any chance we still go for penny?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japboy renalover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: any chance we still go for penny?

we could release devin green and potentially pick up penny?

i would not mind this for our depths chart in pg/sg/sf

odom/george/walton
kobe/jackson/mckie
smush/penny/sasha

basically sasha and walton getting 0 or garbage minutes only.

if mitch could pull this off, i would consider this to be a minor coup.
Eagle2904
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: any chance we still go for penny?

japboy renalover wrote:
we could release devin green and potentially pick up penny?

i would not mind this for our depths chart in pg/sg/sf

odom/george/walton
kobe/jackson/mckie
smush/penny/sasha

basically sasha and walton getting 0 or garbage minutes only.

if mitch could pull this off, i would consider this to be a minor coup.

i don't think he'll come before sasha in the rotation. there's a reason he didn't get ANY playing time with the Knicks. there's a reason he got cut from a team that's doing worse than we are.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
dgrynch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind having Penny. It depends on how much he has left in the tank and how quickly he can pick up the triangle. If the $$$ is right and he is not too expensive, then let's get him.
JRocc88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

i agree...even if he doesn't play this year. If you sign him to a 2 yr contract and let him heal the rest of this season, and let him get to know the system alittle, then he'll make a stronger contribution next season.

I think 1mil/yr. is about right. not likely he'll take that though...
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:

No way would I drop Devin Green for Penny...how silly would that be? The only reason we kept Devin is because Phil sees something in him for the long-term. So dropping him for a questionable Penny for a 1/4 of a season would be pointless.

McKie would be the better option to drop, or even Wafer.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

I share Phil's opinion on Devin Green too...he has the look of a real player.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

That said, if Penny's available, I'd love to pick him up and try him out for the remainder of the season, and see if he's healthy and can fit into what we're doing. If he can, include him on the playoff roster if he really impresses, and if we don't feel he'll be a liability in terms of injury that would leave us short at G (we'd have to leave Sasha off playoff roster if we included Penny, and then we'd only have 1 real point guard with 2 shooting guards and tweener in George).
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

if mckie is actually done for the season why not? i'd rather have a player on my team who could potentially get injured than a player who will never set foot on the court for the rest of the season.
Sunhills'm I
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:

Penny & Mckie could lead our IRL; YES !!!!!
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Just because a player is available doesn't mean we should pick him up. What would be the point of picking up Penny? Where will his minutes come?

Some Laker fans really need to start watching more basketball and realize that Sasha and Walton aren't as bad as you all think. I'm quite sure that other teams wish they had Sasha and Walton on some nights...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Sunhills'm I wrote:
Penny & Mckie could lead our IRL; YES !!!!!

Brilliant!
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Actually, what I would like us to do is never sign another vet to any mid level contract. We have wasted 2 years of this (bleep) on broken, lowsy players. if you are gonna use the MLE, use it on a real player and sign him up for 4 to 5 years on it instead of the stupid 1 year 1 option contract. If not, you might as well save yourself all of it and not do it because all you will get for it is what we have gotten. 80 yr old vets who dont last 2 weeks....
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

My guess is that the Lakers don't go for Penny. If any move is made it's to pick up a big who can contribute.... but as we've grown accustomed to, probably the roster is set for the year.

My guesses: I think JJ got the nod due to his knowledge of the tri... PJ's need for a vet got filled... no need for two. Dropping McKie and picking up someone else will cost $ so I think Buss will hesitate.

Kobe, Mihm, Smush, Kwame, Cook, Odom, Sasha, Dev, Bynum, Ronny, Luke, JJ... Devin, Wafer, McKie on IL. I think that's it for 05-06.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
I'm quite sure that other teams wish they had Sasha and Walton on some nights...

Valley High?
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

CUT MCKIE.....SIGN PENNY....ITS THAT SIMPLE (hopefully)
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I've thought about this too. Not just about picking up Penny, but if there was anyone out there we thought could help, who would the Lakers let go now?

McKie's contract has a player option through next year. So despite our poor recent record with ending contracts, we'd be totally wasting the potential of his too. So I don't see them letting McKie go before the season ends and they know if he takes his option or not.

That leaves either Von Wafer or devin Green. Neither has really had a chance to tap into whatever potential they have yet. so whoever gets brought in would clearly have to have more of an immediate impact or more potential than either of these two.

Penny's physical condition makes his immediate impact questionable. You can argue whether he would have more potential than Wafer or Green, but without knowing how much game is left in penny and having been able to see what Wafer and Green can do in the NBA with more time under the belt its a tough call.

With Slava waived, I'd rather see what wafer and Green can do between now and the beginning of next season than flush our investment in them down the drain for another large question mark.

I would like to see a healthy Penny in camp this summer, and if he contributes to the mix...on next season's roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: