PISTONS -at- LAKERS - 3/4 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: PISTONS -at- LAKERS - 3/4 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

Biggest Win of the Year... And it couldn't have come at a better time. Heading into the season, the Lakers thought their success would be dictated by two players -- Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown. Kobe would get his and would deliver every night, but success depended on how well those two could play. Tonight they delivered, too. Lamar came through with 24 points and 10 assists, and Kwame stepped up with 12 boards and rock solid D.

Kobe, of course, always delivers and did it with another 40-point game. To drop back-to-back 40-point games when you are ill, the second one against the best team in the league...simply amazing.

Early on in this one, Rasheed Wallace was hitting threes over Cook. I was thinking to myself that it would likely be fool's gold. Sure enough, he fell in love with the three and started clanking them in the second half and couldn't get anything else off with Kwame on him. Billups also was in a zone in the first half, ripping the net on his way to 20 points. He scored just 4 second half with No. 8 not giving him room.

The wheels fell off for the Pistons late in the third quarter and early fourth. The Pistons led by as much as 13 when the Lakers went on an 18-0 run. Kwame and Lamar were in the thick of things during that stretch and ended up leading the Lakers with a +20 (Kwame) and a +18 (Lamar). An aggressive Lamar and a rebounding, defensive monster in Kwame -- things harped on by anybody and everyone all season -- proved the difference in the Lakers biggest win of the year. "We played about as well as we'd played all season," Phil said after the game.

Kobe -- -- Again, I will restate this. If you surround Kobe with the kind of talent that Billups has, how good would this Laker team be? How silly would the MVP comparisons be? How well would the Pistons get by without Billups? They would survive and play pretty decent ball. How well would the Lakers get by without Kobe? They would tank. Period. What kind of Haterade do you drink when you can't appreciate back-to-back 40-point games from a sick and weary Kobe Bryant. It's an uphill battle for Kobe in the MVP race, but he threw down another statement game tonight. He dropped 40 points on 13-26 shooting, 5 rebounds and 4 assists in just 36 minutes of action. He nailed a wing jumper early. He put on some speed, turned the corner and scored a reverse with his left. He attacked the lane and drew FTs, making both. He swished a fallaway 18-footer on an inbounds with the shotclock low. He attacked from the top of the key, blew past Prince and scored a layup. He pulled up in the lane, got a whistle and hit the short jumper. He flashed from weak to strong and hit a 10-footer. Attacking on the last play of the first quarter, he got called for a charge, his second foul. He drew a foul posting up and hit both FTs. Kobe picked up his third foul on a weak call along the sideline and had to sit shortly after returning in the second quarter. He had 17 points on 6-11 shooting at the half (15 came in the first quarter, he only played 3:49 in the second quarter). He got the ball on the break and drew FTs. He hit a 20-footer from the wing. He hit a swing-through baseline jumper over Prince. He hit a wing jumper, popping out from the weakside. He forced a jumper over a double team, instead of kicking to Smush who was open. Smush found Kobe open in semi-transition when Billups trailed and Kobe hit the three. He followed Kwame down the lane and threw down uncontested dunk. He ran around the screens, took an inbounds pass and hit the baseline jumper, balance correcting with his legs. He missed a jumper, pump faking his man in the air, but not getting the call. He faced up and hit a long wing jumper with his heels on the line three line. He went up high for a board, pulled it down and was fouled, he made both FTs. He drained a few more FTs to ice the game. Asked again after the game where he gets the energy when playing sick, Kobe said, "You just suck it up. Don't be a big baby."

Odom -- -- When Lamar imposes his will on the other team by aggressively attacking, scoring and creating for others...the Lakers are a different team. When he sits back, disappears for long stretches and is content to make the swing pass, we can't win games easily. Tonight, he played his best game of the year. He was hitting a bit more from the perimeter, he was attacking inside, and he was continually causing the Pistons problems and setting up teammates for scores. He finished with 24 points on 9-16 shooting (again knocking that misleading stat of the Lakers losing when he shoots over 15 times). To go with that, he also had 10 assists without a turnover in 42 minutes. He carried the team during a critical stretch at the end of the third and start of the fourth. Early on, he hit a pull-up jumper from the wing. He attacked the lane, pivoted and found Cook for a layup. He stepped into a wing three and knocked it down. He attacked, missed but got it back, missed again and got it back, then scored a reverse (nice effort). He hit a short jumphook in the lane. He disrupted a backdoor lob, but was called for a foul, his second at the end of the first. He found Cook on an inbounds for a jumper. He found him again in transition for a layup. He hit a pull-up three with a couple seconds left in the half. He had 12 points and 7 assists at the half. He attacked the lane and dished to Kwame for the And-1. Great finish of the third quarter, playing with aggression: He scooped up a loose ball, pounded the dribble up the court, took it at Prince and scored a layup; he drew a loose ball foul fighting for a defensive board and made both FTs; and he iso'd against Ben and rattled in a three at the end of the quarter. He hit a face up baseline jumper over Sheed early in the fourth. He dunked easily stepping around a fallen Hamilton on a weakside drop pass play. Great game from start to finish. After a previous night where he put together one of his weakest stat lines, Lamar turned it around with one of his best games of the season.

Mihm -- -- Chris got into foul trouble, again picking up those over-the-back-type calls that he can't afford. He's been better at limiting that this year, but he seemed to relapse tonight. Still, Chris was aggressive in the post and carried the team for a stretch in the second quarter, scoring 8 points while Kobe and Lamar suffered from foul trouble. That was a critical stretch that will likely be overlooked, but it kept the team in the game when things could have gotten ugly. Chris finished with 12 points on 5-9 shooting, 6 boards, 2 blocks and 2 assists. He dunked off a perfectly executed pick and roll with Smush. He returned the favor, setting Smush up for a jumper next time down. He was fouled under the hoop for FTs. He hit a 16-footer from the elbow. He posted up Sheed and hit a short jumphook in the middle of the lane. He scored under the hoop when Sasha found him after a steal. He had 10 points at the half. He pulled down an offensive board and scored a layup. He got called for his second over-the-back foul next time down (third foul in the game). He then got called for his fourth foul when Hamilton held him and flopped on an offensive board.

Smush -- -- Smush had a couple of throwdowns that got the crowd going. Those are always nice on the home floor. He scored just 6 points, but on an efficient 3-4 shooting (not taking a single three in 35 minutes). He grabbed 3 boards and dished 6 assists with only 1 turnovers. Nice bounce pass off the pick and roll to Mihm for a dunk to start the game. He hit a jumper off a pass off from Mihm. He threw down a dunk slicing through a crowd on the break. Quick first step to blow past Delfino, then Smush cupped it and hammered down the jam.

Cook -- 8) -- Cook again got into double figures in the scoring column despite playing just 24 minutes. He scored 10 points on 5-9 shooting and grabbed 2 boards. He needs to make more of an effort to rotate faster on the perimeter to shooters. Wallace got hot early from outside on Cook's watch. Cook scored a layup off an interior feed from Lamar. He hit a baseline jumper on an inbounds play. Good hustle in transition D to contest a layup and we got the miss, Cook ran the floor the other way and ended up scoring at the rim. He fumbled a pass away that led to a Piston breakaway score. He threw a horrible pass to Kobe right out of bounds. He got tapped on a wide open 15-footer. He attacked the lane, pulled up from 10-feet and hit a frozen rope. Strong dive cut from the weakside and Kobe found him for a layup.

Kwame -- -- Phil had asked Kwame if he could be satisfied with a Ben Wallace type of game where he just played tough D and rebounded like a madman. Kwame said he would prefer to score. No one gives a damn about Kwame's 3 points tonight. It was his 12 boards and lockdown post D that was essential to the Laker win. He controlled the glass and had 7 more boards than Big Ben. When he's active, when he's moving his feet and using his body, he's a player. Now...get...that...in...your...head!!! Bottle it and repeat! Early on, he tried to power up a shot in the post, drew FTs and missed both as Sheed annoying yelled to the refs "the ball don't lie". Good boxout on Ben and he pulled down the defensive board. Another good rebound and then on the other end, Lamar found Kwame in the lane for the short And-1 jumper (he made the FT). Good post D against Rasheed, contesting the shot, then controlling the board. More good D on Rasheed forcing another brick. Hopefully, Phil can get some mileage off this game, point to it again and again as the Lakers make the stretch run for the playoffs.

George -- -- Devean had a +8 off the bench, playing with energy and hitting some clutch FTs down the stretch. He led the bench in scoring with 8 points on 2-7 shooting and 4-4 FTs. All of his points came in the fourth quarter. He also grabbed 6 boards (3 offensive) and had 2 steals and 2 assists. He posted up in the mid post, turned in the lane and banked in a turnaround straightaway from 8 feet. He slapped a ballaway from Evans and drew a loose ball foul on him. On the other end, he missed a short jumper, got his own rebound and easily banked it in. He drew a loose ball foul on Delk getting an offensive board, he made both FTs. He missed a big three that could have given the Lakers a large lead with three minutes to go. He was fouled under the hoop and made both FTs, good clutch shooting. After the game, Devean once again talked about the defensive end and making sure there was always a yellow jersey in front of the Pistons whenever they got penetration.

Walton -- -- He nailed a wing jumper from 18 feet. He grabbed a couple of boards. Phil had him playing D on the Piston guards and he did a reasonable job. Luke was in on the Laker run at the end of the third and beginning of the fourth and did a good job moving the ball during that stretch.

Vujacic -- -- After Billups swished a couple of threes over Sasha, Sasha airballed a three on the other end. That was a pretty sad moment. Nice steal in transition D, then he found Mihm under the hoop for a score. Sasha played just 10:41, as Phil played a lot more of Devean and Luke as our other guards. Sasha had no points on two shots, 3 boards and 2 assists.

Phil -- -- Phil is no doubt going to pull aside both Lamar and Kwame and tell them to look at this game. This kind of effort from both is what he has been preaching all season... He called a quick timeout to start the second half after the Pistons scored four unanswered points in the first minute. That was about as quick a timeout as we've seen all season... The Lakers went on a 12-0 run to close the third quarter and get the lead. Lamar had 7 of the points... The Lakers stretched that run to 18-0 with six straight points to start the fourth... The Lakers again, refrained from the three, shooting just 4-12 for the game... The Lakers shot .506 on the night and outrebounded the Pistons 44-30, although if you add the team rebounds, it was closer than you might think, 49-46... This loss means the Pistons can't beat Phil's 72-10 season record with the Bulls. "I did think about that as I walked back in the hallway," he said in the Times.
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject:

I really didn't saw the whole game as I was on a theater, just wanted to congratulate them for winning this huge game. I'm not really sure how they won this game so I'll have to see the replay. But I'm sure that one of the reasons was the effort.
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

Lol, Odom is probably giving us false hope then next game he'll go for 2 points

Great win though, i was amazoned actually
jaust.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject:

sweet. hopefully lamar continues his aggressiveness.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

Thank you DB. It was a night of upsets .
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

This game has given me a great lift. I hope the Lakers can develop some momentum. The game gives you the feeling that the Lakers can beat anyone on a given night.
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, It was the biggest win of the year
Gr8testEver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:

I thought the Miami game was the biggest victory at that point in time, finally getting over the Shaq hurdle but tonight's win is bigger in terms of the scale of the upset and how much better the role players were (excluding Sasha).
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:

Good post DB.

I knew we could beat the Pistons as long as the refs didn't do what they did in the 04 Finals. Finally... justice!
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject:

Props to Kwame & Lamar, if only they could play like this on a consistent basis. Thanks for the recap DB.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject:

Great Job, DB!

PJ's new policy of "calling out" players that are making mistakes immediately and making them accountable, at least, worked for this game. It is amazing that a team that lost to Portland has beaten the Piston - though a clear indication of how young this edition of the Lakers are.

This game confirms that the Lakers do have the talent to cause serious damage - even Smush was consistently contesting shots (?!?!), while confirming that they need to learn how to maintain the mindset/will power/drive to do it consistently.

It appears that PJ is starting to "shorten" the bench, in preparation of the playoffs. He seems to be playing Luke, Sasha and Kwame as part of the 2nd team that does not give up leads - normally and hopefully for the upcoming future games.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, you must have enjoyed writing that one.
Our guys really showed their potential tonight, its just a shame we cant count on them to come out the next game with the same effort. Kobe is incredible, so many players wouldnt even be on the court but he still manages to focus and produce the goods when called upon. Kwame, the game has been made so simple for him - defense and rebound. Surely he can handle that night in and out cant he?. Odom stepped up bigtime and showed some real heart. Copy and paste Lamar, copy and paste.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Thanks DB!

This game has given me a great lift. I hope the Lakers can develop some momentum. The game gives you the feeling that the Lakers can beat anyone on a given night.

They can when everything comes together for them like tonight.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject:

I was going to keep quiet, save LakersGround some bandwidth, and just let everyone enjoy the win... I'm also afraid of any bad kharma that I might pass on to the Lakers[I don't want to jinx our team]. There's also the feeling that I might be revealing things, better left hidden...

I just couldn't resist, however... I was reading some of the posts, where various people were experiencing these magical, mystical things, in relation to last night's Piston's Game... Before the game, I remember responding to a thread... My first reactions were that we were about to face harsh reality, again... Then, after thinking about it, for a few minutes, I went back to my response, and added something... I began to remember back, to that finals series, when Karl Malone, and Gary Payton were still with us... I began to remember, how I saw a weakness, or "chink", in the Piston's "armor".

My feeling is that the Piston's play at a tempo, or pace, that the Lakers are more comfortable with... The Pistons give us time to set up our offense... Furthermore, I have always felt that we could penetrate, and disrupt the Piston's Game. I just had this premonition, when I started to remember these things. I think we can consistently beat the Pistons, with a good "inside/outside game", in which we seek to penetrate, first, or look for the open man, on the perimeter. Imagine how I felt, as we started to penetrate, and disrupt the Piston's Game... I think the whole game had a magical feel to it. I can also understand the fans who feel that they have a direct impact on the game, by being there, in person... I've had these magical, mystical experiences, since being a Laker Fan. I have also joked, about how they should pay me, for being at a Laker Game... There, I've vented, and revealed some of my secrets.... I hope I haven't created bad kharma, or that they don't send those "men-in-the-white coats" after me...
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject:

That was a great win. Definitely the biggest win of the year.

It came totally unexpected to me. I'll gladly welcome more such unexpected performances in the near future.

There is a certain joy in beating teams that are true championship contenders. That particular joy has been missing since the team was dismantled after the Finals in '04. Beating a team like Dallas...or Miami...that's all well and good - But teams like that aren't real contenders IMO. To beat a Detroit..or SA...that means something on a different level.

Obviously, this team isn't capable of beating a SA or DET in a series - But tonights win was still sweet...it brought back a familiar satisfaction..familiar, yet at the same time..one that had been missing of late. It was good to experience that again.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Here are some little things I noticed.

1. The defensive rotations really halted the vaulted Pistons ball movement. There weren't too many open mid range jumpers coming the way of the Pistons and once the long bombs started missing they were cooked.

2. Lamar eliminated Tayshaun's effectiveness. Tayshaun couldn't guard Kobe without Lamar having a major size advantage and Lamar is just so much stronger at this point. It really made Tayshaun a non-factor. I hope his brilliant play had nothing to do with Rasheed "I got a sack" Wallace being in town.

3. Kobe is a nigtmare to Billups. Chauncey isn't real fast, but he's real strong. Having Kobe on him made it so the passes Rip Hamilton usually gets weren't there.

4. Smush can play D when focused. He didn't gamble tonight and kept Hamilton in check once he learned his pattern on the picks. Also - Smush left the offensive ego in Golden State. He took good shots and wasn't jacking up 3's all night.

5. Chris Mihm is a good center. He needs to stop committing dumb fouls so we can have low post scoring.

6. Kwame Brown can play some D. He manhandled Ben Wallace and Rasheed couldn't move him at all on the block. Rasheed was forced to take ugly shots in the post. Kwame owned the boards tonight. This was important not just because the Pistons didn't get 2nd and 3rd chances, but because it meant Lamar could go attack on offense and really get the offense going. I noticed this because at the end of the Golden State game Lamar was lagging on getting up the court on offense. Tonight, that was not an issue.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:

phil has changed following the dumb loss at portland. he has decided to begin coaching a young, indecisive team.

I couldn't make the game, but watching it live, I was on the verge of tears with a few minutes left. this past year has been a challenge, not just for the lakers, but for me personally. katrina, illness, weight loss.

this lakers team seems almost tied to my soul.

as for the lakers, my question is: "Will this be a one game phenomena?"

I certainly hope not. I guess, he's decided that the risk of the players turning a deaf ear on him, ala hubie brown, is minimal at this point in the season. the players have looked in the mirror and see an unseasonable hilariousness during the most somber point of a funeral.

except for kobe, the players know they are not leaders. so they need a coach that gets in their face and rewards effort with playing time.

you can't make gold out of a granite, however, granite can be of use to a wise planner. in this regard, we cannot expect chris to be a 38-42 minute player, we just need to accept that he'll be foul proned, but offers us a valuable offensive low post presence and a swatter (as he did at least on ONE memorable occasion last night). in this same light, kwame cannot be expected to be a consistent low post offensive presence, however, defensively, he bodies up better than mihm does and gives the lakers a different look with rebounds.

we can't expect kobe to play both ends of the court at a blazing rate! putting kobe to guard chauncey billups and smush on rip hamilton was an excellent choice. this was a brian shaw tweak (especially since smush had done that in practice a year or so ago).

smush won't be the ball handler, or PG answer. however he is serviceable, at least for now. brian shaw is doing his best to get smush to alter certain tendencies. his defense on rip hamilton (when kobe switched to guarding chauncey billups) was the best I'd seen ALL year. following the portland game, I had all but given up on his waning skills as a defender. apparently, bshaw has not.

lamar. wow! that two put back attempts and eventual score, was the type of tenacity I thought he'd bring, from miami, after a few nondescript years in clipShop. It has little to do with kobe handling the ball; it has more to do with effort.

finally, when was the last time you saw the lakers fight for the ball, WITHOUT giving up, UNTIL they actually got it. I saw a few, encouraging times.

I'm not fully convinced that we'll see consistency. this team has been a teaser. I've become wary at best at giving any more positive statements.

I certainly hope this is NOT a one or two game phenomena. I hope for better things, however, it will take leadership on phil's behalf. the players are tired of underperforming and do indeed seek leadership.

I hope phil answers the call and engages it. I hope he re-reads the "Art of War."

san antonio awaits us.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:

...........3. Kobe is a nigtmare to Billups. Chauncey isn't real fast, but he's real strong. Having Kobe on him made it so the passes Rip Hamilton usually gets weren't there.

great point!

(bleep) for tat....... strength vs. strength. billups is very strong. so is kobe.

and putting smush on rip was a great (bshaw) wrinkle; props for phil for implementing it. besides smush* knows rip's tendencies, why not put it SOME use? (*smush had a short stint with Detroit for 11 games or so.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
.....Obviously, this team isn't capable of beating a SA or DET in a series - But tonights win was still sweet...it brought back a familiar satisfaction..familiar, yet at the same time..one that had been missing of late. It was good to experience that again.

props sean!

I had mentioned it during the game thread, i.e. for several moments, I actually felt the "magic" visited the staples. very odd since I was watching away from staples. this fleeting sense (hopefully it revisits us and decides to remain), reminded me of a time in the early 80s at the forum.

nostalgic.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject:

melo061 wrote:
Lol, Odom is probably giving us false hope then next game he'll go for 2 points

Great win though, i was amazoned actually

:roll:

Gee ... thanks for the backhanded compliment.
rHaPsOdY
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:

really suprised by these amazing guys, we're goin' to see them all the way to playoff i think
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

Good Job.
I'd say it was one of the Laker's most satisfying victories in the last 2 seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:

Great job as always, DB. That was definitely the biggest win of the year. Compliments to Phil Jackson on putting Smush against Hamilton and Kobe on Billups. The last thing Kobe needed was to guard someone like Hamilton who's constantly using screens to get open. Kobe wasn't feeling well and didn't need to cover someone who's constantly moving from sideline to sideline. Great win.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

If Lamar can play like that everynight........ WATCH OUT for this team in the PLAYOFFS. we overcame a 13 point deficit and was able to win with an 18-0 run (even with the refs and there questionable calls) that foul they called on mihm against rip was atrocious.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: