Complain all you want, the Lakers are getting better..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Complain all you want, the Lakers are getting better..

I don't know if they will make the playoffs, but I do know the team is getting better and the individual growth of players is improving. Tonight the Spurs were on fire and just beat the Lakers, but if the Lakers give that kind of effort the rest of the season, we are going to be fine. Lamar and Kwame are growing in confidence, and bringing in Jim Jackson will make guys like Luke, Sasha, and Devean mind there P's and Q's so they won't get pulled (as fast). If the Lakers come to play Wed. in New Orleans and pull of a victory we should all feel better about our team. Maybe with teams breathing down our necks, we will take it to another level?

Go Lakers!
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

We're going to make the playoffs...losing to a Top 3 team is nothing to cry about (not that I'm saying you're crying...but others are).
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Exactly, we are doing fine.

Go Lakers
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

They aren't getting "better", they are just playing harder now that they see they could miss the playoffs. We have a lot of BAD losses this year due to lack of effort and concentration...
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

I'm pissed about the loss but I agree with you
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

we had ONE bad quarter today, when the spuds became white-hot from 3-pt land...

the win against the pistons didn't turn us into title contenders overnight...we are still 8th in the west, and the spuds are still 1st...a 7-point loss is no shame.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I have to agree. I'm the first one tp complain after a bad loss, but this wasn't a bad loss. We had a bad stretch...but we're talking about the Spurs here, not the Hawks or the Blazers.

When you're not yet a great team, there's only 1 or 2 ways you can beat a great team. Either you play a near perfect game, or you hope that great team has a bad night. Saturday, we had a perfect stretch late in the 3rd AND we were the beneficiaries of Detroit going stone cold for about 6 minutes.

Tonight, we collapsed on Timmy, he kicked it out, and his guys were making shots all night. That's kinda what championship teams do.

We did some good things tonight. And we are starting to get better again.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Complain all you want, the Lakers are getting better..

RMurphy_22 wrote:
I don't know if they will make the playoffs, but I do know the team is getting better and the individual growth of players is improving.

Not sure I agree yet -- the Lakers certainly turned it up a notch against Detroit & San Antonio but how will they play against the non-elite teams? Will they play down to their level or will they keep the same intensity they played with against the Pistons or Spurs?
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

I agree the Lakers are improving.
RedSnapper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I'd feel better about this loss if they hadn't gone so far into the tank defensively in the third quarter. They've always been able to score - but they do seem to execute the offense more often now.

But defensively, they are "jekyll and hyde" - game to game, quarter to quarter, posession to posession.

I thought they were getting it together after they put together some smart offense and solid defense three games in a row there, then they went back to looking like a high-pick lottery team.

I do believe this team is improving... but I hope that isn't just because that's what I want to believe.
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Another person in agreement. I was worried this team was getting worse as the season progressed which is atypical for a jackson coached team. Prior to kobe going nuts from three point range, the team limited it's three point attempts which I found encouraging. I think this team is playing hard but isn't physically equipped to play the type of defense necessary to beat san antonio and phoenix.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I think the Laker defense had regressed as the season progresses. And since defense is actually more critical to this team's success over the course of the season and into the playoffs (assuming they make it), that is cause for concern.

SGH
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:

osj wrote:

It's easy to get white-hot when you're being left wide-open. These are the kind of defensive mistakes that could dearly cost the team some of the next couple of games, where the schedule is absolutely brutal. Assuming the team makes the playoffs, these defensive mess-ups will guarantee a quit exit.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

osj wrote:

the win against the pistons didn't turn us into title contenders overnight...we are still 8th in the west, and the spuds are still 1st...a 7-point loss is no shame.

Did you watch the 4th quarter? Because that was brutal as well.

SGH
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
osj wrote:

Did you watch the 4th quarter? Because that was brutal as well.

SGH

game was lost in the 3rd...in the 4th, we were just playing desperation catch-up ball...
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

aiel wrote:
Another person in agreement. I was worried this team was getting worse as the season progressed which is atypical for a jackson coached team. Prior to kobe going nuts from three point range, the team limited it's three point attempts which I found encouraging. I think this team is playing hard but isn't physically equipped to play the type of defense necessary to beat san antonio and phoenix.

Problem is, we've taken so many shots to the chin against bad teams this year that we've kinda backed ourselves into a corner. We've gonna have to put a couple of near perfect games together against some of these great teams we have yet to play to protect our spot in the playoffs.
PROUDLAKERFAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tonight the Spurs were on fire and just beat the Lakers, but if the Lakers give that kind of effort the rest of the season, we are going to be fine

I don't know about that, if the continue allowing teams to score 36 points in one quarter, they won't be fine at all. They were outscored 36-17, is that the "kind of effort" you are talking about?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers lost because they didn't feel like playing defense for the entire 48 minute span. After contesting shots the first half, they abandoned any semblance of defensive discipline during the third and most of the fourth quarter. They could have beaten the Spurs tonight; they are their own worst enemy.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

They played their asses off, Spurs didnt miss, simple as that. If we play the Spurs on a day where they play normal offense, we would have wiped our asses with them. If they continue to play like this, we will make the playoffs.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Complain all you want, the Lakers are getting better..

RMurphy_22 wrote:
I don't know if they will make the playoffs, but I do know the team is getting better and the individual growth of players is improving. Tonight the Spurs were on fire and just beat the Lakers, but if the Lakers give that kind of effort the rest of the season, we are going to be fine. Lamar and Kwame are growing in confidence, and bringing in Jim Jackson will make guys like Luke, Sasha, and Devean mind there P's and Q's so they won't get pulled (as fast). If the Lakers come to play Wed. in New Orleans and pull of a victory we should all feel better about our team. Maybe with teams breathing down our necks, we will take it to another level?

Go Lakers!

THANK YOU.

finally a post without someone crying and complaining. I agree, Lakers looked better these past few games. If it wasnt for the Spurs getting really hot in the 3rd, it would of been alot closer at the end. Hopefully we can keep this level of play throuought the rest of the season. It might not win against the Spurs, but im sure it would beat other teams.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

I still think it is a bad loss.

It is a loss we should take against a team that is much deeper, cohesive, mature and talented than us, but leaving Ginobili wide open 4 times is not acceptable.

I'll take the Finley 3's because he was being aggressively closed out on. I can't accept Ginobili hitting 4 set shot 3's on us.

I just can't.

I hate that chump.

The refs need to realize Bowen is tapping Kobe and holding him nearly every time until the game is pretty much out of contention.

Phil needs to play Jimmy. Why else did we sign him?

Good night and sweet dreams all.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:

PROUDLAKERFAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If they continue to play like this, we will make the playoffs.

Wow! If we continue to play like this, we will make the playoffs...wow!
What part of having a horrible third quarter you don't understand.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe had 43 but the rest didn't do much in scoring.

Rebounding and Defense was consistent again and is a good sign! Way to go Kwame with a block and 7 boards, Mihm with 2 blks and 6 boards, Odom with a block and 7 boards. These stats show heart and passion and we didn't need Turiaf!

If Jackson could hit a few shots a game we could be very dangerous. Too bad Smush and Sasha really looked like CBA players against the likes of Tony Parker and Van Exel....
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:

The refs need to realize Bowen is tapping Kobe and holding him nearly every time until the game is pretty much out of contention.

Add to that Bowen's usual "defensive" technique of undercutting & sticking out his foot under the shooter's leg, is that even legal?
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: