Mihm of last year = This years Kwame
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Mihm of last year = This years Kwame

It seems like everyone quickly forgot what an inconsistent player Mihm was last year. Everyone was comparing him to Samaki night in and night out. He'd have one good game at home and 12 terrible games following that mostly on the road. He couldn't catch a ball to save his life and caused the team alot of turnovers.

Look what one offseason has done for him. He's patient now, catches the ball, and just works his way to the hoop. Last year he would let each pass slip past his hands and out of bounds, much like our boy Kwame. I think we should just give Kwame another year like we did with Mihm, and see what happens. We have to remember that Kwame is still very young, with tons of room for improvement.
Siguy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry but I totally disagree.

Mihm was totally inconsistent last year, playing great sometimes and disappearing others, but he was still 5 times better than Kwame has been (and for 2 or 3 million less dollars). Especially offensively. Mihm was never as lost offensively as Kwame is.

Kwame isn't inconsistent. He's always bad with the exception of a few games where he plays good defense. Basically he's a good one on one defender who is consistently bad in every other way.

Also, Mihm doesn't have great hands, but he never had hands as bad as Kwame. Not saying Kwame can't improve.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Mihm disappeared on the road frequently last year...at least he showed up at home...Kwame's been too inconsistent both at home and away this season...also, not saying he can't improve also.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Ahh dude seriously don't even insult Chris Mihm like that. Kwame is in a league of his own.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Siguy wrote:

Mihm was totally inconsistent last year, playing great sometimes and disappearing others, but he was still 5 times better than Kwame has been (and for 2 or 3 million less dollars). Especially offensively. Mihm was never as lost offensively as Kwame is.

Kwame isn't inconsistent. He's always bad with the exception of a few games where he plays good defense. Basically he's a good one on one defender who is consistently bad in every other way.

Also, Mihm doesn't have great hands, but he never had hands as bad as Kwame. Not saying Kwame can't improve.

I disagree with you too. Mihm was dropping passes like crazy last year, and I seem to recall everyone calling for his head. He would disappear and was just playing without patience, much like Kwame. I clearly recall Stu saying "Mihm learned how to calm down and use patience to get his points" during the preseason, and thats exactly what Kwames problem is this year, he's impatient. He is totally capable of big scoring night while playing superb defense. He just needs to get his act together and learn how to do that.
dyNastY-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

KingKobeDubbz wrote:
Ahh dude seriously don't even insult Chris Mihm like that. Kwame is in a league of his own.

You are just saying that , because of Mihm's late play this season.

If we would be fastforwarded to last season you wudnt be saying this.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject:

I agree with the initial statement. Chris was dubbed a bum last season. And all of a sudden he is bonafide starter in this era. The good thing about Kwame is if he totally blows it this coming season it's a team option. They can trade that 9 mil salary next season to some team looking for cap relief, correct me if I'm wrong but his 3rd wasn't guaranteed last I heard.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

The original poster has a good point. Mihm's hands were really bad last year. I was one of the guys who kept comparing him to Samalki "brick hands" Walker. He was horrible offensively. But he has picked it up and improved this season. I dont have a problem with giving Kwame some time. Were stuck with him for 2 more years anyways.
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject:

difference was mihm had a pretty good post game, and had a soft touch game near the basket. mihm was smooth and had finesse, only problem was consistency/foul trouble. kwame has a decent face up game but has no finesse around the basket. he has nothing resembling a soft touch. i still dont understand why he cant just dunk the ball sometimes, seems intimidated to draw contact and go to the line or just timid period.

its been stated by kareem that kwame hasn't sought out his help yet as he feels he's a face up player. despite this most of the time kwame gets the ball, or rebounds it he handles it w/ his back to the basket. his biggest problem is finishing. kareem could help him greatly w/ getting a softer touch around the rim.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:

Excellent point. I never thought to make that comparison, but now that I think about it, it's very accurate. Mihm was "Mr. Cement hands" last season, much in the way Kwame is this year. Yet this year, Mihm has been solid and consistent - no more cement claws. Kwame's defense is better than Mihm's, though - so that's one really good element that we do get from Kwame night in and night out.

Nice to think of that "hope" as to Kwame's future offense, though.
LakerLove
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

I was talking about this with my brother last night. I really hope he can turn his game around as much as Mihm did.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mihm of last year = This years Kwame

PushingtheLimit wrote:
It seems like everyone quickly forgot what an inconsistent player Mihm was last year. Everyone was comparing him to Samaki night in and night out. He'd have one good game at home and 12 terrible games following that mostly on the road. He couldn't catch a ball to save his life and caused the team alot of turnovers.

Look what one offseason has done for him. He's patient now, catches the ball, and just works his way to the hoop. Last year he would let each pass slip past his hands and out of bounds, much like our boy Kwame. I think we should just give Kwame another year like we did with Mihm, and see what happens. We have to remember that Kwame is still very young, with tons of room for improvement.

Dead on...

Even I had forgotten about that but I did remember that there was a reason why Mihm was not a great choice for starting C. Dude couldn't put 2 good games together to save his life....and he was on the injured list or partially injured for most of the season...

I'd take defense over offense anyday. Kwame or Mihm? not even close.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject:

I hope Kwame makes big strides in his game during the Summer. I hope he goes to Big Man Camp. The potential for a breakout is there.
Warm Fuzzies
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject:

I dont agree, because Mihm still contributed last year. Remember the monster season opener he had? Kwame hasnt shown that yet, BUT I still believe in Kwame like no other. I dont plan to dismiss Kwame as a Laker until his contract expires, we need to give him time. He's never been in a consistent system, so asking him to be Jermaine O'Neal in his first season is unrealistic and unfair to him, or course he's making 8 million a year, but we're not the ones paying him. We're not about to cut him right now or anytime soon, otherwise we traded Caron and Chucky for NOTHING. Like Bynum, Kwame is a gamble. WE've seen Kwame show flashes of brilliance and we've also seen the times where it makes you go, "wtf.....how come he's in the NBA?" but I guarantee you that Kwame will become a solid PF/C in 3 years.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject:

Kwame had 10.9/7.4 in his third season. If he can get back to that by the end of the season and improve just a little next season, it will be good.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

I'd really like to believe that but Mihm was adjusting to big minutes and had his best season, despite his flaws. Kwame has seen big minutes before and actually seems to be digressing this season. I truly hope he makes me eat my words though.
L33T kObE8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:

I was going to start a thread about this too. People who say Mihm was never this lost last year? You have no idea what you're talking about. Mihm had games last season where he didn't score at all or only made 1 shot the whole game. Mihm was also ineffective because in half of the games, he got into early foul trouble and was completely taken out of the game. People think Mihm has always been playing this way, but he hasn't. Mihm has made HUGE improvements, and if you can't see that he was just as inconsistent as Kwame, then youre not paying attention. If Kwame can average 10rpg that's great for us. He's going to get some points (maybe around 6 or 7ppg)
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

Siguy wrote:

5x?

NOt so sure.

Give credit where credit is due.

Kareem baby, Kareem.

It's just a matter of one off-season with Kobe and Kwame will realize. Not to mention Kwame needs to also realize he is not necessarily a face-up player.

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
LakersGirl4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Here is the difference between Chris and Kwame... We were not paying Chris 7.5 million dollars. No one knew what to expect from Chris. he wasn't supposed to be a starter... Kwame was brought in with expectations that he has been unable to fulfil. For the kind of money he is being paid, I expected more out of him.

Chris was not very good last season and has shown HUGE improvements over the off-season. And they brought in the best to coach all the big men. so why hasn't Kwame sought that help?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

LakersGirl4Life wrote:
Here is the difference between Chris and Kwame... We were not paying Chris 7.5 million dollars. No one knew what to expect from Chris. he wasn't supposed to be a starter... Kwame was brought in with expectations that he has been unable to fulfil. For the kind of money he is being paid, I expected more out of him.

Chris was not very good last season and has shown HUGE improvements over the off-season. And they brought in the best to coach all the big men. so why hasn't Kwame sought that help?

For 15 million I'm sure the Knicks expected more out of Allan Houston and the Magic expected more out of Grant Hill for that amount. Heck, even Phoenix expected more out of Amare this season. Often in the NBA expectations aren't met. How much you pay a guy is based on what you expect, but injuries, learning curves, and a host of other malady's often put a franchise in a position where they aren't getting what they paid for for every moment of the contract. That's why GM's look at the package and if Kwame is able to avg 11 & 8 over the life of his contract, then I'm sure the Lakers will be happy that they've gotten what they've paid for just as I'm certain Phoenix will be happ if Amare comes back and contributes again. But if Amare turns out to be another Grant Hill and can't come back from his injury at near the same level of play, or keeps getting reinjured with his high wire act play, then that contract starts to look like it's far too much and franchise crippling. By no stretch of the imagination is Kwame's contract franchis crippling.

So it's a good idea to let the man who is actually signing the checks worry about who is actually worth what. Kwmae has value as long as Buss see's fit to pay him and that value is EXACTLY what ever Buss want's to sign the check for. Mihm did struggle last season, and Kwame has been able to at least stay on the floor longer than Chris was able to last year. In a years time Chris has become comfortable in a new environment, with new players around him, better coaching, and another year of his game maturing and it's showed in his play on the court. I expect the same will be true of Kwame NEXT season.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

This is yet another bad comparison. Mihm is not a top-shelf athlete like Kwame and Mihm would give us good production when he wasn't in foul trouble. What's Kwame's excuse?
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
The original poster has a good point. Mihm's hands were really bad last year. I was one of the guys who kept comparing him to Samalki "brick hands" Walker. He was horrible offensively. But he has picked it up and improved this season. I dont have a problem with giving Kwame some time. Were stuck with him for 2 more years anyways.

same here. if kwame even shows the slightes improvment like Mihm has shown in the offseason, then we should judge. Give kwame some time. He is a laker now, not a wizard. And yes he has shown improvment.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
I hope Kwame makes big strides in his game during the Summer. I hope he goes to Big Man Camp. The potential for a breakout is there.

agree. Helped cook alot also.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
This is yet another bad comparison. Mihm is not a top-shelf athlete like Kwame and Mihm would give us good production when he wasn't in foul trouble. What's Kwame's excuse?

Kwame's excuse. That's extremely simple: Lack of Confidence...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Chris mihm took his fair off bashin last season. But look what the tough love did for hm, either that or kareem
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: