Kobe, Coach K and Colangelo on ABC now...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:
Wade can't make a shot from 15 feet, how did he get an invite?
Maybe he'll be playing PF?
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:

Well he is probably the most explosive player in terms of getting to the rim. We need that at least. Iverson is the same way but the refs aren't going to call ticky tack fouls when Iverson falls down in the lane. At least Wade can finish with authority in the paint.
I am just surprised by bastards like Lewis and Redd not playing considering it should be an honor for fringe Allstars.
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
AI shot about 37% in the last olympics which is hardly impressive.

On another note can you imagine Kobe attacking from the international three point line? He'll be even more unstopable than he is now.

I don't remember his shooting percentage, but he was the leading scorer on that team.

Listen people want to knock Iverson for being a member of that Bronze Medal team, then fine. But remember that Duncan, James, Wade, Amare, Marion, Odom and Carmelo were on that team too. Was Iverson the worst out of that group?

It's insulting that Iverson doesnt even get an invite to tryout. Luke Ridnour? Come on, you can't be serious. I understand this whole "we dont want a team of superstars" thing, but Iverson is playing some of the best basketball of his career right now.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:

Because, he can play MULTIPLE positions. Which is what they wanted out of the guys they're sending. AI is a bad influence off the court. Bron was showing up late for practice with AI being the reason cause they had been "buddying up, all week".

AI isn't a professional. He doesn't like practice and lives for the night. No way do you send an 30+ ball DOMINANT scoring PG to the Olympics.

Notice how they got ALL PGs that are ok with playing off the ball and with other superstars? AI has the best passing big-man in the game in Chris Webber and a very good initiating SF in Iggy and STILL doesn't allow others to play with the ball a lot.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:

HawaiianPunch wrote:
uberzev wrote:
AI shot about 37% in the last olympics which is hardly impressive.

On another note can you imagine Kobe attacking from the international three point line? He'll be even more unstopable than he is now.

I don't remember his shooting percentage, but he was the leading scorer on that team.

Listen people want to knock Iverson for being a member of that Bronze Medal team, then fine. But remember that Duncan, James, Wade, Amare, Marion, Odom and Carmelo were on that team too. Was Iverson the worst out of that group?

It's insulting that Iverson doesnt even get an invite to tryout. Luke Ridnour? Come on, you can't be serious. I understand this whole "we dont want a team of superstars" thing, but Iverson is playing some of the best basketball of his career right now.

No, he's putting up the best STATS of his career. His best year was in 01' when Larry Brown FORCED him to play off-the-ball and allow everyone ELSE to do the passing and setting up of the offense. Now, Iverson is back to his ball-dominating with the ball in his hands for more of the 24 second clock than Steve Nash with FAR fewer simple passes. Only time Iverson passes the ball is if it's a sure 2 points. NEVER does he just pass to let someone else set things up for a teammate or themselves.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
rchanou wrote:

Because, he can play MULTIPLE positions. Which is what they wanted out of the guys they're sending. AI is a bad influence off the court. Bron was showing up late for practice with AI being the reason cause they had been "buddying up, all week".

AI isn't a professional. He doesn't like practice and lives for the night. No way do you send an 30+ ball DOMINANT scoring PG to the Olympics.

Notice how they got ALL PGs that are ok with playing off the ball and with other superstars? AI has the best passing big-man in the game in Chris Webber and a very good initiating SF in Iggy and STILL doesn't allow others to play with the ball a lot.

So then play Iverson at SG instead of PG.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Iverson can play either SG or PG. Wade is more athletic and younger, but I would take A.I. over him. A.I. can at least shoot the 3. A.I. can get to the rim and finish in traffic just as well as Wade.

05-06 3P%
A.I. .321
Wade .118
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

HawaiianPunch wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
rchanou wrote:

Ohhhh suuuure!!!

Just like they did with the AI and Marbury backcourt?

:roll:

Sorry, Iverson doesn't play D. He's what you call a GREAT stat padder. Puts up the stats consistently and NEVER wins. He's got a VERY balanced starting 5 and yet he can't stay consistently over .500? And he's a Top player deserving of a roster spot? :roll:
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:
Iverson can play either SG or PG. Wade is more athletic and younger, but I would take A.I. over him. A.I. can at least shoot the 3. A.I. can get to the rim and finish in traffic just as well as Wade.

05-06 3P%
A.I. .321
Wade .118

And yet people who know FAR more about basketball, chose otherwise.

Hmmmm...
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
HawaiianPunch wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
rchanou wrote:

Ohhhh suuuure!!!

Just like they did with the AI and Marbury backcourt?

:roll:

Sorry, Iverson doesn't play D. He's what you call a GREAT stat padder. Puts up the stats consistently and NEVER wins. He's got a VERY balanced starting 5 and yet he can't stay consistently over .500? And he's a Top player deserving of a roster spot? :roll:

What does an AI and Marbury backcourt have anything to do with it? Are you saying that Billups and Paul are the same type of PGs as Marbury?

Iverson never wins? Who on this roster has? Kobe. Billups. Bowen. That's it. Only one other player has been to an NBA Finals...Iverson.

If you honestly don't think that Iverson is a top player in the NBA then we just will agree to disagree. You can have Luke Ridnour and JJ Reddick.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
rchanou wrote:

05-06 3P%
A.I. .321
Wade .118

Hmmmm...

Yeah. I'm not an NBA exec or GM but I'm just curious about Colangelo's process. I don't see how I guy who carried his team to the Finals could be snubbed so easily.
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
rchanou wrote:

05-06 3P%
A.I. .321
Wade .118

Hmmmm...

Because everyone knows that leaders and executives can never be wrong or questioned by us common folk.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

People, this is not an All-Star game! Stop acting like Iverson is getting snubbed from an All-Star team. Team USA owes Iverson nothing.

Coach K and Jerry Colangelo are putting together a team THEY THINK has the best shot at winning a gold. Obviously they didn't feel Iverson fit into their plan! They aren't trying to put together an All-Star team!

Also, with the roster they have now - Iverson is NOT NEEDED. They already have scorers!
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

If shooting is required for international competition I don't see how Wade possibly got an invite. I have never seen a highlight of him shooting the ball. For a guard you should be required to be shooting at least .300 from 3 point land.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:
People, this is not an All-Star game! Stop acting like Iverson is getting snubbed from an All-Star team. Team USA owes Iverson nothing.

Coach K and Jerry Colangelo are putting together a team THEY THINK has the best shot at winning a gold. Obviously they didn't feel Iverson fit into their plan! They aren't trying to put together an All-Star team!

Also, with the roster they have now - Iverson is NOT NEEDED. They already have scorers!

People are just curious why he was not invited? What qualities do some of the other players have that Iverson does not?
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:

Since I apparently am not smart enough to figure out why Iverson is not needed on the team, tell me why Carmelo Anthony is needed? I'm just curious. I can throw a few other names out there, but if Iverson is not needed, what is Melo bringing that other SFs on the team dont already provide? Not scoring. Not rebounding. Not passing. Not defense. What?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

People are just curious why he was not invited? What qualities do some of the other players have that Iverson does not?

Others wouldn't feel "disrespected" by having Kobe be the focus of the offense and LeBron the second option. Everyone on that team are willing to be "role players".

Who actually thinks AI would be cool with that? Who thinks that AI would be comfortable just shooting the open jumper and setting an offense up in which Kobe and LeBron will be featured?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

HawaiianPunch wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

Since I apparently am not smart enough to figure out why Iverson is not needed on the team, tell me why Carmelo Anthony is needed? I'm just curious. I can throw a few other names out there, but if Iverson is not needed, what is Melo bringing that other SFs on the team dont already provide? Not scoring. Not rebounding. Not passing. Not defense. What?

A pipeline of talent for the next 12 years of competition. He's young and will be around a long while. The guys who don't make the team are still part of the National team. They just won't be making the trip to the Olympic games.
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
HawaiianPunch wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

A pipeline of talent for the next 12 years of competition. He's young and will be around a long while. The guys who don't make the team are still part of the National team. They just won't be making the trip to the Olympic games.

So him sitting on the bench (or not even traveling to the Olympics at all, like you said) is going to help USA basketball down the road? And that is more important then trying to put together the best player to win now?

Does Melo know this is the plan, because I don't think he liked sitting on the bench last time?
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
rchanou wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

Others wouldn't feel "disrespected" by having Kobe be the focus of the offense and LeBron the second option. Everyone on that team are willing to be "role players".

Who actually thinks AI would be cool with that? Who thinks that AI would be comfortable just shooting the open jumper and setting an offense up in which Kobe and LeBron will be featured?

How do you know AI would not feel comfortable playing the third option behind Kobe and James? Did you speak to him personally? Did Colagnelo tell you this? Has he publically said this?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
rchanou wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

How do you know AI would not feel comfortable playing the third option behind Kobe and James? Did you speak to him personally? Did Colagnelo tell you this? Has he publically said this?

Let's see...because he didn't get invited??? Look, AI went through the interview process just like everyone else (except for Kobe if you believe Screamin A). Of the top 8 scorers in the NBA, he's the ONLY one who didn't pass. If we know anything about AI, he has never played behind ANYBODY in his whole career. What makes you think he's gonna start now?? Keep in mind, I'm not faulting AI, but he is who he is. And if you're trying to build a team that's gonna compete for the next several years, you have to take that into consideration if you don't plan on building around him.
akula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

one word, FUTURE
Carmelo, Wade and Lebron wil be the key members for 2012 Gold..not AI
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone mentioned how Nike is sponsoring the Olympic Team, how every player invited is under contract is with Nike...

And how AI is with Reebok?

If this has already been discussed, my bad.
rubintan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

The Associated Press report headline says Kobe to become centerpiece of the Olympic team. Coach K says it's Kobe's time to lead the team to the World and Olympic championships.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
Has anyone mentioned how Nike is sponsoring the Olympic Team, how every player invited is under contract is with Nike...

And how AI is with Reebok?

If this has already been discussed, my bad.

Gilbert Arenas, Shane Battie, Chauncy Billups, Dwight Howard and Atawn Jamison aren't under Nike contracts.

Wade and Melo are on Converse and Jordan, but those are affiliates of Nike.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: