Karl Malone was Just on ESPN radio 710 AM (3/3/06) (from CL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
He was the last of the 'old-school' players. I miss the attitude/style of play from back then...

Yup. I hate how every player in the NBA is all buddy buddy with each other. I miss the days when Magic HATED Bird, Isaiah HATED Magic, Russell HATED Wilt, etc. It created rivalries, and higher competition.

Today we have players from road teams helping players from the home team get up off the floor. There's laughing and joking between teams.....To me it's BS. The sense of urgency, and competition has almost completely left today's NBA.
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:

If only Karl wansn't hurt in the Finals, we could have won. And now we wouldnt even be in this mess.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
He was the last of the 'old-school' players. I miss the attitude/style of play from back then...

Yep. Props to Karl
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
We could use a young Karl Malone right now. Karl wasn't terribly athletic, but he was amazing just the same.

Wasn't terribly athletic? Even the 40 year old version was athletic. the young Malone was off the charts athletic. He was never a skywalker, but (at his size and bulk) the guy ran like a gazelle, had great (quick) hands, was immovable off the post, strong as an ox, great passer, great mid-range shooter ... what else do you want? They guy was a supreme athlete. Come on, now.

SGH
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:

KB8LJ23 wrote:
Kobe had to back up his wife no matter if Karl was his friend. I feel sad cause that was just a terrible circumstance. Karl was kidding and Vanessa took it the harsh way. Kobe after cheating on her had to stick with her no matter what. Or wound up losing her. So it was Wife or best friend. Tough choice

KM had a rep for being a big p-hound in the NBA, and especially in Utah. Why is it so hard for people to accept even the possibility that a tipsy Malone made an inappropriate overture to another guy's wife?

Not surprising. Consider the context. I don't see why she is the one whose motives are impugned.

SGH
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
KB8LJ23 wrote:
Kobe had to back up his wife no matter if Karl was his friend. I feel sad cause that was just a terrible circumstance. Karl was kidding and Vanessa took it the harsh way. Kobe after cheating on her had to stick with her no matter what. Or wound up losing her. So it was Wife or best friend. Tough choice

KM had a rep for being a big p-hound in the NBA, and especially in Utah. Why is it so hard for people to accept even the possibility that a tipsy Malone made an inappropriate overture to another guy's wife?

Not surprising. Consider the context. I don't see why she is the one whose motives are impugned.

SGH

Thank you! I mean it wouldn't surprise me if Vanessa wasn't entirely innocent here but why is she suddenly considered the bad guy here? I mean granted stuff we've heard about her through the years might've been a reason but I bet had it been Shaq's wife nobody would've doubted her even though she's just as "bad".

I guess its because Vanessa was a huge reason why those closest to Kobe distanced themselves from him and namely his family hated him and it pretty much lead to his downfall years later. Its not fair of course but the perception is there that a lot of the problems Kobe has had in recent memory are tied to her. Because before her not much was said about Kobe negatively...
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Karl Malone was Just on ESPN radio 710 AM (3/3/06) (from CL)

kobester wrote:
courtesy of vaheblings of CL

vaheblings wrote:
Karl Malone was just on Espn Radio 710 AM with Linda Cohn (She is filling in 4 Dan Patrick) and this is the recap of the interview.

. Kobe is the best player right now in the NBA and maybe one of the best of all time if not now will get there.
. Lamar Odom has to step up and help and do more than he does to help out Kobe.
. Hasn't talked 2 Kobe this year or after what happend last year at all, but still thinks he was and is true professional.
. As long as Kobe is on this Lakers team they compete night in and out just because Kobe won't ever give up.
. The Lakers are a first class organization and loved being there for 2 season including his injury year and when he sat out, and loved playing for the Lakers.
. Thinks that the blame should be on the Lakers players and not on the coaches or Kobe or anyone else, they just need to help Kobe.
. Thinks Kobe is the MVP of the league.
. Loved the time he had with the Lakers even though it was short and would've done it again knowing what happend.
. Blamed the Knicks players and not so much Isiah Thomas with the situation with NY.

That was it. Give me props.

Major props!
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Penocha more like Panocha
LakeLakeLake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:

Yup. I hate how every player in the NBA is all buddy buddy with each other. I miss the days when Magic HATED Bird, Isaiah HATED Magic, Russell HATED Wilt, etc. It created rivalries, and higher competition.

Magic never hated Bird. Why should he?
True, there was a great rivalry, but it was their competitive spirit that fueled their battles and not hate. Both were true professionals.

Well, speaking of Isiah, I'm not so sure...
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject:

kb8sunshine wrote:
kemi4kobes wrote:
wow, i'm truely suprised. i thought he would bash kobe.

reach out to him kobe!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not to play for the lakers but to mend fences)

I fell in love with Karl when he became a Laker
The whole thing about him saying he would give up winning a championship, for Kobe to come out ok from the trial, was classy, beautiful, and made me cry
I was so upset with Kobe for reacting like that, but i guess he had to do what he had to do (regardless of how I feel about the situation)

They were my version or Nelly and Tim McGraw(spell check)

As much as I love Kobe
I just don't think that Kobe is mature enough to reach out to Karl, right now!

It's more like his wife would put his nuts in a vice.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
angel wrote:
We could use a young Karl Malone right now. Karl wasn't terribly athletic, but he was amazing just the same.

Wasn't terribly athletic? Even the 40 year old version was athletic. the young Malone was off the charts athletic. He was never a skywalker, but (at his size and bulk) the guy ran like a gazelle, had great (quick) hands, was immovable off the post, strong as an ox, great passer, great mid-range shooter ... what else do you want? They guy was a supreme athlete. Come on, now.

SGH

For some reason people relate athletic with hops. Again, Karl is a supreme athlete.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:

Today we have players from road teams helping players from the home team get up off the floor. There's laughing and joking between teams.....To me it's BS. The sense of urgency, and competition has almost completely left today's NBA.

Magic didn't hate Bird or Isaiah. They're buddies.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject:

It's good to see that he's put it behind him. I remember last year when he was on the radio here in LA, Karl wouldn't even talk about Kobe or the Lakers.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:

Karl Malone classy? He was just kidding when flirting with his teammate's wife during Kobe's toughest time? Nonsense. Karl had a history of womanizing. After what Malone did and the subsequent harm done to Kobe, no way should he be welcomef back.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Boognish wrote:
(bleep)! Oh how I'd love to hunt me some lil' mexican girlies right about now! Quiero penocha.

That's the worst curse word on the planet I hope never to see it again!

Rick
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
I doubt Karl will ever play again.

Way to go out on a limb, there, angel.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Boognish wrote:
(bleep)! Oh how I'd love to hunt me some lil' mexican girlies right about now! Quiero penocha.

Rick

It's not even spelled right. It's like typing "I want some cent."
mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

Karl could still start for the Lakers.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

mm708 wrote:
Karl could still start for the Lakers.
Fact
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
TheRod wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:

Magic didn't hate Bird or Isaiah. They're buddies.

Mutual Respect? YES.

Hate? You better believe it. Just because Isaiah and Bird are "friends" with Magic now doesn't mean that there wasen't animosity between them in the 80s. Magic and Bird didn't become "friends" until the late 80s when both were sponsored by Converse, and both had to appear in the same commerical. While shooting that commercial they somehow made a connection and became so-called "friends." It's well documented that Magic and Isaiah are not buddy buddy as well.

It's completely different today. Did you see Kobe hanging out and laughing with Iggy and other star players during the Dunk Contest this year? That's how things have changed. You would have never seen that in past era's in the NBA.
KobeFTW
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

karl malone to LA
Tracy McGrady, the player closest to matching Kobe in pure individual ability, was 'no picnic to deal with either. I heard that every time someone says 'get back on defense,' his back hurts. "the last season'-Phil Jackson
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

If he comes back second best player in the team even at 60 yrs of age
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Wow! That's unexpected. I would have thought he'd been pissed or have at least some animosity toward Kobe. Must have taken a page out of Kobe's forgive and forget policy with PJ.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:

Wow! That's unexpected. I would have thought he'd been pissed or have at least some animosity toward Kobe. Must have taken a page out of Kobe's forgive and forget policy with PJ.

Not really I always suspected Karl did something( don't know what that exactly is) and maybe he felt guilt and decided to be nice or he figures there's really no point to holding grudges over this since its ancient history and there are bigger problems in the world. Who knows? Just glad that it wasn't rehashed by the whole media...
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
Boognish wrote:

Rick

It's not even spelled right. It's like typing "I want some cent."

It is a creative way to get around the profanity filters, I suppose.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: