Solution to Beat the Spurs: Throw Parker on the Floor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LGD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Solution to Beat the Spurs: Throw Parker on the Floor

I don't get it. How can a point guard in this league be shooting 55% from the field? 55%!?! In 2004, after the Lakers lost the first 2 games in the second round of the playoffs, the Lakers decided to change their strategy. Instead of letting Tony Parker drive in for lay-up after lay-up, they went for the ball, fouled him hard, and most importantly, made sure he wouldn't come back in the lane again. 4 games later, the Lakers were in the NBA Finals.

My question is why didn't they do this tonight? Or why didn't they come into tonight's game with this strategy? It took them 40+ minutes to finally foul Parker when he drove to the lane, and I couldn't tell you how glad I was to see it. And what happened? Parker missed both free throws. He's not as tough minded as many would think. Sure, he's learned to redeem himslef a lot better the last couple of years as seen through the two jump shots he nailed in the closing minutes. But I would much rather have him take those shots than driving for an uncontested layup. And you can bet he was shaken and would definitely think twice before driving again.

On another note, I think Kwame has proven he can man-up against TD. There's absolutely no need to double-team the guy. But then again, maybe that's just me.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Bogus flagrant against Odom, BTW. The real question is why other Lakers didn't do the exact same thing: you have to make Parker pay for his aggressiveness. You don't need to try and hurt him, but make him pay for his ventures inside. Most of the game, the lakers acted as if they were afraid to touch him. Play the ball. If you have to go through body to do so, so be it. But make him pay.

SGH
mswift44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:

I completely agree with u. The problem is that this team is soft so they won't do it. I was just telling my friend the same exact thing. If you knock Parker down, he'll start thinking twice about taking it to the hole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Must mean the entire league is soft because it's not often you'll see Parker being leveled in the form of basketball and not out of malice.

Like Stu Lantz mentioned, with the rules the way they are today, where you pretty much cannot touch the guard, all quick PGs can have their way in this league.

See:
Chris Paul
Allen Iverson
Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Brevin Knight

Quick PGs. Decent jumpers. They have field days out there. Even some of the lesser-known quick players have great games thanks to the rules.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

cause anytime you throw a semi hard foul on a spur, its a flagrant.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Forget throwing him on the floor.

This guy could take him off the dribble over and over again!

SIGN HIM MITCH!!!

<Mad Skillz>
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Guaranteed that the league will review it and overturn that call.

Personally, I also think that Parker purposely took a few extra seconds on the floor just to get the refs attention. If he would've popped right back up, it'd have been a regular two-shot foul.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Must mean the entire league is soft because it's not often you'll see Parker being leveled in the form of basketball and not out of malice.

Like Stu Lantz mentioned, with the rules the way they are today, where you pretty much cannot touch the guard, all quick PGs can have their way in this league.

See:
Chris Paul
Allen Iverson
Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Brevin Knight

Quick PGs. Decent jumpers. They have field days out there. Even some of the lesser-known quick players have great games thanks to the rules.

Doesn't matter. Do it anyway. You need to strike fear between the ears.

SGH
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

<Shaq vs. Kobe 2007>
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

i'm sure you're not serious, but if we were EVER to try something like that and get away with it, other teams would do the same to Kobe every game, and we would be dead. wouldn't be worth the W if it took doing something like this to win.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Sshh.. that will be our strategy come playoff time, no more waltzing in the lane.

That foul by Lamar doesn't deserve a flagrant. Parker was off-balanced when he was hit, so what do you think is supposed to happen?
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Stylistic Stylez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

i was PISSED at the refereeing in tonight's game
i was ANGRY at PJ playing luke in tonight's game
i was MAD that kobe wasnt getting any calls in tonight's game
i was FURIOUS that bruce bowen kept whining about every call in tonight's game
i was INFURIATED that Pop keeps calling timeouts every other play in tonight's game

.................but i was OVERJOYED that Parker got his ass tossed aside like a stupid rag doll....too bad Eva!! guess your not the only person pounding Tony!!!
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

See:
Chris Paul
Allen Iverson
Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Brevin Knight

Doesn't matter. Do it anyway. You need to strike fear between the ears.

SGH

I tend to agree. As long as the foul isn't commited out of malice, hard fouls like the one Odom had today are good. That helps set the tone to the opponents that they can't come into it without feeling the consequences.

If these little guys get fouled enough times, they'll stop waltzing in. Even after Parker hit the deck, although the guy went off and hit some jumpers on us on consecutive possessions, he didnt' go driving into the key willy nily as much.
Stylistic Stylez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

give tony some Halls cuz he kept coughing after he got knocked out
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:

osj wrote:
i'm sure you're not serious, but if we were EVER to try something like that and get away with it, other teams would do the same to Kobe every game, and we would be dead. wouldn't be worth the W if it took doing something like this to win.

I don't know if you've been watching games, but Kobe gets murdered and the refs turn the other way. But Kobe is a big guard, and he's more likely to posterize you if you get rough. But I've seen teams get inside Parker's head by punishing him for his forays inside.

The Lakers did it two years ago in the playoffs (after he waltzed through and around them for the first two games). The Lakers then gotr physical and realized he was the key to the SA attack. They put him on the ground a few times and, presto, no more waltzing into the lane .

It worked, and the Lakers won the series.

After awhile, you don't even have to lay a hand on him. He just won't go inside anymore.

SGH
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
osj wrote:

I don't know if you've been watching games, but Kobe gets murdered and the refs turn the other way. But Kobe is a big guard, and he's more likely to posterize you if you get rough. But I've seen teams get inside Parker's head by punishing him for his forays inside.

The Lakers did it two years ago in the playoffs (after he waltzed through and around them for the first two games). The Lakers then gotr physical and realized he was the key to the SA attack. They put him on the ground a few times and, presto, no more waltzing into the lane .

It worked, and the Lakers won the series.

After awhile, you don't even have to lay a hand on him. He just won't go inside anymore.

SGH

Exactly.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject:

osj wrote:

Not at all. You want to make the penetrator pay by making physical contact. You just have to go for the ball. Kobe gets roughed up inside all the time. The difference is that Tony Parker fell awkwardly, and hung on the floor for a short count. Kobe doesn't to physical contact like Parker. For one, he has better control than Parker, and his body is more solid, allowing him to absorb the blows. Second, unlike Parker's "soccer style" act after contact, Kobe act like the hit meant nothing, but will mouth off or glare at the ref if he doesn't get the call. Believe me, Kobe's knocked around quite a bit inside, as he should be if the other team is playing defense. What I hate is watching the Lakers stand around watching Parker penetrate repeatedly with impunity. That's not the way to play defense, and there is no way to justify it.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject:

The reason we were able to defend Parker in the 2004 WCF was because we doubled him and was able to recover somewhat, and when we broke down, we left their mentally weakest guy open, i.e. Hedo. We can't afford that luxury this time. We were also able to score more to put pressure on them.

I really think a viable strategy to defend Parker is to put Odom on him, and then switch if they run the pick-and-roll with Kwame's man. Kwame can space himself against Parker. And Odom can be considered a big, so there won't be a mismatch. And if there were, the other big would be too far from the basket and there would be too little time for him to exploit it(most likely, they'll try to exploit the Kwame on Parker switch.)
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to Beat the Spurs: Throw Parker on the Floor

LaKeRsLiVe wrote:
I don't get it. How can a point guard in this league be shooting 55% from the field? 55%!?! In 2004, after the Lakers lost the first 2 games in the second round of the playoffs, the Lakers decided to change their strategy. Instead of letting Tony Parker drive in for lay-up after lay-up, they went for the ball, fouled him hard, and most importantly, made sure he wouldn't come back in the lane again. 4 games later, the Lakers were in the NBA Finals.

My question is why didn't they do this tonight? Or why didn't they come into tonight's game with this strategy? It took them 40+ minutes to finally foul Parker when he drove to the lane, and I couldn't tell you how glad I was to see it. And what happened? Parker missed both free throws. He's not as tough minded as many would think. Sure, he's learned to redeem himslef a lot better the last couple of years as seen through the two jump shots he nailed in the closing minutes. But I would much rather have him take those shots than driving for an uncontested layup. And you can bet he was shaken and would definitely think twice before driving again.

On another note, I think Kwame has proven he can man-up against TD. There's absolutely no need to double-team the guy. But then again, maybe that's just me.

when Kobe was switched on to parker in the 04 playoffs, the lakers won the seris. When Kobe was switched on to billups on the second half the pistons game, Lakers won. Kobe can shut down Key players, I dont know why phil utilizes this talent.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Parker must eat court! These Euros can't deal with that kind of contact. If Parker got nailed as much as Kobe or AI do, I guarantee he would "retreat" back to the perimeter.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:

YES!!!! Somebody gets it, lay the law down on his ass. A forearm should do it. Am I is saying be dirty, yes i am , im not going to beat around the bush here. Its like saying (bleep), if u want come down the paint getting ready too pay for it.

* But hey we dont have karl malone anymore too do that for us , like in teh semi finals...go ol' karl scared tony to death,
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to Beat the Spurs: Throw Parker on the Floor

Great One wrote:
LaKeRsLiVe wrote:

when Kobe was switched on to parker in the 04 playoffs, the lakers won the seris. When Kobe was switched on to billups on the second half the pistons game, Lakers won. Kobe can shut down Key players, I dont know why phil utilizes this talent.

I think it had more too do with karl layin down the thunder on him a couple times early in gam 3, little tony never came back into the paint area again, and had another dissapearing act
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Hell, Chauncey Billups bothers Parker jusst by bodying him up at the three line.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

parker has no 3 point shoot. hes abandoned it all together for the first time in his career. But yea tony will keep driving down the opponets lanes like he owns it , til someone lays him out, thats all it will take. Unfortunately we have no rough and tough big men in todays game....ben wallace is nice but he doesnt strike u as, a guy like malone, who lay punishment down on you for embarasing him.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
<Shaq vs. Kobe 2007>

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: