if yao in lakers??????????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chentaoliang
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: if yao in lakers??????????

I cannt imagine how good if yao join in lakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
champion ????
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

Are you from China?
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: if yao in lakers??????????

chentaoliang wrote:
I cannt imagine how good if yao join in lakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
champion ????
No doubt!
KB8@LG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Yao = soft and expensive

no thanx
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

yao is probably the single most overrated player in the nba.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

Name the centers that are better than Yao. Now, consider he's still maturing as a player. A center who puts up those numbers is valuable.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Name the centers that are better than Yao. Now, consider he's still maturing as a player. A center who puts up those numbers is valuable.

shaquille o'neal
amare stoudamire
ben wallace
marcus camby
pau gasol
mehmet okur

tim duncan and jermaine o'neal also play a lot of center and are both much better.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject:

once yao develops some stamina and can actually play a full game, then we can talk...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

also keep in mind that in the playoffs...the defense is ratcheted up. yao is a fairly easy player to contain. all you need is a smaller, quicker player that can beat him to rebounds and mess up his footwork on offense. he also gets winded after 5 minutes.
JimRaynor55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:

Yeah right. Yao is currently UNDERrated. Lot's of commentators and supposedly "smart" fans don't even think he deserves to be an All-Star (not just start, but go there period). Lots of people think he sucks at rebounding, when in fact he grabs a higher percentage of his available rebounding opportunities than most players (rpg is trash, and doesn't account for game pace or the rebounds that you're losing).

da ocho wrote:
angel wrote:

shaquille o'neal
amare stoudamire
ben wallace
marcus camby
pau gasol
mehmet okur

tim duncan and jermaine o'neal also play a lot of center and are both much better.

The only centers here that are better than Yao are Shaq, and Amare IF he comes back and is as good as he was pre-injury. Duncan is too, if you consider him a center. The rest of these guys aren't.
JimRaynor55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
also keep in mind that in the playoffs...the defense is ratcheted up.

And Yao averaged about 0.655 FG% in his most recent playoffs.

Quote:
yao is a fairly easy player to contain. all you need is a smaller, quicker player that can beat him to rebounds and mess up his footwork on offense.

That explains why he's always surrounded by 2-3 defenders, right? :roll:

Quote:
he also gets winded after 5 minutes.

His stamina isn't that great, but he's averaging over 33 minutes, which isn't bad.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Yao is underrated if anything. A 7'6 guy that can shoot from the outside as well as play with his back to the basket and can hit over 80% of his free throws is a game changer.

The problem with the Rockets and Yao is that they have the wrong coach. I'm not saying JVG is bad, I'm just saying he's the wrong coach for that team.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
once yao develops some stamina and can actually play a full game, then we can talk...

Something he will never be able to do with his responsibilities he has to fill for the Chinese basketball and his size. It takes alot of oxygen to keep that body going...
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

kobenbynum wrote:
Yao is underrated if anything. A 7'6 guy that can shoot from the outside as well as play with his back to the basket and can hit over 80% of his free throws is a game changer.

The problem with the Rockets and Yao is that they have the wrong coach. I'm not saying JVG is bad, I'm just saying he's the wrong coach for that team.

if you won't say it, i'll go ahead and say it for you. he's an overrated coach. offensively, the guy is as bad as they come.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Most of the names mentioned are PFs playing out of position. There aren't many true centers. Yao Ming is valuable.
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Yao Ming for Bynum? Hell no!
Laker_Leo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Yao Ming just doesn't seem to have the fire that burns to DOMINATE. I too think he plays way to soft relying more on his jumpshot rather than posting up that Huge Body of his. He can sometimes show spurts of throwing it down but not enough for my likings. I think i'll pass on this 7 footer.

"Throw it Down Big Man, Throw it Down." Stu Lantz
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

JimRaynor-

the dude is soft as hell and does not dominate games in any way. ben wallace can do that despite this stat lines. yao is a maxed out player. you think he's a franchise player? the rockets are doing so well this year. :roll:
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Yao's quietly having a fantastic year and has improved in pretty much every aspect in his every year here, miraculously, that includes minutes. These are his last 7 games:

29 pts, 15 boards, 2 blocks
22 pts, 21 boards, 2 blocks
29 pts, 11 boards, 2 blocks
27 pts, 18 boards, 5 dimes
22 pts, 13 boards, 3 assists
21 pts, 11 boards, 4 assists, 4 blocks
32 pts, 13 boards, and 36 minutes in a blowout win against the Blazers tonight.

especially with the lack of true 2-way centers in the league, I take Yao in a heartbeat. There's plenty of myths circulating around Yao being soft or whatever because of the guy's demeanor among other things. Yao has a true impact on both ends, and he's a true center unlike all the power forwards (like Amare, who doesn't play defense) playing out of position.
JimRaynor55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject:

Laker Leo wrote:
Yao Ming just doesn't seem to have the fire that burns to DOMINATE. I too think he plays way to soft relying more on his jumpshot rather than posting up that Huge Body of his. He can sometimes show spurts of throwing it down but not enough for my likings. I think i'll pass on this 7 footer.

Yet this season his TS% (FG% adjusted for 3pt shots and FTs) is higher than that of Shaq, the quintessential dunking big man. Last season, Yao's TS% was even higher, and he was virtually tied with Amare, who everyone on this board loves. I would also like to point out that although Amare dunked more, a greater portion of his FGAs were jumpshots outside the paint (take a look at the "shot selection" percentages under "Player Stats" for Yao and Amare last season at 82games.com).

How a guy scores is irrelevant anyway, because it's just a means to an end. The fact is that Yao is a very efficient scorer.

da ocho wrote:
JimRaynor-

the dude is soft as hell and does not dominate games in any way.

Please, explain and quantify "soft" and "dominate." These are subjective terms that can mean whatever you want it to mean, but you're using your own OPINIONS about them to judge Yao's performance.

Quote:
ben wallace can do that despite this stat lines.

Ben Wallace, "dominates" games when he can't even score? :roll: Put him on a team that doesn't have 3 other All-Star or near All-Star players, where HE will be forced to carry the team, and you'll have the worst team in the league.

Quote:
yao is a maxed out player. you think he's a franchise player? the rockets are doing so well this year. :roll:

You're talking about a team where the two stars have missed over 30 games combined, and has one of the oldest and crappiest supporting casts. :roll:
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject:

Yes, the Lakers wanted him. The Rockets won't let him get away. Yao Ming is gettting better.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I'll take Yao any day - agree with others on this thread who think he's underrated. He does what he does quietly. I've watched games with him where you don't think he'd done that much then you look at the box score and he's got 25 and 12 with 3 blocked shots.

He'd be perfect to pair with Kobe because he's not a game dominator or closer, but he's an absolutely superb contributor who's only getting better. Since he had some rest with that toe injury he's been on absolute fire. You won't see another center in awhile (except maybe Oden) who's able to put up the kind of numbers he is. And beyond the numbers, the amount of shots he changes in a game is incredible.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I agree with this, although Yao has potential a few more years, pumping iron, working on his game, he'll be unstoppable!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

In the past, I've thought that Yao was an overrated player, but quitely he has become the best player on that wretched Houston team, putting up 20 and 10 on 50+% shooting.
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

You wouldn't trade Bynum for Yao? Come the (bleep) on now. If the offense was more focused on Yao than McGrady or Francis before, H-town would be a lot better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: