Laker Report: The Race for Eighth
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Emplay the article gives a misleading playoff race picture. When you actually put it correctly their are far more scenarios than what you are projecting. Any slip by the Lakers, Memphis, or NO/OK changes the playoff picture drastically. It is also possible that Utah, Sac, Denver, and Lakers all make the playoffs. You are stating alot of accurate facts but giving certain teams (Memphis, NO/OK) a free playoff pass that are in just as dangerous territory and have difficult roads ahead also. Here is an example of difficult NO/OK next 6 games Phoenix, Lakers, Indiana, New Jersey, Spurs, Denver. If you are going to do an article on the race for the 8th spot keep it real it is the race for the 3,6, 7, and 8 spots with 6 legit contenders 2 won't make it and non-have guaranteed spot Lakers included.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Didn't Sac also have a very difficult schedule towards the end? I remember BSPN pointing that out rationalizing their early season success. Apparently, they played a lot of home games against weak teams early on. Meaning the Queens have a tough road too.
trunkz550
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

So the playoff positions are pretty much set and the lakers have no chance of moving up unless the clippers fall off? What happens if we end up having a better record than both Memphis and New Orleans? Would we be still stuck in the 8th seed or could we move up to the 6th spot? I hope we are not stuck in the 8th cuz if so we have a big challenge to face. Can anyone school me on this?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:

The Kings lost. The Jazz also seem to be going down.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

The mighty hornets, are going to going crashing down. The grizzlies has been flirting with collapses since damnon stoudamire went down, and for the life of me , i cant figure out y the jazz are soo medicore with their talent.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

grizzlies will get 5 - clippers 6 - i'm not sure about 7 and 8 yet.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Ank wrote:
It looks bleak as hell considering the teams we're playing. Bleak as hell. Especially since we're not actually that great at home either. We're in real trouble. The truth is, if we don't make it to 6th, which seems almost impossible now, we're gonna be out in the 1st round. So, yes, not being in the playoffs does suck, but that does make sure we make moves this summer and maybe Mitch gets fired. So, maybe its better long term. There is no way we get past Pheonix, the Mavs or the Spurs in a series. No chance at all. Even if Kobe averages 50, we'd lose.

I guess its time to run around like headless chickens then?

Or maybe its time to hit the panic button?

Or is that the Easy button?

Mitch aint going nowheres.

He does Jerry's bidding not his own.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
grizzlies will get 5 - clippers 6 - i'm not sure about 7 and 8 yet.

That is likely looking at the schedules but the clips, grizz, no/ok, and the Lakers have all been inconsistent teams this year capable of going on 4 and 5 game losing streaks the only teams that are locks Phoenix, SA, Dallas. The Hornets, Clips, and Lakers have the toughest schedules of the teams fighting for the 3,5, 6, 7, and 8 spots but all the teams fighting for these spots will decide them in games amongst themselves. The so called best team in L.A. is 3-7 in their last 10 with losses against Houston, Chicago, GS, and Utah during that stretch. Another string like that they would be in trouble. It is very easy for people to overstate how good these middle of the road teams are and if one gets hot and goes 8-2 they will leapfrog even the ones penciled in to get the 5 or 6 spot.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject:

Ank wrote:
It looks bleak as hell considering the teams we're playing. Especially since we're not actually that great at home either. We're in real trouble. The truth is, if we don't make it to 6th, which seems almost impossible now, we're gonna be out in the 1st round. So, yes, not being in the playoffs does suck, but that does make sure we make moves this summer and maybe Mitch gets fired. So, maybe its better long term. There is no way we get past Pheonix, the Mavs or the Spurs in a series. No chance at all. Even if Kobe averages 50, we'd lose.
I don't see things as bleak since the playoffs are the Lakers to lose.

The entire Western Conference will probably change since currently the following is happening:

1) Dallas and San Antonio race: Dallas has lost its last few games and Tim Duncan is no longer team's first concern (and it is not because of his injury)

2) Utah and Denver will probably be fighting to win their division

3) Clippers have gone into a funk and they have to integrate Cory into their rotation which is not instantly happening and maybe Sam I Am will tire - as he has done the past few seasons. As "Sam I Am" goes, so goes the Lakers

4) With Memphis' recent victory, they might catch up with the Clips. #3 and #4 still makes getting to #6 a realistic possibility.

5) Utah/Denver and SacTown are the closest pursurers but are inconsistent with SacTown still trying to integrate RonRon into their offensive sets.

*** If the Lakers play Dallas, they have a mental edge over Dallas that would give them a good chance of beating them - in a hard-fought series

*** If the Lakers "board" consistently," they would be able to slow down the Suns. It will be interesting how Amare integrates within the offensive sets since he wouldn't have any and/or much of the season to get into the flow before the playoffs. If they can slow down Nash, the Suns are beatable - of course, everyone knows that

*** During the playoffs, PJ will be able to coach/plan specifically for one team - his specialty. Will PJ have impressed enough to the Lakers that if they give 100% consistent effort they will be in every playoff game? If he has, the Lakers can cause some damage - if not, it will be a short playoff season.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject:

6th is a much friendlier spot than the 5th seed. I hope the Lakers have a late season charge to gain the 6th seed.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I hope the Lakers have a late season charge to gain the 6th seed

For the Lakers to get a late season charge is if players can stay constant instead of having a load of 'off-nights'. If Lamar Odom can work like he did in the win against the Pistons then Lakers have a strong chance of getting 6th place.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Ank wrote:
It looks bleak as hell considering the teams we're playing. Especially since we're not actually that great at home either. We're in real trouble. The truth is, if we don't make it to 6th, which seems almost impossible now, we're gonna be out in the 1st round. So, yes, not being in the playoffs does suck, but that does make sure we make moves this summer and maybe Mitch gets fired. So, maybe its better long term. There is no way we get past Pheonix, the Mavs or the Spurs in a series. No chance at all. Even if Kobe averages 50, we'd lose.
I don't see things as bleak since the playoffs are the Lakers to lose.

The entire Western Conference will probably change since currently the following is happening:

1) Dallas and San Antonio race: Dallas has lost its last few games and Tim Duncan is no longer team's first concern (and it is not because of his injury)

2) Utah and Denver will probably be fighting to win their division

3) Clippers have gone into a funk and they have to integrate Cory into their rotation which is not instantly happening and maybe Sam I Am will tire - as he has done the past few seasons. As "Sam I Am" goes, so goes the Lakers

4) With Memphis' recent victory, they might catch up with the Clips. #3 and #4 still makes getting to #6 a realistic possibility.

5) Utah/Denver and SacTown are the closest pursurers but are inconsistent with SacTown still trying to integrate RonRon into their offensive sets.

*** If the Lakers play Dallas, they have a mental edge over Dallas that would give them a good chance of beating them - in a hard-fought series

*** If the Lakers "board" consistently," they would be able to slow down the Suns. It will be interesting how Amare integrates within the offensive sets since he wouldn't have any and/or much of the season to get into the flow before the playoffs. If they can slow down Nash, the Suns are beatable - of course, everyone knows that

*** During the playoffs, PJ will be able to coach/plan specifically for one team - his specialty. Will PJ have impressed enough to the Lakers that if they give 100% consistent effort they will be in every playoff game? If he has, the Lakers can cause some damage - if not, it will be a short playoff season.

If you think the Lakers can beat Dallas in a playoff series, you're on something. Playoffs are different. They'll fight like mad. I would say 5-6 games at best and a loss. You can chalk up one game to a Kobe performance. That's about it.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Ank wrote:
If you think the Lakers can beat Dallas in a playoff series, you're on something. Playoffs are different. They'll fight like mad. I would say 5-6 games at best and a loss. You can chalk up one game to a Kobe performance. That's about it.
Respect your opinion. My viewpoint that the Lakers will give them a lot of problems/if not winning the series is based on the following:

** Dallas is a team that always has allowed teams to catch them when they have any kind of lead

** Avery is trying to change the mindset of the Dallas players from being offensive-minded, to having a defensive mindset - but it hasn't occurred yet.

** Lakers are in the Mavericks' heads, resulting from their past history

** In a playoff series, PJ has an advantage over Avery Johnson cuz he can plan for one team

** If LO can neutralize Dirk by making him play defense, it will place more pressure on him

** Mihm/Brown can match Dampier stats

** Marquiss Grissom/Jerry Stackhouse and DGeorge will match each other

** Jason Terry is the key factor, as the PG, is the key - as always

** They have nobody that can stop Kobe

Not overly worried about their other players such as Keith Van Horn, Darrell Armstrong, Diop, Howard, Mbanga, Marshall, Podkotzin and Powell.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Ank wrote:
Respect your opinion. My viewpoint that the Lakers will give them a lot of problems/if not winning the series is based on the following:

** Dallas is a team that always has allowed teams to catch them when they have any kind of lead

** Avery is trying to change the mindset of the Dallas players from being offensive-minded, to having a defensive mindset - but it hasn't occurred yet.

** Lakers are in the Mavericks' heads, resulting from their past history

** In a playoff series, PJ has an advantage over Avery Johnson cuz he can plan for one team

** If LO can neutralize Dirk by making him play defense, it will place more pressure on him

** Mihm/Brown can match Dampier stats

** Marquiss Grissom/Jerry Stackhouse and DGeorge will match each other

** Jason Terry is the key factor, as the PG, is the key - as always

** They have nobody that can stop Kobe

Not overly worried about their other players such as Keith Van Horn, Darrell Armstrong, Diop, Howard, Mbanga, Marshall, Podkotzin and Powell.

If we face 'em, we better worry about Howard, he cant stop Kobe, but he can stop him from scoring 30.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
If we face 'em, we better worry about Howard, he cant stop Kobe, but he can stop him from scoring 30.
Josh Howard (or anybody else) can stop Kobe when he wants to score - just note the last efforts of Ron Artest and Bruce Bowen against Kobe, both much better defenders than Howard (a good player).
bozocv
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

one injury can change thins completly.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:39 pm

jeremysnow wrote:

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:21 pm
there's been a seething attitude in the lockerroom that has not been the most positive. probably why this individual won't resigned past his minimum $1 mil signing.

Parker?

yes indeed.

however, ' didn't want to publicly draw attention to this situation, since the last thing our team needed was MORE distractions; especially in the press (however, I did PM you earlier )

bshaw has counseled parker and smush has taken up the challenge. he's is much better of late.

this type of occurence happens on ALL teams, at some time or another. so it's really no biggie.

this is kobe's team and smush needs to accept it (he has to).

so for now, this issue is history!

if lamar and smush, keep their game at a high level, we'll be very tough to beat.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:

here's my predicted won/loss for the rest of the season:
14 more wins

jsnow: july prediction: 46
current standing: 32-30
final predicted w/l: 46-36

Quote:

March
Fri 10 @ San Antonio Loss

Sun 12 Seattle Win

Tue 14 @ Sacramento Loss

Wed 15 Minnesota Loss

Fri 17 @ New Jersey Win

Sun 19 @ Cleveland Loss

Mon 20 @ Boston Win

Wed 22 Sacramento Win

Fri 24 Milwaukee Win

Sun 26 NO/Okla. City Win

Thu 30 San Antonio Win

Fri 31 @ Seattle Win

April
Sun 2 Houston Win

Thu 6 @ Denver Win

Fri 7 @ Phoenix Loss

Sun 9 L.A. Clippers Win

Tue 11 Golden State Win

Fri 14 Portland Win

Sun 16 Phoenix Loss

Wed 19 NO/Okla. City Win
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: