn't care less about appeasing the coach."

Hall of Famer Rick Barry says a coach's relationship with his star player has always been vital in the NBA, "but it is so much harder now. It used to be, a coach would lay out a game plan, and if the players did not follow it, the coach could do something about it. Now, what do you do? You can't fine anyone because the players make so much money. A fine means nothing. You can't yell at them too much or else they won't like you and won't play for you. Then, they're demanding a trade or you're getting fired. Players control things a lot more now."

But players generally want coaching and appreciate having a strong figure in charge. That worked for the Bulls last season under Scott Skiles, whose demanding nature was a factor in his dismissal from Phoenix three years ago. With the young and impressionable Bulls, though, Skiles' approach was a welcome change from the lax regime of Bill Cartwright, and the team responded by winning 47 games last season. "He came in and got everything organized," says Bulls center Tyson Chandler. "Everyone knew what he wanted out of them. That was big for us."

The benefits of a strong coach are not limited to young, developing teams. Gregg Popovich, a former Air Force cadet, runs the defending champion Spurs with militaristic efficiency. No team plays tighter, more consistent defense, an emblem of the discipline Popovich requires. He plays no favorites -- he is as likely to deliver a scolding to two-time MVP Tim Duncan as he is to rip backup point guard Beno Udrih. It helps that Duncan is not the type to rebel against Popovich's style, but the unique relationship between Duncan and Popovich registers with opposing players.

"(In San Antonio), I knew what I was getting into from a team standpoint, from a coaching standpoint," Spurs guard Michael Finley told reporters. Finley was pursued by the Suns, Timberwolves and Heat but said that it was chemistry -- fostered by the relationship between Popovich and Duncan -- that pushed him to sign with San Antonio.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Odom as Debbie Downer:

Quote:
"The way we're playing," Lamar Odom said, "we don't have a shot in hell to beat a team like Detroit or San Antonio ... the guys that are going to make it hard."

Here is a sneak preview of Sundays edition of the Times....it's lengthy one on one w/ LO...about life on and off the court...

Quote:

Q: How do you like your steak?

Lamar: "Ever since they found Mad Cow Disease in the U.S., I'm not taking any chances. It can live in your body for years, before it ravages your brain."

I read this one seriously...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

By the way, I never said this team is great by any means, and should be competing for a top playoff spot. All I'm saying is that, Phil should take some responsibility for his team's performance, and that he's not doing a great job, based on his team's record.

So when the team is losing, Phil calls them "they"

When they are winning, it is "we"

The guy should take some responsibility for the fact that a half soused Rudy T had the team playing better than he does.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The guy should take some responsibility for the fact that a half soused Rudy T had the team playing better than he does.

I hate to agree with you LL but it's true. Phil should have said "we"
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I hate to agree with you LL but it's true. Phil should have said "we"

i agree 110%
Coca James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
sean2023 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Odom as Debbie Downer:

Quote:
"The way we're playing," Lamar Odom said, "we don't have a shot in hell to beat a team like Detroit or San Antonio ... the guys that are going to make it hard."

Here is a sneak preview of Sundays edition of the Times....it's lengthy one on one w/ LO...about life on and off the court...

Quote:

Q: How do you like your steak?

Lamar: "Ever since they found Mad Cow Disease in the U.S., I'm not taking any chances. It can live in your body for years, before it ravages your brain."

I read this one seriously...

me 2

"I have to be assertive, and if the ball doesn't go in, it gives us a good rebounding opportunity." - Kobe
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: