Kobe, Coach K and Colangelo on ABC now...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Kobe, Coach K and Colangelo on ABC now...

uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

Recap please!

(And video if someone wants to make one)
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

recap it like its hot.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

so what wuz said?
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

They were talking about the olympics. And why some players was not in the roster such as Allen Iverson.
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
They were talking about the olympics. And why some players was not in the roster such as Allen Iverson.

Because he's a thug?
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

FredG wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

Because he's a thug?

Sure
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

There really wasn't anything new said. Excited about playing for Coach K, opportunity to represent the USA, yadda yadda yadda.

AI not being picked wasn't about him, it was about who was selected, keep age in mind, Shaq has an open invite, etc.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

Noted that they've got 7 of the Top 8 scorers in the league invited... so scoring isn't an issue. Wanted a more balanced roster of guys that can play more than one position, so they can put a bunch of different lineups on the floor.

(at work... so that's about all I caught, plus what's already been mentioned)
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

I hope kobe said something nice about iverson ,iverson defend him during his case.It was the time to defend iverson ,to show respect.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

I hope they add some more outside shooting to the team.

That has been sorely missing from the last few USA teams, that is why guys like Iverson need not apply as we are not trying to build a brick edifice here.
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

Kobe just talked about how it was an honor to play for Team USA. Said he was looking forward to finally playing for Coach K, a guy he admires and would have played for at Duke (and maybe LA). Said last night was a great team win.

Pretty boring interview, but the questions were lame so Kobe gave some generic answers.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I hope they add some more outside shooting to the team.

That has been sorely missing from the last few USA teams, that is why guys like Iverson need not apply as we are not trying to build a brick edifice here.

HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

Iverson not getting invited is a joke. The guy is shooting over 45% from the field. He is averaging over 7 assists. These last two seasons have been two of his best...he is not showing signs of slowing down. And he really cares...he WANTS to be on the team.

His reputation is what hurts him, plain and simple. Basketball wise, he is no doubt one of the best players of all time. And still is today.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

HawaiianPunch wrote:
Iverson not getting invited is a joke. The guy is shooting over 45% from the field. He is averaging over 7 assists. These last two seasons have been two of his best...he is not showing signs of slowing down. And he really cares...he WANTS to be on the team.

His reputation is what hurts him, plain and simple. Basketball wise, he is no doubt one of the best players of all time. And still is today.

He was on the last team that was lucky to get a bronze. Part of his problem is like Duncan he relies on NBA refs to put him on the line on minimal contact over and over again.

Not to mention his defense was subpar which is why the Euro playing for Indiana now lit him up big time. Because he can make a shot instead of just driving to the basket, falling down and whining for a call.

Once the NBA refs disappeared, so did Iverson's game for the most part. As did Duncan's. I wouldn't allow anyone from that last team on this team.....and keep Larry Brown as far away from the proceedings as possible.

Luke Ridenour is a far better choice than Iverson. Why? He can make a shot.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

Didn't Iverson exhibit bad behavior? Didn't he get suspended for team misconduct or something. I think he didn't practice and or was late for team meetings also encouraging others to skip practices or meetings (Lebron and Melo). I remember that a couple of summers ago. I think that's why he wasn't invited.
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
HawaiianPunch wrote:

He was on the last team that was lucky to get a bronze. Part of his problem is like Duncan he relies on NBA refs to put him on the line on minimal contact over and over again.

Not to mention his defense was subpar which is why the Euro playing for Indiana now lit him up big time. Because he can make a shot instead of just driving to the basket, falling down and whining for a call.

Once the NBA refs disappeared, so did Iverson's game for the most part. As did Duncan's. I wouldn't allow anyone from that last team on this team.....and keep Larry Brown as far away from the proceedings as possible.

FG%
Iverson - 45.3%
Ridnour - 41.9%

3FG%
Iverson - 32.1%
Ridnour - 26.7%

How again is Ridnour a better shooter then Iverson?

Iverson averages more assists, steals and rebounds.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:

Ridenour doesn't drive the ball, but he will make wide open outside shots.

Iverson and the rest of the US team couldn't make a shot outside of 15 feet in the last olympics.

Pretty easy to defend a team like that, you just sag back and zone it up and let them fire up brick after brick.

Which is exactly what the US did.

Iverson not being on the team is no loss at all. But I still don't like the mix of players they have come up with, there is still a serious lack of outside shooting and that is a critical component to the international game with all the zones.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

I agree with the mentality of having role players.

The Last USA team lacked role players. What they need is two dominant scorers - one outside and one inside - and the rest of the team's makeup should be for offensive and defensive roles such as shotblocking, rebounding, passing and shooting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
HawaiianPunch wrote:

You absolutely cannot say AI's game disappeared. He adapted to the international game extremely well I'd say..
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

He did?

We will have to agree to disagree. I thought the USA got absolutely killed at the guard spots in the critical games.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

AI shot about 37% in the last olympics which is hardly impressive.

On another note can you imagine Kobe attacking from the international three point line? He'll be even more unstopable than he is now.
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
He did?

We will have to agree to disagree. I thought the USA got absolutely killed at the guard spots in the critical games.

Right, there were games where the perimeter defense resembled the Lakers perimeter defense at times. I was thinking more offensively and AI taking advantage of his speed against opponents. I don't think he even was in top condition.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Wade can't make a shot from 15 feet, how did he get an invite?
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I mean Iverson deserves a gold medal too. Now that Kobe is on the olypics team it is almost guaranteed that the GOld is coming back to the States.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: