John Hollinger On JJ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venti Quattro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: John Hollinger On JJ...

...From ESPN.com Chat:

Quote:

Jay (Burke, VA): John, the LA Times is the only one to report Jimmy Jackson to the Lakers...is it not finalized yet? And if it does, how much will he help? Thanks.

John Hollinger: (3:06 PM ET ) When I saw JJ with Phoenix earlier this year he looked D-U-N done. I'd be surprised if he has much to offer the Lakers.

I finally got a question answered, but not the answer I was looking for. I hope JJ will prove Hollinger wrong.

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Coca James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

thats not good

"I have to be assertive, and if the ball doesn't go in, it gives us a good rebounding opportunity." - Kobe
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Hollinger is an idiot... He hates Kobe despite the fact that Kobe is the most efficient player in the NBA - a stat that Hollinger himself created.

If JJ signed with Miami, Hollinger would've said, "JJ just didn't fit on a running and gunning Phoenix team, but with Shaq, JJ should be able to provide a consistent scoring perimiter scoring option."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Hollinger is an idiot... He hates Kobe despite the fact that Kobe is the most efficient player in the NBA - a stat that Hollinger himself created.

If JJ signed with Miami, Hollinger would've said, "JJ just didn't fit on a running and gunning Phoenix team, but with Shaq, JJ should be able to provide a consistent scoring perimiter scoring option."

I disagree with this assessment. Just because Hollinger isn't a Laker fan, doesn't mean he's ill-informed. I think he's one of the better journalists cover the NBA, and his peers are pretty close to unanimous in saying so. That said, the fact that he doesn't gush over the Lakers doesn't make a bad analyst. The Lakers have been hovering around .500 all season. They don't deserve any props from the media.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: John Hollinger On JJ...

LakerGreatNumber8 wrote:
...From ESPN.com Chat:

Quote:

Jay (Burke, VA): John, the LA Times is the only one to report Jimmy Jackson to the Lakers...is it not finalized yet? And if it does, how much will he help? Thanks.

John Hollinger: (3:06 PM ET ) When I saw JJ with Phoenix earlier this year he looked D-U-N done. I'd be surprised if he has much to offer the Lakers.

I finally got a question answered, but not the answer I was looking for. I hope JJ will prove Hollinger wrong.

I hope this is wrong, but it would certainly extend the logic Mitch applies to his personnel moves (Vlade...Mckie...Jimmy?)
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

I disagree with this assessment. Just because Hollinger isn't a Laker fan, doesn't mean he's ill-informed. I think he's one of the better journalists cover the NBA, and his peers are pretty close to unanimous in saying so. That said, the fact that he doesn't gush over the Lakers doesn't make a bad analyst. The Lakers have been hovering around .500 all season. They don't deserve any props from the media.

Any journalist who bases his reports on what he feels about a player's personality... which is what he does with Kobe... is a bad journalist. Hollinger doesn't compare with Mark Stein and especially with Heisler... the sad thing with NBA reporters is that so many of them have personal biasness... the NBA needs a Peter Gammons, but has yet to find one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

his peers at ESPN? Gush over the Lakers? He makes a point to never say anything positive about the Lakers or Kobe......IMO, he is an idiot that thinks the story is more about him than the player/event.....
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Shaw was done too. Out of the league for a year. So was Harper.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: John Hollinger On JJ...

LakerGreatNumber8 wrote:
...From ESPN.com Chat:

Quote:

he is wrong http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jim_jackson/game_by_game_stats.html any player will find it hard to get going with lack of playing time
PhunkyPhil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

At 35 how could the suns expect him to run with that track team they call a basketball team. The triangle is very friendly to "older" players see RRRRRRRRon Hahahaaaarper and B-Shaw. They were both supposed to be done.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Even if he's done, he's not AS done as Slava...who is D-U-N done.

If anything a crippled JJ is better than a full strength luke.
Mailman04
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I don't about a Peter Gammons, He needs to get his nose out of Boston Red Sox's butt before I call him a good reporter.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: John Hollinger On JJ...

Car54 wrote:

he is wrong http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jim_jackson/game_by_game_stats.html any player will find it hard to get going with lack of playing time

Maybe he is right. Maybe the reason Jackson isn't getting playing time is because he is done.
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I don't like the move signing Jim Jackson but since it looks like they did I think he'll be fine. I'll be the one who will defend him. He didn't play well with the Suns becasue he doesn't fit there. He's a guy who is 35 and pretty much has to be in a half court system. The Lakers is a half court team so I think he'll be fine. What I'm still concerned about is his defense. He's not going to do well against guys that handle the ball, he'll be better as a off the ball defender, and guards or small forwards that play like to post up.
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: John Hollinger On JJ...

Car54 wrote:
LakerGreatNumber8 wrote:
...From ESPN.com Chat:

Quote:

Might be just me but some of those numbers look awful. There are a few 0 for ? and some of them are between 15-20 mins which is good enough for a bench player to get some decent scoring.

This doesn't really look all that well but still I'm pulling for him.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

The triangle is known to have revived some careers. Since there are just over 20 games to play this season. Why not try to see if he has anything left? If he's done, it was a 20 game experiment for the Lakers, who will have spent half a million trying to improve the team. If he can play, he may a player who can help this team for this and possibly next season. He's a free agent, so the cost is minimal. The Lakers didn't give up any healthy players. The Lakers didn't spend any draft picks. Other teams were also interested. They would not want him if they thought he was done. If it works out, the Lakers will be paying him enough to re-sign him for next season. I hope they did sign him for next season on a non-guaranteed contract. A non-guaranteed contract would give him some trade value regardless of whether or not he can play. He could be included in a deal where the other team wants him to clear cap space. Aaron McKie and Chris Mihm will also have ending contracts for the Summer of 2006.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Maybe He isnt getting playing time because pheonix is the deepest team in the league ...lets see the facts ...

Barbosa- 12.6 ppg-48% on 3's-50% Overall- 26.4 minutes

House - 10.2 ppg-40% on 3's -43 % Overall- 17.6 minutes

James Jones- 10.0 ppg- 38% on 3's- 41% overeall -24.7 minutes

Tim Thomas - 12. ppg- 41% on 3's - 44% overal - 27.3 minutes (Last year)

Kurt Thomas -- 9 ppg-49%- 8 rebounds (recently injured) 26.6 minutes.

Projected 5 with amare

Pg- Nash
Sg-Bell
Sf- Diaw
Pf- Marion
C- Stodamire

Take a glance at that team, were does he play, your looking at a 10 main rotation , when stoudamire and thomas are back, thats simply riduclous!!!

For gods sake how does this team not compete for the tittle, im scared looking at the numbers
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:

Or how about this:

Wheras Jimmy Jackson may be D-U-N
Slava is D-U-N-G
senator kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:

Or how about this:

Slava is D-U-N-G

Win.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

We will see...
dgrynch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

JJ can board, play defense, and get his own shot. Let's see how it works out.
Laker2Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject:

JJ can play D too, he's also clutch if kobe needs a guy to kick the ball out to...and don't forget...experience is valuable in the playoff...his conditioning is only thing yet to be seen...as far as his skills...it's been there i watched him a lot when he was a rockets and he was better off the bench than there starting small forward
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

Why even asking for a fool's opinions?
GailGoodrich25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:

Or how about this:

Slava is D-U-N-G

Warlord23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Maybe He isnt getting playing time because pheonix is the deepest team in the league ...lets see the facts ...

Barbosa- 12.6 ppg-48% on 3's-50% Overall- 26.4 minutes

House - 10.2 ppg-40% on 3's -43 % Overall- 17.6 minutes

James Jones- 10.0 ppg- 38% on 3's- 41% overeall -24.7 minutes

Tim Thomas - 12. ppg- 41% on 3's - 44% overal - 27.3 minutes (Last year)

Kurt Thomas -- 9 ppg-49%- 8 rebounds (recently injured) 26.6 minutes.

Projected 5 with amare

Pg- Nash
Sg-Bell
Sf- Diaw
Pf- Marion
C- Stodamire

Take a glance at that team, were does he play, your looking at a 10 main rotation , when stoudamire and thomas are back, thats simply riduclous!!!

For gods sake how does this team not compete for the tittle, im scared looking at the numbers

Phoenix's depth has been on paper only so far. Amare hasn't played a single game, Brian Grant packed it in early, Barbosa missed a bunch of games early in the season. Kurt Thomas is out at least till the second round of the playoffs, James Jones has just gone down with an injury. Despite all this, Jim Jackson rode the pine. Stiffs like Pat Burke got less DNP-CDs than Jackson. The Suns needed Tim Thomas in the worst way, and he's started playing significant minutes from game one.

The reason for JJax's relative inactivity may be injury, incompetence or friction with teammates/coach. It can in no way be attributed to Phoenix's bench depth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: